Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA fine against drone photographer dismissed.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA fine against drone photographer dismissed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 07:34 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
he
You did not reference any post and I cannot find any such post. Please reference it. As far sar being a liar. Did it occur that I simply missed the post YOU DID NOT REFERENCE?
I have provided this reference. Does anyone else have a problem with the reference?
Old 04-28-2014, 06:09 AM
koastrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been a good one. 1026 comments? Trying to unravel the thing. We have the FAA, AMA, and the guy that wants to fly their little aircraft in peace. We also have those that enjoy their own forums and lively exchanges no matter what the subject. Over the years I have noticed things have a way of working out. Talking to a buddy last week about flying. He and I agreed we would make it (flying days) Fridays and Saturdays this year. Why those days? On Sunday those chopper and drone guys show up! They do and the line stays busy. There has been some unhappiness between the drone folks and the chopper people. I think these sort of conflicts have come up in the past, chopper and fixed wing, sport people and competitors, 3-D and just about everyone else, and we just as well throw in turbines. What about electric, gas, and glo. Perhaps we just like confrontation. I feel sure the judge in this case was thrilled. All the problems with the choked up court system and in comes one of those desperadoes that fly a camera on a model aircraft.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:50 PM
smeckert

Desperado , he's a sociopath ! Didn't read the whole thread ?
I agree with your statement . Reminds me of the case of the inmate suing the state because they made him eat "crunchy peanut butter" . "Crunchy peanut butter , I only eat creamy "!
So on the bus he goes and off to court .
Old 04-28-2014, 02:52 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

to h... with the drones flythem till u get caught
Old 04-28-2014, 03:22 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by [email protected]
to h... with the drones flythem till u get caught
Or until you injure someone or cause damage.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:51 PM
smeckert

https://vimeo.com/93113278

Is this unsafe ? Commercial use ?
Old 04-28-2014, 04:06 PM
smeckert

These unacceptable ? Flying over pilot's , spectators and the pits .

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...-jet-show.html
Old 04-28-2014, 06:15 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by smeckert
These unacceptable ? Flying over pilot's , spectators and the pits .
l
Is this a troll? It looked like a well managed club flying event. Should have been a lot of fun. Flight line and spectator area well marked off, lots of room on the far side of the field to fly and do stunts. Never saw an unsafe maneuver.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:24 PM
JohnShe

Is this unsafe ? Commercial use ?
Is this a troll? The first 20 seconds made no sense. When something like this begins with a statement like, "This really happened" it raises my hackles. I immediate suspect a hoax or a scam. The rest of the clip, despite the irritating music, seem rather innocuous. About the only thing that bothered me was the lack of flight line/spectator separation markings. But this isn't crucial for such a small group. But, I was a little tense when the Phantom II drifted awfully close to the flight line during take off.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:42 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Thank goodness... no calls to 911 needed.LOL
Old 04-29-2014, 04:48 AM
bradpaul

Oh oh............. John get that dialing finger warmed up......................................

http://www.weather.com/video/destruc...ws/top-stories
Old 04-29-2014, 02:38 PM
smeckert

Not a troll . Just checking your thoughts . It's good to see you don't hate all drone use , just any you don't agree with .
I enjoyed the point of view these were filmed from .
The point I was trying to make is this was an enjoyable video .
Now if they repost it next year with the event announcement , is that a commercial use that is banned by the FAA. Would anyone consider it as advertising , the RC air show ?
Would you call 911 on them ? (This might make me a gnome , not really a troll) Do they have 911 in Italy ?
Old 04-29-2014, 02:43 PM
smeckert

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Oh oh............. John get that dialing finger warmed up......................................

http://www.weather.com/video/destruc...ws/top-stories
Maybe no compensation changed hands . The Weather Channel just bought the drone pilot's jacket for $5000 , and he forgot the memory card in the pocket .
Old 04-29-2014, 04:16 PM
JohnShe

Not a troll . Just checking your thoughts . It's good to see you don't hate all drone use , just any you don't agree with .
I enjoyed the point of view these were filmed from .
The point I was trying to make is this was an enjoyable video .
Now if they repost it next year with the event announcement , is that a commercial use that is banned by the FAA. Would anyone consider it as advertising , the RC air show ?
Would you call 911 on them ? (This might make me a gnome , not really a troll) Do they have 911 in Italy ?
Ya got a few things wrong. I don't hate drone use per se. I hate irresponsible behavior. Irresponsible behavior can and will result in damage and injury. I don't want my property damaged or myself injured. So when I see irresponsible behavior I respond to it responsibly.

You clearly do not understand how commercial use is defined to recognize the difference between recreation and commercial activity. You need to realize that commerce means making a profit. If someone is operating a remote controlled aircraft for pay then it is commercial. Any case where operation of a remote controlled aircraft is for fun or competition for a non cash prize then then it is recreational. For the purposes of public law 119-95 Recreation activity is regulated by recreational model airplane associations. Commercial use in the US is regulated by the FAA. Since you are referring to Italian law, I don't have a clue. If I were visiting Italy and witnessed or felt threatened by irresponsible behavior I would call the Carabinieri and let the guys in the really cool polished hats settle it out.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:04 PM
smeckert

Fair enough . The only thing I would add , are my views of responsible behavior . I think location can make all the difference in what's considered dangerous and exploring new technology .(my view that I would never force on you) A blanket law doesn't fit everywhere or situation .
Old 04-29-2014, 05:21 PM
JohnShe

Fair enough . The only thing I would add , are my views of responsible behavior . I think location can make all the difference in what's considered dangerous and exploring new technology .(my view that I would never force on you) A blanket law doesn't fit everywhere or situation .
I think that certain fundamental principals apply everywhere. To list just a few:

1. Don't fly in a careless or reckless manner.
2. Learn how to fly your aircraft in a safe and remote place away from buildings and unruly spectators.
3. Fly away from spectators, never directly towards them or above them.
4. Do not fly over private property without permission and liability insurance.

I am sure more thoughts can be added to this list. Your concept of a blanket law is meaningless.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:20 PM
Jim Branaum

Originally Posted by JohnShe
I think that certain fundamental principals apply everywhere. To list just a few:

1. Don't fly in a careless or reckless manner.
2. Learn how to fly your aircraft in a safe and remote place away from buildings and unruly spectators.
3. Fly away from spectators, never directly towards them or above them.
4. Do not fly over private property without permission and liability insurance.

I am sure more thoughts can be added to this list. Your concept of a blanket law is meaningless.
John,

I think you might have misstated a couple of those.

#2 should read: Learn to fly your aircraft in a safe and remote place away from buildings, vehicles, unruly spectators and bystanders.

#3 should read: Fly away from spectators and never fly towards nor above them or bystanders.

That is just MY OPINION.

YMMV
Old 04-30-2014, 05:44 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
John,

I think you might have misstated a couple of those.

#2 should read: Learn to fly your aircraft in a safe and remote place away from buildings, vehicles, unruly spectators and bystanders.

#3 should read: Fly away from spectators and never fly towards nor above them or bystanders.

That is just MY OPINION.

YMMV
Nice edits, I have no complaints.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:59 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Nice edits, I have no complaints.
Do you guys really only have problems with flying away from the "unruly" spectators??? How bout the "ruly" spectators??? LOL

Sounds like John would accept Jim's proposal without question...its a new...but less brave world out there....

You know, when I was growing up there was always some tattle-tail kid around... Just couldn't wait to tell on someone regardless of any real impact the so-called indiscretion caused... I now realize those kids grew up but really didn't out grow that tendency...and some are now into every hobby...including this one. I even had one of those tattle=tale types report me for flying a 10 oz. foam airplane... Was once a great country but it never was because of purcys like that.

Last edited by littlecrankshaf; 04-30-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:45 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Do you guys really only have problems with flying away from the "unruly" spectators??? How bout the "ruly" spectators??? LOL

Sounds like John would accept Jim's proposal without question...its a new...but less brave world out there....

You know, when I was growing up there was always some tattle-tail kid around... Just couldn't wait to tell on someone regardless of any real impact the so-called indiscretion caused... I now realize those kids grew up but really didn't out grow that tendency...and some are now into every hobby...including this one. I even had one of those tattle=tale types report me for flying a 10 oz. foam airplane... Was once a great country but it never was because of purcys like that.
I guess that you were quite the bully?

By definition, ruly spectators won't get in the way when asked politely. Unruly spectators, usually uncontrollable kids and bullies need to be avoided.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:53 AM
bradpaul

Not quite sure what is being ackomplished with rule suggestions. if you are flying "recreational" and an AMA member the rules are already published by the AMA. If you are flying". "commercial" then you need to comply with FAA rules, if they are ever published. If you are flying "recreational" and not AMA then you are on your own as to liability but as to what, where, how you fly the FAA has issued no regulation other then the "suggested" AC 91-57 .
Old 04-30-2014, 10:47 AM
Jim Branaum

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf

LCS, spectators and bystanders can be very difficult.

I can tell you have never had someone drive up to your flying field and march out to the middle of the runway with his dog and then wander around the overfly area under the upwind leg while you were in the air and refuse to vacate that area because he had "rights". I have and it got real nasty. Of course he was on PRIVATE property and needed to be educated as to what rights he had there, but that did not happen until I found a place to land. Yes, there was conversation about involving the gendarmes when he got heated as we told him that he was trespassing based on signage at the fence between the spectators area we provided and the pits. Unfortunately he was employed by a fairly active local media concern and we 'paid' for our refusal to allow him to remain on the runway side of the safety fence. He claimed a club member told him it was ok.

As far as not flying towards or over bystanders I was pretty sure that was common ground so your remarks astound me.

So I guess you get to choose. Do you want a not so brave new world where common sense makes reasonable requirements for flight around people, or the brave new world where the bystanders and spectators just live with whoever and whatever is flown towards them with no question about safety?

By the way, I was just correcting what I saw as errors.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:57 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Not quite sure what is being ackomplished with rule suggestions. if you are flying "recreational" and an AMA member the rules are already published by the AMA. If you are flying". "commercial" then you need to comply with FAA rules, if they are ever published. If you are flying "recreational" and not AMA then you are on your own as to liability but as to what, where, how you fly the FAA has issued no regulation other then the "suggested" AC 91-57 .
It started when smeckert said that "blanket laws" , whatever that means, don't apply. So I listed a few thought that could be construed as "universal concepts" Jim hopped on board and improved my language.

Yes you are right, in the here and now,we have no FAA regulations for commercial drones, an FAA advisory circular for recreational activity and a profound safety code from the AMA. But the question remains, are these "blanket laws" or something else? I am awaiting smeckert's reply.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:08 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
I have provided this reference. Does anyone else have a problem with the reference?

This was your post.

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Don't want propworn and other Canucks thinking they're immune from bad UAV press.
http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Transport+Canada+RCMP+investigate+unmanned+vehicle +close+commercial+flights/9764722/story.html

Yeah, but as our minority say there is no way any airliner could ever be damaged by one of these toys! In my opinion their beliefs outweigh physics, logic, common sense, and rational thought.
So where was your reference? Another post?
Old 04-30-2014, 12:27 PM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last week a judge grounded a fleet of 4 drones in Texas. He stated that until the FAA does not issue the regulations, they will not fly (it was a commercial operation). He added that the FAA had until the end of next year (2015) to do so. I guess those 4 were being used commercially w/o a license.

Gerry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.