Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Reasoning for AMA club officers

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Reasoning for AMA club officers

Old 06-04-2014, 07:19 AM
bradpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has been posted before that it is very easy to start (charter) an AMA club. That being said what actually matters is who controls the land for the field either by ownership, lease or usage agreement. If the parties that you are having issues with control the land then you are out of luck.

The AMA requirements for a Club Charter are very basic, unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your position on this) there is no requirement that officers be elected by the membership.

Last edited by bradpaul; 06-04-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:23 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by darrolair
... I'm very disappointed along with the fellow flyers in AMA's handling of this issue.

Thanks,
Darrolair
Darrolair,

It is important to remember that the AMA only has the power/authority that it has been given by the individual clubs that make up the AMA. The AMA has no authority to arbitrate disputes within an individual club, and the vast majority of AMA members would likely agree that is how it should be. The AMA exists to serve the individual flying clubs that make up its membership, it has no authority to tell an individual club what to do other than requiring compliance with safety code standards and chartering qualifications.

The member roster information will only contain the names and information that the club officers want in the roster. It's not uncommon for club roster information to go unedited for many years. If you were hoping for a comprehensive contact list that would allow you to easily reach out to contact every single member of your club, you would likely be extremely disappointed if you did get to see your club's member roster.

Whatever your local club issues might be, it's going to be up to your local club to resolve them. Good luck!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:34 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Bottom line; you can always form a new club.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:34 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

See my last post for the information that's contained on the AMA club roster.

That's it.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:10 AM
littlecrankshaf

From what I gather the problem here is more about issues within the club. I could be wrong but I think the OP is trying to find a way to contact other club members to compare notes in an effort to make changes.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:32 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Then the roster on the AMA site won't give him that avenue as there's no contact info on it.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:00 AM
littlecrankshaf

Correct. It might be at least somewhat helpful to know who is listed as a club member in this case.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:24 AM
r_adical
My Feedback: (19)

I like to know AMA's reasoning for Club Officers only to be able to view the club roster?

Darrolair
If you need help I live in Garrison and would be happy to help out if I can, we fly in Butte and I am an officer in our club. PM me if you want any help. I need a road trip and would be glad to come over and fly with you
Old 06-04-2014, 04:40 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

bradpaul,

We're getting off topic. I'm not going to discuss the problems at our field.

I wanted to know why "Officers only" can view members on the AMA website's club roster. Are members seen as less than equal? Only because they aren't officers. It has been suggested because of being able to view addresses and contact info. What other reasons?

Darrolair
If you're having club "issues" I don't see how access to the club roster would be relevant. Additionally, it's not the AMA's responsibility to resolve club issues. A club is a business and should be registered with your state as a business entity. As such, there are state and federal laws that dictate how a business entity must operate. Check your state and federal websites for information on the business requirements for your club.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:56 PM
My Feedback: (1)

A few years ago, an east coast club (google SSRCC, and look for the thread on Flying Giants) ran into some trouble,
where charter violations were alleged. The AMA did intervene in that case.
If the OP truly believes that his club's charter was obtained fraudulently, and can present some evidence,
the AMA might indeed be interested.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:40 PM
darrolair

To all who are interested, I wanted to know why members couldn't access the club roster. Nothing more nothing less. Please don't assume anything more than that.
I think Barracudaockey explained it best. As far as any member being able to change the roster, was what I got from his reply.
I have contacted AMA several times. I didn't ask them this question, because I was looking for answers to other questions.
The issues we're having at our field will not be changed by AMA.
All they will do is file our report. I had hopes of the charter being terminated. Yes, I believe they have the power to do that, but choose to stay out of club problems.
Our group of fellows have learned many things from this and trust me, we will be more prepared for the next uprising.
I have definitely learned, I'm not going to put my hand on a hot stove after being burned once already.
We have sent evidence to AMA for fraudulent charter. Their response is file a report.
Being burned by one charter doesn't make having another one feel better.
We were fine without one before and we'll be fine without one now.

Thanks for all the reply's,
Darrolair
Old 06-04-2014, 05:54 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

To all who are interested, I wanted to know why members couldn't access the club roster. Nothing more nothing less. Please don't assume anything more than that.
I think Barracudaockey explained it best. As far as any member being able to change the roster, was what I got from his reply.
I have contacted AMA several times. I didn't ask them this question, because I was looking for answers to other questions.
The issues we're having at our field will not be changed by AMA.
All they will do is file our report. I had hopes of the charter being terminated. Yes, I believe they have the power to do that, but choose to stay out of club problems.
Our group of fellows have learned many things from this and trust me, we will be more prepared for the next uprising.
I have definitely learned, I'm not going to put my hand on a hot stove after being burned once already.
We have sent evidence to AMA for fraudulent charter. Their response is file a report.
Being burned by one charter doesn't make having another one feel better.
We were fine without one before and we'll be fine without one now.

Thanks for all the reply's,
Darrolair
Since the AMA club roster application on the AMA website was designed, built, and is supported by AMA for the purpose of executing AMA business processes it's fitting that the only folks that could answer your question is the AMA.