Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA fine against drone photographer dismissed.

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA fine against drone photographer dismissed.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:32 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Ha, Ha! You have misunderstood my snide sarcasm.

I still think that what he did was wrong. keeping the video for his own use is a perversion. Posting it on a public forum is a violation of her privacy and a perversion.
ok ok....
is that more sarcasm or have you now taken this thread on the tangent of some perversion of FPV pilots?
Old 06-13-2014, 08:59 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
ok ok....
is that more sarcasm or have you now taken this thread on the tangent of some perversion of FPV pilots?
What does FPV have to do with it?

He could have snuck his camera around under his beach towel, it would still be a perversion.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:05 AM
littlecrankshaf

Ok so are we just talking about perversion in general now? You assertion has nothing to do with the threads subject matter? I guess if you keep moving the goal post no one can make a point and discuss your position on anything as it relates to this thread...
Old 06-13-2014, 09:37 AM
JohnShe

Ok so are we just talking about perversion in general now? You assertion has nothing to do with the threads subject matter? I guess if you keep moving the goal post no one can make a point and discuss your position on anything as it relates to this thread...
You didn't answer my question about FPV. It could have been LOS.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:53 AM
littlecrankshaf

Hard to tell if any question of yours are rhetorical cynicism or just a sarcastic response to incite more argument...as you admit to such...
Old 06-13-2014, 12:53 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
That is totally incorrect. Unless he sells the video it is completely legal. In fact that was the point of the site that hosted the video.
That is not quite true. If you shoot a personal photo or video without another's permission you are potentially liable for all sorts of things. Making that action public by posting it anywhere is an invitation to disaster because it is a clear invasion of privacy.

I know a very foolish young man who's daddy spent over $5K defending him against a sexual charge brought by a school district stemming from a photo the kid shot in a high school English class that was taken from the top of his desk - no, not pointing down at all! The only reason *I* know about it is the daddy asked me for a recommendation for a good lawyer.

That invasion of privacy issue is one of the things that is being bandied about in many state houses today.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:30 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
That is not quite true. If you shoot a personal photo or video without another's permission you are potentially liable for all sorts of things. Making that action public by posting it anywhere is an invitation to disaster because it is a clear invasion of privacy.

I know a very foolish young man who's daddy spent over $5K defending him against a sexual charge brought by a school district stemming from a photo the kid shot in a high school English class that was taken from the top of his desk - no, not pointing down at all! The only reason *I* know about it is the daddy asked me for a recommendation for a good lawyer.

That invasion of privacy issue is one of the things that is being bandied about in many state houses today.
Legal and libel are two different things you don't have to do anything wrong or illegal to be sued.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:53 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by ira d
Legal and libel are two different things you don't have to do anything wrong or illegal to be sued.
Our legal system for civil liability issues is based on English Common Law. We use the courts and judges to settle matters. The loser is usually considered to have done something wrong. Ideally illegality is based on statute and in that case, after court proceedings, the loser is considered to have done something wrong. So to me you are just splitting hairs.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:55 PM
JohnShe

Hard to tell if any question of yours are rhetorical cynicism or just a sarcastic response to incite more argument...as you admit to such...
Are we having fun yet?
Old 06-17-2014, 04:34 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Are we having fun yet?
Some folks are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR39DErszRE
Old 06-17-2014, 06:46 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by 804

ROTFLMAO. Although, someone could have been injured. The crowed was truly fortunate.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:24 AM
Sport_Pilot

ROTFLMAO. Although, someone could have been injured. The crowed was truly fortunate.
So would you have them arrest the LA t-shirt?
Old 06-18-2014, 02:02 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Boy, I guess so.
The way you and Branaum have been going on here,
I would have expected a decapitation, amputation,
or at least a lopped off nose or ear out of this.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:38 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 804
Boy, I guess so.
The way you and Branaum have been going on here,
I would have expected a decapitation, amputation,
or at least a lopped off nose or ear out of this.
Copied and pasted.
To be forwarded to family members of recent RC related tragedies.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:11 AM
bradpaul

Default Coming soon to your local PD

Just wait until the next eight year old kid sets up a lemonade stand without a permit.

http://www.desert-wolf.com/dw/produc...ol-copter.html
Old 06-19-2014, 06:59 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't believe this thread is still droning on. Give it a rest already people, and go fly something.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:09 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Just wait until the next eight year old kid sets up a lemonade stand without a permit.

I can now invision a battle between an illegal drone and an FAA inforcement drone. I suspect John would want something more lethal for the FAA.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:20 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by bradpaul

Well, the FAA has announced the opening of the fourth UAS test area, in TX, maybe they should take it out there and test it.

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...m?newsId=16454
Old 06-20-2014, 05:21 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
So would you have them arrest the LA t-shirt?
SP sometimes you are clueless.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:36 PM
koastrc

1344 post? Is that it? I was wondering how the stand your ground anti-gun thing was going to play out? Was there anything settled? Just asking.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:01 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by koastrc
1344 post? Is that it? I was wondering how the stand your ground anti-gun thing was going to play out? Was there anything settled? Just asking.
Shhh. That talk was banned!
Old 06-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Silent-AV8R

FAA just issued new model aircraft guidelines (June 2014)

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...6474&cid=TW223
Old 06-23-2014, 05:01 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R

It seems to me like it's always been that way. None of these "guidelines" suggest any form of licensing, or permission needed from the FAA for the "recreational" use of a model airplane. It seems to me like people are still going to "fly under the radar". People will do what they want to do with their "toys". So, where's the beef?
Old 06-23-2014, 05:07 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R

Wow, the special rule document is 17 pages of fun, a real page turner. It is open for public comment for 30 days starting from an unspecified date. One thing I noticed was the lack of consideration for a buddy box when flying FPV. Without a buddy box, FPV is DOA. I suppose some people will comment on that. I intend to carefully reread it a few times to see if my recreational use of model aircraft may be unnecessarily impeded. In which case I may make a comment.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:29 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From the published guidelines, it would appear as long as you are following the AMA guidelines, do not exceed 400', remain line of sight, fly in Type G airspace outside of an airport, they plan to leave us alone. Aircraft are limited to 55#, unless certified thru an agency (AMA is the only one I know of that currently has a program in the US). The next paragragraph after that basically creates whisteblower program that allows those who feel you are going outside those rules to notify the local FAA office for investigation. Sounds to me like they followed the AMA guidelines pretty closely, and are very adamant about recognizing commercial vs. non-commercial intentions. From my comprehension of this, there is more to come, and if you plan on doing anything for compensation you will require a license from some entity. It is not explained yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.