Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Initiation Fee?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Initiation Fee?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 01:56 PM
Mad Mad Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Initiation Fee?

Does your club charge a new member an initiation fee on top on club dues? If so, what is the reason for the initiation fee and is the amount of the initiation fee a token amount or a significant amount?
Old 03-17-2014, 03:04 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The fee covers what the older members know what a typical new member costs them. The new member who forgets to lock the gate after he leaves, the new member who uses the club garbage drum as his personal landfill, the new member who needs a back ground check performed on him, the new member who typically sees the club as just a "Drive In" type place like Burger Knig where you rush in to flip the ON switch on your latest electric RTF plane, get in an exhilirating flight, then rush off to grab dinner for your family at the nearest fast food palace.
The new member who evades payment of next year's dues like the Roadrunner VS Wiley Coyote.....
The club is nothing more than a facility that "other people" are responsible for keeping in working order, so the initiation fee is just chump change in exchange for that.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:25 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One of my 'former' clubs charged $150 PLUS the $50 for the new member.....I guess that $100 went into the 'fund' that was used to build the place at the original time - improvements, etc.....many clubs use regular dues for year-to-year expenses and those initiation fees help the savings account.

My current club 'lives and breathes' on our $50/yr ($25 for snow birds)....if we don't have it in the bank, it doesn't get spent. In fact we are adding some 'shade' (~20') for about $600 this week.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:20 PM
warningshot

Originally Posted by Mad Mad Max
Does your club charge a new member an initiation fee on top on club dues? If so, what is the reason for the initiation fee and is the amount of the initiation fee a token amount or a significant amount?
No initiation fee. The club officers do not get special perks like some of the bigger clubs.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:34 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After the membership voted in the officers, I suggested the officers get to have their planes retrieved by the general membership, cleaned and returned to the flight line fully filled with fuel and a cold drink so the 'elected' could continue with their flying....but that got voted down for some reason .
Old 03-17-2014, 05:21 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Initiation fee of $100 goes directly into the Runway Maintenance fund, which is separate from the general operating fund and used to oil and patch the runway.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:02 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by s3nfo
Initiation fee of $100 goes directly into the Runway Maintenance fund, which is separate from the general operating fund and used to oil and patch the runway.
That's pretty much the rationale of clubs that I belong to. Existing members have a considerable investment in improvements like providing for a paved runway, and initiation fees are seen as new members contributing some partial measure of their fair share in the investment. It isn't a one time investment as the need for maintenance is continuing, but the rationale is not a constant, depending on changes in priorities......one of the clubs has seen a fairly dramatic fall in membership over the past few years, and the initiation fee has been waived in the interest of attracting new members.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:30 AM
beepee

My last club added an initiation fee to try and stem the tide of members dropping in and out. Harder to manage the operation that way. You drop out, you have to pay the initiation to re-join. It was there to help stabilize the membership count. I wasn't there long enough to find out whether it accomplished it's intent.

Bedford
Old 03-18-2014, 06:42 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

$25 here, and you have to pay if again if your membership expires (I think the deadline is march but we almost never enforce it)

Helps pay for field improvements, our dues are extremely reasonable at $50 for the facilities we have.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:23 PM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
That's pretty much the rationale of clubs that I belong to. Existing members have a considerable investment in improvements like providing for a paved runway, and initiation fees are seen as new members contributing some partial measure of their fair share in the investment. .
That's the rationale for our initiation fee, which is $55. It has been that amount since before I joined in '98. It's seen as a combination of the assessments on the memberships over the past 35+ years, one of which was when our bridge washed away during a flood and we paid to have it replaced.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:28 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
The fee covers what the older members know what a typical new member costs them. The new member who forgets to lock the gate after he leaves, the new member who uses the club garbage drum as his personal landfill, the new member who needs a back ground check performed on him, the new member who typically sees the club as just a "Drive In" type place like Burger Knig where you rush in to flip the ON switch on your latest electric RTF plane, get in an exhilirating flight, then rush off to grab dinner for your family at the nearest fast food palace.
The new member who evades payment of next year's dues like the Roadrunner VS Wiley Coyote.....
The club is nothing more than a facility that "other people" are responsible for keeping in working order, so the initiation fee is just chump change in exchange for that.
Absolutely 100% EXCELLENT post CP. Likewise here at Jetero. Old guys are leaving and the new ones want everything free and clear. My club OWNS 50 flat acres.
Highway frontage, air conditioned kitchen, and table area, commercial garbage pick-up, and paid mowing. They like all of that but P&M about $150.00 a year dues.
"L", I just financed (paid for) our last event, trophies, event equipment, pilot's gifts and did all the paper-work, plus being the CD. The only thing I did not pay for was the club's free food for the pilot-lunches. Several younger new members think that they should all have the field to themselves when they fly their choppers. NA' me big daddy!
They can't fly with me at same time, then that is THEIR problem. I can and do avoid them, so I expect same from them.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:41 PM
jtotten

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The club I belong to maintains a 20 x 200 runway purchased by members contributions, provides 2 shaded picnic tables, 4 plane prep stands. A new member has access to 2 evenings a week where buddy box training flights have flight priority, and to inspection services on every new plane. The $100 one time initiation fee is pretty cheap for the newbie. Most of the more experienced new members that have several planes and a couple of radios don't balk at the initiation fee - one or two downed planes it the outlying woods generally see a half dozen guys searching. After initiation, dues are about $45 a year.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:47 PM
koastrc

Like Hoss. I will throw in with CB. It is surprising what new members preconceived ideas of what the club flying field is supposed to be. Our club is like most. We do have many wonderful things for making the flying experience enjoyable. As nice as the facilities are, they have to be maintained. The trash is picked up by members, the rest rooms are cleaned by members, the club house is taken care of by the members.and kept in good order by the members. There is no flying site ferry to take care of the site. There is no government agency to take care of the flying site. The paper in the restroom does not just appear. The stove in the kitchen does not clean itself. It is refreshing when a person joins in and understands we are all in this together. Our club membership has been constant for many years. The fees are all accounted for including the initiation fee. The answer, we charge a initiation fee.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:03 AM
rcmiket

Never have never will. We make out just fine. We don't charge our military guys dues either.

Mike
Horizon City Flyers
Old 03-23-2014, 05:10 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Never have never will. We make out just fine. We don't charge our military guys dues either.

Mike
Horizon City Flyers
For initiation we just make our new members push a penny five feet with their nose...

Seriously, there may be many reasons for initiation fees but sometimes it stems from nothing more than "I had to pay it so should everyone else"...all the way from the days when the club needed additional revenue to acquire and fund the flying site...but to be really fair that line of reasoning likely needs adjusting for todays dollars LOL

Bottom line, regardless of most club fees, it is probably the best money spent in our hobby. Most clubs do an outstanding job of keeping those costs to very insignificant levels. Just go Fly!
Old 03-25-2014, 05:54 AM
bradpaul

If a club has made significant investments in facilities, runway, clubhouse, etc. that have been paid for by the current members by dues, donations and hard work then it is only fair that new members contribute via an initiation fee, If a club is simply a field without improvements than the justification is not as strong. However CP's observations sure do apply in either case.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:04 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by bradpaul
However CP's observations sure do apply in either case.
Yea, I love how he characterized the electric flyers. That mindset could never apply to the little glow engine flying guys...they are way above that and are always so supportive of the club and club activities. LOL
Old 03-25-2014, 07:57 AM
N410DC

I just joined a club that has a $100 initiation fee, plus $50 for the first year.I have no complaints about paying it. New members, particularly members who are new to to the hobby, require a lot of care and feeding from experienced members. The aforementioned "inspection service" is invaluable, and can easily save a plane that costs well more than $150. The first airplane I built 20 years ago had negative dihedral, because I installed the spar upside down. I would have tried to fly it, if some of the more experienced models had not talked me out of it. The flight training and advice that a new modeler gets in the first few months is priceless. The experienced members who provide this mentorship do not get paid a dime for their time, but at least they know that the club has some more funds to keep things running.

When I joined my new club, I already had several years of experience under my belt. However was returning after a 20 years hiatus, I was therefore rusty, and lost with many of the changes that have taken place (2,4 Ghz radios and LiPo batteries were not even an idea back then.) I therefore benefited a great deal from one of the officers who got me back up to speed.

I also agree with combatpigg's comments, above and beyond the points I mentioned!
Old 03-25-2014, 01:07 PM
batdog
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Sounds like a bunch of BULL to me. Just trying to increase the club income. Fees like this hurt membership.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:25 PM
batdog

Reply to combatpig
This sounds like an excuse to charge more. Keeping the initial cost down is important to help attract new members. I am surprised others agree with your reply. Helping a newbie is something that is done in friendship and not charged for.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:26 PM
Propworn

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

In the two clubs I belong to the original club members each threw in $35 at one $50 at the other for the purchase of a lawnmower. Since lawnmowers wear out all new members must pay an initiation fee matching the original amount. If you think about it you’re getting off cheap with the rate of inflation. One club it’s a one time fee you can rejoin any time as long as someone can vouch for you or there is a record of your previous membership. The other club has a grace period of a number of years before you pay it again. If you have a problem with the initiation fee when all others have paid it perhaps you might consider joining another club. I am certain the entitlement club is always looking for new members. They will be easy to recognize they are the ones sitting waiting for someone else to do all the work and pay for the privilege of your company. Good luck!!!!!!

On the other hand there is one club where members don't have to do anything except fly. The runways are cut, garbage is picked up, all repairs are done for you, and there are not even meetings you have to attend. No elections for executives and no one has to hold office. Its a complete carefree no responsibility club BUT!!!!!!! there is a long waiting list to join and when you do get in the door the yearly dues are $450. You do not have any say in how the club is run or how the money is spent.

Dennis

Last edited by Propworn; 03-25-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:03 PM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by batdog
Sounds like a bunch of BULL to me. Just trying to increase the club income. Fees like this hurt membership.
In memory of Robert Heinlein "tanstaafl"
Old 03-25-2014, 05:58 PM
littlecrankshaf

Reply to combatpig
This sounds like an excuse to charge more. Keeping the initial cost down is important to help attract new members. I am surprised others agree with your reply. Helping a newbie is something that is done in friendship and not charged for.
I guess you and I are the only ones here that see it differently...Of course finding out that clubs compensate club members and some officers monetarily for their work was something I hoped to put forward at the next club meeting...as the club treasurer for many years along with all the training and help I give newcomers... as well as others, I think I deserve some serious back pay... I hope the club has the same sentiments Combutpig has when I put this rational forward.

Oh God...there really is no help for us! We are screwed.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:09 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Reply to combatpig
The olde saying used to be, "It's a free country, so do as you see fit........" not sure if that can be said any longer.
Regardless, do what works best for the club that YOU run.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:50 AM
batdog

Sounds like some want to turn their club membership into a business looking for compensation . A club or any flying field where some gather should be an example of friendly ,helpful relationships . To me that is a big part of this hobby. If you are asking to be compensated to do this I think you have lost sight of what this hobby is all about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.