Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA Issues "Interpretation of the special rule for model aircraft"

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA Issues "Interpretation of the special rule for model aircraft"

Old 07-23-2014, 01:55 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porcia83
It is truly bizarre to have witnessed the FAA argue that it's own papers (e-mails etc) were not really binding, just "suggestions". To any average person reading that e-mail/opinion, it sure looked like something that stated an official position.
The mind set of the stereotypical "FAA man" is that they are the unquestioned authority, not to be disputed...no matter how flakey or mis-informed they may really be. It's not hard for me to believe that the guy who sent the original "cease and desist" email though that it was much more than a suggestion. Only after the matter reached a judge did someone in the FAA take a step back and "weasel word" there response.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Sport_Pilot

Trying to clarify, are you stating that a post about the FAA was a lie, or the press release that was issued by the FAA describing the outcome of the court case was a complete lie? If it's the FAA press release you're talking about, I'm not following that logic. They reported on the results of a court case that was decided in their favor. I get that we might disagree on the interpretation of the decision, but I don't understand the "complete lie" comment.

The FAA lost the court case and the press release was a complete fabrication.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:00 PM
N410DC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...It is truly bizarre to have witnessed the FAA argue that it's own papers (e-mails etc) were not really binding, just "suggestions". To any average person reading that e-mail/opinion, it sure looked like something that stated an official position.
I do not see how any notice sent by email (or most other electronic means) can be legally binding. Many e-mail messages never get to the intended recipient for a variety of reasons, and anyone with a minimal amount of knowledge can easily forge an official-looking email. The FAA's admission is sound. If they want to send a cease and desist notice, they need to serve the recipient via. a means that can be proven and backed up in Court. Even if a defendant did receive and read a notice, he/she can simply delete the message and claim he/she never saw it. It would be very difficult, perhaps impossible, for the plaintiff to prove that the defendant actually received the notice.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:09 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Originally Posted by N410DC
I do not see how any notice sent by email (or most other electronic means) can be legally binding. Many e-mail messages never get to the intended recipient for a variety of reasons, and anyone with a minimal amount of knowledge can easily forge an official-looking email. The FAA's admission is sound. If they want to send a cease and desist notice, they need to serve the recipient via. a means that can be proven and backed up in Court. Even if a defendant did receive and read a notice, he/she can simply delete the message and claim he/she never saw it. It would be very difficult, perhaps impossible, for the plaintiff to prove that the defendant actually received the notice.
Sadly,I can attest from professional experience that delivery of, and viewing, an email or other electronic document CAN be established to satisfy rules of evidence, and therefore CAN be used in legal proceedings. All that is required are search and seizure warrants based on probable cause. But that's not the issue in question; just thought I'd clarify a misconception about technical forensics.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:51 PM
N410DC

Originally Posted by Bob Pastorello
Sadly,I can attest from professional experience that delivery of, and viewing, an email or other electronic document CAN be established to satisfy rules of evidence, and therefore CAN be used in legal proceedings. All that is required are search and seizure warrants based on probable cause. But that's not the issue in question; just thought I'd clarify a misconception about technical forensics.
I have certainly heard of some instances where an e-mail message has been used after being found on a defendant's computer (or perhaps on an e-mail server.) However, if the e-mail was deleted in an unrecoverable manner, there would be no way to prove that it was received; there would be nothing to "search" for, or to "seize." A plaintiff could prove that the message was sent, but I think they would have a hard time proving that it was received and read. This was the point I was trying to make, and this was the point to FAA made in their acknowledgement.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:35 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

n410,
just an fyi,
the email server that sends an email on the final leg of it's travels, and all the others from origin on, do record when and where the email went from them.
now, it "might"be hard to prove someone in particular, at the terminal stop, read any specific email. but easy to prove which computer downloaded it from the final server.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:12 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by N410DC
Agree that in most cases proof of delivery would need to be established. I don't think that was the central issue here though as both sides agree the document came from the FAA, and was received by the other party.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:10 AM
Bob Pastorello

Well, boys and girls, tomorrow is the deadline for comments. As of this morning over 25,000 on the FAA site. Yikes.
Show of hands - who among us "believe" that the FAA is going to READ every one of them?
Second question - who among us "believes" that the FAA has any (or has ever had) real intent to solicit suggestions for changes and intends to make changes??
Final question -
I've not been able to find it anywhere - is there a "due date" for the revision/change of the existing Interpretive Rule? and
What do the words of the Interpretive Rule "become"? (some new statute in FARs?, amendments to CURRENT FARs?, something else?)

[Honestly I don't have any ideas about answers to these questions - does anyone out there know?]
Old 07-24-2014, 06:15 AM
geoardsog5
My Feedback: (31)

Trust me RCers. After 34 years in full scale aviation, I can tell you that the NPRM comment process can work, when it comes to stopping regulatory stupidity.Time is running out - go to www. regulations.gov, comment on Docket#FAA-2014-0396.The site works great, it's easy to do.If enough people comment, FAA will have to listen. Deadline is tomorrow at 11:59 PM E.D.T.

Last edited by geoardsog5; 07-24-2014 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:23 AM
porcia83
Banned

I can't find it now, but I do recall seeing a comment from someone at the FAA noting that there really were no changes planned, that the comment period is there as a matter of process. They had already reviewed the matter extensively and it was doubtful anything would change. As someone with far more experience than I has indicated above, it's a possibility they will listen. I hope there is room to carve out some waivers/exceptions. I guess we'll see eventually.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:03 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like the FAA is putting out the word to the control towers to be watchful of RC / drone activity. They intend to seriously pursue this matter or else theyare looking for ammunition for the fight that looms.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m..._(7_14_14).pdf
Old 07-24-2014, 07:22 AM
JohnShe

Well, boys and girls, tomorrow is the deadline for comments. As of this morning over 25,000 on the FAA site. Yikes.
Show of hands - who among us "believe" that the FAA is going to READ every one of them?
Second question - who among us "believes" that the FAA has any (or has ever had) real intent to solicit suggestions for changes and intends to make changes??
Final question -
I've not been able to find it anywhere - is there a "due date" for the revision/change of the existing Interpretive Rule? and
What do the words of the Interpretive Rule "become"? (some new statute in FARs?, amendments to CURRENT FARs?, something else?)

[Honestly I don't have any ideas about answers to these questions - does anyone out there know?]
I believe tha the FAA is required, by law, to read every comment and respond to them. However, any impact on the inwerpretation will only result from the FAA's commitment to produce an enforceable interpretation of the law. As to when that may happen, I don't know either.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:07 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by DocYates
Looks like the FAA is putting out the word to the control towers to be watchful of RC / drone activity. They intend to seriously pursue this matter or else theyare looking for ammunition for the fight that looms.

Wow. It's one thing to have a local cop or park ranger roll up on ya...it's a whole different story when the DOMESTIC EVENTS NETWORK (DEN) is involved. Don't know what it is, but I know I don't want to find out. Sounds expensive!
Old 07-24-2014, 08:25 AM
DocYates

Well do not fear, according to Poltico there will be a forthcoming declaration from the WH in regards to privacy issues and drones...at least for the "commercial" operator.
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...03.html?hp=l21
Old 07-24-2014, 08:30 AM
r_adical
My Feedback: (19)

Its worth noting the document states unusual or suspicious model aircraft activity, If the ATC knows we are there regularly then us flying normally shouldn't be perceived as suspicious or unusual

Heres hoping cuz you never know with alphabet soup agencies
Old 07-24-2014, 09:08 AM
Bob Pastorello

Well do not fear, according to Poltico there will be a forthcoming declaration from the WH in regards to privacy issues and drones...at least for the "commercial" operator.
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...03.html?hp=l21
"Do not fear" ????????
The Politico article claims intergovernment agency coordination, yet says the Exec. Order will be directed to the Department of COMMERCE?????????

Wow...this is getting crazier by the day. I'll bet ALL of us will be surprised by whatever comes our way...We can ALL rest assured that the FAA won't send FAA admins to visit us....THE goons in boots in black SUVs will come from Homeland Security or FBI....

But we needn't worry - if we follow the CBO guidelines, and FAA interpretive rules, r/c life will be good and just rock on....the 'outlaw rogues' who are free-lancing their operations from unknown locations will end up being fair game "rule violators" that will be ferretted out by our services that protect and serve.

Last edited by Bob Pastorello; 07-24-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:18 AM
DocYates

I should have said "Do Not Fear" using my sarcastic tone....haha
Old 07-24-2014, 09:25 AM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

The AMA has reached an agreement with the FAA to extend the comment period 60 days. The new expiration date for comments is Sept 24, 2014.

Let's keep those comments coming and make good use of the extension period.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...omment-period/
Old 07-24-2014, 09:31 AM
Bob Pastorello

Originally Posted by Thomas B
The AMA has reached an agreement with the FAA to extend the comment period 60 days. The new expiration date for comments is Sept 24, 2014.

Great post, and good news. Wow.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:35 AM
Thomas B

I agree with what you are saying, but it is not applicable here, as we are not commenting on an NPRM. The call for comments is for the FAA letter of interpretation.

Still important to comment on the letter now and when the long awaited NPRM comes out for sUAS, I predict we will all be making a lot of comments then, as well.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:36 AM
Thomas B

Originally Posted by geoardsog5
Trust me RCers. After 34 years in full scale aviation, I can tell you that the NPRM comment process can work, when it comes to stopping regulatory stupidity.Time is running out - go to www. regulations.gov, comment on Docket#FAA-2014-0396.The site works great, it's easy to do.If enough people comment, FAA will have to listen. Deadline is tomorrow at 11:59 PM E.D.T.
I agree with what you are saying, but it is not applicable here, as we are not commenting on an NPRM. The call for comments is for the FAA letter of interpretation.

Still important to comment on the letter now and when the long awaited NPRM comes out for sUAS, I predict we will all be making a lot of comments then, as well.

Last edited by Thomas B; 07-24-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:36 AM
porcia83
Banned

Great post, and good news. Wow.
+1
Old 07-24-2014, 09:48 AM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

Hey Guys,

Just a huge thanks to the more than 1550 who signed the 4-page petition/comment I filed with the FAA several weeks ago. If you haven't signed on, you can read it here:

https://www.change.org/petitions/fed...model-aircraft

As is clearly evident from the lack of discussion in my petition about FPV, I believe it's critical to preserve the core hobby and let rational minds work through the FPV stuff (which straddles the hobby and other areas). I believe trying to defend every aspect of RC simply because it's RC leads to a total loss or at least a significant curtailment of what we do. Most people don't give a rat's behind about our hobby. So if we intend to protect it, we should do it with that in mind. Guys who rant about their right to fly RC need to check that at the door. FPV does present challenges and they need reasonable restrictions.

I strongly urge those making comments to read the petition above and think about what you write. NPR interviewed a law professor that works with the FCC and fielding comments, and the guy said that most comments are rants and are useless. They are IGNORED. If you are going to comment, make it CONSTRUCTIVE. I've read some downright stupid comments from guys in our hobby. The constitution doesn't guarantee your right to fly an Extra 300. By the same token, regulation needs to be smart and not an exercise in paranoid sweeping laws designed to make the FAA's life easier.

I think the BIGGEST weakness in the FAA's interpretation is the artificial distinction between hobby flying and sponsored/test flying when everything else is the same (e.g. line of sight, proper field, proper altitude, etc). That WILL NOT stand up in court. So let's avoid court by getting them to pull it off the table NOW.

I think they have a huge case for regulating FPV aircraft. We are not going to win rights by commenting on that. That puzzle needs engineers, studies, and technology so make the skies compatible for full scale and fpv/drone/amazon deliver quad aircraft.

In the meantime, I'm going to the field...

MK

Last edited by mkranitz; 07-24-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:50 AM
Bob Pastorello

+1
++11
Old 07-24-2014, 10:50 AM
Sport_Pilot

But we needn't worry - if we follow the CBO guidelines, and FAA interpretive rules, r/c life will be good and just rock on....the 'outlaw rogues' who are free-lancing their operations from unknown locations will end up being fair game "rule violators" that will be ferretted out by our services that protect and serve.
If they are going to arrest people for playing with their cool toys, I don't understand how we are protected. At least with what the FAA is saying.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.