Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

"Drones" Banned in a National Park? Things are heating up for sure......

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

"Drones" Banned in a National Park? Things are heating up for sure......

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 12:53 PM
bradpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnShe
As I see it, one day you are in Yosemite Park three-fourths of the way up El Capitan, a wayward drone hits you hard square in the back, and startled and lose your grip. Just in the second before you splatter on the ground below, are you gonna think, "Gee I should have trusted the government"?
Yeah that would be bad but not as bad as the GOM too set in his ways and still flying 72mhz who loses control of his glow Goldberg Eagle and crashes into a bus load of kindergarden kids killing all.

Your turn now to make up a ridiculous hypothetical accident.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:18 PM
toolmaker7341

As a general rule, the interests of the general public are decided at the polls. The elected representatives attempt to carry this out through the enactment of laws creating agencies to carry out those laws. When an agency writes new regulations, these draft documents go through public review to ensure that the interests of the general public are carried out. it would appear that you might be helped by a remedial civics course. You are being skeptical of your own decisions made at the polls. Definitely a sign of flawed reasoning.

This guy must be on the govenment payroll
Old 05-09-2014, 05:04 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I see it, one day you are in Yosemite Park three-fourths of the way up El Capitan, a wayward drone hits you hard square in the back, and startled and lose your grip. Just in the second before you splatter on the ground below, are you gonna think, "Gee I should have trusted the government"?

Why do we need droves in a National Park anyway?

The statement above illustrates why it might be in the public's best interests to keep them out.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:09 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
Why do we need droves in a National Park anyway?

The statement above illustrates why it might be in the public's best interests to keep them out.
When I go to a national park, I go for the nature or the history. To me drones only interfere with my intent and annoy me. But I do believe that the current batch of idiots are causing more misery than they are worth.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:10 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by toolmaker7341
This guy must be on the govenment payroll
Worse that that, I am a patriotic citizen who supports our government. I also join in with others who protest government screw-ups.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:12 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Yeah that would be bad but not as bad as the GOM too set in his ways and still flying 72mhz who loses control of his glow Goldberg Eagle and crashes into a bus load of kindergarden kids killing all.

Your turn now to make up a ridiculous hypothetical accident.
Nah, mine was funnier anyway. I do think that you completely missed my point.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:33 PM
Bolshoi
My Feedback: (2)

You guys catch this article on the wall st journal:

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/SB10001...?mg=reno64-wsj
Old 05-09-2014, 09:37 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A number of Supreme Court decisions and actions by both state and federal legislatures are definitely leading away from an ideal democracy which we have never really had, but it was kinda close.
We never had an ideal democracy, nor anything close. You don't want an ideal democracy! It results in rule by the majority, minorities be damned! No one has had one since ancient Greece.

We had a republic, but now pretty close to, I don't know, rule by the lobbyist perhaps.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:10 AM
toolmaker7341

Worse that that, I am a patriotic citizen who supports our government. I also join in with others who protest government screw-ups.
So am I BUT the current administration hasn't been more crooked since Nixon
Old 05-10-2014, 05:24 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a good thing the judge threw out the FAA drone lawsuit and stated, "To accept the FAA‘s interpretive argument would lead to a conclusion that those definitions include as an aircraft all types of devices/contrivances intended for, or used for, flight in the air. The extension of that conclusion would then result in the risible argument that a flight in the air of, e.g., a paper aircraft, or a toy balsa wood glider, could subject the ‘operator’ to the regulatory provisions of FAA regulations."

Can you imagine the FAA & FBI showing up at your door to arrest you because your 8 year old son didn't have flight clearance to fly his rubber-band powered toy airplane in the backyard!???

By the wacky logic the FAA is applying to the current rules, they could extend the "rules" at-will to harrass anyone who thorws a paper plane, a paper ball, or a rubber-band powered plane by calling it a "drone" YIKES !!!
Then, spit balls might become "drones" as well. Even worse, be classified as "missiles."

Last edited by Airplanes400; 05-10-2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:31 AM
SrTelemaster150

Imagine going to Yellowstone, firing up your gas powered giant scale warbirds & making a few flights.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:34 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

When I go to a national park, I go for the nature or the history. To me drones only interfere with my intent and annoy me. But I do believe that the current batch of idiots are causing more misery than they are worth.
Agreed 100%

It is bad enough that we have to put up with these noisy boring flying machines at the flying field, but they are part of our hobby, and accepted there.
The last thing I want to see or hear on my vacation to a National park is one of these drones hovering in the middle of a perfect view, and of course accompanied by the annoying sound that disturbs the tranquility of the scene.
Lets keep these things at the flying field, and not have them serve as an annoyance to the general public. We should be doing this out of respect for other people, without having a law that bans their use in a National park.

Greg

Last edited by OldRookie; 05-10-2014 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:32 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

My shotgun isn't Pleae bring your drones - I need target practice.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:44 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by rgburrill
My shotgun isn't Pleae bring your drones - I need target practice.
THAT will land you in jail as it should.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:44 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by OldRookie
Agreed 100%

It is bad enough that we have to put up with these noisy boring flying machines at the flying field, but they are part of our hobby, and accepted there.
The last thing I want to see or hear on my vacation to a National park is one of these drones hovering in the middle of a perfect view, and of course accompanied by the annoying sound that disturbs the tranquility of the scene.
Lets keep these things at the flying field, and not have them serve as an annoyance to the general public. We should be doing this out of respect for other people, without having a law that bans their use in a National park.

Greg
Got a point there...not because of any safety issue but for a number of other reasons I agree. I enjoy model airplanes very much but would not want them there either.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:46 AM
SrTelemaster150

Fact is, drones or any form of R/C anything have no place in National Parks.

That us what the ban should prohibit. Then there would not be the ambiguity.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:00 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Got a point there...not because of any safety issue but for a number of other reasons I agree. I enjoy model airplanes very much but would not want them there either.
Maybe I should say there should be exceptions and probably a time and place everything...just generally speaking before.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:36 AM
Jim Thomerson

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0509110053.htm

This is a report on a study of effects of aircraft noise on various kinds of national park visitors.
Wonder if this has anything to do with it.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:06 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

You guys should visit a TRACON facility... (Terminal Radar Area Control) . It is a difficult task to control all the various aircraft currently flying and keep them separate and on course. Everyone with a nickle wants to fly. With the advent of such inexpensive RC aircraft (FPV and autonomous) , it has the potential to swamp the system meant to keep all of us safe. Thinking changed the day a flock of geese decided to down a passenger jet in the Hudson. Before that event, it was not thought possible for such small objects to down a large jet.

Every package delivery company on the planet wants to reduce their final mile cost. Who is going to control all the street and micro-airway delivery paths. Do you want Amazon telling you that only they can do this. When this capability is available, all RC aircraft will affect this public service. All objects capable of flight fit into this maze as a piece of the puzzle. We need to cooperate and follow the design so that all can operate simultaneously. When one goes rogue, and harms someone or something in the "system", they should pay for the damages caused (automobile tickets are the norm). As times change, so do the rules and regulations necessary to provide the freedom for as many as possible.

The FAA has a considerable task... provide fairness and maximum coverage and usage for all. Even Stevie Wonder can see that the old rules are overtaken by events proceeding.

Last edited by on_your_six; 05-13-2014 at 05:09 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:10 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The system doesn't have to be so complex. Aviation technology leaders long ago proposed systems that would use ground radar with uplinks to the airplane and airplane down links to data centers on the ground. Now there is GPS that can be used. Burt Rutan proposed a heads up display with a highway in the sky type graphics and it would track all other traffic and reroute the "highway" to avoid traffic. But of course the FAA might have to lay off controllers as their would be less of them, so of course the FAA doesn't like that.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 05-13-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:15 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

I also think that cameras should be banned from National Parks... If I cannot mount my camera on a quad and take pictures... it is really the cameras that are causing the problems. (sarcasm noted for those without a functioning S detector)
Old 05-13-2014, 08:55 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by on_your_six
I also think that cameras should be banned from National Parks... If I cannot mount my camera on a quad and take pictures... it is really the cameras that are causing the problems. (sarcasm noted for those without a functioning S detector)
I take my NIKON everywhere, the National parks are a great place to capture beauty permanently.

I do think that model aviation is an enjoyable activity. It has occurred to me that all parks authorities on the Federal, State and local levels should encourage safe and enjoyable, for all parties, model aviation. They should set aside suitable areas for flying and establish and enforce suitable rules for operation. it should be possible to find ways to responsibly photograph from the air without endangering or annoying people. Oh wait, that's what the FAA is trying to do isn't it?
Old 05-14-2014, 10:14 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

"As a general rule, the interests of the general public are decided at the polls. The elected representatives attempt to carry this out through the enactment of laws creating agencies to carry out those laws. When an agency writes new regulations, these draft documents go through public review to ensure that the interests of the general public are carried out. it would appear that you might be helped by a remedial civics course. You are being skeptical of your own decisions made at the polls. Definitely a sign of flawed reasoning."

I will agree with this as soon as "The Government" puts in place term limits, ends lobbying, makes corporate contributions illegal and basically levels the playing field for all who are running for office

Last edited by mike1974; 05-14-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:50 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by mike1974
"As a general rule, the interests of the general public are decided at the polls. The elected representatives attempt to carry this out through the enactment of laws creating agencies to carry out those laws. When an agency writes new regulations, these draft documents go through public review to ensure that the interests of the general public are carried out. it would appear that you might be helped by a remedial civics course. You are being skeptical of your own decisions made at the polls. Definitely a sign of flawed reasoning."

I will agree with this as soon as "The Government" puts in place term limits, ends lobbying, makes corporate contributions illegal and basically levels the playing field for all who are running for office
Gonna take a while due to partisan bickering. But, to a degree some good ideas there.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:06 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I remember camping in the Yosemite valley as a kid and even back then it was stupifying how many folks couldn't leave their TV sets at home. The park should be a place where people can "get away from it all" and spend a weekend exploring all of the natural sights with as little interference from the spoils of modern man as much as possible.
What would possess someone to bring his toy plane into this park and then fly it with 1000s of unsuspecting park goers roaming around everywhere..?
You can buy post cards and posters that show every possible view of the park that you can imagine, so there is no justifiable reason for the public to bring RC guided flying cameras into this park.
Go play somewhere else and give this park your full respect..

Last edited by combatpigg; 05-22-2014 at 01:09 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.