Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA intentionaly hyping up Drone News. AMA needs to go to WAR!

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA intentionaly hyping up Drone News. AMA needs to go to WAR!

Old 07-17-2014, 06:27 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FAA intentionaly hyping up Drone News. AMA needs to go to WAR!

This is proof that the media, with FAA's help is hyping up sUAV (drone) misshaps.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregorym...stions-linger/

The AMA needs to maybe have a news conference, or at least a news release condeming this practice. Since if actually involves sUAV perhaps cosigned by some sUAV groups. Why are they doing this? I suspect they don't like the fact thay the recent authorization bill gives sUAV a special class that is not as strict as UAV.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:40 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
This is proof that the media, with FAA's help is hyping up sUAV (drone) misshaps.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregorym...stions-linger/

The AMA needs to maybe have a news conference, or at least a news release condeming this practice. Since if actually involves sUAV perhaps cosigned by some sUAV groups. Why are they doing this? I suspect they don't like the fact thay the recent authorization bill gives sUAV a special class that is not as strict as UAV.
That's how it all works...Government agencies, bureaucrats, and organizations make fodder out of everything they can to highlight problems they can "fix" to justify themselves. People are gullible and fall for that recipe over and over again... Problem is, that ultimately divides us all... United we stand...divided...well you get the picture.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:41 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

My take is that a few irresponsible FPV flyers have screwed it up for all of us.

CR
Old 07-17-2014, 11:13 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Charley
My take is that a few irresponsible FPV flyers have screwed it up for all of us.

CR
Not so for that story. So how many others were hyped? Perhaps the police heli in New York?
Old 07-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Not so for that story. So how many others were hyped? Perhaps the police heli in New York?
What, you don't think that quad pilot was irresponsible?

CR
Old 07-17-2014, 04:46 PM
bullseye000

Tower/Heli radio chatter and cell phone video from by bystander indicates that may be the case. It seems a quick judgement was made because these two guys were flying a quad. I wonder if the perception had be different if they were flying a slow stick. It been demonstrated many times that law enforcement isn't always forthright or just.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:12 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Charley
What, you don't think that quad pilot was irresponsible?

CR
Did you not read the article? Or are you talking about the New York incident? I have no idea on that one. Did the quadcopter get too close? Or did the helicopter chase the quadcopter?

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 07-18-2014 at 03:31 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:05 AM
phlpsfrnk

Did you not read the article? Or are you talking about the New York incident? I have no idea on that one. Did the quadcopter get to close? Or did the helicopter chase the quadcopter?
I wonder if you did? The title of your post states the FAA is intentionally doing something and your first post states the article provides "proof". The article itself was aimed at sensationalized drone news stories often not being very accurate; a concept that should surprise no one. The author’s summary at the end states just the opposite of what you are trying to imply.

“There’s more to most of these stories than allegations of near-misses. Different players with different agendas are shaping these stories. Journalists want sensationalism, the FAA wants a path to simple regulations
, anti-drone activists are looking for any angle they can grasp onto to stifle the use of this technology, and drone users want the freedom to build businesses around these aerial robots. The U.S. is already behind other countries in integrating drones into the national airspace, sensational stories increase the risk that we fall further behind.

In fact in your post/title you are guilty of the exact “sensationalism” that he is accusing the media of. There is no "proof" of conspiracy here.

Frank

Last edited by phlpsfrnk; 07-18-2014 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Puctuation
Old 07-18-2014, 03:30 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
I wonder if you did? The title of your post states the FAA is intentionally doing something and your first post states the article provides "proof". The article itself was aimed at sensationalized drone news stories often not being very accurate; a concept that should surprise no one. The author’s summary at the end states just the opposite of what you are trying to imply.

“There’s more to most of these stories than allegations of near-misses. Different players with different agendas are shaping these stories. Journalists want sensationalism, the FAA wants a path to simple regulations
, anti-drone activists are looking for any angle they can grasp onto to stifle the use of this technology, and drone users want the freedom to build businesses around these aerial robots. The U.S. is already behind other countries in integrating drones into the national airspace, sensational stories increase the risk that we fall further behind.

In fact in your post/title you are guilty of the exact “sensationalism” that he is accusing the media of. There is no "proof" of conspiracy here.

Frank

Calm down and reread my post. I said that this was proof that the MEDIA was hyping the information. The FAA is asking the controllers to report incidents and then the FAA is reporting those to the media. I never claimed there was a conspiracy.

And by the wa the simple regulations is a simple ban, nothing complicated about that.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:17 AM
phlpsfrnk

Calm down and reread my post. I said that this was proof that the MEDIA was hyping the information. The FAA is asking the controllers to report incidents and then the FAA is reporting those to the media. I never claimed there was a conspiracy.

And by the wa the simple regulations is a simple ban, nothing complicated about that.
Just so I understand, you are now stating that you do not believe "FAA intentionaly hyping up Drone News" because those are your words that I read.

Nothing is ever as “simple” as it seems. What is being “banned”?

Frank
Old 07-18-2014, 06:27 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
Just so I understand, you are now stating that you do not believe "FAA intentionaly hyping up Drone News" because those are your words that I read.

Nothing is ever as “simple” as it seems. What is being “banned”?

Frank
Can you not read that I said this is PROOF that the media is hyping the news. The FAA is sending them the news stories so yes they are hyping up the news. These are reported by the FAA.to the news. However this is not proof and I never said it was proof that the FAA was hyping. But they are.

sUAV use is banned, or at least they tried to. And they want to keep it that way.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 07-18-2014 at 06:33 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:34 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Sensationalized or not drones excuse me quad copter are rapidly showing up in the wrong places at the wrong time.whether or not you like it it will become an even bigger debate.granted the majority of users are responsible .sadly there are users who push boundaries and make headlines that reflect poorly on the rest of us.my old hometown just ticketed a guy because he claimed he just wanted to capture a new medical arts building that just opened.while his wife was inside he took his quad out of the car and put it in the air thinking he was not doing any harm.he took the video inside to show staff a d several dgot upset as the camera was focused on examniation rooms with patients in them. I do believe he was not trying to be a peeping Tom but the physicians understandably felt privacy was invaded.the felony was reduced to a ticket but it's insight to issues to be resolved as this new age goes on.

for am a i think they are in a crossroads.i think that the two things are unrelated.forever we dealt with aviation now it's expanded to remotely controlled vehicles with a different goal different mission.in then I think am a needs to remove itself from this stuff.let quads and drones set up their own association and lobby .yes I am saying separate .sorry but that's what I think.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:52 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by cloudancer03
Sensationalized or not drones excuse me quad copter are rapidly showing up in the wrong places at the wrong time.whether or not you like it it will become an even bigger debate.granted the majority of users are responsible .sadly there are users who push boundaries and make headlines that reflect poorly on the rest of us.my old hometown just ticketed a guy because he claimed he just wanted to capture a new medical arts building that just opened.while his wife was inside he took his quad out of the car and put it in the air thinking he was not doing any harm.he took the video inside to show staff a d several dgot upset as the camera was focused on examniation rooms with patients in them. I do believe he was not trying to be a peeping Tom but the physicians understandably felt privacy was invaded.the felony was reduced to a ticket but it's insight to issues to be resolved as this new age goes on.

for am a i think they are in a crossroads.i think that the two things are unrelated.forever we dealt with aviation now it's expanded to remotely controlled vehicles with a different goal different mission.in then I think am a needs to remove itself from this stuff.let quads and drones set up their own association and lobby .yes I am saying separate .sorry but that's what I think.
A lot of people are ignorant of the air rights common law. Trespassing laws sometimes mention rights over the land, and sometimes do not, leaving common law to rule which is not written down except in court case decesion documents. There is a need to write this into law in many states. And a campaign to make people aware.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:13 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Read the article and it appears the full scale helicopter pilot is just protecting its' turf by intimidating the drone.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:27 AM
phlpsfrnk

Can you not read that I said this is PROOF that the media is hyping the news. The FAA is sending them the news stories so yes they are hyping up the news. These are reported by the FAA.to the news. However this is not proof and I never said it was proof that the FAA was hyping. But they are.

Okay, have it your way, I did not read anything in that article that stated or implied that the FAA is involved with the media in hyping up drone mishaps’. In my experience the FAA seldom contacts the media about incidents and when asked cite that they are investigating and point to AC 91-57 or some other reg. Your supposition that the FAA is feeding the media is wrong.

Frank
Old 07-18-2014, 09:31 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

This is not PROOF at all. It is different stories from two people reporting their side which is obviously slanted toward their position on drones. Unfortunately for our hobby too many UAV pilots do not accept the most important rule of our hobby exception - YOU CAN'T MAKE MONEY ON IT!
Old 07-18-2014, 09:38 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

dont know about what gobbly gok air rights are .he was on nprivate properyty and with a cam attached taking pics of patients in examination rooms.as a retired hospital ceo if that cam was taking video of my hospital and patients are in the rooms and that go pro exposes them that person is going to be arrested.i realize if that damn thing flies over my house and takes a pic of me not a heck of alot i can do except try to knock it out.i really think privacy rights will be infringed.as for ama step away from this stuff protect our flying fields and our rc hobby flying planes etc. let this movement create its own association its not what purists in rc ever wanted .
Old 07-18-2014, 10:53 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by flycatch
Read the article and it appears the full scale helicopter pilot is just protecting its' turf by intimidating the drone.

That would be illegal.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:56 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rgburrill
This is not PROOF at all. It is different stories from two people reporting their side which is obviously slanted toward their position on drones. Unfortunately for our hobby too many UAV pilots do not accept the most important rule of our hobby exception - YOU CAN'T MAKE MONEY ON IT!
That was a sUAV ann you should be able to make money on it.. It just goes to a different catorgary, not model RC planes. To make money on a viable technoligy is a freedom we should have.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:00 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by cloudancer03
dont know about what gobbly gok air rights are .he was on nprivate properyty and with a cam attached taking pics of patients in examination rooms.as a retired hospital ceo if that cam was taking video of my hospital and patients are in the rooms and that go pro exposes them that person is going to be arrested.i realize if that damn thing flies over my house and takes a pic of me not a heck of alot i can do except try to knock it out.i really think privacy rights will be infringed.as for ama step away from this stuff protect our flying fields and our rc hobby flying planes etc. let this movement create its own association its not what purists in rc ever wanted .
As I recall the article said the hospital had tented windows that the copter could not see through. It is private property, air rights are an extension of property rights. Since people walk into an open building with no signage of any restrictions those property rights are not the same as at your home. For example you cannot ask the police to arrest them for trespassing, unless you have asked that person to leave. That is why he was given a ticket for disturbance, and would probably get off that if he goes to court.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:09 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Here is the proof, should you believe him.

The drone pilot said “My objective was to yield the right of way to him as a full sized aircraft and to get back on the ground as quickly and safely as possible. He made that difficult I would say.”

The media did not report that so it is proof that the media hyped this story. The FAA is helping by soliciting this information of minor incidents and handing it over to the press.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:35 AM
Sport_Pilot

FAA directive is sorta proof.

Why are they using telegraphs? I thought that technology died?
Old 07-18-2014, 08:50 PM
F-16 viperman

Will somebody please enlighten Me and tell me which moment in time did Our toy airplanes become drones and a threat to national security?
Old 07-19-2014, 03:08 AM
dingo9882

That is exactly what I have been wondering this whole time F-16. When did model airplanes become drones.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:10 PM
AlW
My Feedback: (17)

The FAA does not need to hype anything. These FPV idiots are taking care of that all by themselves. All you have to do is look at Utube!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.