Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Fear mongering? AMA members with airman certificates?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Fear mongering? AMA members with airman certificates?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 04:17 PM
gpoore
My Feedback: (45)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently an EMS rotor pilot, I hold an ATP RW and FW PVT SEL

I assure you, if an inspector wanted to warrant a complaint along 91.13 against a rated pilot for reckless or careless UAV/RC/drone operations, he could. And, if you don't think its possible, then operate at will.

I am always leery of the FAA when I am flying RC. While I would never give any credence to it, I wouldn't put it past some FAA inspectors. To most, it is about their power and using it!

Only a matter of time before a rated pilot is made an example of.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if in the future an airmans certificate will be required to operate RC aircraft. Silly I know, but it is coming, at least for commercial ops of drone and UAV. We will see if the AMA has enough grit to protect the hobbyist.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:39 PM
FliteMetal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where were you people when this information needed to be spread through out the AMA club population,
the ones who considered this someone else's job to stand up and fight for. Did everyone here write in and
profess your position on the multiple issues which accompanied the FAA open forum for public response?

I didn't ask to see a posted reply. I merely point to the opportunity for this apparent energy to be placed
where it would do the most good.

None of this has anything to do with previous aviation law precedence. It has everything to do with the UAV
industry's deep pockets to shut us up and push us aside since we do not have the stomach or guts to do
our own due diligence and stand up for our interests.

"The" difference here folks is the FAA is used to their Quisi-legislative position where-in they make and
enforce their own law. In this explicit case they are ignoring legislated due process law without even so
much as a nano-second concern for consequence.

They have pushed back on publishing their position once again. This time its "after" the Fall elections.

I have always been amazed at US R/C pilots referring to the AMA as "they" when it is in fact..."we". As if
there was some group of people who took it upon themselves to represent modelers. A statement of "we
have identified the enemy and they resemble ourselves".

If you think there is something else that should be done I am absolutely sure your elected officers in your
club would like to learn of it to pass on to the people "you" elected to represent you at the District level &
in Muncie at AMA headquarters.

Last edited by FliteMetal; 09-27-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:18 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Come on! How many time do I have to repeat that model airplanes can kill. But especially for a model less than ten pounds the most LIKELY out come is an injury. Which is not even the point. The point is that a model airplane crash, even with a fatality is not a federal case.
i do believe, that, in the 5 instances of a model airplane induced fatality here in the USA, all were aircraft that weighed less than 10 pounds.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:33 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by mongo
i do believe, that, in the 5 instances of a model airplane induced fatality here in the USA, all were aircraft that weighed less than 10 pounds.
And I think it was an AMA member in command every time...or at least all that I can remember were...
Old 09-29-2014, 08:44 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
And I think it was an AMA member in command every time...or at least all that I can remember were...
Don't bite on this people.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:52 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by TimJ
Don't bite on this people.
yea...how dare me! Do ignore... just send in your $58 and be immune with never ending life...LOL
Old 09-29-2014, 10:24 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mongo
Which only proves that a fatality is not very likely. Probably thousands of injuries. But even a few fatalities are not a federal case. States can handle model airplane accidents even if a fatality is involved.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:52 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Which only proves that a fatality is not very likely. Probably thousands of injuries. But even a few fatalities are not a federal case. States can handle model airplane accidents even if a fatality is involved.
Yep but i would feel real bad for the rest of my life if i killed some one even if they did not throw me in jail for it. Geeze ! I know some one who killed someone driving and he fled to another country. He later came back and turned himself in because he could not sleep or eat for the year he was gone. . joe
Old 09-30-2014, 08:20 AM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with what Horrace wrote, except that my certification is my livelihood, I am a responsible operator but if for some reason the FAA wanted to look into my modeling activities and that could jeopardize my ability to feed my family it is a very chilling overreach, but that seems to be the direction everything is going.

Dave
Old 09-30-2014, 11:39 AM
bradpaul

Default From today's ANA Flightline Newsletter

Win a quad copter and help AMA receive a $10,000 grant!

The Academy of Model Aeronautics has been named by the Lightspeed Aviation Foundation as a finalist for a Pilot's Choice Grant. AMA has been selected from hundreds of nominees, to potentially receive a grant of up to $10,000. AMA will use the funds to start a day camp. Online voting is a pivotal part of determining which organizations receive grants and the amounts awarded. Please cast your vote today, and encourage other modelers, your friends, and families to vote as well.

The AMA would like to thank you for your support. To enter for a chance to win an Estes Proto-X Nano Quadcopter, forward a copy of your voter confirmation email from Lightspeed to [email protected]. Voting ends October 31, 2014. A winner will be selected and announced November 3.

Have you voted yet?

Last edited by bradpaul; 09-30-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:04 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Y'all are forgetting the bureaucrats mantra!
If it ain't specifically allowed, it's forbidden!
It's all about "CONTROL".
Old 09-30-2014, 12:24 PM
joebahl

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Win a quad copter and help AMA receive a $10,000 grant!

The Academy of Model Aeronautics has been named by the Lightspeed Aviation Foundation as a finalist for a Pilot's Choice Grant. AMA has been selected from hundreds of nominees, to potentially receive a grant of up to $10,000. AMA will use the funds to start a day camp. Online voting is a pivotal part of determining which organizations receive grants and the amounts awarded. Please cast your vote today, and encourage other modelers, your friends, and families to vote as well.

The AMA would like to thank you for your support. To enter for a chance to win an Estes Proto-X Nano Quadcopter, forward a copy of your voter confirmation email from Lightspeed to [email protected]. Voting ends October 31, 2014. A winner will be selected and announced November 3.

Have you voted yet?

I would like to win it then stomp on it in front of them all. joe
Old 10-16-2014, 10:30 AM
phlpsfrnk

Recently;

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news...s222908-1.html

Frank
Old 10-16-2014, 10:37 AM
r_adical
My Feedback: (19)

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk

And there you have it in writing....

Does the AMA have a clue who they are dealing with?
Old 10-16-2014, 10:45 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks much Mr. frank. There is a lot of just plain good reading in that web-site. OTOH it is scary concerning some really bad judgment displayed here and there from supposedly real pilots. It scares me that so many supposedly real pilots are so lacking in basic "flight-smarts".
Old 10-16-2014, 11:16 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So does this change your mind? Or do you still consider the AMA's suggestion that full-scale pilots could lose their certificates for doing things with models "objectionable" and "fear mongering"?
Old 10-16-2014, 11:20 AM
TimJ

Read the rule first, then answer carefully.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:45 AM
JohnShe

Do something stupid and you get what you deserve. A certified pilot should know better.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:01 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Do something stupid and you get what you deserve. A certified pilot should know better.
I tend to agree. I have been in RC for 36 years and full scale flying for 33.

I am Australian and live in Sydney but my job requires a USA ATP as our aircraft is N registered and flies internationally.

Professional pilots should be held to a higher standard than others. I have no issue with this.

I have just completed a build on a beautiful quad with gimbal and GoPro and spent the last three weekends driving around Sydney looking for a place to film some of our spectacular scenery..

There were many locations that I could have legally flown but when assessing the safety of others in the area common sense stopped me from flying.

Those with aviation experience should set an example for the safe operation of model aircraft and the same applies for any experienced RC pilot.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:45 AM
joebahl

Originally Posted by Rob2160
I tend to agree. I have been in RC for 36 years and full scale flying for 33.

I am Australian and live in Sydney but my job requires a USA ATP as our aircraft is N registered and flies internationally.

Professional pilots should be held to a higher standard than others. I have no issue with this.

I have just completed a build on a beautiful quad with gimbal and GoPro and spent the last three weekends driving around Sydney looking for a place to film some of our spectacular scenery..

There were many locations that I could have legally flown but when assessing the safety of others in the area common sense stopped me from flying.

Those with aviation experience should set an example for the safe operation of model aircraft and the same applies for any experienced RC pilot.
I wish we had more like you flying Quads ,if we did i would not be so anti fpv . joe
Old 10-17-2014, 10:13 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by TimJ
Read the rule first, then answer carefully.
[ATTACH]2040734[/IMG]

Here is the official change order. It is a real page turner.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2150.3B_Chg_6_.pdf (156.0 KB, 49 views)
Old 10-17-2014, 10:31 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by JohnShe
[ATTACH]2040734[/IMG]

Here is the official change order. It is a real page turner.
Yeah the only "fear mongering" was was against the fact that the AMA DID KNOW THAT THE FAA COULD REVOKE A CERTIFICATE FOR A MODEL AIRCRAFT ENDANGERING THE NAS.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:41 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
So does this change your mind? Or do you still consider the AMA's suggestion that full-scale pilots could lose their certificates for doing things with models "objectionable" and "fear mongering"?
Al,
To answer your first question first, No. To answer your second question, Yes, more so than before. Anyone who has had formal ground school training and passed the syllabus (FAA airman knowledge test) knows that the FAA can hold an individual accountable for poor decision making in or out of the cockpit as it concerns their airman certificates. The objectionable statements of post #1 were;
  1. Are you a model aircraft enthusiast?
As a model aircraft enthusiast you are now subject to all the rules and regulations of the National Airspace System, including those intended for full-scale aircraft. (I believe, and the FAA believes that model aircraft have always been subject to the rules and regulation of the NAS.) If you are a private pilot and are cited for a violation while flying a model aircraft, your full-scale license may be jeopardized. (Not sure why this statement is here except to instill fear. As a trained certified pilot if I bust regs full-scale or otherwise I would expect some consequences but I have been trained to expect that.)

The AMA writer did not even understand that there isn’t a Pilot’s license to lose and if he/she had any formal training would have referred to it as an airman certificate. The question goes on to state with no further reference to the full-scale license (sic) the AMA's Viewpoint;

The FAA’s interpretation concludes with the statement that an unknown number of aviation regulations “may apply to model aircraft operations, depending on the particular circumstances of the operation.” I believe this sweeping statement is contrary to Congressional intent in the 2012 statute, in which Congress required the FAA to exempt recreational model aircraft from new aviation regulations and to continue to allow community-based organizations to self-govern the hobby instead. This interpretation negatively affects me because the FAA has not provided guidance on what kind of model aircraft use might now be subject to regulation and possible penalties. This seems unfair.

This along with the other statements in the AMA’s Understanding the FAA's Interpretation of the Rule and How to Comment were so full of half-truths and misdirection’s that I found the whole thing ludicrous.

I would be curious to know if there were any FAA certified pilots involved in the writing of the AMA’s Understanding the FAA's Interpretation of the Rule and How to Comment. Anyone know?

Regards
Frank
Old 10-20-2014, 11:27 AM
JohnShe

Al,
To answer your first question first, No. To answer your second question, Yes, more so than before. Anyone who has had formal ground school training and passed the syllabus (FAA airman knowledge test) knows that the FAA can hold an individual accountable for poor decision making in or out of the cockpit as it concerns their airman certificates. The objectionable statements of post #1 were;
  1. Are you a model aircraft enthusiast?
As a model aircraft enthusiast you are now subject to all the rules and regulations of the National Airspace System, including those intended for full-scale aircraft. (I believe, and the FAA believes that model aircraft have always been subject to the rules and regulation of the NAS.) If you are a private pilot and are cited for a violation while flying a model aircraft, your full-scale license may be jeopardized. (Not sure why this statement is here except to instill fear. As a trained certified pilot if I bust regs full-scale or otherwise I would expect some consequences but I have been trained to expect that.)

The AMA writer did not even understand that there isn’t a Pilot’s license to lose and if he/she had any formal training would have referred to it as an airman certificate. The question goes on to state with no further reference to the full-scale license (sic) the AMA's Viewpoint;

The FAA’s interpretation concludes with the statement that an unknown number of aviation regulations “may apply to model aircraft operations, depending on the particular circumstances of the operation.” I believe this sweeping statement is contrary to Congressional intent in the 2012 statute, in which Congress required the FAA to exempt recreational model aircraft from new aviation regulations and to continue to allow community-based organizations to self-govern the hobby instead. This interpretation negatively affects me because the FAA has not provided guidance on what kind of model aircraft use might now be subject to regulation and possible penalties. This seems unfair.

This along with the other statements in the AMA’s Understanding the FAA's Interpretation of the Rule and How to Comment were so full of half-truths and misdirection’s that I found the whole thing ludicrous.

I would be curious to know if there were any FAA certified pilots involved in the writing of the AMA’s Understanding the FAA's Interpretation of the Rule and How to Comment. Anyone know?

Regards
Frank
I can not help but notice that just about everyone, especially the AMA, keeps misquoting and misinterpreting the FAA's stand on applying regulations in 14CFR91.1 to model aviation. In fact, the exact statement is; (with important words highlighted)

"The FAA could apply several regulations in part 91 when determining whether to take enforcement action against a model aircraft operator for endangering the NAS."

The FAA, rather verbosely describes the two major points throughout the interpretive rule:

First, they describe what "endangering the NAS" means.

Second, the describe which regulations may be applied and why.

I consider the term "endangering the NAS", to be the key words here. If we don't do anything, stupidly or on purpose, that endangers the NAS we will not be subject to FAA regulations. That is also stated frequently and clearly in the interpretive rule. Although the AMA got the intent wrong, it was still a statement of fact that a Pilots certificate was in danger if he did something stupid or malicious.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:07 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Al,

XXXXXX

Regards
Frank
Hello Mr Frank:

Maybe you (we) are being too hard on this AMA. I am beginning to think just how difficult things are for them. They are doing their best especially in duplication.

I, just last week, received my 2ND AMA card for 2015. Very important information each being identical, First line is of course "ACADEMY OF MODEL AERONAUTICS".
Next line is "2015 MEMBER expires 12/31/2099" Now think there, as I am for years been a Life Member they know when I will expire. Hey Man that is nice to know when I should sign my last BLANK check, RIGHT? Look just how long I am going to live! WOW!
Next is my name. This time they even spelled it correctly. NEAT! Off to the side it states L93 Open. Just great all around!
They even list all my "goodie" things:
LIFE MEMBER
LEADER ADMIN
IP INSTRUCTOR
CONTEST DIRECTOR
MUSEUM PATRON

They even sent it out twice, probably they know I do lose things now and then. That is so nice, don't you agree? WOW, another 85 years, much more than this one so far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.