Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Fpv - sig???

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Fpv - sig???

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 07:36 PM
DREAMER-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fpv - sig???

Why hasn't a SIG been formed to carry forth the desires of the FPV community. Most types of flying within AMA are represented by SIG's as they are most knowledgeable about the needs and feelings of the group.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:57 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by DREAMER-RCU
Why hasn't a SIG been formed to carry forth the desires of the FPV community. Most types of flying within AMA are represented by SIG's as they are most knowledgeable about the needs and feelings of the group.
I hope the FPV community eventually forms its own independent organization.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:27 AM
bradpaul

That is a good question, the way it works is that an independent group applies to the AMA for recognition as a SIG. The AMA does not create SIG's. So it is up to the FPV community to organize and if they feel that there is value in being recognized they can apply.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/158.pdf
Old 08-17-2014, 01:39 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm very worried about "our" future due mainly to FPV technology......let's get an organization formed before the big G does it for (and against) us!
Old 08-17-2014, 07:06 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't see a problem with the FPV guys having a their own organization but I don't think that will change what the FAA whats to do. Also the org likely wont
have any regulation power to control the FPV flyers anymore than the AMA has now.

The way I see it it's not FPV as a technology that is the problem but it's people using the technology without using common sense along with what they
are doing.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:02 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ira d
I don't see a problem with the FPV guys having a their own organization but I don't think that will change what the FAA whats to do. Also the org likely wont
have any regulation power to control the FPV flyers anymore than the AMA has now.

The way I see it it's not FPV as a technology that is the problem but it's people using the technology without using common sense along with what they
are doing.
irad, if you are into this FPV group, may I give you a hint. There needs to be some kind of operation among those groups. Maybe You are the person to go with it.

STORY TIME: About a year ago, a nice fellow came to my main club ( www.jetero.com) and wanted to demonstrate a drone to us. WX was rather bad but the show went on. I was fantastically amazed. Ceiling was a guess but I estimate 2000 - 3000 feet AGL overcast. He set the machine to head into the cloud base, but I never asked about the altitude base. Some 15-20 minutes ( I forget what I have posted before) or so, the machine came out of the clouds and sat down right on the spot from which it left.

Now just yesterday, 08-16-2014, Jetero hosted a well attended Wounded Warrior Fly-In. Weather was great, tad warm, fairly breezy, lots of cumulus build-ups. Several times throughout the day, there were one after another Airliners flying right over Jetero's owned 50 acres, east to west. They were well below the bumpy type cumulus cabbage-head build-ups.

Mt first thought was these airliners were - my estimate - of some 6 - 8 miles north of the ILS landing course for Bush International heading a tad south-west to intercept. For several hours These machines were doing the follow-the-leader to landing. So what happens if there was an overcast (many days in Fall & Winter) down to about 2-3000 ft base and some funny-fellow launched his FPV and programs for 6000 ft MSL, and ATC is running airliners a few miles north of the normal route, yet getting down on glide-slope altitudes. I did that stuff for many years. It can be done.

Now irad, you have the opportunity to be true Leader of Men here. Organize a Special Interest Group. FPV being a big thing, you have the opportunity to provide a great service for the hobby-sport that you like. YOU HAVE THE FLOOR, MAN! Fame is but a hand-shake ahead. You can do it!
Old 08-17-2014, 10:21 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I currently don't fly fpv but at some point I may try it. What IMO is really needed is the FAA should come up with some rules for people that fly fpv at places
other than an a rc flying site and the FAA should have these guys to obtain permits to operate.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:11 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ira d
I currently don't fly fpv but at some point I may try it. What IMO is really needed is the FAA should come up with some rules for people that fly fpv at places
other than an a rc flying site and the FAA should have these guys to obtain permits to operate.
ira d, that is a good thought and may be very correct. However as one that for 13 years of 1:1 scale, military,(not counting Reserve military) and then 28 years of 1:1 scale under the FAA, well the FAA folks, IMO, are only interested in covering their own behinders. I had a couple run-ins with FAA people that were of no real consequence, but they tried to make them so.

Now I have my problems with AMA, yet I will much prefer AMA running the aeromodeling conflicts than the FAA. Once the FAA gets congressional approval to "...make permits.." you can bet your rear-ender that FAA will not stop there.

So Far, IMO, the Special Interest Groups (SIGs) are the best way for modelers to keep their specific interests to hold their own lines. As discussion right here brings to light that any SIG can get itself into some real stuff without any help from government or AMA. I would really be in favor for each AMA member to become a member of His-Her favorite activity's Special Interest Group and vote therein. This would go a long way to keeping all the politics much more in reign,
Have you noticed that AMA was supposed to become the "Community Based Organization" for aero-modeling in the USA? While AMA may, at times, claim to be so, there is not yet any Federal Documents making such a Law of the Land, nor have I seen anyone wearing a CROWN designated CBO.

I certainly would like the opportunity to use a few years to get the modeling public to become much more interested in the operation of AMA.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:30 AM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

FPV as it's own Org? Yes that's OK with me as long as all the members are AMA members. I'm going to go out there and guess that the FPV folks you see on YouTube flying way out there are not AMA members.

Crash99
Old 08-26-2014, 11:41 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by crash99
FPV as it's own Org? Yes that's OK with me as long as all the members are AMA members.

Crash99
Why do you feel they need to be AMA members? BTW I was surprised to see you post that...

Is it just beyond any imagination that an organization or flying group could exist without AMA?
Old 08-26-2014, 01:32 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

there be way more than enough of em to have their own org, for sure. and i would feel a LOT better if they were not in any way associated with AMA.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:42 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by crash99
FPV as it's own Org? Yes that's OK with me as long as all the members are AMA members. I'm going to go out there and guess that the FPV folks you see on YouTube flying way out there are not AMA members.

Crash99
You just defined a Special Interest Group (SIG) of the AMA, but the way it works is the AMA members with a special interest are the ones that create the group, not the EC of the AMA.

Frank