Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA Issues "Interpretation of the special rule for model aircraft"

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA Issues "Interpretation of the special rule for model aircraft"

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:37 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure it matters what they call it. People will have trouble with dicerning the difference in any case.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:35 PM
archerry
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Hoss... Yes sir, I am aware that we need to carry identification in our "toy airplanes" but that this point, I believe that is only an AMA requirement.
When I refer to "N" numbers, I am refering to an official government issued number that full scale aircraft are issued.
I remember recently AMA asking me to partake in a model safety inspection program. I wonder is the motive behind this was part of that.
If that happens, would that make AMA irrelavent (or about as relavent as AAA) and we could seek insurance elsewhere?
Old 07-15-2014, 02:09 PM
bradpaul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeuKQ63w5lk

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SeuKQ63w5lk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Got an email from the AMA today that stated that tomorrow the AMA would send out some sort of summary on their meeting with the FAA last Wed, with details of the deviations they requested from the FAA letter.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:58 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Question: If a person does have commercial pilots license with ATP and a number of type ratings,
His he legal to fly a model aircraft for compensation or hire?

Last edited by HoundDog; 07-15-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:26 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Thomas B
Got an email from the AMA today that stated that tomorrow the AMA would send out some sort of summary on their meeting with the FAA last Wed, with details of the deviations they requested from the FAA letter.
That should be an interesting read. Would love to hear the FAA's side of it to compare.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:50 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Question: If a person does have commercial pilots license with ATP and a number of type ratings,
It has been over 18 years since I set the parking-brake the last time. Things have changed. Back then to be an airline Captain, one had to have an Airline Transport Pilot license. Then one had to have a type-rating for the specific airplane he was Captain for. One also had to have a 1st Class physical each 6 months. Some of those doctors were like giving an Aviation Cadet Entry physical - like really a trial. Some were OK with you if you could count out the $$$s he charged, you were good to go. In all cases the airline Capt. had to do the chores each 6 months for commercial airlines, here in the states. I never flew for a foreign one. I never knew any call for a type rating for an RC Model. HA! If some of the BIG BOYS get that idea, well, it could very well come to be another law! SSSssssH! They just might be listening!!
Old 07-16-2014, 03:46 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
That should be an interesting read. Would love to hear the FAA's side of it to compare.
Remember - when a bureaucrat's lips are moving, they're lying.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:36 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Interesting; not very factual but interesting.

Frank
Old 07-16-2014, 09:35 AM
PointMagu
My Feedback: (11)

Default Big Brother

Originally Posted by ira d
You have to wonder why the FAA wants so much to get involved with model airplanes to point of trying to skirt around the law.
Be advised that the FAA is most likely attempting to keep HOMELAND SECURITY out of the equation.
Reckless use of this new technology and hobbyist's insane need to keep pushing the envelope is going to result in a total ban on model flying. We are NOT living in the same country we did before 9/11.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:34 AM
bradpaul

Default Another moron

New York Man Busted For Flying Drone Outside Exam Windows At Medical Office

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/...-center-687432
Old 07-16-2014, 01:28 PM
r_adical
My Feedback: (19)

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
Interesting; not very factual but interesting.

Frank

You gotta love the ingenuity and comedy skills
Old 07-16-2014, 02:30 PM
learn2turn

I would think the vehicle also has to be inspected and meet all regulations.

-l2t
Old 07-16-2014, 04:57 PM
Thomas B

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Well, no AMA letter yet, today. I predict the AMA is working on it and we will see it ASAP.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:57 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OFF SUBJECT: Leaving early AM. Driving because I am going to Muncie for Sat. morning EC meeting. Looking forward to see what happens.

On Sun maybe Monday, I am going on up to Upper Peninsula of Michigan and trying to sell my summer place there. Getting too old to play there anymore besides the taxes are too much for the common man. Michigan taxes for outsiders are 3 times resident. Want IT???
No computer for a couple weeks, mostly just Small-Mouth and Northern for a couple weeks. Then when I get home I have a lot of RC to catch up with.
So YA'LL get that FAA all straightened out. I know you will. Have fun!
Old 07-17-2014, 05:43 AM
bradpaul

Default FAA investigates congressman's drone wedding video

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/2603835...ne-for-wedding
Old 07-17-2014, 06:00 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

WHY would anyone be so self absorbed as to do this literally "in the face" of the FAA? WHY?
Old 07-17-2014, 06:01 AM
Sport_Pilot

You beat me to posting that! That one may actually help, maybe at least one congressman will understand the issue as bogus.

That one was on Drudge which is not so good. I hope he doesn't end up with a Drone section like he does now for illegal immigration.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:02 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Bob Pastorello
WHY would anyone be so self absorbed as to do this literally "in the face" of the FAA? WHY?
Maybe because he understands that a judge rulled that the FAA has no regulation and until it does has no authority. Maybe he will point that out to the press. Actually his spokeman did point that out.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:08 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Part 91 defines PIC and because it applies to all on board an aircraft, then part 91 applies to ultralights but not model airplanes.
Not true. Part 91 does not apply to ultralight operations. Only Part 103 governs UL. One reason that Part 91 doesn't apply is that ULs by definition are not airplanes....they are vehicles.

Subpart A—General

§ 103.1 Applicability.

This part prescribes rules governing the operation of ultralight vehicles in the United States.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:38 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by radfordc
Not true. Part 91 does not apply to ultralight operations. Only Part 103 governs UL. One reason that Part 91 doesn't apply is that ULs by definition are not airplanes....they are vehicles.

Subpart A—General

§ 103.1 Applicability.

This part prescribes rules governing the operation of ultralight vehicles in the United States.
The definition of aircraft is in the US Code and that covers all craft that moves through the air. Part 91 says it applies to all on board and aircraft, so Part 91 does apply. And if you don't believe me then next time you fly an ultralight into an airport (yes some people do that), ignore the controller, fly against the pattern, and break a bunch of other rules and you will find out what Part the FAA quotes when they fine you.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:03 AM
Thomas B

The AMA email showed up today, but was lacking any details about what the FAA said in their meeting. The email sends you to this new posting in the Gov Realtions part of AMA what gives a simplified version of the AMA position.

Not too impressed with the video...

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutam...eResponse.aspx
Old 07-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Thomas B

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
The definition of aircraft is in the US Code and that covers all craft that moves through the air. Part 91 says it applies to all on board and aircraft, so Part 91 does apply. And if you don't believe me then next time you fly an ultralight into an airport (yes some people do that), ignore the controller, fly against the pattern, and break a bunch of other rules and you will find out what Part the FAA quotes when they fine you.
It is my understanding that Part 103 specifically exempts ultralights from Part 91, as long as you follow what is stated in Part 103.

If you are not in compliance with Part 103, then you lose the ultralight exceptions, per your scenario.

Sounds a lot like us and the model aircraft exeptions in Part 336 vs. FAR Part 91, with the FAA wanting to hammer us with Part 91 when they feel the need to do so.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:23 AM
N410DC

Originally Posted by learn2turn
I would think the vehicle also has to be inspected and meet all regulations.

-l2t
I think the FAA contends that the aircraft also must have a type certificate from the FAA, and a registration (eg an "N" number) to be used for commercial purposes. Full scale aircraft used for commercial purposes also have other requirements, such as 100 hour inspections.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:47 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by Bob Pastorello
Remember - when a bureaucrat's lips are moving, they're lying.
No Roberto, that's a politician. Bureaucrats obfuscate.

CR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.