Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Members of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA)

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Members of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 09:37 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Members of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA)

Here we go again! I am going to make another run for the position of Executive Vice President. Any open class AMA member can send in a nomination.
More later as I have to get some models ready for the Houston Sport Flyers Fun Fly tomorrow.

The rules for nominating and other stuff can be found at

www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/Organization/ec/2014nominationsdue.aspx

I do not think this is on the AMA web site as the 2013 info is still there as of this AM. I got this this AM from Dave Mathewson the AMA Executive Director.

For your information, I do qualify for the position as I have served as a Contest Coordinator, 2 terms as a District Vice President (Dist 6, late 1970, early 1980), have been a Contest Director since 1963 and a Leader Member since 1964. By the way, that last term as a DVP was when I came up with the method to obtain the 72 mhz. frequencies that kept RC model aviation and AMA in business. Yes, I did later resign my 2nd term before it was over, because my methods ('git 'er done) may not always be the most lovely method/s to obtain what is needed, but they do work!
As far as model aviation I have been a modeler since 6 years old, active competitor in CL, FF, and RC. I have worked at several NATs, and owned a Hobby Shop in Mt. Prospect, IL. When I had to retire from United Airlines (28 years UAL after 13 years USAF) some 18 years ago, I financed and backed up a 100 acres of land for Jetero RC Club (who now owns 50 acres) to have a superior flying site. Take a look: www.jetero.com

Much more to come.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:45 PM
Hossfly

Originally Posted by Hossfly
Here we go again! I am going to make another run for the position of Executive Vice President. Any open class AMA member can send in a nomination.

The rules for nominating and other stuff can be found at

www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/Organization/ec/2014nominationsdue.aspx

I do not think this is on the AMA web site as the 2013 info is still there as of this AM. I got this this AM from Dave Mathewson the AMA Executive Director.

Come on Guys! Over 100 looker-on fellows and not one has made a statement. I can take it big time. I'm sure that AMA already has the battle wagons turned into the firing positions. My first bet is that several of the good-ol'-boys are already set to get the ballot spots, just like last time. Nothing new. So make some noise, bad or good, makes no never-mind to this old country boy from East Texas. OTOH, you have a chance to at least make a statement about your side of the fence. Another of my bets is that some of you guys with less than 20 years of aeromodeling have some really good ideas just waiting to be heard. The drums are here, but where are the BEATERS???
Old 05-20-2014, 04:41 AM
koastrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you make it Horrace. Over here in FIVE we got ourselves a young fellow with plenty of enthusiasm. You know, I don't think he has as much zeal as you do. If you get the vote out I think you will get there.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:55 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hoss,
I hope you get in and would most certainly vote for you. Could you give us some idea on what you would do if you win?

fliers1
Old 05-20-2014, 05:33 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Horrace,

No idea who else is running and you've not posted a plan or platform, so not much to comment on or ask questions about yet. Once the election starts taking shape, we'll see.......
Old 05-21-2014, 01:39 PM
Hossfly

Originally Posted by s3nfo
Horrace,

No idea who else is running and you've not posted a plan or platform, so not much to comment on or ask questions about yet. Once the election starts taking shape, we'll see.......
Thanks for the input, Jerry. Getting a response from you certainly makes my day as you are the elite for sure.

I will have some info. posted by June 1st. however my interests will be political and probably not interest most viewers here. Way back when I tried the first time, I was pushing for AMA to set up a Foundation. They acted as if I was nuts. Now of course the idea kept bubbling back somewhere so now AMA has a Foundation. The Charter and members of that foundation have not really been displayed in big style like it - IMO - should be. The Foundation was set-up by J.Wallen, Charlie Bauer, and along with Jim Rice at the July 2012 EC meeting.
I just picked up on a memo that AMA is getting into some agriculture project with, IIRC, the state of Indiana. Actually I support such as several of us did back in AUG 2012 when we set up a show for a number of state government entities over near Waco one week. (BTW we paid our own way!) That was very interesting and I'm sure I gained more about those folks than they did about aeromodeling. Now let me be forward, I need a lot more experience before I support FPV in a sport-aeromodeling frame.
I do try to be honest and up front, however I do try to learn when good evidence is available.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:11 PM
s3nfo

Hoss, do you have a plan to pull enough of the East Coast mafia vote to give you a fair shot?
Old 05-21-2014, 06:31 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

he is gona "make em an offer they can't refuse"
Old 05-23-2014, 12:43 PM
Hossfly

Hoss, do you have a plan to pull enough of the East Coast mafia vote to give you a fair shot?
Jerry, I have run for a number of times that I never made it. The first time I ever run for an office was for AMA Dist. VI Vice President. I won over the incumbent. Came the next time - 2 years term back then - I was left off the ballot by the nominating committee. I WON BY WRITE-IN. The AMA Executive Director hid the write-in ballots, but the President found them and required the Staff to count them. Jerry, the last time I run for Executive Vice President, you may recall, that at the last minute several other "nominations" surfaced in the last several days. That gave the BIG BOYS all the ammunition they needed to keep me OFF THE BALLOT due to 3 only rule. Politics are an unreal thing, right down to the last minute. Next week will start some serious activity. My bet is the same will happen again.
Fortunately there is one gentleman that has already nominated me, and he did not like me some time ago. You probably well remember that I claimed to be very much in play as having a big part in securing the 72 mhz frequencies in 1981. Some denounced that claim. Then there was posted in the RCU of that EC nominating time period that I was not a part of the frequency committee, so I must be lying. Well then came the individual that was Chairman of the Frequency Committee during 1981 and other time , that indeed Horrace Cain engineered the method to obtain the frequencies, and they were secured 2 weeks later. Am I bragging - Heck Yes - and I am darn proud that they came into AMA before someone else secured them. You 2.4 guys have no idea what it was like trying to fly on what we had back then., 7 shared use with industry freqs and some 26 mhz freqs, plus the few that required licenses.
In addition I am glad that the person saying I had no part, is now back a good friend. I won't mention the person that was freq. chairman as his name is still found in Model Aviation each month.
I have never been able to find those two postings in RCU archives. That's OK with me.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:54 PM
Hossfly

For those that care about what might happen, or what will not happen, there are some things moving around. Keep watching this forum.

Got the paperwork from AMA and will be sending out some more info. soon.

LATER!
Old 05-29-2014, 03:35 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Horrace,
It's no secret that you and I not always seen eye to eye on things in the past, but I do admire you for the fact that you are passionate wanting to get done what you feel is right. RCU has had a long standing offer that we make to all people running for any AMA office in that we will give them a sub-forum for them as a platform as a direct conduit to RCU members. The only thing we will promise the candidate is that we will protect them from members attacking them by violating RCU rules, otherwise the sub-forum is theirs to use to help put out the word about what they want to do when in office, talk to the people that might vote for them, and get feed back from those members. We have made this offer to many of the people running for office and I have been amazed to all of the "old fashioned" guys that simply based up on using such a tool. Dave Mathewson used it when he was running for office and he said that it was a good tool and thanked us for offering to him. So anyway, once the election process gets geared up and running if you are interested in having this sub-forum for your election process let me know and I'll get is set up for you.

Good luck in the up coming election.

Ken
Old 05-30-2014, 05:27 AM
s3nfo

Humm, Ken, that's interesting. It's been a while and my memory may be faulty, but my recollection from my run for EVP was asking RCU for a forum, getting promised a forum and then getting the Heisman, but never actually getting a forum.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:08 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Humm, Ken, that's interesting. It's been a while and my memory may be faulty, but my recollection from my run for EVP was asking RCU for a forum, getting promised a forum and then getting the Heisman, but never actually getting a forum.
Yes, that did happen and I apologize. Unfortunately at that time I did not have the ability create the new forums that was needed and had to rely one others to do, and unfortunately they did not do that. It was a simple mistake that happened and I apologize to you that it did happen. But things are different now in that I have the ability to make the needed changes in the forum structure of RCU and I can add the forum(s) that would be needed here.

Ken
Old 05-30-2014, 03:48 PM
s3nfo

OK Ken, thanks for the explanation and the (finally) apology. No hard feelings.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:46 PM
Hossfly

Originally Posted by RCKen
Horrace,
It's no secret that you and I not always seen eye to eye on things in the past, but I do admire you for the fact that you are passionate wanting to get done what you feel is right. RCU has had a long standing offer that we make to all people running for any AMA office in that we will give them a sub-forum for them as a platform as a direct conduit to RCU members. The only thing we will promise the candidate is that we will protect them from members attacking them by violating RCU rules, otherwise the sub-forum is theirs to use to help put out the word about what they want to do when in office, talk to the people that might vote for them, and get feed back from those members. We have made this offer to many of the people running for office and I have been amazed to all of the "old fashioned" guys that simply based up on using such a tool. Dave Mathewson used it when he was running for office and he said that it was a good tool and thanked us for offering to him. So anyway, once the election process gets geared up and running if you are interested in having this sub-forum for your election process let me know and I'll get is set up for you.

Good luck in the up coming election.

Ken
Thank you Ken and RCU for such a great offer. I cannot refuse it. I promise to be gentlemanly with the forum and try my best to keep it informational to the AMA membership that cares enough to participate. OTOH, I may well not be the person, or provide the answers that some of the modelers wish to hear. Then there will be those that have very good ideas that I have never thought of, and I will then be the listener and student rather than the teacher.
I cannot promise that I will agree with every case, nor even have good knowledge of some of the questions. I will try to make any such forum interesting, informative, and provide discussions that both the writer and myself find worth our time in such participation.
Again Thank you Ken, and thanks to RCU for their interests in the good of RC, all aeromodeling, and a better understanding for the many items that fly over our heads each day!
One other item is that for me about June 15-20 will be plenty soon to start this forum. Your and RCU's call.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:10 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by Hossfly
Thank you Ken and RCU for such a great offer. I cannot refuse it. I promise to be gentlemanly with the forum and try my best to keep it informational to the AMA membership that cares enough to participate. OTOH, I may well not be the person, or provide the answers that some of the modelers wish to hear. Then there will be those that have very good ideas that I have never thought of, and I will then be the listener and student rather than the teacher.
I cannot promise that I will agree with every case, nor even have good knowledge of some of the questions. I will try to make any such forum interesting, informative, and provide discussions that both the writer and myself find worth our time in such participation.
Again Thank you Ken, and thanks to RCU for their interests in the good of RC, all aeromodeling, and a better understanding for the many items that fly over our heads each day!
One other item is that for me about June 15-20 will be plenty soon to start this forum. Your and RCU's call.
Horrace,
Just shoot me a PM when you want me to fire up the sub-forum and I'll get it setup for you.

Ken
Old 06-04-2014, 08:05 AM
phlpsfrnk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Horrace,
I wrote your name on the last ballot your nomination did not get on and I plan on doing it again. I wish you luck in your endeavors.

Regards
Frank
Old 06-09-2014, 07:03 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I have setup a sub-forum for Horrace to use to directly interact with RCU members in his campaign for this election. that sub-forum can be found here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/exec...race-cain-532/

Anybody else running for any other AMA office is also welcome to use a RCU sub-forum in the same manner for an election run for an AMA office. If they would like to have one set simply contact me by PM and I"ll get them setup with one.

Ken
Old 08-09-2014, 08:02 AM
Hossfly

Hello All:
Got home at some 2:30 A.M. this morning, 08/09/2014. Was there at AMA on the special day, 3 days in area. I am on the ballot for the annual election of AMA officers, Executive Vice President. Had a great time visiting the Executive Council and the meeting part that is open to the members.
I then proceeded to Arlington Heights, IL, and then to Madison Wisconsin for a couple days each. Kids, grand-kids, and great-grand-kids. Then for some time in Crystal falls, MI where my wife is from, for a lot of visiting for a week or so, then back to Arl. Hts. IL. Left there around noon, on Thurs, Aug. 07, stopped in lower St. Louis area, late. Left there mid-early on Fri. 08th, and arrived here in New Caney, TX at around 2:30 AM on this day Sat, 08 - 09. That big ol' Ram 2500 Diesel was raring to get home same as me.

Please feel free to ask any and all questions. Will get back to business in the next couple days.

Thanks.
Horrace
Old 08-14-2014, 07:45 PM
Hossfly

This is for Ken: Ken I have been gone for some 4 weeks, however I have not had any problems the past several days trying to catch up.

Today is a different day. I cannot get through to you with a private message. In addition I tried to bring my profile up to correct. My cr. card on file is all wrong.
I don't understand why as I changed it, it resorted back to the old number. There is an amount on the billing, yet when I tried to pay it would not take the new CCd.
Everything goes back. It did say that I was restored to my top rating, but it now is back to the "Trading Member".

I try to do a private message and it keeps rejecting such when I start typing, it closes up that I have to have a name, but it will not take a name.

Does your staff hit the bottles in the late evening? HA! Just joking, but I am a tad POed.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:27 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Horrace,
I'll point our tech team to this post and see if they can figure out why you are having problems. They have been working on the system so that they can add in a couple of new servers in order to speed up the entire system, so that may be the reason why it caused you to have issues. What level should be at if not at trading plus member?? Should it be a Platinum member??

Ken
Old 08-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Hossfly

Yes Ken, it should be Platinum. Have kept Platinum here forever since I came on this forum years ago. Twice, yesterday, I received notes that I was returned to Platinum but it changed back within minutes.

Another point is the amount of money owed by either you or me. I changed to a different credit card as I recently deleted most of my old cards for these forums and other mail-order stuff. I am keeping all for my UAL mileage. Being a UAL retiree has also got to be a bundle of snakes. We UAL retirees are last in line since Scabneintal is really the true owner of UAL. Mostly now I just buy a ticket and go do whatever I need to travel for.
Your folks are a tad different than most financial purchasing, etc. I cannot decipher what to me looks like you use an in-parenthesis number for what you owe rather than standard of what I, as the customer, owes the account. Since I always pay my bill for Platinum each year in Sep/Oct and never ever have a billing with RCU. I fail to understand your fiscal statements. Your computer generated stuff is unable to discuss financial differences.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:48 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Ok, that should take care of the user level for you. As far as the money goes, there's not much I can do for you there are as I don't have anything to do with that part of RCU. I'll point John Neff's attention this direction so that he can take care of you on this.

Ken
Old 08-15-2014, 04:33 PM
Hossfly

Thank you, Ken, for all your kind help. Just one point about the money is; I keep my bills paid. If in any case There is an issue and RCU thinks I am not paying, then get to me quickly. Once I know who I am talking with and it is the right people, well the money will come to them.

OTOH being that I have always been a strong supporter for the current party NOT in the main seat, the letters come like rain this year and last year. This year I have not been so supportive, (cash-wise) and the mail comes in piles. FUNNY FUNNY. In any case I do and will support RCU.

So Thanks again.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:59 AM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Horrace,
The amount listed on your account is the credit you have available for use to post enhanced ads in the marketplace. When you see green numbers, that's how much credit is available to you in your account. If you ever see red numbers, that is the amount you owe the site.

Thank you for your continued support of RCUniverse.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.