Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

IMAA Dead

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 04:01 AM
bradpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Flight may be back.

[TABLE="width: 0, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"][TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"][TABLE="width: 600"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="width: 100%, align: left"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="width: 600, align: left"]
[TR]
[TD][h=1]HighFlight Magzine...[/h][h=3]Starting a Touch and Go![/h]That's right... with the dissolution of the IMAA, HighFlight Magazine was cast adrift. Now, Editor Taylor Collins is working hard to bring back your favorite giant scale RC magazine, as a Digital publication.

With the enthusiastic support of all of our contributing authors, graphic designer, and proof reader, HighFlight is ready to continue publication for years to come. The only thing that we need is YOUR SUPPORT!

This new publication has nothing to do with the IMAA. (The IMAA is legally dissolved and is gone...) So, to raise the operating capital needed to support the new digital magazine, a Kickstarter crowd funding campaign will begin very soon. If you are not familiar with Kickstarter.com, it is a website where creative projects like inventions, films, books ... and magazines... are presented to the public. You can choose a level of "Reward," enter your credit card information, and IF the project reaches the pre-set goal, then your credit card will be charged, the project gets funded, and the creative idea becomes a reality. Since 2009 Kickstarter has launched 70,000 projects.

Everyone reading this message should be very familiar with HighFlight, so there is no point going into too much detail. We believe that HighFlight has been the most informative, most information packed model publication that has been available in the past 30 years. HighFlight has been FULL of great technical articles, product reviews, and trade show and flying event coverage. It is not a lot of shiny fluff and marketing hype. If you'd like more information, please go to our new website at www.highflightmagazine.com

On the website, you'll find a lot more detail about what we are planning, and a video that explains how this process will work. Check out the "FAQ" (Frequently Asked Questions) page, the "Mission Statement" and the "About Kickstarter" pages, and also look at the "Testimonials" page. If you would like to add your comments to the "Testimonials" page, please send an e-mail to [email protected]

If you would like to see HighFlight Magazine continue, please go to the website and learn more about the new Digital HighFlight, and the Kickstarter funding campaign. Since you are reading this message, you are already on our mailing list. There is no need for you to sign up again (in fact, the system will gripe at you, and tell you that you are already on the list). We will notify you by e-mail when the Kickstarter campaign is ready to launch. Simply follow the links that we'll provide to Kickstarter, and sign up for the level of support that fits your needs... We will notify you when the Kickstarter campaign is ready to launch. That should be in about four days!

Thank you for your support! We're looking forward to seeing HighFlight "in the air" once again!

-Taylor Collins
Publisher & Editor[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="width: 600, align: left"]
[TR]
[TD]Copyright © 2014 HighFlight Magazine, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this e-mail because you were a past member of the IMAA, and subscribed to HighFlight Magazine

Our mailing address is:
HighFlight Magazine9140 Guadalupe Trail NW
Albuquerque, NM 87114

Add us to your address book

unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 10-07-2014, 01:59 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be interesting to see how much they raise. These campaigns can be huge flops, or bring in crazy money (as in the guy who got $55,000 to make potato salad). Then there is this:

http://valleywag.gawker.com/kickstar...-the-912176282

or this:

http://valleywag.gawker.com/kickstar...e-m-1641754663

At least those investors were first time investors.

In this case, some potential investors already paid to get the magazine, in both paper and digital form. So far I don't see people saying they got anything.

Still wondering what happened to all that money that was collected to pay for the digital edition, among other things.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:21 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

All I got was the shaft since my dues renewal went in about three weeks prior to the dead letter. Spent a lot of years supporting the organization and many events as a vendor.

Now they want to raise funds for the magazine? Good luck with that as, for me, the whole issue is tainted.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:46 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Dick T.
All I got was the shaft since my dues renewal went in about three weeks prior to the dead letter. Spent a lot of years supporting the organization and many events as a vendor.

Now they want to raise funds for the magazine? Good luck with that as, for me, the whole issue is tainted.
And the kicker is, it's not even a magazine. It's digital. And they want $60,000 to get going? That sounds like an insane amount of money.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That's the norm today for starting a new business...always do it on someone else's money. Then if it never gets off the ground or flops after an issue or two (it has happened before) then it's "oh well" and ride off into the sunset with the remaining booty just like IMAA did.

No thanks.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:40 PM
jimbrock2

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

RickVB: I agree. We are due some real answers. I never heard of an organization that went broke because its magazine ate up all the funds. Normal people would have deep-sixed the magazine long before the crisis stage. I have written to my AMA vice president asking that the AMA look into this and give us some answers. IMAA was a SIG of the AMA, after all. And we need an audit to determine where the money went, whether the funds were properly spent, etc.
JimB
Old 12-12-2014, 11:25 PM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Jim, good luck with that. As far as I know, no one in the IMAA (former) leadership is talking, to anyone. Next year's flyins should be very interesting for these guys. I would like to request that anyone in clubs with any of them comment here honestly on what they have heard. Otherwise, I will be avoiding those clubs' events from now on (and would recommend that everyone else do so). And as I verify who belongs to which clubs, I will be presenting that here.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:22 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by RickVB
Jim, good luck with that. As far as I know, no one in the IMAA (former) leadership is talking, to anyone. Next year's flyins should be very interesting for these guys. I would like to request that anyone in clubs with any of them comment here honestly on what they have heard. Otherwise, I will be avoiding those clubs' events from now on (and would recommend that everyone else do so). And as I verify who belongs to which clubs, I will be presenting that here.
Wait, you're going to avoid a club's event because someone from the old IMAA is going to be there, and want everyone else to as well? And you're going to verify who belongs to which club and then come back here and report that?

For what purpose?

Why would you try to penalize a club for what you feel might be questionable actions of one person? Seems like a completely wrong way of going about something. If you know who the board members were, contact them on your own and ask your questions, but leave clubs out of it. Sounds unnecessarily punitive.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:42 PM
wingstwo
My Feedback: (42)

They got me for $60 too, with not a mention about reimbursement.

Now this guy wants more money - $30 - so we will be allowed to look at
a computer monitor at a private internet magazine that we will be allowed
to print out on our own home printers burning $$ink, paper, time, etc?
What a deal ...

How can we get repaid for the monies the defunct IMAA owes to us?
We are just out of luck? OK - great.

Then don't have the brass to actually ask for yet MORE cash from the
same folks who got stiffed originally.

Last edited by wingstwo; 04-04-2015 at 05:48 PM.