Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Initiation Fee?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Initiation Fee?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 08:46 AM
StevL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luchnia
I don't quite agree with this assessment. I don't know how we can judge what is reasonable based on a golf club or hunt club for that matter. How does one determine what is reasonable? To me it is what is relative to the area and associated costs. Some only need enough for maintenance, field rent, and AMA fees and in some cases that is a minimal cost. I know one club that gets by very cheap.

Rent for one field may be 2000 a year and another 200 a year, so membership fees should be relevant to the associated cost. In my neck of the woods I would consider 150 somewhat unreasonable for a club with 50-100 members and field rent 200 a year but would not consider 50-75 unreasonable at all.
Rent for one field may be 2000 a year and another 200 a year, so membership fees should be relevant to the associated cost. In my neck of the woods I would consider 150 somewhat unreasonable for a club with 50-100 members and field rent 200 a year but would not consider 50-75 unreasonable at all.[/QUOTE]

I guess it depends how nice you want your facilities, how many fields your club operates, what your members will do, etc.

Our main field (we have three) rent is $1,100. a year, members will not cut grass so we have $4,000. a year in grass cutting fees, plus electricity and portable toilets. Some times a bill for weed treatment, painting, and other maintenance items.

Steve

Last edited by StevL; 03-27-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:52 AM
bradpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luchnia
I don't quite agree with this assessment. I don't know how we can judge what is reasonable based on a golf club or hunt club for that matter. How does one determine what is reasonable? To me it is what is relative to the area and associated costs. Some only need enough for maintenance, field rent, and AMA fees and in some cases that is a minimal cost. I know one club that gets by very cheap.

Rent for one field may be 2000 a year and another 200 a year, so membership fees should be relevant to the associated cost. In my neck of the woods I would consider 150 somewhat unreasonable for a club with 50-100 members and field rent 200 a year but would not consider 50-75 unreasonable at all.
You are right in that there is no "one size fits all" in either Club Dues or Initiation Fees.

At the club I usually fly at the rent for the land is $6,000 a year and is very reasonable for acreage in Central Florida. Add year around mowing costs, gas, repairs and depreciation on the mower and that is another $2,000. Add other expenses such as maintenance on the shade structure, electricity, water, fences, starting benches and it all adds up to just about $9,000 a year. With 75 members we have dues at $150 a year and that leaves about $30 per member to the capital improvements / field fund. The initiation fee is $100 and that goes to the capital improvements / field fund.

A given here in Central Florida is that unless you are way way out in the rural countryside some "do-gooder" neighbor (probably moved to Florida from New Jersey) will think that RC is both noisy and unsafe and it will end up with the club losing it's field. Don't ask me how I know.......................... The set up of a new field, grass runway, electricity, water and structures will run at least $5,000 so we try to keep at least that in the capital improvements / field fund.

Anyway that's all based on experience .................................................. ....

Brad
Old 03-27-2014, 11:46 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have about 50 members and charge a 1 time fee of $25 plus $65 for yearly dues. We host a big swap meet that brings in another $3000-$3500 and our budjet runs about $8000. The club officers pay no dues that's it for compensation, and they put alot of time in taking care of all the club business. If you don't pay your renewal by Jan 31st you pay the initiation fee again. It works for us and we all have a good time.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:44 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bradpaul
You are right in that there is no "one size fits all" in either Club Dues or Initiation Fees.

At the club I usually fly at the rent for the land is $6,000 a year and is very reasonable for acreage in Central Florida. Add year around mowing costs, gas, repairs and depreciation on the mower and that is another $2,000. Add other expenses such as maintenance on the shade structure, electricity, water, fences, starting benches and it all adds up to just about $9,000 a year. With 75 members we have dues at $150 a year and that leaves about $30 per member to the capital improvements / field fund. The initiation fee is $100 and that goes to the capital improvements / field fund.

A given here in Central Florida is that unless you are way way out in the rural countryside some "do-gooder" neighbor (probably moved to Florida from New Jersey) will think that RC is both noisy and unsafe and it will end up with the club losing it's field. Don't ask me how I know.......................... The set up of a new field, grass runway, electricity, water and structures will run at least $5,000 so we try to keep at least that in the capital improvements / field fund.

Anyway that's all based on experience .................................................. ....

Brad
That is exactly what I mean. This would be relevant to the area and costs. I would expect to pay more for a club like you have due to costs. 150-200 makes sense. You can take your annual costs, how much you want in the "kitty" for yearly improvements, etc., and divide it all up tally the number of members and rate the membership fee needed to keep things running smoothly.

I wonder how many clubs keep that on the up and up? Something tells me some clubs take advantage, yet that is just speculation on my part and could be totally off base. At least the two clubs I am in share all financial information and nothing is withheld from the membership so you either join or pass it up. Initiation fees still pluck my nerves for some reason - maybe I am just tight, or it seems like an unjust expense to me. .