Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA Issues "Interpretation of the special rule for model aircraft"

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA Issues "Interpretation of the special rule for model aircraft"

Old 08-07-2014, 01:13 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This CNN feed has a LOT of the "public perception", if you'll scan some of the articles, and read as many of the readers' comments as you can stomach. The level of "noise" and disinformation out there is unbelievable. To even think that the AMA has the PR funding and stroke to influence public perceptions of this issue is the ultimate in naivete.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/07/us/dro...iref=allsearch
Old 08-07-2014, 02:20 PM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by Bob Pastorello
This CNN feed has a LOT of the "public perception", if you'll scan some of the articles, and read as many of the readers' comments as you can stomach. The level of "noise" and disinformation out there is unbelievable. To even think that the AMA has the PR funding and stroke to influence public perceptions of this issue is the ultimate in naivete.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/07/us/dro...iref=allsearch
You got that right..................... mass media loves the scary "drone" stories and it is ironic that the comments are usually from bigger idiots then the idiot "drone" pilot.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Bob Pastorello

Proves without doubt that MANY, MANY idiots like to engage the keyboard before the brain....
Old 08-07-2014, 03:43 PM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Bob Pastorello;11856485]This CNN feed has a LOT of the "public perception", if you'll scan some of the articles, and read as many of the readers' comments as you can stomach. The level of "noise" and disinformation out there is unbelievable. To even think that the AMA has the PR funding and stroke to influence public perceptions of this issue is the ultimate in naivete.

Well, you are right, same thing happens with general aviation... We do not have to many friends among the general population either... "Small airplanes are dangerous..." How many times did we hear that one...

Gerry
Old 08-07-2014, 03:45 PM
GerKonig

[QUOTE=Bob Pastorello;11856485]This CNN feed has a LOT of the "public perception", if you'll scan some of the articles, and read as many of the readers' comments as you can stomach. The level of "noise" and disinformation out there is unbelievable. To even think that the AMA has the PR funding and stroke to influence public perceptions of this issue is the ultimate in naivete.

Well, you are right, same thing happens with general aviation... We do not have too many friends among the general population either... "Small airplanes are dangerous..." How many times did we hear that one... Ah, and they do not like airports in general.

Gerry

Last edited by GerKonig; 08-07-2014 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Typo correction
Old 08-07-2014, 05:02 PM
WI53072

Has anyone hounded their gubment representatives? Seems people should be dogging their congressmen and congresswomen to get them to help us!
Old 08-07-2014, 05:24 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by WI53072
Has anyone hounded their gubment representatives? Seems people should be dogging their congressmen and congresswomen to get them to help us!
Why? Read section 336 of the FAA modernization and reform act of 2012. It clearly frees us from FAA oversight. This fact is recognized by the FAA in their recently published interpretation of the section. We are in the clear. All we have to do is follow the AMA safety guidelines.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:38 PM
Bob Pastorello

Maybe, JohnShe, maybe....
Old 08-07-2014, 08:04 PM
Sport_Pilot

Small airplanes are dangerous..." How many times did we hear that one..
Mostly because they are. Poor engines, poor crash worthiness, and people who are only minimally current with IFR flight. If you fly a small plane for recreation then miles flown doesn't matter much and are more dangerous than a motorcycle.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:12 PM
WI53072

Hey Johnster,

I am glad to hear this! the Feds and their supporters wont need to be hound dogging us on this for awhile!
Old 08-08-2014, 02:34 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Maybe, JohnShe, maybe....
Yep, thanks to AMA, when the FAA agent says "I'm from the FAA and I am here to help" you can believe it now... Oh, btw I've got some beach front property in Arizona for sale...going cheap...
Old 08-08-2014, 04:12 AM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Mostly because they are. Poor engines, poor crash worthiness, and people who are only minimally current with IFR flight. If you fly a small plane for recreation then miles flown doesn't matter much and are more dangerous than a motorcycle.
I think it is a stupid generalization...

Gerry
Old 08-08-2014, 04:42 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by WI53072
Hey Johnster,

I am glad to hear this! the Feds and their supporters wont need to be hound dogging us on this for awhile!
Have they ever? I have been flying for years within 5.5 miles of an airport and have never heard from the FAA. We recently met with the airport authorities and reached an agreement to continue flying under the same circumstances. It was all smiles and no problems.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:28 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Have they ever? I have been flying for years within 5.5 miles of an airport and have never heard from the FAA. We recently met with the airport authorities and reached an agreement to continue flying under the same circumstances. It was all smiles and no problems.
Agree..................

Until my AMA Club sees a cease and desist order from the FAA we will continue to fly as we always have following the AMA Safety Code. As to FPV we have no issues with it as long as it is flown within the rules of AMA Doc. 550. If I personally want to fly a sUAS in my backyard, in the street or at a local park, I will do so once again following the AMA (CBO) rules.

By following the AMA (CBO) rules I am not endangering the "NAS" and especially "navigable" airspace within the NAS as I stay below 400' and am not within 5 miles of a airport.

I do enjoy the debate here, but it does not effect how I fly, or how my AMA Club flies.

Last edited by bradpaul; 08-08-2014 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:04 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Meanwhile, there are guys out there like this punk who are intentionally atagonizing the police, flying in an obvious restricted area, and then plastering it all over the internet for people to see, all the while claiming their "civil rights" are being violated. The only thing that would make this better would have been for the cops to jump the fence and beat down his punk friend who continues to mouth off to the officer who is only doing his job.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGtqVLMGV74#t=1441
Old 08-08-2014, 06:26 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by DocYates
Meanwhile, there are guys out there like this punk who are intentionally atagonizing the police, flying in an obvious restricted area, and then plastering it all over the internet for people to see, all the while claiming their "civil rights" are being violated. The only thing that would make this better would have been for the cops to jump the fence and beat down his punk friend who continues to mouth off to the officer who is only doing his job.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGtqVLMGV74#t=1441
Yep, the police should just beat everyone into submission...
Old 08-08-2014, 06:39 AM
DocYates

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Yep, the police should just beat everyone into submission...
lcs,
You do not see that this guy is trying his best to antagonize the police? The officer made it clear that the Navy is the one who called them to respond. If you go to the website, this guy is making comments about how he wants to follow this cop around documenting things to make him look bad in front of his kids. On top of that his friend continues to mouth off to the police, who in my opinion were very courteous. When the guy refuses to present his ID they could have cited him for that as well, but they didn't. Yet now we have the recently appointed savior of drone technology, a lawyer with a website, who is promoting this kid of behavior and showing it off for everyone to see. Is this the type of thing the AMA should be promoting? Do you think this is the right way to win over the public?
Old 08-08-2014, 06:42 AM
DocYates

Sorry if it offended anyone, but there are some folks out there who really need a good azz whupping.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:55 AM
Bob Pastorello

Originally Posted by DocYates
Sorry if it offended anyone, but there are some folks out there who really need a good azz whupping.
FWIW, I happen to agree. Those who cannot, or do not choose to exercise common sense and courtesy and who choose to remain ignorant of the impacts of their actions **DO** need azz whipping....but ONLY if "someone" has made sure the "rules" are known to them. As I have said many times, and will continue to hawk....the MANUFACTURERS should burden the expense of providing the Rules/Statutes (if and when developed) with the devices they sell under penalty of simply prohibition of sale if they fail to do so.

Some think that will be a pointless exercise, and maybe it would be, but at least the PACKAGING of these devices can contain the information needed to educate the ignorant.

THEN - when violations are found - proceed with due process to the azz whippin'..... either literally or figuratively, matters not a whit to me.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:06 AM
DocYates

Bob, I agree. In this case, this individual is identified in the video as one who just a few weeks ago had done a similar stunt over the LA police station. He has already had at least one brush with the law, and is intentionally out trying to get his "art" highlighted in the MSM and on YouTube. This 42 year old punk will do more to harm those who are out trying to have a good time in this hobby than he will ever do to help. I think the thrid time he causes a ruckus it should require a beatdown....haha
Old 08-08-2014, 07:11 AM
bradpaul

(for those that might be confused....... sarcasm mode on)

Hey let's follow the gun purchase model. I.D. and background check by the hobby shop. Positive acknowledgement of reading the rules for use and a three day wait period. Then we could have "drone shows" along with "gun shows". Of course "private sales" would need to be acounted for. The states could create a license like "conceal carry permits" for "drones in public" use. Yeah that should work........

BTW anybody know of where I can find in stock Sierra Matchking 135 grain in 7mm?

Brad
Old 08-08-2014, 07:17 AM
Bob Pastorello

Okay, Brad, sarcasm noted.....so you don't like my suggestion. How about you post some better (and workable) alternative to "informing and educating" the operator(s) buyer(s) of these things, hmmm??
Old 08-08-2014, 07:24 AM
Sport_Pilot

"Can we just get along?" by RK
Old 08-08-2014, 09:09 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Agree..................

Until my AMA Club sees a cease and desist order from the FAA we will continue to fly as we always have following the AMA Safety Code. As to FPV we have no issues with it as long as it is flown within the rules of AMA Doc. 550. If I personally want to fly a sUAS in my backyard, in the street or at a local park, I will do so once again following the AMA (CBO) rules.

By following the AMA (CBO) rules I am not endangering the "NAS" and especially "navigable" airspace within the NAS as I stay below 400' and am not within 5 miles of a airport.

I do enjoy the debate here, but it does not effect how I fly, or how my AMA Club flies.
Well, don't hold your breath waiting for a cease & desist order, it ain't coming.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:38 AM
bradpaul

Okay, Brad, sarcasm noted.....so you don't like my suggestion. How about you post some better (and workable) alternative to "informing and educating" the operator(s) buyer(s) of these things, hmmm??
Since our public schools teach "feel good" and self esteem building" rather then how to read and do math there is just no hope for "informing and educating" the operator(s) buyer(s) of these things"..... Idiots will be idiots. IMHO the best outcome is the use of large fines and confiscation of those that will not through either ignorance or deliberation don't follow AMA (CBO) rules.

A good example is fishing, here in Florida if you don't follow the rules you can have your fishing gear and even your boat confiscated by the game warden. Ignorance of the regulations is not a mitigating factor. That puts the burden of risk on the ignorant or idiotic and lets those that can follow the AMA safety code and Doc 550 free to enjoy the hobby.

I will take responsibility for my flying and as a Club Officer the flying at my AMA Club. Again IMHO the AMA should stick to educating AMA Members and Clubs and let the youtube morons and commercial sUAS flyers fend for themselves.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.