Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA Issues "Interpretation of the special rule for model aircraft"

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA Issues "Interpretation of the special rule for model aircraft"

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 08:06 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I see nothing wrong with the wording. It says nothing about commercial use. The FAA and the federal government has no right to restrict commercial use of sUAV anyway so the matter will become moot.
“strictly for hobby or recreational use,” is in fact talking about commercial use. And the FAA and federal govt do have the right to restrict commercial use of sUAVs, and will continue to do so under the guise of "safety". It is what it is.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:09 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by porcia83
“strictly for hobby or recreational use,” is in fact talking about commercial use. And the FAA and federal govt do have the right to restrict commercial use of sUAVs, and will continue to do so under the guise of "safety". It is what it is.
No it does not speak for payment for hobby use. If you are doing a demo and are paid, it is still for hobby use. If you are testing a plane as a paid employee it is still hobby use. If you win money at a contest it is still for hobby use. Just as many win money for bowling, racing, and many many other hobbies.

Besides the FAA has no business regulating intrastate commerce. The government only gives them the right to regulate interstate commerce. sUAV's flying under FAA minimum altitude limits and flying from point A to point A are intrastate commerce.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:19 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No it does not speak for payment for hobby use. If you are doing a demo and are paid, it is still for hobby use. If you are testing a plane as a paid employee it is still hobby use. If you win money at a contest it is still for hobby use. Just as many win money for bowling, racing, and many many other hobbies.

Besides the FAA has no business regulating intrastate commerce. The government only gives them the right to regulate interstate commerce. sUAV's flying under FAA minimum altitude limits and flying from point A to point A are intrastate commerce.
+1
Old 07-21-2014, 10:30 AM
JohnShe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Professional bowlers win money. That is commercial.

Amateur bowlers win trophies. That is recreational.

The recreational model aviation industry is commercial but it supports the recreational side of the hobby. As such, the FAA should either clarify their language or grant an exemption.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

porcia83 - I believe you are correct, particularly as in the Interpretive Rule, FAA takes a lot of extra words to be very exact, and very precise in their defining "Hobby" and "Recreational". In many of the comments submitted to the FAA, this sponsorship/prize/contest demo issue has been mentioned by many people as being something that needs additional exemption to the FAA's definition of "Commercial". As it is written right now, unless changed, ALL of those "sponsored" activities are DOA.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:37 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnShe

The recreational model aviation industry is commercial but it supports the recreational side of the hobby. As such, the FAA should either clarify their language or grant an exemption.
Amateur bowlers can also win money but I don't see that as being commercial and there is no rule that I know of to say they can't win money. IMO this idea
that if one cents changes hands it is a commercial operation needs to go.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:48 AM
Sport_Pilot

No one gives out trophies anymore except to big tournaments and professional and amateur alike get both trophies and money. And it is still a sport or hobby and recreational.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 07-21-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:33 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Say what u want. They have said "How they are Interpretating #336 The FAA is like the IRS they make the rules.
If U don't play by their rules. Well like I said it's their game and "THEY MAKE ALL THE RULES".
Old 07-21-2014, 12:03 PM
Sport_Pilot

Well like I said it's their game and "THEY MAKE ALL THE RULES".
It's not their game, it is our game. And we need to take actions and not make up excuses and play like sheep.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:35 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Section 336(c) of the law defines “Model Aircraft” as “… an unmanned aircraft that is –

(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;
(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and
(3)
flown for hobby or recreational purposes.Each element of this definition must be met for a UAS to be considered a Model Aircraft under the Act. Under Section 336(a) of the Act the FAA is restricted from conducting further rulemaking specific to Model Aircraft as defined in section 336(c) so long as the Model Aircraft operations are conducted in accordance with the requirement of section 336(a). Section 336(a) requires that—

(1)
the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;

Sport_Pilot started to go into this in post 502, but I'd like to get just a bit deeper into it:

I'd like to throw something out here, concerning part of "336c". I'm certainly no lawyer, but I'd like to hear/read a lawyer's input on just one word - "hobby". In many venues - including here, I've seen many posts and articles arguing for/against the various manufacturers' flight efforts/rights, as pertains to "336c". This includes demo flights, flight instruction, flight testing, the whole gamut.

Let's say, just for the sake of argument, that I work for a model manufacturer and I'm going to test-fly a plane as part of my work. I've heard/read lots of arguments saying that those kinds of flights would be commercial in nature and therefore the "aircraft/air-vehicle/whatever-you-wanna-call-it" would NOT be a model airplane, legally.

I say IT IS a model airplane, legally, and the rule that I've copied above states it - categorically. The rule is written in English. "Hobby"-use of an "aircraft/air-vehicle/whatever-you-wanna-call-it" is specifically allowed in the rule. "Hobby"-use can/should/usually-is understood to include the industry itself, is it not?. The "hobby" industry would be test-flying the "aircraft/air-vehicle/whatever-you-wanna-call-it" in support of the "hobby", therefore, I see it as a model airplane. The rule states: "...strictly for hobby or recreational use" - and that's "hobby" use.

Being paid, or not paid, doesn't even come into the equasion.

Could a lawyer not make that argument? Could WE not make that argument?

Last edited by skylark-flier; 07-21-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:04 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Spoke with a club member over the weekend that has a full time job with a large aviation company and spends working most of his time in communication with the FAA on compliance issues. His take after talking to his contact is that in terms of flying withine 5 miles of an airport and having to notifiy said airport is: That requirement will only apply to class A, B, C and D airports. There are no class A airports in the US, based on a little quick research. There are around 37 class B airports and around 122 class C airports. There are some unknown number of class D airports (having some type of manned control tower), but the total of all types of these airports will be far, far less than the figure of 17,000 airports bandied about recently that modelers would have to negotiate with to be able to fly within 5 miles.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:09 PM
Thomas B

The counter on the FAA comment pages took a nice jump over the weekend to around 23,000 comments. Looks like the FAA was far, far behind in processing them.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:10 PM
cj_rumley

Awww, Thomas there you go spoiling a good scare story.

cj
Old 07-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Bob Pastorello

Thomas B - I made a similar suggestion a couple hundred posts ago and was shot down by somebody crowing about "you still have airport OPERATORS, or OWNERS, and THEY must be notified".
My belief is this - simply put - if the FAA is going to be militantly literal in their interpretation and definitions of things, so can we, and as such, the requirement is to report to the TOWER or Traffic Control Center. If your "within-5-mile-airport" doesn't have those two things, I believe we should rely on what we always have. Simple communication to identify our presence, and make sure the local FBO users know, and that we follow the AMA guidelines per see and avoid and altitude.
It will be interesting to see how this part shakes out as well as the "commercial" thing.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:03 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Thomas B
Spoke with a club member over the weekend that has a full time job with a large aviation company and spends working most of his time in communication with the FAA on compliance issues. His take after talking to his contact is that in terms of flying withine 5 miles of an airport and having to notifiy said airport is: That requirement will only apply to class A, B, C and D airports. There are no class A airports in the US, based on a little quick research. There are around 37 class B airports and around 122 class C airports. There are some unknown number of class D airports (having some type of manned control tower), but the total of all types of these airports will be far, far less than the figure of 17,000 airports bandied about recently that modelers would have to negotiate with to be able to fly within 5 miles.
NAS explained: https://www.google.com/search?q=airs...w=1024&bih=692

U may think that the FAA has no right to make certain Rules, But all they have said is this is how they are going to interpret #336 of the "FAA modernization and reform act of 2012"
Time will tell.

Last edited by HoundDog; 07-21-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:36 PM
Thomas B

Originally Posted by HoundDog
NAS explained: https://www.google.com/search?q=airs...w=1024&bih=692

U may think that the FAA has no right to make certain Rules, But all they have said is this is how they are going to interpret #336 of the "FAA modernization and reform act of 2012"
Time will tell.
In this case, we are not talking about airspace, which I am familair with. We are talking about airports....a lot of similarities and overlap, but some differences as well. The FAA interpretaion talks specifically about working with airports and not airspace.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:48 PM
N410DC

Spoke with a club member over the weekend that has a full time job with a large aviation company and spends working most of his time in communication with the FAA on compliance issues. His take after talking to his contact is that in terms of flying within 5 miles of an airport and having to notifiy said airport is: That requirement will only apply to class A, B, C and D airports. There are no class A airports in the US, based on a little quick research. There are around 37 class B airports and around 122 class C airports. There are some unknown number of class D airports (having some type of manned control tower), but the total of all types of these airports will be far, far less than the figure of 17,000 airports bandied about recently that modelers would have to negotiate with to be able to fly within 5 miles.
As it's written, the FAA's interpretation does not differentiate between airports in Class B/D/C airspace (airspace under control by a tower) and airports in Class E/G airspace (airports without an control tower, or a control tower that is closed.) It think it would be a reasonable compromise for the FAA to limit the 5 mile restriction to Class B/C/D airspace, but I have not see this in writing from the FAA. Remember, even full scale aircraft are strictly prohibited from operating in Class B/C/D unless they are in continuous contact with air traffic control.

Class A airspace is all airspace above 18,000' above mean sea level. As you said, we have no airports in the USA that are that high. As far as I can tell, the only terrain in the USA that extends into Class A is Mt. McKinley in Alaska. I think it is perfectly reasonable to prohibit R/C operation in Class A airspace. All full scale aircraft in Class A airspace must fly under instrument flight rules, and must file an IFR flight plan. This also means that the aircraft have to be equipped for instrument flight, and the pilot(s) must be instrument rated. Under instrument flight rules, the usual "see and avoid" rules do not apply. I think one could argue that R/C flight at and above that altitude cannot be conducted safely, at least with our current technology.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:57 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob Pastorello
porcia83 - I believe you are correct, particularly as in the Interpretive Rule, FAA takes a lot of extra words to be very exact, and very precise in their defining "Hobby" and "Recreational". In many of the comments submitted to the FAA, this sponsorship/prize/contest demo issue has been mentioned by many people as being something that needs additional exemption to the FAA's definition of "Commercial". As it is written right now, unless changed, ALL of those "sponsored" activities are DOA.
Yup...and it's a shame. To broad of an approach is being taken, they don't need a cruise missile to take out a mosquito.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Yup...and it's a shame. To broad of an approach is being taken, they don't need a cruise missile to take out a mosquito.
Maybe their first notice is a stalking horse. ??

CR
Old 07-21-2014, 03:56 PM
Thomas B

Originally Posted by N410DC
As it's written, the FAA's interpretation does not differentiate between airports in Class B/D/C airspace (airspace under control by a tower) and airports in Class E/G airspace (airports without an control tower, or a control tower that is closed.) It think it would be a reasonable compromise for the FAA to limit the 5 mile restriction to Class B/C/D airspace, but I have not see this in writing from the FAA. Remember, even full scale aircraft are strictly prohibited from operating in Class B/C/D unless they are in continuous contact with air traffic control.

Class A airspace is all airspace above 18,000' above mean sea level. As you said, we have no airports in the USA that are that high. As far as I can tell, the only terrain in the USA that extends into Class A is Mt. McKinley in Alaska. I think it is perfectly reasonable to prohibit R/C operation in Class A airspace. All full scale aircraft in Class A airspace must fly under instrument flight rules, and must file an IFR flight plan. This also means that the aircraft have to be equipped for instrument flight, and the pilot(s) must be instrument rated. Under instrument flight rules, the usual "see and avoid" rules do not apply. I think one could argue that R/C flight at and above that altitude cannot be conducted safely, at least with our current technology.
Simply repeating what an FAA person told the gentleman who works with him. I have a feeling it will work eventually work out that way. Agreed, we will have to see how it shakes out, but worth remembering that the airports without controllers (less than class D) are going to be more difficult to find a responsible party to communicate with.

Class A airports are not defined by the altitude they are at. They are defined by the requirement for IFR operations and flight plans, only. Simliar to the class A airspace requirement, but none of these airports are at 18K feet. I think there are 6 or 7 in the entire world, and, as mentioned, none in the US, so not a problem for modelers.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:19 PM
HoundDog

Simply repeating what an FAA person told the gentleman who works with him. I have a feeling it will work eventually work out that way. Agreed, we will have to see how it shakes out, but worth remembering that the airports without controllers (less than class D) are going to be more difficult to find a responsible party to communicate with.

Class A airports are not defined by the altitude they are at. They are defined by the requirement for IFR operations and flight plans, only. Simliar to the class A airspace requirement, but none of these airports are at 18K feet. I think there are 6 or 7 in the entire world, and, as mentioned, none in the US, so not a problem for modelers.
There is always the airport manager or the owner.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:25 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Charley
Maybe their first notice is a stalking horse. ??

CR
Of course of course!
Old 07-21-2014, 07:13 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Exactly what I keep harping about.the for and multi copter vehicles are working toward commerical ends
Old 07-22-2014, 03:29 AM
porcia83
Banned

Some are, but I don't think that could be said for a majority of them. Don't forget that way of flying isn't limited to multi-rotors either, that kind of flying has been going on for some time before multi-rotors came into being.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:09 PM
Bob Pastorello

I hope everyone has read this - although the title is slightly misleading (it is **NOT** only about quads!!!). I would definitely recommend careful, deliberate reading all the way through. It provides some much-needed statutory insight as to "why" the FAA believes their interpretation is valid.

From FAA.gov - http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...m?newsId=16674

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.