Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA fine against drone photographer dismissed.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA fine against drone photographer dismissed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 12:28 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JohnShe,
My problem is not that I do not agree with regulation, because I know that in every type of activity there will be a few who will push the boundaries and hurt someone or damage property and ruin it for everyone. Now, as far as these smaller e-machines, I don't see them as being flying terrors that are going to take people's heads off, but they could cut someone or put an eye out, and that would be terrible. I think most of the people on this thread are not the ones out there flying them over congested city blocks and over heavily populated areas, and if they are they shouldn't be doing it.
IMO, though if we are going to allow commercial ventures such as this, you need to be prepared and covered so that if and when an accident occurs you are covered.
I do think this country is over regulated, I mean look at what small businesses have to do just to be able to try and make a profit, but a few bad apples have ruined for everyone. I do not want to see those bad apples ruin it for the rest of the hobbyist here who just want to fly and do their thing without trying to turn this into a "job". I got enough of those.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:30 PM
DocYates

Oh yeah, John, if a nut bag wants to peer in our windows with a drone and camera, I doubt the typical commercial regulation is going to stop them. Sick perverts like that are not going to follow rules of any type.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:34 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

oh my ****ing God this has gone on long enough and is annoying!!!!!
Old 03-26-2014, 12:41 PM
JohnShe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DocYates
Oh yeah, John, if a nut bag wants to peer in our windows with a drone and camera, I doubt the typical commercial regulation is going to stop them. Sick perverts like that are not going to follow rules of any type.
Right, you cannot stop a murderer from murdering someone, but you can slow him down. As far as I am concerned, the regulations won't effect me directly but they will help. I want the drone operator to be licensed, insured, and properly qualified. I don't want him flying a toy, I want a him operating a fully certified drone.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:42 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha.....
I assure you that you are very very wrong on this account. I pay a federal license, a state license, a county license and a city license, all to the tune of about $1300. Next I pay liability insurance to the tune of about $11000 a year. then add required membership to the state medical society, the county medical society and the state professional society just to be able to practice. Oh yeah, and if you want to prescribe medications you also need a certificate and license from the DEA to the tune of $500 per year. I know what is required from federal and state and local regulators when it comes to business. Every government office wants a piece of your "self employed" pie, and can figure out a way to get it.
Now back to my original premise, if I decide to go out of my office and open up a toenail clinic a few hours a wekk, at my house, for cash, and only do "toenails" from folks who live in my state, does that mean I won't need these? Oh wait, I also have to take into consideration the zoning ordinances for my neighborhood and make sure that commercial ventures are allowed here, is that not also correct?
When you enter the "business" side of these ventures, it is a whole new ball game. While I agree it sucks donkey nads, I did not write the laws, but have seen enough of them enforced to know that they will find a way to regulate your activity all the way to the ground if you are going to charge for it OR you can rst assured that someone will be watching you with a microscope and the first time you go above 400' they will be there to slap yo' hiney and set you straight.
The Federal license is for Federally regulated drugs and other products that are interstate commerce related. I am an engineer providing technical services and I pay a state license but no federal licence. Plumbers do not pay federal license. The federal government has no say in how your house is built, that is the state using codes that the Federal government has no say. So it is wrong to say that the federal government can ask for license and tax for all commerce.

Your toenail clinic does not require a federal license, it may requre a state license depending on your state. Zoning ordinances are usually a county or city function and the Federal government also has no say in that. My whole point is that sUAVs flying under 400 feet are better controled by state and local government just as your toenail clinic is.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 03-26-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:49 PM
Sport_Pilot

God this has gone on long enough and is annoying!!!!!
Then don't log into the thread! I enjoy a healthy discussion myself.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:51 PM
Sport_Pilot

I want the drone operator to be licensed, insured, and properly qualified.
For the most part so do I though I can see some exceptions for very very small sUAV's. I just don't want the Federal government doing this because they will stop all progress and actually be very ineffective as this is mostly very local.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:14 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
CJ

You've actually touched on the root problem. Since the law was less than clear about legalities of such operations I decided not to engage in them...and that is a point that is so important...didn't want to get a $10,000 fine that would cost me thousands to defend... as long as the perspective of mainstream is as it is, it is a losing proposition to entertain such business ventures...But you can bet on one thing for sure, if I had better finances I'd certainly buck the system more.
"Good men must not obey the laws too well." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-26-2014, 05:52 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
"Good men must not obey the laws too well." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
CJ, you're insights are above average. I've often been characterized as an anarchist but I think you see me more as a transcendentalist...you are getting real close...LOL
Old 03-26-2014, 06:02 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
For the most part so do I though I can see some exceptions for very very small sUAV's. I just don't want the Federal government doing this because they will stop all progress and actually be very ineffective as this is mostly very local.
You mean like they stopped commercial aviation in its tracks. You can't take a plane anywhere you have to drive, take the train or an ocean liner to travel overseas.

Get it straight, unless you live in an alternate universe, the FAA is an essential government infrastructure service that has performed pretty well throughout its history. I thoroughly expect it to manage the integration of drones into our NAS about as well as it has done everything else.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:05 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by JohnShe
I thoroughly expect it to manage the integration of drones into our NAS about as well as it has done everything else.
So we are in deep do-do? LOL
Old 03-26-2014, 06:09 PM
JohnShe

So we are in deep do-do? LOL

Yup, it will be terrible, the drones flying over your home will be expertly piloted and the airframe will be reliable enough that you won't have to worry about it crashing into the window that it is looking through.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:35 PM
Sport_Pilot

Get it straight, unless you live in an alternate universe, the FAA is an essential government infrastructure service that has performed pretty well throughout its history. I thoroughly expect it to manage the integration of drones into our NAS about as well as it has done everything else.
For drones that must fly through navigable airspace you are correct. But there is not such infrastructure for non-navigable airspace, after all they considered it un-navigable except for helicopters.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:03 PM
cj_rumley

CJ, you're insights are above average. I've often been characterized as an anarchist but I think you see me more as a transcendentalist...you are getting real close...LOL
Not consciously............tho that is a 'specialized' instance of anarchy, where the archy whose authority being questioned is theological. Does fit in a way...........we've both mocked some clown that thinks the Pope rules from Muncie, Indiana.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:52 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
For drones that must fly through navigable airspace you are correct. But there is not such infrastructure for non-navigable airspace, after all they considered it un-navigable except for helicopters.
This is a misconception based on past history. The FAA has been studying the issue for several years and WILL take action that will probably include ALL airspace. That action WILL be supported by congress critters because it will be sold to the public as a 'safety' issue (and it really is but do we really need mommy to tell us how to deal with it?). Ain't Amerika great?
Old 03-27-2014, 04:27 AM
DocYates

Sport Pilot....you again are not entirely correct on the federal regulation of medicine. One can pay the federal license (DEA # required to prescribe medications) and although the medications are regulated on federal level, the physician has no rights to write a prescription across state lines legally. It usually also requires you to belong to the national organizations in one form or another. And physicians tend to be the most highliy regulated profession, despite what is already considered strenuous training.
But lest I digress, my premise is that the feds are going to regulate these drones / UAVs despite mine or your interpretation of navigatable airspace. As a government entity they probably would not have gotten involved but the spotlight has been too firmly placed on the drones by the mainstream media and now the public has a complete misconception about those who are flying them and the capabilities of these UAVs. The general public thinks they are capable of delivering DVDs and panty hose from Amazon, carrying an automatic shotgun, and following their every move with infrared vision. So despite your claims that the airspace below 400' is yours, and you should be able to make a few bucks with your toys, the government thinks otherwise, and the majority of the populace will back them on this issue. I'd be willing to take a bet on that fact.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:01 AM
Sport_Pilot

....you again are not entirely correct on the federal regulation of medicine. One can pay the federal license (DEA # required to prescribe medications) and although the medications are regulated on federal level, the physician has no rights to write a prescription across state lines legally.
I never said it gave you the right to write perscription's across state lines, just that the drugs and products you are licensed for are considered interstate commerce and that gives the Feds the right to license. It is the interstate traffic of drugs and products to your patients not the interstate services of perscriptions that give them this right. I agree that the government will regulate them. But I am not so sure it will be for long. Both the FAA and Congress seem to think they have the right to regulate the airspace for small intrastate sUAV's. But the court's differ, or at least some judges will differ, it remains to be seen if the majority of judges agree with the FAA and Congress.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:06 AM
DocYates

So sport pilot by your definition, then the federal government can make these rules, since these items, the drones / UAV, are mostly licensed for sale across the state lines. And you are right it will be tied up in court for years, but you and I would be foolish to spend thousands of dollars to fight this when it would be easier to just follow the rules.....they know this and that is why they will win in the end.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:40 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Dump this thread!!!
Old 03-27-2014, 07:15 AM
Jim Branaum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So sport pilot by your definition, then the federal government can make these rules, since these items, the drones / UAV, are mostly licensed for sale across the state lines. And you are right it will be tied up in court for years, but you and I would be foolish to spend thousands of dollars to fight this when it would be easier to just follow the rules.....they know this and that is why they will win in the end.
Foolish but principled.

His angst is not wrong, just out of order, a generation or 3 too late and in many cases not based on the correct facts but ideas, impressions and desires. That is part of what makes it so difficult. His 'class' of sUAV flyer will do the things that ultimately will cause the actions he is against but he has no concept of the rule of unintended consequences and will continue to exercise his rights until they are taken away for 'probable' cause. That is NOT an aggressive statement but a simple reporting of provable facts (look at ALL the sUAV videos that have gone viral for numerous examples that drive public (and legislative) opinion). The unfortunate thing is that the USSC has already had several cases in history where the opinions were centered on safety rather than rights, and so stated!

The first time one of these things injures (or worse kills) an innocent bystander (or ANYONE for that matter) the outcry will be for stringent regulation. That is what drove the 1928 CAA/FAA actions and they are of the same class as we have been discussing. The recent rash of 'incidents' will continue until the public, possibly under instruction by the media, has had enough.

Here is a question for SP. I am interested in how can you insist on more rights for your sUAV's then are granted GA pilots? What is the basis of that demand?
Old 03-27-2014, 07:20 AM
Propworn

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

One of the reasons the FAA and Transport Canada want to regulate the commercial side of these drones/UAS/UAV. This professor built this thing, barely knows how to fly it (he lost it in a gust of wind) and it landed across the street in a controlled crash down town showing off in front of the media. Then he goes on to state he intends to let students fly this as part of a curriculum he will be teaching. Great going downtown make sure you have your hard hat on.
http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2014/03...entre-project/

Dennis
Old 03-27-2014, 07:30 AM
Sport_Pilot

So sport pilot by your definition, then the federal government can make these rules, since these items, the drones / UAV, are mostly licensed for sale across the state lines.
If they want to regulate their features and capabilities, yes. But that does not mean they can regulate how they are used. BTW it is not my definition, basic law school stuff.

I do not plan to use commercial drones or even recreationally, so I will not be spending money. But I suspect the defendant (is it Packy?) has already spent more than the fine. IMO he is lucky someone did not pull some local ordinance on him because what he did was dangerous. The local authorityies were probably told that the FAA trumped him. I kinda hope that they now do so, not sure how that would affect his case with the FAA.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:31 AM
Sport_Pilot

Here is a question for SP. I am interested in how can you insist on more rights for your sUAV's then are granted GA pilots? What is the basis of that demand?
Because the GA pilot is not flying through personal property with permission of the property owner, and is flying among very large airplanes full of lots of people, and do considerable more damage when hitting people on the ground. Duh!
Old 03-27-2014, 07:34 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Propworn
One of the reasons the FAA and Transport Canada want to regulate the commercial side of these drones/UAS/UAV. This professor built this thing, barely knows how to fly it (he lost it in a gust of wind) and it landed across the street in a controlled crash down town showing off in front of the media. Then he goes on to state he intends to let students fly this as part of a curriculum he will be teaching. Great going downtown make sure you have your hard hat on.
http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2014/03...entre-project/

Dennis
The reason they want to regulate it is because GA commericial pilots don't want the competition. Several GA and commercial orginizations are demanding this. Just as GA get the shaft when the airliners lobby the FAA, so will commerical sUAV's to GA.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:37 AM
Sport_Pilot

His angst is not wrong, just out of order, a generation or 3 too late and in many cases not based on the correct facts but ideas,
You are the one with idea's, I posted proof with the caveat that later legislation may have overriden the original FAA act. I asked you to show proof of your idea's. You have not been able to find one iota of proof.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.