Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA Issues "Interpretation of the special rule for model aircraft"

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA Issues "Interpretation of the special rule for model aircraft"

Old 08-23-2014, 11:46 AM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ira d
cj, I did learn something from your post that being the AMA would like to insure rc flyers that would like to use their crafts for business. At this point
I am open to the idea since the current AMA insurance is kind of vague on what is covered when performing at airshows and such.

The reason I say the current insurance vague is because I remember seeing a post here on RCU where the question was asked what about
the person that performs at a airshow and receives payment. The AMA response was they could not say for sure and not to rely on the AMA
insurance in such circumstances.
Glad it was helpful to you, Ira. That what these forums are about, modelers learning from each other. I learned something from pulling up that info for you, another item from the same section of the minutes:

"Shortly after the Interpretive Rule came out AMA asked for a meeting with the FAA senior management. R. Hanson, D. Mathewson, B. Brown and M. Rose met with their 10-12 representatives that included Peggy Gilligan the Associate Administrator for Aviation Safety, public information people and the lawyers.................
There was much discussion about why they haven’t moved forward in recognizing AMA as a community based organization. The lawyers said they did not see where they had the authority to do that. Hanson received an email today from Jim Williams about the CBO issue and he seemed to indicate they are going to go back to the Advisory Circular approach, and address CBO in a revision to AC 91 57.
"

Not firsthand from the source, but for a number reasons I really want to believe it.

cj
Old 08-23-2014, 12:30 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This CBO thing I have never totally felt it was a good idea and the reason why is I think the same rules should apply no matter if you are
a member of a certain organization or not. As far this commercial vs hobby thing the emphasis should be where a model is operated
and is it being done safely.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:38 PM
cj_rumley

This CBO thing I have never totally felt it was a good idea and the reason why is I think the same rules should apply no matter if you are
a member of a certain organization or not. As far this commercial vs hobby thing the emphasis should be where a model is operated
Roger that, Ira. We are much in agreement on those points.

cj
Old 08-23-2014, 01:30 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porcia83
Where do you come up with this stuff? The airlines and commercial interest pay their salary? Which ones, specifically, and how much? How is their 401k plan?
I think it started with Howard Hughes. I am not just refering to the tax's and landing fees paid by the airliners and manufactures, but that is a big part of it. GA is almost dead thanks to the FAA.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:11 PM
JohnShe

You do not have to join a CBO. You merely have to follow the safety guidelines. The FAA cannot make you join one no matter what benefits the club offers or does not offer. The CBO concept is an alternate to FAA regulation. Believe me you want a CBO. And you would be smart to support a CBO by joining it, but it is not necessary for you to do so.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:12 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I think it started with Howard Hughes. I am not just refering to the tax's and landing fees paid by the airliners and manufactures, but that is a big part of it. GA is almost dead thanks to the FAA.
Silly question I guess. How would an airport pay for the costs of maintenance and operation without landing fees?

GA looks like it is thriving to me.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:34 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by JohnShe
You do not have to join a CBO. You merely have to follow the safety guidelines. The FAA cannot make you join one no matter what benefits the club offers or does not offer. The CBO concept is an alternate to FAA regulation. Believe me you want a CBO. And you would be smart to support a CBO by joining it, but it is not necessary for you to do so.
John the rules are not finalized yet so neither you or anyone else knows how this CBO thing will play out or if the FAA will want people to join the AMA to be
considered as operating under a CBO.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:36 PM
cj_rumley

Believe me I don't. I want the CBO concept at the bottom of the deepest hole in the country and the earth above it scorched and salted. AMA is making good progress toward that end.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:15 PM
JohnShe

John the rules are not finalized yet so neither you or anyone else knows how this CBO thing will play out or if the FAA will want people to join the AMA to be
considered as operating under a CBO.
Doesn't matter, the FAA absolutely cannot force anyone to join a club. It would violate the first amendment.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:16 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Believe me I don't. I want the CBO concept at the bottom of the deepest hole in the country and the earth above it scorched and salted. AMA is making good progress toward that end.
Well you are right about the AMA. Their association with commercial drones is playing with fire and I expect everybody will get burnt badly.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:17 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

"This CBO thing I have never totally felt it was a good idea and the reason why is I think the same rules should apply no matter if you are
and is it being done safely."

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Roger that, Ira. We are much in agreement on those points.

cj
Makes two of us...well said Ira!
Old 08-23-2014, 06:20 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Why don't all U AMA haters just forget to renew this year. See where that get's U.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:27 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Why don't all U AMA haters just forget to renew this year. See where that get's U.
Why don't all U AMA lovers buy a lifetime membership this year. See where that gets's U

LOL
Old 08-23-2014, 07:03 PM
bradpaul

Default What is a CBO?

According to 20 USCS § 7801(6), the term “community-based organization” means “a public or private nonprofit organization of demonstrated effectiveness that--

(A) is representative of a community or significant segments of a community; and

(B) provides educational or related services to individuals in the community.”

So per 20 USCS § 7801(6), the AMA is a CBO................ I would speculate that as mentioned in a previous post that the FAA lawyers are correct in that they have no statutory authority to approve a CBO. The AMA can self declare itself to be a CBO under US Code and it would be up to the FAA to prove that it is not for the purposes of section 336.

Last edited by bradpaul; 08-23-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:06 PM
ira d

Doesn't matter, the FAA absolutely cannot force anyone to join a club. It would violate the first amendment.
Without getting into the first amendment argument that's a whole discussion of it's own, But the FAA does not have to force anyone to join
anything in that you are right. But what they can do is tell you if you want to fly your models you either join the the AMA or you will have to
jump through a bunch of hoops that most people will not want to or be able to do.

It's just like car insurance the gov tells you if you want drive your car you have to purchase insurance even though they don't regulate
the insurance companies as they should.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:32 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by bradpaul
According to 20 USCS § 7801(6), the term “community-based organization” means “a public or private nonprofit organization of demonstrated effectiveness that--

(A) is representative of a community or significant segments of a community; and

(B) provides educational or related services to individuals in the community.”

So per 20 USCS § 7801(6), the AMA is a CBO................ I would speculate that as mentioned in a previous post that the FAA lawyers are correct in that they have no statutory authority to approve a CBO. The AMA can self declare itself to be a CBO under US Code and it would be up to the FAA to prove that it is not for the purposes of section 336.
The FAA can comply with direction from Congress to them in PL 112-95 with a period, ironically as in AMA's edit of AC 91-57.

"The FAA may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft of aircraft being developed as a model aircraft". period. Simply diss the rest of sentence "..if the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based blah, blah

With that minor edit the rule is as Congress intended for all modelers, CBO 'programmed' or not.

I doubt they are very motivated to create new regulation for model aircraft operators anyway, especially when it would apply to non-CBO acolytes only. PL 112-95 sec. 336 does not require them to.

That's my prognostication of the state of MA regulatory affairs after the dust settles and a lot of money has been transferred to lawyer's pockets.

cj

Last edited by cj_rumley; 08-23-2014 at 09:35 PM. Reason: format glitch
Old 08-24-2014, 10:51 AM
crasher1
My Feedback: (31)

I like the one where the pilot was 38 stories up in Manhattan and had just updated his firmware and it reset the max altitude to 300 feet, allowing him to fly out the window and hover at 300feet, but he couldn't climb back to the 38th story, LOL....Now Can You Hear Me......No Upgrades Allowed....
Old 08-24-2014, 11:44 AM
JohnShe

Without getting into the first amendment argument that's a whole discussion of it's own, But the FAA does not have to force anyone to join
anything in that you are right. But what they can do is tell you if you want to fly your models you either join the the AMA or you will have to
jump through a bunch of hoops that most people will not want to or be able to do.

It's just like car insurance the gov tells you if you want drive your car you have to purchase insurance even though they don't regulate
the insurance companies as they should.
What hoops? There are no restrictions mentioned in 336 or in the FAA interpretation. All you have to do is demonstrate that you followed the safety guidelines of a CBO. And that only if you screw up and get into trouble. Ideally, following the guidelines will avoid any trouble.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:45 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

I think you're right. You don't have to belong to the AMA...just follow the safety guidelines that they publish.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:40 PM
koastrc

Are we fighting in a burning house?
Old 08-24-2014, 05:58 PM
N410DC

Originally Posted by Hossfly
WOW! I do believe that someone made to the fact that AMA has not been the Community Based Organization (CBO) (item # 792 above) that so many have so thought and AMA management so liked for modelers to think AMA WAS such. That much publicized document in Jan. 2014 was simply an "....understanding.. which like any "undertanding" can be gone in minutes. My wife seems to be able to delete any "understanding" within a few minutes!
Now with this new "lawsuit" AMA demonstrates it being in force (partnership, bed, etc.) with the Drone businesses. Do you think FAA will ever be any friend of AMA after this all takes place? IMO, it confirms the needs for some new management on the AMA Executive Council. You AMA members have a choice. Do you have the desire to exercise that choice as much as you have the desire to 2nd guess everything now happening ?
Let's take it one item at a time.

In their interpretation of section 336, the FAA, rather obliquely, recognizes the AMA as a CBO. The FAA has held many talks with the AMA which further indicate that they acknowledge the role of the AMA. If you read section 336 and the FAA interpretation carefully, you will realize that there is no language in the law that requires the FAA to formally recognize the AMA as a CBO.
I do agree that he AMA is a CBO, for all intents and purposes. My point was that the FAA has made no formal recognition, despite numerouis inferences that they do consider the AMA to be a CBO.

Not quite, read the safety code carefully and note the following quote from the safety code.

"Model aircraft pilots will:
(a) Yield the right of way to all human-carrying aircraft.
(b) See and avoid all aircraft and a spotter must be used when appropriate. (AMA Document #540-D.)
(c) Not fly higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator.
(d) Not interfere with operations and traffic patterns at any airport, heliport or seaplane base except where there is a mixed use agreement."

Item (d) clearly expresses the need for agreements with airports.
True, but only when the model aircraft are flying really, really close to the airport. Traffic patterns that would interfere with model aircraft only extend a couple of miles, or less, from the airport (unless the model aircraft field happens to be on or very close to an instrument approach path.) The AMA does not, and never has, required permission from the airport operator for all model aircraft operations within 5 miles of an airport.

The FAA has said that as long as the safety guidelines are acceptable to the FAA and carefully followed there will be no problems.
True, though the FAA's recent interpretation states that several of the AMA 's guidelines are not acceptable.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:33 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by N410DC
I do agree that he AMA is a CBO, for all intents and purposes. My point was that the FAA has made no formal recognition, despite numerouis inferences that they do consider the AMA to be a CBO.

Like I said, there does not appear to be a requirement for formal recognition. And I as I have said, the FAA acknowledges the existence of, at least one, CBO. They specifically allude to AMA policy allowing FPV under certain circumstances with very strict rules.

True, but only when the model aircraft are flying really, really close to the airport. Traffic patterns that would interfere with model aircraft only extend a couple of miles, or less, from the airport (unless the model aircraft field happens to be on or very close to an instrument approach path.) The AMA does not, and never has, required permission from the airport operator for all model aircraft operations within 5 miles of an airport.
Three miles is the rule, it comes from an FAA advisory allowing for model aviation operations. Now it is five miles and the same rule will apply.

True, though the FAA's recent interpretation states that several of the AMA 's guidelines are not acceptable.
"Several" is a dangerous word. I only know of one objection, the FPV rule. Please list the others.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:53 AM
N410DC

Three miles is the rule, it comes from an FAA advisory allowing for model aviation operations. Now it is five miles and the same rule will apply.
AC 91-57 only requires model aircraft pilots to notify the airport operator an/or ATC. It does not require permission from the airport operator or ATC. Under AC 91-57, the airport operator and ATC have no authority issue a blanket ban on model aircraft near an airport. If a model aircraft were to jeopardize the safety of the airspace, they could report the individual incident to the FAA and/or law enforcement, but they could only do so on a case-by-case basis. The FAA's recent interpretation allows any airport operator, or ATC to completely and permanently ban all model aircraft, at all altitudes, within 5 miles of any airport. This includes a lot of land area, especially if you consider the thousands of private airfields out there, plus and all rivers, lakes, ponds, and ocean shorelines that allow seaplane operations. In its interpretation, The FAA far exceeded its own Advisory Circular.

"Several" is a dangerous word. I only know of one objection, the FPV rule. Please list the others.
"Several" was perhaps an inappropriate word. That said, the AMA Safety Code and the FAA's recent interpretation do differ in regards to the aforementioned notification vs. permission issue when flying near airports. Aside from direct discrepancies, the FAA's interpretation prohibits demonstrating aerobatics for compensation or hire, whereas the AMA's safety code does not.

Last edited by N410DC; 08-25-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:45 AM
JohnShe

AC 91-57 only requires model aircraft pilots to notify the airport operator an/or ATC. It does not require permission from the airport operator or ATC. Under AC 91-57, the airport operator and ATC have no authority issue a blanket ban on model aircraft near an airport. If a model aircraft were to jeopardize the safety of the airspace, they could report the individual incident to the FAA and/or law enforcement, but they could only do so on a case-by-case basis. The FAA's recent interpretation allows any airport operator, or ATC to completely and permanently ban all model aircraft, at all altitudes, within 5 miles of any airport. This includes a lot of land area, especially if you consider the thousands of private airfields out there, plus and all rivers, lakes, ponds, and ocean shorelines that allow seaplane operations. In its interpretation, The FAA far exceeded its own Advisory Circular.
Well, you are technically correct. But, if an airport does not want you to operate in their vicinity for any reason, they can and will stop you from operating. Therefore, you need permission. I think that permission is implied by the notification requirement. How else could you know that the right person received the notification and that they are truly aware of your operations?

"Several" was perhaps an inappropriate word. That said, the AMA Safety Code and the FAA's recent interpretation do differ in regards to the aforementioned notification vs. permission issue when flying near airports. Aside from direct discrepancies, the FAA's interpretation prohibits demonstrating aerobatics for compensation or hire, whereas the AMA's safety code does not.
Again, you are technically correct, but only in a narrow hair splitting sense. The concept of commercial operation was not an issue until the FAA modernization act became law. And was therefore not an AMA policy issue either. Now that it is law, commercial becomes and issue. In my own humble opinion, which I have commented on to the FAA, is that the interpretation is too narrow and may inhibit commercial hobby product development, testing and marketing. Therefore it will have a negative impact on my own enjoyment of the hobby.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:59 AM
N410DC

Well, you are technically correct. But, if an airport does not want you to operate in their vicinity for any reason, they can and will stop you from operating. Therefore, you need permission. I think that permission is implied by the notification requirement. How else could you know that the right person received the notification and that they are truly aware of your operations?
I think this is a good point, from a practical standpoint. If an airport operator really wanted to press the issue and ban nearby model aircraft operations, I am sure the FAA would take the airport's side, rather than siding with an AMA club. Granted, this could lead to a legal battle, and there is no way to tell what a Court would ultimately decide. Is anyone aware of any instances where and airport has successfully banned model aircraft operations?

QUOTE=JohnShe;11867681]Again, you are technically correct, but only in a narrow hair splitting sense. The concept of commercial operation was not an issue until the FAA modernization act became law. And was therefore not an AMA policy issue either. Now that it is law, commercial becomes and issue. In my own humble opinion, which I have commented on to the FAA, is that the interpretation is too narrow and may inhibit commercial hobby product development, testing and marketing. Therefore it will have a negative impact on my own enjoyment of the hobby.[/QUOTE]

I agree that the FAA is focusing too hard on the model aviation aircraft industry. I think if they exempt all model aircraft manufactures, their employees, and their sponsored pilots, the AMA may back off a bit regarding the FAA's attempts to ban unlicensed commercial operations. Then again, the AMA is partnering with commercial UAV organizations/companies in the lawsuit that was filed a few days ago, and may want to avoid alienating their fellow plaintiffs.

Last edited by N410DC; 08-25-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.