Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another "Drone" incident in the news... , mostlikely non AMA member

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another "Drone" incident in the news... , mostlikely non AMA member

Old 09-02-2014, 08:26 AM
Papa51
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd just wonder how this technology hasn't made a big hit with the Papparazi goons yet.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:27 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has the AMA ever enforced with force in the past? I don't think their objective is to assert authority via punitive measures, rather to provide reasonable and safe guidelines.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:29 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by porcia83
Has the AMA ever enforced with force in the past? I don't think their objective is to assert authority via punitive measures, rather to provide reasonable and safe guidelines.
No they haven't...but there are those that truly wish they could...That was my point.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:38 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

the rogues will get dealt with by local authorites.meanwhile there are lawsuits against the FAA and we need more than ever to ensure we are free to enjoy our hobby.for the first time I feel my freedom to build and fly rc planes is truly under threat by the big brother.
It has been my experience that the FPV pilots tend to be rouge by nature, so no rules matter at all. Are you active? At a recent visit to my old field about one in five have at least one FPV at the field and AFIK none are rouge. The rouge one are the ones in the news
Rouge: Makeup, for cheeks (and other parts)
Rogue: A mischievous person, scamp, scoundrel, a dishonest person.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:42 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by eddieC
Rouge: Makeup, for cheeks (and other parts)
Rogue: A mischievous person, scamp, scoundrel, a dishonest person.
Its a shame that if you don't belong to AMA some may equate you to a mischievous person, scamp, scoundrel, a dishonest person...Just saying.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:14 AM
eddieC

Its a shame that if you don't belong to AMA some may equate you to a mischievous person, scamp, scoundrel, a dishonest person...Just saying.
It's gotta be better than being rouge, tho.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:45 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

By rogue, I mean not following any of the rules layed out by the AMA.

Our club welcomes all facets of RC. But not FPV aircraft. I even fly CL out there occasionally.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:36 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
W
well...I think that's the problem for some here...How will AMA have authority to enforce without force??? AMA is working hard on it though... That's what modelers do!!! building a model of FAA is a great project for some now.
LCS, you seem to forget, the AMA does not have to enforce anything. Club members and non club members choose whether or not to obey the rules. For those who chose not to, if they cause damage or get reported by me, they will get into what ever trouble they get into. Meanwhile, those who chose to obey the rules will get to have fun. It's either that simple or that complicated.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:11 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace

Our club welcomes all facets of RC. But not FPV aircraft. I even fly CL out there occasionally.
I hear that control line stuff is dangerous.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:14 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by JohnShe
LCS, you seem to forget, the AMA does not have to enforce anything. Club members and non club members choose whether or not to obey the rules. For those who chose not to, if they cause damage or get reported by me, they will get into what ever trouble they get into. Meanwhile, those who chose to obey the rules will get to have fun. It's either that simple or that complicated.
this reminds me of an episode on the Brady Bunch...
Old 09-02-2014, 12:03 PM
bradpaul

It amazes me that with the knowledge and experience of the posters in this forum that some have never been able to understand that:

FPV is a method of flying a model aircraft and not a type of model aircraft..............
Old 09-02-2014, 12:03 PM
vertical grimmace

To those that do not know what they are doing.

I am not seeing Control line flyers getting arrested on the news. That is the difference.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:08 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by bradpaul
It amazes me that with the knowledge and experience of the posters in this forum that some have never been able to understand that:

FPV is a method of flying a model aircraft and not a type of model aircraft..............
There has never been a lack of understanding here. I personally do not want the hobby that I enjoy, associated with models controlled in that manner. It is a completely different type of flying, that puts line of sight modeling in a bad light. Line of sight modeling could easily lose the right to fly if it get lumped together with FPV. FPV is what is creating the bad press. So, why is it so hard for you to understand that I do not want to be associated with it?
Old 09-02-2014, 12:14 PM
eddieC

Meanwhile, those who chose to obey the rules will get to have fun.
Ah, so that's how it works!

*Knock, knock*
Who's there?
*Gestapo*
Gestapo who?
*I vill ask de qvestions!*

Old 09-02-2014, 12:23 PM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

What about FPV control line?
Old 09-02-2014, 12:32 PM
bradpaul

There has never been a lack of understanding here. I personally do not want the hobby that I enjoy, associated with models controlled in that manner. It is a completely different type of flying, that puts line of sight modeling in a bad light. Line of sight modeling could easily lose the right to fly if it get lumped together with FPV. FPV is what is creating the bad press. So, why is it so hard for you to understand that I do not want to be associated with it?
Line of sight modeling? Do you understand that to fly FPV under AMA rules (Doc #550) that you Must fly Line of Sight?

So other then "you don't like it" what is the issue with flying FPV under AMA rules at an AMA Club?
Old 09-02-2014, 01:43 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Line of sight modeling? Do you understand that to fly FPV under AMA rules (Doc #550) that you Must fly Line of Sight?

So other then "you don't like it" what is the issue with flying FPV under AMA rules at an AMA Club?
Yes, but it does not meet the definition of model aircraft per FAA when the 'view' is via any device that obstructs pilot's eyes being directly on the aircraft, and it is currently in fed statute that FAA is charged with enforcing.

If 'AMA rules trump the fed rules' works for you, then pardon my quibbling........

cj
Old 09-02-2014, 01:53 PM

RC is a completely different kind of flying,
compared to control line flying , that puts
CL in a bad light when RC'ers do stuff like
fly into blimps, full scale aircraft, little girls
in a park, or attempt to turn them into a flying bomb.

Why is it ok for you to be associated with that?
Old 09-02-2014, 01:55 PM
vertical grimmace

We are having problems with FPV pilots going way out of range, and I have yet to see anyone follow the rules the AMA has set forth. These guys show up at our field, fly a mile or so away, with no buddy chord etc. That is why I use the term rogue. This has been our experience in our area. I guess you are the lucky one to not have such irresponsible FPV flyers in your area. We do not, so we set rules to not allow them to fly. Even so, they still show up and try to fly them regardless.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:57 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

FPV is the Justin Beiber of our hobby
Old 09-02-2014, 01:57 PM
vertical grimmace

We are not an FPV club. If you do not like it, go someplace else. I just wish the AMA was not either.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:00 PM
JW0311

Ok, so it is the FPV guys creating all the bad press. I thought it was the drones everyone was up in arms about. I'm still confused about the drones. Those are the quadcopters, right? So if I put a camera on my Super Cub it's not a drone but if fly it using that camera to navigate, then it's FPV. Then I should be put to death for endangering the true and traditional hobby of RC. Then if I fly it anywhere close to another person, I'm a sociopath and should just be put to death. What is the acceptable method of execution in this case? Is it beheading with a metal prop? Or is it being run over by a quadcopter? I'm not an AMA member so is it ok if I like the little quadcopters or should I hate them and shun those who own them and or fly them? Man I'm confused.

James
Old 09-02-2014, 02:07 PM
bradpaul

We are having problems with FPV pilots going way out of range, and I have yet to see anyone follow the rules the AMA has set forth. These guys show up at our field, fly a mile or so away, with no buddy chord etc. That is why I use the term rogue. This has been our experience in our area. I guess you are the lucky one to not have such irresponsible FPV flyers in your area. We do not, so we set rules to not allow them to fly. Even so, they still show up and try to fly them regardless.
does your club have a Safety Officer that actually cares or is it just a blank to fill in on the Club Charter?
Old 09-02-2014, 02:09 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just easier to ban something than try to deal with it.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I guess you know AMA even embraces RC car and model boat enthusiast???
A classless and childish attempt at selective editing and cherry picking only you might lower yourself to in an attempt make some obscure point that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

If you’re going quote someone at least have the intestinal fortitude to quote them in the context of the original post. If your going to highlight all or part of another’s post in bold at least have the integrity to not change the original meaning/intent of the original poster.

This cherry picking of phrases or words from others posts shows the level at which you are willing to stoop in an attempt to bolster your pitiful, narrow point of view.

I would hope you are sharp enough to understand the difference between the words you chose to highlight (embrace a group) and what was actually posted (embrace a group of flyers). Please show me where there was any reference to boats or cars in my post. I fail to see your point except the one on top of your head.

Dennis

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.