Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

IMAA Dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 07:51 AM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Stahl
That's what I'm saying. No card, no info, no magazines, no nothing, not even an email telling me of the end of the organization. Really has left a bad taste in my mouth about supporting any other SIG's.
Originally Posted by porcia83
Yes Rick, that's exactly what I'm saying. Not so much as an e-mail. Although, ironically enough, when I looked at my e-mail tonight lo and behold, the first e-mail ever is telling me about the demise of the organization. Oddly enough there was more info about IMAA in that e-mail in terms of explaining who they were and what they wanted to achieve than I had ever seen before.
Well, that goes a long way towards explaining what happened the last few years. Customer servicing of promised benefits is job 1 for an organization like this, and if there was widespread dropping of the ball, that is deadly to it's existence. Shame on the officers for allowing this to occur. Shame on members like me who didn't get involved enough recently to notice and address this.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:53 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

I just checked my email and in my junk folder was the same email sent last night at 9:00PM. Maybe the IMAA didn't take in enough money to cover the costs of the trips to trade shows, events and other perks on top of the magazine for the staff. We former IMAA members do have to say" Thank you!" to Wil Byers for providing us with a years worth of RC Sport Flyer for free because of what has transpired.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:37 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mr. Collins, I have followed your orders, yet I am required to pay through a Credit Card.which I am not going to do because you advertise a Free subscription.

I did enter my current IMAA number in the note-block: IMAA #04598, Chapter 148, good until 11-15-2014. I don't remember exactly when I became an IMAA member, around 1990 +/- while Jetero RC was on their last rented Flying Field before I bought the 100 acres, 1995, that they now own 50 acres of. www.jetero.com

That was another IMAA problem, the fact that IMAA took 2 year subscriptions but usually sent it back with one year on it thus another letter to confirm the 2 year payment.
Had that experience almost every 2 years.
IMAA should have readily accepted longer -- even LIFE -- subscriptions. AMA has my life membership and yet I donate far more $$ each year than dues cost.

Several times I offered to take a posting for SE TX and SW LA position to help out here, but I never received any notice.

So I am very sorry that the officers of IMAA just didn't have the means (not just $$s) to make IMAA a real organization. "HIGH FLIGHT" had certainly become the greatest
magazine in the modeling mag. world as far as I care. HF will definitely be missed.

BYE BYE Now.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:48 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RickVB
All fluff... the questions I want answered are still open, that is what the exact financial situation is that required the immediate termination of the whole organization, and what the details of the wind-down are. My district director declined to answer these, and deferred them to the higher officers. Still have to wonder why they chose to throw in the towel at this precise minute.
Yup...the more I read about this and think about it, something is not right here. An organization like this just doesn't up and end it's existence overnight without something something significant happening. Declining membership is one thing, but that certainly doesn't become a problem overnight. That's tracked, and reactions to that should be planned as that is happening. If memberships is consistently declining, is there still a need for a costly magazine, or can some less costly alternative be considered? I don't know much a fully interactive website would cost, but my understanding is the one that ultimately was used was twice as expensive as originally quoted.

If membership is the lifeblood of an organization such as this, why wasn't this issue brought to their attention? Why is the only notice about these issues brought to our attention when the doors are shutting? That's a huge red flag for me. Wouldn't the smarter move have been to reach out and seek feedback on what was going on, and to ask for feedback, and look for some consensus on how to move forward?

What did the leadership do about decreasing membership, and the increasing costs of website/magazine/operating costs? Can't imagine some of the large scale manf couldn't help out on the magazine/website. Can't believe the membership wouldn't have considered an increase in dues. Did the leadership reach out to AMA for either guidance, or financial assistance. If not, why?

I know the natural inclination is the blame those at the top of the structure, sometimes unfairly. In this case, based on what's happened and the recent news, I think that's where the issue lies. Poor management, and poor communications.

Perhaps we'll see something similar, or perhaps another iteration of this organization some day.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:11 AM
b.bixel
My Feedback: (123)

Angry PFFT... Just my luck!

Dang and I finally joined IMAA this last May.

"...If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. Gloom, despair, and agony on me".

Regards,
Bart
Old 08-19-2014, 10:16 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was a member for only one year, but it irked me that I had to pay another fee on top of the fee's charged to fly at events on top of my club dues on top of my AMA, so I just dropped it. Perhaps now I will go to more events to fly now.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:06 AM
RickVB

Originally Posted by Hossfly
Mr. Collins, I have followed your orders, yet I am required to pay through a Credit Card.which I am not going to do because you advertise a Free subscription.
I just went to the link provided in Taylor's email, entered my info, entered the promotional code that Taylor also provided, selected PayPal for a payment method, and bang, got a screen with "Thank you for subscribing to RC Sport Flyer Magazine!" (no PayPal login or anything). Not sure what you did wrong...

...IMAA should have readily accepted longer -- even LIFE -- subscriptions. AMA has my life membership and yet I donate far more $$ each year than dues cost.
They did, or at least recently they did, as I looked into it. Can't speak to how easy it was to get them to respond to a request for one. Sure glad I procrastinated on that one now...

...Several times I offered to take a posting for SE TX and SW LA position to help out here, but I never received any notice.
Now that, once again, demonstrates a major shortcoming, which would directly contribute to the demise. If you can't even accept offers of volunteers, how can you hope to survive?

"HIGH FLIGHT" had certainly become the greatest
magazine in the modeling mag. world as far as I care. HF will definitely be missed.
Boy, you can say that again...
Old 08-19-2014, 12:15 PM
P38J
My Feedback: (14)

That's Just great, I finally joined just two weeks ago!!!
Old 08-20-2014, 08:13 AM
RickVB

I sure would like to know if any IMAA officers are reading this thread... if you're out there, any comments?
Old 08-20-2014, 08:36 AM
porcia83
Banned

I'm 100% sure it's been read.

Not much can be done about it now.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:47 AM
b.bixel
My Feedback: (123)

The leadership could come ask the membership if we're willing to help them solve the problem(s). It seems that a few have decided to throw in the towel.

Bart
Old 08-20-2014, 09:01 AM
porcia83
Banned

Yup, it doesn't look like any consideration was given to those that supported the organization, rather it was the board that decided to end it. Very troubling, very odd.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:28 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Like the man said follow the money trail.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:29 PM
porcia83
Banned

That would certainly be the first place I would look....
Old 08-21-2014, 09:24 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=RickVB;11863695]I just went to the link provided in Taylor's email, entered my info, entered the promotional code that Taylor also provided, selected PayPal for a payment method, and bang, got a screen with "Thank you for subscribing to RC Sport Flyer Magazine!" (no PayPal login or anything). Not sure what you did wrongQUOTE]

Where are you entering the IMAA-Mems code? I filled out all info plus the code in several locations (Gift and Comments) and it took me to PayPal for a payment of $29.95.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:52 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sent email to RC Sport Flyer for clarification as my entry did not work either. Received the following:
You must:
1. Click the U.S./Canada (digital & hardcopy) radio button
2. Click the U.S./Canada Subscribers price of $29.95
3. Enter the code IMAA-Mems in the Discount Code box
4. Click Apply Discount Code
5. Then fill in the rest of the information
6. Do not put in your credit card information.
Please share this information with other IMAA members.

I originally neglected to 'Apply Discount Code.'

All good now.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:31 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And now Flying Models mag also is dead
Old 08-24-2014, 07:26 PM
RickVB

Originally Posted by tailskid
And now Flying Models mag also is dead
Whoa, Jerry, what makes you think that? Their website doesn't mention anything about it, and it's still accepting subscriptions...

{later edit} OK, never mind, I just read Henry's note on their Facebook page...

Last edited by RickVB; 08-24-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:31 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes Rick it is "history" and they will accept money, but no mag!
Old 08-25-2014, 02:56 AM
porcia83
Banned

Which begs the question, what happens to the money (assuming any is left)? How about those members that joined recently? Who is responsible for the money that may have been left over? Did anyone ever audit the books?
Old 09-10-2014, 01:08 PM
RickVB

Originally Posted by RickVB
I just went to the link provided in Taylor's email, entered my info, entered the promotional code that Taylor also provided, selected PayPal for a payment method, and bang, got a screen with "Thank you for subscribing to RC Sport Flyer Magazine!"
Possibly spoke too soon; no magazines have arrived. Maybe they're waiting until after the last HighFlight issue? (I sure hope I get the last issue...)
Old 09-24-2014, 02:14 PM
RickVB

So the next chapter in this saga began this week. I received my fall HighFlight on Saturday, and to my surprise there was no mention of the demise of the organization other than the "Farewell Issue" blurb on the cover, and the exact same note that Taylor sent out by email originally announcing the end. Additionally, I have never received a reply to my questions about the exact financial status, etc. that I sent to my district director, that he forwarded to all the officers. Seems the officers are all heading for the hills.

Today, I assume some of you like me received an email from a former IMAA VP who made some very detailed and pointed accusations. I am waiting for his permission to post them here, but suffice it to say that if what he says turns out to be true, then all the worst that I feared and others have implied in this thread are accurate. And the (former) officers of the IMAA are forever on my s#!+ list...
Old 09-24-2014, 02:33 PM
porcia83
Banned

I'd prefer to hear from both sides, but I suspect the official explanation is far from complete. Complete incompetence, or malfeasance, or perhaps a bit o' both. What a shame.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:27 PM
RickVB

Originally Posted by porcia83
I'd prefer to hear from both sides, but I suspect the official explanation is far from complete. Complete incompetence, or malfeasance, or perhaps a bit o' both. What a shame.
As you previously said, they have read this thread. They have had their chance to tell their side here. They haven't.

On the other hand, their legal advisors are probably telling them to keep their heads down and keep quiet, so it's hard to blame them from that point of view. I just hope I didn't help pay for that advice...
Old 09-26-2014, 10:15 AM
RickVB

As to the missive by the aforementioned former VP, I somehow missed that he (Dick Russell) had already posted this in a thread here.

Last edited by RickVB; 09-26-2014 at 12:45 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.