Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another "Drone" incident in the news... , mostlikely non AMA member

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another "Drone" incident in the news... , mostlikely non AMA member

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 02:12 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JW0311
Ok, so it is the FPV guys creating all the bad press. I thought it was the drones everyone was up in arms about. I'm still confused about the drones. Those are the quadcopters, right? So if I put a camera on my Super Cub it's not a drone but if fly it using that camera to navigate, then it's FPV. Then I should be put to death for endangering the true and traditional hobby of RC. Then if I fly it anywhere close to another person, I'm a sociopath and should just be put to death. What is the acceptable method of execution in this case? Is it beheading with a metal prop? Or is it being run over by a quadcopter? I'm not an AMA member so is it ok if I like the little quadcopters or should I hate them and shun those who own them and or fly them? Man I'm confused.

James

Going forward, the guilty party will be rammed, repeatedly!

Love the second hit...then the panic in his voice when he realizes he's being followed. Make sure to watch from the start, video starts after the hit for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfLCb4ewDDc#t=47
Old 09-02-2014, 02:14 PM
bradpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Yes, but it does not meet the definition of model aircraft per FAA when the 'view' is via any device that obstructs pilot's eyes being directly on the aircraft, and it is currently in fed statute that FAA is charged with enforcing.

If 'AMA rules trump the fed rules' works for you, then pardon my quibbling........

cj
"charged with enforcing". ?????? I missed the part in the "interpretation" where the FAA gave the AMA enforcement powers.

And thank God that the AMA did not roll over and lick the feet of the FAA and instead appealed the FAA Interpretation in Federal Court. But that might be called quibbling by some here.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:00 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by bradpaul
"charged with enforcing". ?????? I missed the part in the "interpretation" where the FAA gave the AMA enforcement powers.

And thank God that the AMA did not roll over and lick the feet of the FAA and instead appealed the FAA Interpretation in Federal Court. But that might be called quibbling by some here.
Best do some research on that, Brad. FAA didn't give any enforcement power to AMA, never will, and I never said they did. Enforcement is what Fed agencies do. The lawmakers task them to do it, and give them the power to do it.

edit: another quibble....AMA has not appealed the FAA interpretation.

Last edited by cj_rumley; 09-02-2014 at 03:18 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-02-2014, 03:21 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There is definitely some confusion. I do not care what people fly. And I do not want to see quads and FPV banned. But I do not want them at my RC field, as they do not need my RC field. They can fly anywhere. I do not want the AMA to underwrite this activity as it lumps us all together. That is the last I will say about this.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:45 PM
LQUAN
My Feedback: (17)

Most people who fly those multi-rotor don't understand that when set to GPS mode, they cannot fly reliably 100% of the time. For example, if you have ever use a GPS in your vehicle, you know the accuracy of those GPS. Often time, when you're in the middle of nowhere where you need your GPS the most, that's when they don't work right. If there is not at least 3 GPS satellites in sight, you don't get accurate GPS reading. Like this guy who crashed his drone in Yellow Stone, many drone owners, including myself, dreaming of taking breath taking movies of nature. But they forget that making video far in nature using those drones means we're operating in area with the least GPS signal! I had soon abandoned the idea of purchase an expensive drone because of unreliable GPS signal in national parks (middle of nowhere). Plus, now that drones are banned from all national parks. Thank goodness.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:50 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
There is definitely some confusion. I do not care what people fly. And I do not want to see quads and FPV banned. But I do not want them at my RC field, as they do not need my RC field. They can fly anywhere. I do not want the AMA to underwrite this activity as it lumps us all together. That is the last I will say about this.
I guess if you're the owner of your RC Field, you get the make the rules.

If there is any confusion here though, it's due to your conflicting and contradictory comments. Like this:

"....By rogue, I mean not following any of the rules layed out by the AMA. Our club welcomes all facets of RC....."

But then you say:

"....But I do not want them at my RC field, as they do not need my RC field. They can fly anywhere...."

So quads of course are a perfectly acceptable aircraft according to the AMA (rotary aircraft), and your club welcomes all facets of RC. But not really.

And a hearty LOL on the AMA "underwriting this activity".....another generalization that's just not the case.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:13 PM
bradpaul

The good news is no matter how much griping and complaining from the just fly a warbird in the pattern crowd, the AMA has come down firmly on the side of embracing FPV and new technology.

They are fighting the FAA in the courts over the gross over reach in the interpretation of 339, and I am pleased that they are. So keep on moaning and groaning about "new fangled technology", the AMA fully supports FPV.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:49 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

The good news is no matter how much griping and complaining from the just fly a warbird in the pattern crowd, the AMA has come down firmly on the side of embracing FPV and new technology.

They are fighting the FAA in the courts over the gross over reach in the interpretation of 339, and I am pleased that they are. So keep on moaning and groaning about "new fangled technology", the AMA fully supports FPV.
Maybe those that don't like AMA's position about FPV should just burn their membership card... LOL

Just thought it hilarious to say it to the roundy-rounder lock step type for once...
Old 09-03-2014, 02:49 AM
porcia83
Banned

I'm sure all the fellow anti AMA'ers are doubled over in laughter. That sure was a real knee slapper.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:06 AM
TimJ

Well Stated.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:24 PM
batdog
My Feedback: (1)

It wasn't just a Drone it was a "Drone submarine" and these are not banned by the FAA but it probably wasn't an AMA member flying it.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:25 PM
cj_rumley

Nice that AMA 'fully supports FPV' but I'm a pragmatist and want to see results rather than be impressed by the words and/or effort expended. The results so far are anything but encouraging.

Para B.9. of AMA SC, "The pilot of an RC model aircraft shall:
(a) Maintain control during the entire flight, maintaining visual contact without enhancement other than by corrective lenses prescribed for the pilot.
(b)Fly using the assistance of a camera or First-Person View (FPV) only in accordance with the procedures outlined in AMA Document #550.
(c)Fly using the assistance of autopilot or stabilization system only in accordance with the procedures outlined in AMA Document #560.

Sec 336 of PL 112-95 states in para (c)

"Model Aircraft Defined.--In this section, the term ``model aircraft'' means an unmanned
aircraft that is--
(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;
(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and
(3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes

Nothing in either the House or Senate Conference Committee Reports indicates that this definition was added to the bill by them, so I presume it is as originally submitted by AMA's lobbyist in concert with their sponsor in the House.

Highlighted items in both AMA SC B.9.(a) and Sec 336(c)(3) say essentially the same thing, with the SC adding detail "....without enhancement other than by corrective lenses prescribed for the pilot."

Congress of course only saw Sec 336 in the bill they enacted into PL 112-95. FAA's interpretation of what Congress intended is consistent with that language, which is a general ban on operation of model aircraft by FPV, same as item B.9.(a). FAA may have been aware of exceptions/conditions made by AMA to allow it for their followers (AMA SC B.9.(b)), but their responsibility is interpreting what Congress meant in the statute they passed, unbiased by consideration of what they might know/think some third party wanted.

Demonizing FAA for creating this infringement on rights of modelers by first-of-a-kind federal statute/regulation, and a witch hunt for modelers "from the just fly a warbird in the pattern crowd" is misdirected and just plain silly.

AMA didn't get what they wanted because what they asked for was something quite different.

I frankly can't fathom any sensible rationale to explain why this item was included as one of the 5 conditions for exemption from FAA regulation, along with the 55 lb weight limit and 5-mile from airport thing. That ceded any control AMA might have had over these rules, once in AMA SC guidelines, now in federal statute where even FAA can't modify them until another federal law is passed to supersede them.

cj

Last edited by cj_rumley; 09-03-2014 at 05:32 PM. Reason: correction in line one, AMA substituted for FAA
Old 09-03-2014, 11:55 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Nice that AMA 'fully supports FPV' but I'm a pragmatist and want to see results rather than be impressed by the words and/or effort expended. The results so far are anything but encouraging.

Para B.9. of AMA SC, "The pilot of an RC model aircraft shall:
(a) Maintain control during the entire flight, maintaining visual contact without enhancement other than by corrective lenses prescribed for the pilot.
(b)Fly using the assistance of a camera or First-Person View (FPV) only in accordance with the procedures outlined in AMA Document #550.
(c)Fly using the assistance of autopilot or stabilization system only in accordance with the procedures outlined in AMA Document #560.

Sec 336 of PL 112-95 states in para (c)

"Model Aircraft Defined.--In this section, the term ``model aircraft'' means an unmanned
aircraft that is--
(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;
(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and
(3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes

Nothing in either the House or Senate Conference Committee Reports indicates that this definition was added to the bill by them, so I presume it is as originally submitted by AMA's lobbyist in concert with their sponsor in the House.

Highlighted items in both AMA SC B.9.(a) and Sec 336(c)(3) say essentially the same thing, with the SC adding detail "....without enhancement other than by corrective lenses prescribed for the pilot."

Congress of course only saw Sec 336 in the bill they enacted into PL 112-95. FAA's interpretation of what Congress intended is consistent with that language, which is a general ban on operation of model aircraft by FPV, same as item B.9.(a). FAA may have been aware of exceptions/conditions made by AMA to allow it for their followers (AMA SC B.9.(b)), but their responsibility is interpreting what Congress meant in the statute they passed, unbiased by consideration of what they might know/think some third party wanted.

Demonizing FAA for creating this infringement on rights of modelers by first-of-a-kind federal statute/regulation, and a witch hunt for modelers "from the just fly a warbird in the pattern crowd" is misdirected and just plain silly.

AMA didn't get what they wanted because what they asked for was something quite different.

I frankly can't fathom any sensible rationale to explain why this item was included as one of the 5 conditions for exemption from FAA regulation, along with the 55 lb weight limit and 5-mile from airport thing. That ceded any control AMA might have had over these rules, once in AMA SC guidelines, now in federal statute where even FAA can't modify them until another federal law is passed to supersede them.

cj
I think you got it down pat...with one minor interpretational thing... You said "AMA didn't get what they wanted because what they asked for was something quite different." My take; AMA didn't get what they say they wanted because what they asked for was something quite different...
Old 09-04-2014, 07:24 AM
Sport_Pilot

Congress of course only saw Sec 336 in the bill they enacted into PL 112-95. FAA's interpretation of what Congress intended is consistent with that language, which is a general ban on operation of model aircraft by FPV, same as item B.9.(a).
B 9 (a) does not include FPV, FPV is referenced in B- 9(b) which was convieniently ignored. The law uses the term "visual line of sight", that is an imaginarry line from you eye to the object. It does not mean that you can see or even have your eyes open. It is not even a legal term, in fact it is an engineering term others want to redifine.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:01 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
B 9 (a) does not include FPV, FPV is referenced in B- 9(b) which was convieniently ignored. The law uses the term "visual line of sight", that is an imaginarry line from you eye to the object. It does not mean that you can see or even have your eyes open. It is not even a legal term, in fact it is an engineering term others want to redifine.
By golly you're right. Sport! You can thumb your nose at Congress and ignore the invalid public law with alacrity and there's nothing FAA can do to stop you. Thanks for passing that on.

cj
Old 09-04-2014, 07:51 PM
Sport_Pilot

By golly you're right. Sport! You can thumb your nose at Congress and ignore the invalid public law with alacrity and there's nothing FAA can do to stop you. Thanks for passing that on.

cj
The FAA is thumbing their nose at congress, not the AMA. You were the one to conveniently ignore B-9 (b) and redefine "visual line of sight".
Old 09-04-2014, 08:55 PM
cj_rumley

The FAA is thumbing their nose at congress, not the AMA. You were the one to conveniently ignore B-9 (b) and redefine "visual line of sight".
Did I now........

FAA may have been aware of exceptions/conditions made by AMA to allow it for their followers (AMA SC B.9.(b)), but their responsibility is interpreting what Congress meant in the statute they passed, unbiased by consideration of what they might know/think some third party wanted.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Sport_Pilot

Did I now........
If you think the FAA was unbiased, then I do not know how I can convince you otherwise. Just that to me they were far from unbiased.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:40 AM
JohnShe

If you think the FAA was unbiased, then I do not know how I can convince you otherwise. Just that to me they were far from unbiased.
It is impossible to prove lack of bias, but you could demonstrate bias by citing a few examples from their interpretation of section 336. I would be quite interested because I have not seen any bias in their interpretation.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:34 AM
Sport_Pilot

I would be quite interested because I have not seen any bias in their interpretation.
Their FPV interpretation is obviously biased by thier fear that they would be used for terrorist purposes. They and you are trying to redefine "visual line of sight" for one. Never mind it does not mean you can actually see anything. For example your GPS navigator must have "visual line of sight" to a GPS satellite, for example. Can you see the satellite? No you cannot.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:17 AM
bradpaul

Best do some research on that, Brad. FAA didn't give any enforcement power to AMA, never will, and I never said they did. Enforcement is what Fed agencies do. The lawmakers task them to do it, and give them the power to do it.

edit: another quibble....AMA has not appealed the FAA interpretation.
another quibble, (a big quibble) PL-112-95 section 336 did not create any regulations for model aircraft operation. It did create a path to be exempt from FAA regulations and did define "Model Aircraft".

And there is no way today to meet the exemption requirements of section 336.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:17 PM
cj_rumley

another quibble, (a big quibble) PL-112-95 section 336 did not create any regulations for model aircraft operation. It did create a path to be exempt from FAA regulations and did define "Model Aircraft".

Okay, I'll buy that. PL 112-95 is federal law, not FAA regulation. It did create a path, but I expect to be grown over before it ever becomes trodden. Most assuredly it did define model aircraft. There is no way today to meet the exemption requirements of 336, unless FAA accepts that any CBO an individual declares to abide by the standards of (as I did, naming RCU as my preferred CBO). If FAA can't recognize a CBO as qualified, it follows they can't reject any CBO as not qualified.

cj
Old 09-06-2014, 01:16 PM
bradpaul

Okay, I'll buy that. PL 112-95 is federal law, not FAA regulation. It did create a path, but I expect to be grown over before it ever becomes trodden. Most assuredly it did define model aircraft. There is no way today to meet the exemption requirements of 336, unless FAA accepts that any CBO an individual declares to abide by the standards of (as I did, naming RCU as my preferred CBO). If FAA can't recognize a CBO as qualified, it follows they can't reject any CBO as not qualified.

cj
Quite ironic that the FAA created their own "Catch 22" .......................... I agree just self declare to be a CBO. However there is that little detail of "Nationwide". RCU would just need to publish their own "programming" .
Old 09-06-2014, 02:39 PM
cj_rumley

Quite ironic that the FAA created their own "Catch 22" .......................... I agree just self declare to be a CBO. However there is that little detail of "Nationwide". RCU would just need to publish their own "programming" .
Do they have to do that before some authority defines what it means?
Old 09-07-2014, 08:22 AM
Sport_Pilot

Wrong PL 112-95 makes no demands on anybody but the FAA and that is for them to write regulation. The rest are limits of what is in the regulation. The fact they did not require a specific method for ecemptions does not mean the FAA cannot write regulations with such an exemption.

But for today the AMA rules are what we follow there are no regulations covering model aircraft.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.