Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA Issues "Interpretation of the special rule for model aircraft"

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA Issues "Interpretation of the special rule for model aircraft"

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 10:56 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The constitution doesn't guarantee your right to fly an Extra 300.
Actually it does, with the restriction that the Federal Government can regulate interstate commerse. Anybody doing any interstate commerce with their models?
Old 07-24-2014, 11:33 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

That must be the yet ratified 28th amendment I've heard about.

Doubtful the FAA or govt will arrest anyone, that's usually the local boys, and it's usually because of disturbing the peace, or acting recklessly. The feds will go about punishment the more painful way...legal action and fines. And inter, and intra state commerce isn't out of the question with models. How many companies have tried to copy Amazon?
Old 07-24-2014, 03:33 PM
JohnShe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
If they are going to arrest people for playing with their cool toys, I don't understand how we are protected. At least with what the FAA is saying.
No, they are not going to arrest people for playing with toys. They will arrest the idiots who endanger people and property with their toys.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:41 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Originally Posted by JohnShe
No, they are not going to arrest people for playing with toys. They will arrest the idiots who endanger people and property with their toys.
Best post EVER!!!!
+1
Old 07-24-2014, 03:59 PM
PointMagu
My Feedback: (11)

well said
Old 07-24-2014, 09:04 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Bob Pastorello
Best post EVER!!!!
+1
No. In fact this is probably the worst post ever. I was not talking about sUAV flying amoung full scale aircraft or in any way endangering full scale aircraft. Though at least some of these should be prosecuted by local authorities, the FAA has no business arresting people with their toys that are not endangering full scale aircraft.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:38 AM
porcia83
Banned

So far there is only one person suggesting they would do that.

The claims sound hysterical and bombastic and hyperbolic in nature, just as "going to WAR" against the FAA did. Anyone could dream up a one in a million scenario and claim the 'guvment might do it. Panic driven demagoguery does nobody any good.

Unless I'm missing something, do the suggested changes say anything about the FAA arresting anyone? And when was the first/last time we read about any modeler being in trouble over flying a non multirotor/UAV/SUAV craft. I can't say it's never happened, but I can't recall one.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:48 AM
Sport_Pilot

Actually the FAA cannot arrest anyone. They can only send a fine through the mail and if it is not paid they must get the fine by legal means. For certified pilots it is easy to motivate them to pay, they pull their ticket.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:00 AM
porcia83
Banned

I guess we agree now, but just a post or two before you said this:

"....Though at least some of these should be prosecuted by local authorities, the FAA has no business arresting people with their toys that are not endangering full scale aircraft...."

Old 07-25-2014, 05:57 AM
bradpaul

Default Where you can't fly map

Why is this in a U.K. News site?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ned-skies.html

Last edited by bradpaul; 07-25-2014 at 06:01 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:21 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by porcia83
I guess we agree now, but just a post or two before you said this:

"....Though at least some of these should be prosecuted by local authorities, the FAA has no business arresting people with their toys that are not endangering full scale aircraft...."

I know but I thought of that later. The FAA also shouldn't fine anybody for this.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:31 AM
N410DC

Originally Posted by mkranitz
Hey Guys,

Just a huge thanks to the more than 1550 who signed the 4-page petition/comment I filed with the FAA several weeks ago. If you haven't signed on, you can read it here:

https://www.change.org/petitions/fed...model-aircraft

As is clearly evident from the lack of discussion in my petition about FPV, I believe it's critical to preserve the core hobby and let rational minds work through the FPV stuff (which straddles the hobby and other areas). I believe trying to defend every aspect of RC simply because it's RC leads to a total loss or at least a significant curtailment of what we do. Most people don't give a rat's behind about our hobby. So if we intend to protect it, we should do it with that in mind. Guys who rant about their right to fly RC need to check that at the door. FPV does present challenges and they need reasonable restrictions.

I strongly urge those making comments to read the petition above and think about what you write. NPR interviewed a law professor that works with the FCC and fielding comments, and the guy said that most comments are rants and are useless. They are IGNORED. If you are going to comment, make it CONSTRUCTIVE. I've read some downright stupid comments from guys in our hobby. The constitution doesn't guarantee your right to fly an Extra 300. By the same token, regulation needs to be smart and not an exercise in paranoid sweeping laws designed to make the FAA's life easier.

I think the BIGGEST weakness in the FAA's interpretation is the artificial distinction between hobby flying and sponsored/test flying when everything else is the same (e.g. line of sight, proper field, proper altitude, etc). That WILL NOT stand up in court. So let's avoid court by getting them to pull it off the table NOW.

I think they have a huge case for regulating FPV aircraft. We are not going to win rights by commenting on that. That puzzle needs engineers, studies, and technology so make the skies compatible for full scale and fpv/drone/amazon deliver quad aircraft.

In the meantime, I'm going to the field...

MK
Make that 1,600.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:28 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
No. In fact this is probably the worst post ever. I was not talking about sUAV flying amoung full scale aircraft or in any way endangering full scale aircraft. Though at least some of these should be prosecuted by local authorities, the FAA has no business arresting people with their toys that are not endangering full scale aircraft.
What about endangering your home or your loved ones, if you have any? I think that counts. I was talking about flying toys in ways that endanger anything or anybody.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:36 AM
Bob Pastorello

What about endangering your home or your loved ones, if you have any? I think that counts. I was talking about flying toys in ways that endanger anything or anybody.
BTW - the FAA *is* charged with protection of persons and property from airborne devices.
Right on, again, JohnShe!!!
Old 07-25-2014, 11:32 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by bradpaul

Beautiful map, but I would not rely on its accuracy. The airport issue has never been fully specified. I think that, at least, one of us is of the strongly held opinion that every cow pasture landing strip or hospital helipad counts as an airport. While I am not so sure how many there will be, I do think that the map makers may have underestimated the number of real qualifying airports.

The other issue I have with the map maker and the idiot who wrote the article is the rather casual use of the term drone. It would have been more meaningful if they had differentiated between model aircraft and commercial unmanned aircraft. Because, right now, commercial unmanned aircraft are forbidden everywhere. Although, I will admit, that the FAA is in a bind with their efforts to enforce that ban.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:22 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

If you want to know about airports in the US you can start here: https://www.airnav.com/airports/us and here: http://aeronav.faa.gov/new_afd.asp?e...Date=24JUL2014
Old 07-25-2014, 12:45 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is perfect example of luancy and tempting fate. The local papers are describing plans this fall for the use of a quadcopter drone at a college football game (SEC-think around 88,000 fans). This is just another examploe of the type of things that we should be discouraging. Hopefully no one is hurt, but if someone is injured I hope they find a good lawyer.
http://www.al.com/news/montgomery/in...l#incart_river
Old 07-25-2014, 02:32 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by radfordc
If you want to know about airports in the US you can start here: https://www.airnav.com/airports/us and here: http://aeronav.faa.gov/new_afd.asp?e...Date=24JUL2014
You have missed the point. The problem is not: Where are the airports? We know that. What we don't know is which airports will we be required to notify or make an arrangement with if we are within 5 miles of the airport. Some have already pointed out that there are landing strips all over the place. Many of them are just cow pastures. But some are serious airports with regular use that may need to be notified. So the real question is: Which airport do we need to notify?

I hope that the FAA and the AMA will settle out which ones that chartered clubs need top notify. And once that is determined, I hope the AMA will provide the necessary assistance if it is needed.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:49 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

You have missed the point. The problem is not: Where are the airports? We know that. What we don't know is which airports will we be required to notify or make an arrangement with if we are within 5 miles of the airport. Some have already pointed out that there are landing strips all over the place. Many of them are just cow pastures. But some are serious airports with regular use that may need to be notified. So the real question is: Which airport do we need to notify?

I hope that the FAA and the AMA will settle out which ones that chartered clubs need top notify. And once that is determined, I hope the AMA will provide the necessary assistance if it is needed.
simple: got to Google Earth Find your/any Flying field High lite the Ruler in the upper line click on LINE in the upper left corner of the pop up box change the MAP LENGTH to Miles ... Put the cross hairs on the center of your field left click and draw a line to the nearest airport of interest left click on the center (Usually marked with a small plane) Now read the Miles in the ruler box. If more than 5 miles don't worry, if under 5 well U might have to worry
Old 07-25-2014, 04:05 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by HoundDog
simple: got to Google Earth Find your/any Flying field High lite the Ruler in the upper line click on LINE in the upper left corner of the pop up box change the MAP LENGTH to Miles ... Put the cross hairs on the center of your field left click and draw a line to the nearest airport of interest left click on the center (Usually marked with a small plane) Now read the Miles in the ruler box. If more than 5 miles don't worry, if under 5 well U might have to worry
You still don't get it. GOOGLE earth or any other mapping tool will tell us what we already know. That an airport is there. Big deal, only the FAA can tell us if we have to notify it. Until then, there is nothing to worry about and probably nothing to worry about if we do have to notify it.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:10 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

It's 5 statute miles read the numbers simple
Old 07-25-2014, 05:01 PM
Bob Pastorello

You still don't get it. GOOGLE earth or any other mapping tool will tell us what we already know. That an airport is there. Big deal, only the FAA can tell us if we have to notify it. Until then, there is nothing to worry about and probably nothing to worry about if we do have to notify it.
JohnShe - I am certain I've said the same thing, at least three different ways in earlier posts on this thread and either no one knows the answer, or no one else thinks it's an issue that needs clarification. The current guidance is sure not adequate; "airport operator", "traffic center", or "control tower", when there is NO mention made of the many, many, airports that are "uncontrolled", without air traffic control towers, and whose traffic is not required to communicate with the nearest ATCC. Mainly these are daytime and VFR ops, which coincidentally matches RC traffic times....

I don't know that it's on anyone's radar to answer (either the FAA nor AMA), as they both are likely more concerned (rightfully) with the airports that **DO** have control towers and require ATCC notifications by FS.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:14 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by HoundDog
It's 5 statute miles read the numbers simple
5 statute miles from what? Will it be a cow pasture, a hospital helipad, or a full scale international airport? The FAA hasn't told us what qualifies.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:33 PM
N410DC

5 statute miles from what? Will it be a cow pasture, a hospital helipad, or a full scale international airport? The FAA hasn't told us what qualifies.
This is indeed the point! Our local hospital (like most hospitals) is not listed in the FAA directory or on any FAA chart. However, it has a patch of grass that is designated as a landing area for helicopters. If I fly within 5 miles of the hospital, do I have to get permission from the hospital to fly there? I also know of a privately owned grass strip in Shannon, GA that is on the FAA sectional charts, but is not listed in the aforementioned FAA Digital Airport Facility Directory. If I want to fly within 5 miles of this grass area, do I have to somehow figure out who owns this land, and get their permission? In some areas, the number of private grass strips outnumber the public airports. The Coosa River, which runs 280 miles from Georgia and well into Alabama, apparently allows seaplane operations. Do I need permission to fly a model aircraft within 5 miles of the nearly 600 miles Coosa River coastline? If so, who the heck to I need to call to get this permission?! The FAA has not provided a clear answer to any of these questions.

The current language in the FAA's interpretation is so broad, it could affect nearly every square inch of land in the USA. The need to give a specific operational definition of the word "airport." IMO, this needs to be limited to airports that are open to the public, listed in the AFD, listed on the sectional charts, and actively used by full-scale aircraft.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:29 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by N410DC
The current language in the FAA's interpretation is so broad, it could affect nearly every square inch of land in the USA. The need to give a specific operational definition of the word "airport." IMO, this needs to be limited to airports that are open to the public, listed in the AFD, listed on the sectional charts, and actively used by full-scale aircraft.
It's the interpretation(s) of the interpretation that are boundless.
What did FAA mean by within 3 mi of an airport for the past 30+ years since AC 91-57 was issued?
What in the language of FAA's use of the term 'airport' in their interpretation of the statute established by congress suggests in any way that it has been redefined?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.