Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA intentionaly hyping up Drone News. AMA needs to go to WAR!

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA intentionaly hyping up Drone News. AMA needs to go to WAR!

Old 07-20-2014, 07:36 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlW
The FAA does not need to hype anything. These FPV idiots are taking care of that all by themselves. All you have to do is look at Utube!
I got a great idea...every time we find a video on Utube, that we feel is questionable, let's post them on all the RC forums so we then can make every possible point about the potential dangers.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:31 AM
scottrc

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Kudos on another Forbes article written for the support of our interests.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
I got a great idea...every time we find a video on Utube, that we feel is questionable, let's post them on all the RC forums so we then can make every possible point about the potential dangers.
Okay, here is one. While this FPV video is well done with an exceptional view the pilot violated AMA rules by not having a spotter. If he had a spotter, I think it probably would have met all the guidelines. Watch it to the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8N1Sj5Qshk&sns=fb

Last edited by Dick T.; 07-20-2014 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Fixed Link
Old 07-20-2014, 12:19 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick T.
Okay, here is one. While this FPV video is well done with an exceptional view the pilot violated AMA rules by not having a spotter. If he had a spotter, I think it probably would have met all the guidelines. Watch it to the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8N1Sj5Qshk&sns=fb
I enjoyed the video and there is a place for this type of flying in the hobby, However since this is being done at a place other than a RC site I think the FAA
should come up with some with some rules for FPV operations not performed at RC sites and require permits and insurance.

Last edited by ira d; 07-20-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:38 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ira d
I enjoyed the video and there is a place for this type of flying in the hobby, However since this is being done at a place other than a RC site I think the FAA should come up
with some rules for FPV operations not performed at RC sites and require permits and insurance.
Very good point to agree with. The pilot has other similar videos on YouTube which illustrates he is very comfortable and competent at FPV. However, there needs to be some guidelines and this is why FAA's interpretation is actually spot on, like it or not.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:52 PM
AlW
My Feedback: (17)

Yes - this guy is breaking the rules as most FPV pilots do. If you take a look at the AMA website on the home page you will see this video posted ''FAA Ban on FPV by Flite Test'' Take a look and you will see groups of FPV flyers with goggles and not a spotter in sight. I sent an email to our President asking if anyone at Muncie bothered to look at the stuff that is posted for all the world to see on our website. No response yet. If the AMA can't even control their own website how do they expect to control the FPV crowd who have no interest in living by the rules? All this is why my response to the FAA said that I agree with their decision to get rid of this dangerous activity. VIDEO: FAA Ban On FPV by FliteTestVIDEO: FAA Ban On FPV by FliteTest
Old 07-20-2014, 03:27 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just because you don't see a spotter in the video doesn't mean there wasn't one there. Not that I believe it, just that you cannot prove it from the video.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:37 PM
AlW

If I was going to post a video to convince people that we should condone this part of the RC community then you can bet that there would be NO qestion wherher or not that the activity shown violated the rules.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:41 PM
NorfolkSouthern

If the FAA wants to ban slower, lighter, and smaller FPV foam planes and quad copters, then maybe they should go after the high-speed turbines that can go over 300 mph, too.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:25 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by Dick T.
Very good point to agree with. The pilot has other similar videos on YouTube which illustrates he is very comfortable and competent at FPV. However, there needs to be some guidelines and this is why FAA's interpretation is actually spot on, like it or not.
I really don't think the FAA is spot on I think if you are flying at a RC site they should leave you alone if you are not conflicting with full scale aircraft.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:26 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
If the FAA wants to ban slower, lighter, and smaller FPV foam planes and quad copters, then maybe they should go after the high-speed turbines that can go over 300 mph, too.
The FAA should not be looking to ban any RC models period.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:55 PM
NorfolkSouthern

The FAA should not be looking to ban any RC models period.
And that's the exact point I'm making, including FPV. If they want to go after one, then they might as well go after all of them.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:52 PM
AlW

Look the issue here is endangering the National Air Space. What this means is that models flown by line of sight don't pose an issue because they simply can't be flown high enough to do so. FPV on the other hand can be flown much higher and do pose a safety issue to civil /commercial aviation. The FAA will win here and ban FPV and Congress will agree.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:41 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by AlW
Look the issue here is endangering the National Air Space. What this means is that models flown by line of sight don't pose an issue because they simply can't be flown high enough to do so. FPV on the other hand can be flown much higher and do pose a safety issue to civil /commercial aviation. The FAA will win here and ban FPV and Congress will agree.
People have been flying models over a thousand feet in the air way before FPV was around. OTOH most of the FPV videos I have seen show them at lower levels
like a couple hundred of feet or so
Old 07-20-2014, 11:47 PM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

Originally Posted by AlW
What exactly does the "FAA" win? When you consider who they work for I would say that if they ban FPV they have failed miserably at their job....and if they feel good about it, well ignorance is bliss.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:11 AM
Sport_Pilot

I really don't think the FAA is spot on I think if you are flying at a RC site they should leave you alone if you are not conflicting with full scale aircraft.
Why does the RC site matter? I don't see anything wrong with what he did even without a spotter. If not flying near aircraft, that is.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:45 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"The drone operator claims to have done his best to “keep his unmanned aircraft out of the helicopter’s flight path” but the helicopter “followed his drone.” The drone pilot said “My objective was to yield the right of way to him as a full sized aircraft and to get back on the ground as quickly and safely as possible. He made that difficult I would say.”

"...
what the NBC report left out of the story is the fact that the helicopter pilot runs a company that does aerial photography and video from helicopters — the exact type of company that is threatened by the emergent use of drones for the same task!"

It's pretty obvious what is happening here, I also thought the full scale pilot that reported an RC F-4 at 3,000ft was full of sh*t also, but who is going to listen to us when other hobbyist won't even listen?
Old 07-21-2014, 05:37 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by DISCUS54
What exactly does the "FAA" win? When you consider who they work for I would say that if they ban FPV they have failed miserably at their job....and if they feel good about it, well ignorance is bliss.
Considering who they work for? If they ban all flight except the government and military, Who they work for would be very happy. Ban voting, rights, etc. would also make their boss happy.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:00 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Calm down and reread my post. I said that this was proof that the MEDIA was hyping the information. The FAA is asking the controllers to report incidents and then the FAA is reporting those to the media. I never claimed there was a conspiracy.

And by the wa the simple regulations is a simple ban, nothing complicated about that.
The media hyping stuff is nothing new.
Mike
Old 07-21-2014, 07:17 AM
ira d

Why does the RC site matter? I don't see anything wrong with what he did even without a spotter. If not flying near aircraft, that is.
When not at a RC site you will likely be overflying people and property and to me there is a degree of risk in that. As I said before I think
the FAA should come up with some rules for FPV flying while not a RC site and require a permit and insurance.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:19 AM
DISCUS54

Considering who they work for? If they ban all flight except the government and military, Who they work for would be very happy. Ban voting, rights, etc. would also make their boss happy.
Your probably right. We can only see what actions the FAA takes to tell us what their true agenda is because they have been subversive in their planning and attacks on the FPV models and more broadly LOS models. With an annual budget of over 15 billion of your taxpayer dollars along with a media that is willing to run slanted, spun or otherwise unsubstantiated stories....yes, they will probably get what they want, but I still contend it is in no way a "win" for the citizen of the country.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:20 AM
DISCUS54

That is what happens when Public Service goes into Self Service....the remedy is called Election Day.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:28 AM
Sport_Pilot

When not at a RC site you will likely be overflying people and property and to me there is a degree of risk in that.
For a large model, but most are too small to be any worse than say a football. Besides he managed to stay away from people, he did overfly a highway or road but not when a vehicle was under his drone.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:30 AM
Rob2160

I had to visit the FAA website today to download some airport charts...

Guess what is on the home page…

http://www.faa.gov
Old 07-21-2014, 07:33 AM
bradpaul

When not at a RC site you will likely be overflying people and property and to me there is a degree of risk in that. As I said before I think
the FAA should come up with some rules for FPV flying while not a RC site and require a permit and insurance.
I never thought that we would in this country fall to such a low level of servitude that Americans would advocate that a homeowner would need to apply to the Federal government for a permit to fly a toy airplane in the backyard.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.