Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Question re effectuality of PL 112-95 Sec 336

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Question re effectuality of PL 112-95 Sec 336

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 01:10 PM
bradpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
I think the AMA's only friend in Congress is Senator Inhofe, who has a personal feud with the FAA. Having a "friend" like that was, I think, a big mistake on the AMA's part. They must have known about the dispute. Until section 336 got passed, the AMA and the FAA seemed to be getting along pretty well, at least as far as we outsiders can tell. Since then, the FAA seems to take great delight in sticking it to the AMA.
But would the FAA be able to get away with declaring the AMA is not a "Nationwide Community Based Organization"?

They created their own "Catch 22" when they stated that they did not have the authority to name the AMA as a CBO. Can't have it both ways.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:26 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

My g-d, some of you will come up with the stupidest ways of complaining about following the simple safety rules of the AMA. You brought all this crap down on yourselves, and you hurt the rest of us who do follow the rules with you were "having fun".
Old 09-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
I think the AMA's only friend in Congress is Senator Inhofe, who has a personal feud with the FAA. Having a "friend" like that was, I think, a big mistake on the AMA's part. They must have known about the dispute. Until section 336 got passed, the AMA and the FAA seemed to be getting along pretty well, at least as far as we outsiders can tell. Since then, the FAA seems to take great delight in sticking it to the AMA.
I don't think it fair to say that Senator Inhofe is the AMA's only friend. He would likely not have been able to insert that into the law if others did not agree with him. BTW there was a fight between the FAA and AMA before AC 91-57 was passed. Or maybe just after.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:42 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by bradpaul
But would the FAA be able to get away with declaring the AMA is not a "Nationwide Community Based Organization"?

They created their own "Catch 22" when they stated that they did not have the authority to name the AMA as a CBO. Can't have it both ways.
I don' think they recognize a CBO for ultralights nor regulations over their construction, yet they inspect ultralights. whose rules do you suppose they use as to airworthy construction?

http://www.ultralighthomepage.com/FAR.part103.html
Old 09-07-2014, 10:18 AM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
My g-d, some of you will come up with the stupidest ways of complaining about following the simple safety rules of the AMA. You brought all this crap down on yourselves, and you hurt the rest of us who do follow the rules with you were "having fun".
Thanks for that contribution to the discussion. I started this thread with a question that basically seeks to put some value on joining/following/being programmed by AMA for 'protection' from onerous FAA regulations. I have been thinking about g-d as a possible alternative for comparison to what AMA offers. I'm thinking a plastic Jesus with fastening hardware to attach it to one's RC transmitter would provide comparable protection, and be more cost-effective. If I decide to go to production with this product, I'll be offering an iron clad guarantee: If you ever get busted by an FAA pig, your full purchase price and shipping will be cheerfully refunded. There's nothing to lose, and no annual renewal fee. What do you think about that?
Old 09-15-2014, 08:48 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I don' think they recognize a CBO for ultralights nor regulations over their construction, yet they inspect ultralights. whose rules do you suppose they use as to airworthy construction?

http://www.ultralighthomepage.com/FAR.part103.html

Umm...bit of a bait and switch there Sport. Yes, as in paragraph the FAA can 'inspect it' but inspect it for what:

Sec. 103.3 Inspection requirements. (a) Any person operating an ultralight vehicle under this part shall, upon request, allow the Administrator, or his designee, to inspect the vehicle to determine the applicability of this part. (b) The pilot or operator of an ultralight vehicle must, upon request of the Administrator, furnish satisfactory evidence that the vehicle is subject only to the provisions of this part.
Nothing about airworthiness mentioned at all. Only to see that an aircraft actually complies with Part 103 Sec. 103.1 Applicability. Not airworthiness or construction, just weight and performance limitations.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:14 AM
Sport_Pilot

Ok I missed that. But just the same they allow them to fly in the NSA with only the manufactures rules yet they do not reconize them as a CBO.