Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA fine against drone photographer dismissed.

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA fine against drone photographer dismissed.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:16 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been saying this through out this thread now some one bigger is taking it to the AMA and i hope more people get these flying pieces of china junk out of the AMA. joe http://www.bvmjets.com/Safety/AMA0714-1.pdf
Old 07-31-2014, 01:54 AM
phlpsfrnk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joebahl
I have been saying this through out this thread now some one bigger is taking it to the AMA and i hope more people get these flying pieces of china junk out of the AMA. joe http://www.bvmjets.com/Safety/AMA0714-1.pdf
Joe,
I agree with BV 100%. Now we hear (July 19 EC meeting) the AMA has approved by a narrow margin the spending of a significant amount of money on some kind of FPV training program. What are they thinking? To what end?

Frank
Vote for Horrace Cain for Executive Vice President
Old 07-31-2014, 05:26 AM
phlpsfrnk

Default One judge got it right

Unless my calculations are incorrect I make this fine to be about $7500.00;

http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/11121376.BAE_nuclear_site_s_airspace_violated_by__ ___a_model_plane_/?ref=var_0

This is not just a problem in the U.S.

Frank
Old 07-31-2014, 05:40 AM
joebahl

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
Joe,
I agree with BV 100%. Now we hear (July 19 EC meeting) the AMA has approved by a narrow margin the spending of a significant amount of money on some kind of FPV training program. What are they thinking? To what end?

Frank
Vote for Horrace Cain for Executive Vice President
They are thinking they screwed up by taking these things in but now its to late so lets just throw the rest of the hobby members money at it. The correct way would be to distance us from them and get them out of the AMA but their pride and or stupidity wont let them. So here we are guys and girls like i said long ago in this thread about these china junks bringing unwanted attention to the rest of our peacefull hobby .In this case i will say it to all that think that guys wont abuse flying these things but ,I TOLD YOU SO ! lmao
Old 07-31-2014, 06:26 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I disagree, FPV has been a part of this hobby way before 2001, though in very small numbers till recently. Nobody had an issue with it till the FAA did, now you want the FAA to through out your fellow hobbiest's? It is gaining popularity around here. Now just about every model with a video camera has FPV. I have visited some clubs where electric is not very popular and of course FPV is almost nonexistant, and others where about 10% are flying FPV some of the time.

So its kind of like not complaining about the rough treatment of Jews, because you didn't want harm to come to you. But eventually everbody lost their freedom.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:42 AM
joebahl

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I disagree, FPV has been a part of this hobby way before 2001, though in very small numbers till recently. Nobody had an issue with it till the FAA did, now you want the FAA to through out your fellow hobbiest's? It is gaining popularity around here. Now just about every model with a video camera has FPV. I have visited some clubs where electric is not very popular and of course FPV is almost nonexistant, and others where about 10% are flying FPV some of the time.

So its kind of like not complaining about the rough treatment of Jews, because you didn't want harm to come to you. But eventually everbody lost their freedom.
The M in AMA is for (model) do most of these FPVs looking like a model of anything ? As far as the jews you brought up iam a full blooded Native American indian so lets not even go there ! lmao I think the FPV crowd should start there own little club if its growning like you said and leave them to police themselves as to not wreck our hobby that alot of us have enjoyed for so many years . I have 35 years in the AMA and now my dues money is going to argue a case with the FAA that i could give a rats ars about helping . THANKS !
Old 07-31-2014, 07:08 AM
Sport_Pilot

The M in AMA is for (model) do most of these FPVs looking like a model of anything ?
Now adays most are either a quad or electric plane with video. But sometimes it is a glow plane with a video camera strapped on. But all are being flown in the pattern and thus is a model airplane. Just because I don't care for them doesn't mean I should ask the AMA to abandon them. I think the first one I saw as a Sig Kadet with a video camera looking out the front windshield. Use a small CRT TV sitting on a table. This was about 15 years ago, maybe more.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:17 AM
joebahl

Tell that to the full size pilot who gets one in his motor ! The guys who fly them miles away and think its just so cool are the ones getting them in trouble. Look on u-tube for the geeks with money in their pockets to buy them and no girlfriend to give them anything to do. lol Abandon them really ? They should have never let them in in the first place. The AMAs need for for members or lets just say CASH! has brought us this far and its going to get ugly! joe
Old 07-31-2014, 08:19 AM
phlpsfrnk

The M in AMA is for (model) do most of these FPVs looking like a model of anything ? As far as the jews you brought up iam a full blooded Native American indian so lets not even go there ! lmao I think the FPV crowd should start there own little club if its growning like you said and leave them to police themselves as to not wreck our hobby that alot of us have enjoyed for so many years . I have 35 years in the AMA and now my dues money is going to argue a case with the FAA that i could give a rats ars about helping . THANKS !
Joe,
Be very careful asking that kind of question. I asked “Is FPV flying a modeling activity?” and got lambasted for it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1665911

I think the FAA is saying that if it’s not in LOS of the controlling pilot it is not, repeat NOT a modeling (model aircraft) activity. I have always said the AMA’rs that wishes to do FPV should establish a special interest group within the AMA and only deal with FPV within the confines of a club field.

Frank
Old 07-31-2014, 10:11 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree. Also I will add the best thing for everyone is to get the FPV guys into flying at a RC sites as much as possible. The more you bring into
the fold so to speak the easier it will be to deal with rouge guys IMO. Also I think the FAA needs to right away develop rules for flyers that
don't fly at RC sites because just saying you can't do something most of the time makes things worse before it gets better if it ever does.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:14 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
Joe,

and only deal with FPV within the confines of a club field.

Frank
Someone finally picked up on what I have been saying for a while now.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:21 AM
joebahl

We who fly rc planes just got use to helis flying in front of us and alot of fields have a place for them to fly seperate of us. Do we really need 4 rotors hovering in front of us taking a picture of our mad face now? Geeze ! Even the heli guys dont want them flying with them but thats where they would go. lol Before i get blasted from the heli guys i started to fly them before the gyro was invented but i would not fly them at my club field . lol

Last edited by joebahl; 07-31-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:28 AM
Sport_Pilot

Tell that to the full size pilot who gets one in his motor ! The guys who fly them miles away and think its just so cool are the ones getting them in trouble. Look on u-tube for the geeks with money in their pockets to buy them and no girlfriend to give them anything to do. lol Abandon them really ? They should have never let them in in the first place. The AMAs need for for members or lets just say CASH! has brought us this far and its going to get ugly! joe
So you want to abandon AMA members who fly FPV at the field and LOS, for a few (ok a bunch) of moronic geeks?
Old 07-31-2014, 11:34 AM
joebahl

So you want to abandon AMA members who fly FPV at the field and LOS, for a few (ok a bunch) of moronic geeks?
You said it ! Only a goofy geek would fly hir FPV into full size aircraft space just to take pictures . They latched on to the AMA or it was the other way around but me and thousands of rc flyers like me dont want or need them.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:30 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I still think k that unmanned vehicles that have commerce as their main goal need to be licensed and regulated to some degree.i worked my entire career in a field that failed to regulate itself and outside the nuclear industry health care remain
s the most regulated business .the rogues flying fpv and causing public safety and privacy issues is beginning to i crease and make the news.most recently was the idiot flying over a forest fire his flying a drone caused a public safety problem and temporarily stopped planes trying putting out fires.another guy flew FIS quad with a cam up and around a new medical arts building.seemed harmless until they saw video with patients being treated in exam rooms.better understood as invading privacy rights. Sadly common sense doesn't equate to ensuring public safety con error s or people's right to privacy.small quads at the field I do not think present a big problem.but turn them lose in the public and you see all kinds of issues that necessarily need to addressed.i think you see different class types and once they get out there so e one needs to say wait a second!
Old 07-31-2014, 03:42 PM
bradpaul

Default The ignorance shown here is amazing.....................

How can after all the threads and posts here, can some posters still not understand that FPV is a way of piloting a model aircraft and NOT A TYPE OF MODEL AIRCRAFT!

Put a camera and video transmitter in a nitro trainer, a heli, a glider an electric foamy a turbine jet, and then they CAN with goggles or a video display be flown FPV....................

FPV does not mean a "multi-rotor heli" it means FIRST PERSON VIEW.

BTW you can easily make the case that flying a RC aircraft from the cockpit perspective is a more accurate model aircraft activity then flying remotely from a ground perspective.

And where do some posters come up with limiting FPV to only at AMA RC fields?............................. you do realize that there are more "non club AMA members" than "club AMA members"?
Old 07-31-2014, 06:15 PM
krzy4rc

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree somewhat. If you fly your aircraft within the AMA rules, at a sanctioned field or not. Just as long as by the rules, it shouldn't matter if it's VLOS, FPV (monitor), or FPV (goggles). IMHO...
Old 07-31-2014, 06:55 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by bradpaul
How can after all the threads and posts here, can some posters still not understand that FPV is a way of piloting a model aircraft and NOT A TYPE OF MODEL AIRCRAFT!

Put a camera and video transmitter in a nitro trainer, a heli, a glider an electric foamy a turbine jet, and then they CAN with goggles or a video display be flown FPV....................

FPV does not mean a "multi-rotor heli" it means FIRST PERSON VIEW.

BTW you can easily make the case that flying a RC aircraft from the cockpit perspective is a more accurate model aircraft activity then flying remotely from a ground perspective.

And where do some posters come up with limiting FPV to only at AMA RC fields?............................. you do realize that there are more "non club AMA members" than "club AMA members"?
Well, bradpaul, you know the "M" in AMA is for "model", and the point is that all these pesky multi-rotors are not models of anything, and so are ok to discriminate against and should be shunned by AMA.
They are nothing like the models of yesteryear, like all the "old-timer" rc and free-flight which were faithful model renditions of...uh...hmm..., well
like the pattern planes both nostalgia and modern which were modeled after, you know, um...,
well dang-it, how bout the Four Star, and Goldberg Tiger, and Falcon, those were modeled after, well, something, I guess.
I'll have to get back to ya on this...
Old 07-31-2014, 07:36 PM
Sport_Pilot

You said it ! Only a goofy geek would fly hir FPV into full size aircraft space just to take pictures . They latched on to the AMA or it was the other way around but me and thousands of rc flyers like me dont want or need them.
Some geeks are AMA members flying FPV because they prefer to control and see the action from the aircrafts view and are not necessarily taking video's. I have seen aerobatic aircraft doing aerobatic maneuvers using FPV. So you want to abandon that part of the hobby?
Old 07-31-2014, 07:40 PM
Sport_Pilot

.most recently was the idiot flying over a forest fire his flying a drone caused a public safety problem
From his video he was nowhere near any aircraft. Also I do not think it reasonable that any layman who bought an FPV should understand the rules for TFR's. Or even where to look for TFR announcements (NOTAMS).
Old 07-31-2014, 07:44 PM
Sport_Pilot

and the point is that all these pesky multi-rotors are not models of anything,
They most certainly are! Many model airplanes are not copies of any full scale aircraft, but they are still model aircraft. Besides some of those violators are using the same model aircraft many AMA members are using. Pirker for example was using a popular electric model aircraft (plank if you will) for his video.

As far as old timer free flight, well those have been used for FPV as well.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 07-31-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:58 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

They most certainly are! Many model airplanes are not copies of any full scale aircraft, but they are still model aircraft. Besides some of those violators are using the same model aircraft many AMA members are using. Pirker for example was using a popular electric model aircraft (plank if you will) for his video.

As far as old timer free flight, well those have been used for FPV as well.
Sport has a point...most of the little skizz wizzys we call model airplanes aren't really a scale representation of any full-scale aircraft...but multi rotor are probably much closer...

Enjoy and be enlightened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L75ESD9PBOw
Old 07-31-2014, 08:59 PM
littlecrankshaf

Oh and here.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzP0Zqxam7E
Old 07-31-2014, 09:10 PM
littlecrankshaf

And BTW there are better examples if you just step out and look...
Old 08-01-2014, 02:43 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Sport has a point...most of the little skizz wizzys we call model airplanes aren't really a scale representation of any full-scale aircraft...but multi rotor are probably much closer...

Enjoy and be enlightened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L75ESD9PBOw
Yes, and that was my point, maybe not made well.
Actually, the "model" multi-rotors came first, and that "full scale" one was modeled upon the models, so to speak.
Which, if you think about it, was how many full scale airplanes came about--model first, then the real thing.

Perhaps the "M" in AMA should really be for "miniature".

Last edited by 804; 08-01-2014 at 02:49 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.