Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Reasoning for AMA club officers

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Reasoning for AMA club officers

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 06:53 PM
darrolair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reasoning for AMA club officers

I like to know AMA's reasoning for Club Officers only to be able to view the club roster?

Darrolair
Old 05-21-2014, 08:30 PM
warningshot

Why not ask the AMA?
Old 05-21-2014, 09:00 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by darrolair
I like to know AMA's reasoning for Club Officers only to be able to view the club roster?

Darrolair

Are you talking about viewing the official club roster over in the AMA records? Or just viewing the clubs roster for by the officers without the AMa involved?
Old 05-22-2014, 04:20 AM
darrolair

I'm asking viewing the club roster on the AMA website.

Darrolair
Old 05-22-2014, 05:37 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

I as a member DO NOT want snoopers, advertisers or others in my STUFF! That being said, bet most other members feel the same way? Might be why AMA does this, do you think?????
Old 05-22-2014, 10:33 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

people's membership information and contact information can be sensitive .. Imagine if I was able to gain access to all of that just by jointing the AMA? If I was in marketing and trying to sell something, and I knew for $60 or so dollars i could get 1000's of people's contact info I would say that would be money well spent...

Our club doesn't share our local club membership information within itself over concerns of privacy. If I need to contact another member I'd have to send an email to the president with my contact info, asking that it be passed along, obviously in the even I didn't see them at the field.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:56 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At one of my clubs they publish a membership roster with all the members address listed IMO that is not the best idea.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:59 PM
darrolair

I agree to giving out contact and addresses being a negative. Knowing a person's name on the roster would be a positive.

Don't think for a moment that all officers are on the up and up, who have contact info and addresses.

Darrolair

Last edited by darrolair; 05-22-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:51 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree to giving out contact and addresses being a negative. Knowing a person's name on the roster would be a positive.

Don't think for a moment that all officers are on the up and up, who have contact info and addresses.

Darrolair
I really don't see the point of anyone else having access. The AMA roster is maintained only by the club officer(s), not by the AMA in any way. If the officers aren't on top of things, you could have a seriously outdated list that is completely useless. If it's kept up to date, it's a useful tool. In my case, as Treasurer of our club, I use it at renewal time to monitor who has, or hasn't, renewed their AMA. The only information on the AMA roster is the person's first and last name, their AMA# and the expiration date of their membership. While it seems innocuous, in my opinion, this is nothing the average person would need immediate access to. If you need to know if someone is a member of your club, or have concerns about them, you should contact your club officers.

If you need to verify a person's AMA status, you can use this page.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/MembershipQuery.aspx

In our club, no one but the officers has access to the club's membership roster. Even all of our official club emails are sent as "BCC" - blind copy, so you only see your own email address. In our opinion, any information in the roster is given to the club for club related business and is not for distribution outside for any purpose without that member's express permission. To that end, we even have a voluntary list of people who want to be forwarded the commercial email offers sent to the Secretary. We gladly forward contact requests and in the near future, hope to have a "contact a member" section on our website.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:44 PM
darrolair

Hemikiller,

Our charter was made fraudulantly. Paid for by one person who self appointed his own officers. These officers are not a true representation of the group of fellows I've been flying with for 10 years. He holds all the power. We voted him out, but we can't remove him. AMA won't help because it's a club issue. I can't access the club roster because I'm not an officer. Oh, I can and have called AMA to find out who the officers are.

AMA is real good about helping start a club charter , but when things go south. They don't want to interfere. I have a real sour taste for AMA. I may get past It some time. I still see no reason to keep the names of people on the roster from members.

Darrol
Old 06-02-2014, 06:40 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Hemikiller;11815917
XXX XXX
The only information on the AMA roster is the person's first and last name, their AMA# and the expiration date of their membership. While it seems innocuous, in my opinion, this is nothing the average person would need immediate access to. If you need to know if someone is a member of your club, or have concerns about them, you should contact your club officers.
If you need to verify a person's AMA status, you can use this page.

[URL]http://www.modelaircraft.org/MembershipQuery.aspx[/URL] QUOTE]

Ha, HA, HA! Excellent posting here Mr. Hemikiller. For how many years -- a bunch -- have I used my "AMA number" as L-93 for all kinds of things. So I tried your information. You guessed it. I did not exist! Took out my AMA Card and the magic was there, L93 "Life 93". The computer knows what it gets fed and no more, no less.
Some fun, eh? I am glad the many Event Directors don't care for checking the numbers. HA! Of course if so then I would have caught my error earlier -- I thinnnk!

Last edited by Hossfly; 06-02-2014 at 06:44 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 06-02-2014, 10:14 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hemikiller,

Our charter was made fraudulantly. Paid for by one person who self appointed his own officers. These officers are not a true representation of the group of fellows I've been flying with for 10 years. He holds all the power. We voted him out, but we can't remove him. AMA won't help because it's a club issue. I can't access the club roster because I'm not an officer. Oh, I can and have called AMA to find out who the officers are.

AMA is real good about helping start a club charter , but when things go south. They don't want to interfere. I have a real sour taste for AMA. I may get past It some time. I still see no reason to keep the names of people on the roster from members.

Darrol

I think I would look for another club.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:22 AM
darrolair

Ira d,
Population is a little more thin than that.
Next nearest club is 75 miles away.
We as a group, are working on other avenues. Thanks for your idea.

Darrolair
Old 06-03-2014, 04:40 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Darrolair,

Sounds more like a business than a club, are they claiming a tax exempt status? That could really change things, we have a similar situation in this area.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:57 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hemikiller,

Darrol

Changing officers in a club is not accomplished through the roster, it's handled when you renew your charter, or directly through Lois at AMA - [email protected] or 1-800-435-9262 ext. 291

Guessing you probably already know that though....

Not sure what the next step would be, probably to charter a new club at the same flying site if your existing one is essentially a fraud....
Old 06-03-2014, 10:47 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Talk to Mike Mossbroker first before you do anything else
Old 06-03-2014, 04:00 PM
darrolair

Hemikiller,
I do know that and more since this has taken place.

BarracudaHockey,
Mike Mossbroker has had by-passes and Chuck Bower has taken his place. He has been informed and so has Dave Mathewson and Ilana Maine. We're waiting for a reply. However, this will just be a report for the incident and probably nothing more. I'm very disappointed along with the fellow flyers in AMA's handling of this issue.

Thanks,
Darrolair
Old 06-03-2014, 05:02 PM
bradpaul

From looking at the website for the only club in Polson, MT missionvalleymodelaviation.com it looks like a very nice field. Who holds the lease? If the club holds the lease and as it only takes six AMA members to charter a club, just what is the issue?

Last edited by bradpaul; 06-03-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:37 PM
darrolair

bradpaul,

We're getting off topic. I'm not going to discuss the problems at our field.

I wanted to know why "Officers only" can view members on the AMA website's club roster. Are members seen as less than equal? Only because they aren't officers. It has been suggested because of being able to view addresses and contact info. What other reasons?

Darrolair
Old 06-03-2014, 07:47 PM
bradpaul

Because the "Club Roster" is used by club officers to maintain and update the membership roster, if you have access you can add, delete and change member information. i.e. first name, last name, city, state. There is no you can only look but not change option.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:00 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Ira d,

We as a group, are working on other avenues. Thanks for your idea.

Darrolair
Hmmm...just wondering how the club's operation is reconciling with the bylaws of the club...
Old 06-03-2014, 08:15 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bradpaul,

I wanted to know why "Officers only" can view members on the AMA website's club roster. Are members seen as less than equal? Only because they aren't officers. It has been suggested because of being able to view addresses and contact info. What other reasons?

Darrolair
Well, when one gets right down to it, in my political aeromodeling, the AMA Staff should NOT be handing out any Club's private business. The word "club" has a number of definitions within the English language. The definition of a toy-airplane club can best be described - in my opinion - by this quote from my very old "The Reader's Digest Great Encyclopedic Dictionary", Said quote is, "A group organized for some mutual aim or pursuit, especially a group that meets regularly." There are a number of other definitions near this quoted one.
I have been a member of various model airplane clubs since around 1950, starting with a group of about 8 high-school kids flying control-line. Both large clubs and small clubs of CL, FF, and RC and have been very competitive in many versions of modeling, yet the fun part always was first. I have served as AMA Contest Coordinator, AMA District Vice President, and Club Officers in most of the various officer positions such as VP, President, Safety Officer, Secretary, and Newsletter Editor. Every position and each club has its hard-core workers, along with the copper-head snakes. Such is the nature of people. My experiences certainly have set a number of differences within my realms of thought. At 78 years old and still fairly strong, I take each look from various points and changes do happen. I now belong to 3 RC Clubs, one of which I financed and purchased 100 acres for a good flying field. www.jetero.com The club now owns 50 nice flat acres and has very good facilities, yet there
are and always will be those that think they own the place. They have to be retrained a bit and annual officer positions spread around a bit.
Now with all that stuff, IMO, a toy airplane Club is a local item and said club should be for the membership. Said membership needs to take a part in that club (Don't I wish?) and keep AMA out of that club's private business. When a Club gets over-taken by a few - it will - that is because too many members set down on their lard-butts and let it happen. The Club's members can be just like any organization's politics. Members sit and let things happen. Same as our AMA right now. It is, IMO, in a whirl trying to become masters of the hobby. Let them control your club's membership and what does your club become? Just another thorn in your side.
Therefore, Darrolair, get your club organized with the membership running the club, and then you will have all the statistics in front of you. You and your buddies best reestablish your Club as a group to serve the membership. BTW, 2 clubs on one facility is definitely suicide for both. Get moving!
Old 06-04-2014, 03:34 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

bradpaul,

Darrolair
There's no addresses or other contact info.
First Name, Last Name, AMA number, Officer or Club Member, and AMA Current or Expired

And the ability to add or delete members to the roster. If you add a member you need their last name and AMA number.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:16 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Originally Posted by ira d
At one of my clubs they publish a membership roster with all the members address listed IMO that is not the best idea.

In one of my clubs they include phone number, good idea if you need to contact another member
Old 06-04-2014, 06:23 AM
phlpsfrnk

Darrolair
As suggested by warningshot in post #2 your best answer will come from the AMA itself. Try the link below;

http://www.modelaircraft.org/askama/

My guess would primarily be to prevent spammers.

Most clubs I've belonged to publish the club roster but usually only to other members. As for your issues with your club’s officers if you could prove the charter is fraudulent the best the AMA could do would be to pull the charter. Other than that the AMA has no authority in what amounts to a local issue and I'm not sure what you would expect the AMA to do.

Regards
Frank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.