Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Question for Horrace Cain, candidate for AMA Executive VP in 2014 re: AMA and drones

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Question for Horrace Cain, candidate for AMA Executive VP in 2014 re: AMA and drones

Old 10-05-2014, 03:06 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joebahl
I know LCS but i also believe if its not broke dont try and fix it . There was no reason for the AMA to take them in and you know it was for money. I hope we can talk about this same thing in 5 years and see whos minds have changed their thoughts about it ,including me. joe
Fair enough.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:25 PM
Limitless Aero
My Feedback: (17)

Just a question, have you considered in the next 10-15 the number of drones/uav will far out number your "traditional" RC aircraft. Especially circle flyers who seem to be the largest anti-uav/drone segment. Ama is trying to incorporate these flyers to make sure they ARE the largest interest group so they do have a say in Washington and can protect you. I would assume this notion that the AMA could continue to represent a dwindling number of traditional flyers and somehow magically get their say in Washington comes from the idea that in this government everyone gets a say. Well they don't. The largest and most well funded groups are who gets to decided whats going to be supported. You may try to argue that the UAV/drone people will never form their own interest group such as the AMA that would eventually have a great pull in Washington because they are just toys. THAT is a very FOG view. Many of these new UAS/UAV projects are VERY well funded and backed by current aviation giants. IF they AMA does not include these commercial aspects in probably less time then you would think they will be setting the course for legislation for Models/UAV they will get what they want.
Its just something to think about. AMA is not trying to get rid of traditional hobbyist, they are trying to protect them. Because this is how our Government works.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:05 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wkdbuell
Just a question, have you considered in the next 10-15 the number of drones/uav will far out number your "traditional" RC aircraft. Especially circle flyers who seem to be the largest anti-uav/drone segment. Ama is trying to incorporate these flyers to make sure they ARE the largest interest group so they do have a say in Washington and can protect you. I would assume this notion that the AMA could continue to represent a dwindling number of traditional flyers and somehow magically get their say in Washington comes from the idea that in this government everyone gets a say. Well they don't. The largest and most well funded groups are who gets to decided whats going to be supported. You may try to argue that the UAV/drone people will never form their own interest group such as the AMA that would eventually have a great pull in Washington because they are just toys. THAT is a very FOG view. Many of these new UAS/UAV projects are VERY well funded and backed by current aviation giants. IF they AMA does not include these commercial aspects in probably less time then you would think they will be setting the course for legislation for Models/UAV they will get what they want.
Its just something to think about. AMA is not trying to get rid of traditional hobbyist, they are trying to protect them. Because this is how our Government works.
They are trying to keep the nutty FPV flyers from flying in the wrong places and not into a real airplanes engine or windsheild . I have posted some of these guys on U-tube showing how high they are flying and how far they are from them. Its a big game to some of these guys thats bring us unwanted attention .
Old 10-05-2014, 07:09 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There is no statistics to support this wish of yours. Sounds like you have a problem with traditional flying. While I still love Control line, I do fly RC mainly. Is this what you mean by "circle fliers"? You should try CL sometime, you might like it!
Old 10-05-2014, 07:19 PM
joebahl

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
There is no statistics to support this wish of yours. Sounds like you have a problem with traditional flying. While I still love Control line, I do fly RC mainly. Is this what you mean by "circle fliers"? You should try CL sometime, you might like it!
I give you circle flyers all the credit in the world ! I would watch the guys trying to break speed records with them and stunt flyers doing their thing and i was real lucky just t to run a full tank of fuel through mine when i was a kid .joe
Old 10-05-2014, 07:24 PM
socalbudman

Id like to know how many FPV pilot members are in the AMA. With the AMA spending $250k you'd wanna think there was enough to cover that..
Old 10-05-2014, 07:28 PM
joebahl

Good question but we the people who are paying for it will never know . joe
Old 10-05-2014, 07:29 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a question, have you considered in the next 10-15 the number of drones/uav will far out number your "traditional" RC aircraft. Especially circle flyers who seem to be the largest anti-uav/drone segment.
Sorry Sir, I greatly disagree with your hypothesis. Dr. Walt Good and his brother sent the first RC model airplane into the air in 1936. I still fly a replica of the Guff and another one is hanging in the AMA Museum in Muncie, IN. Being unsure of who you call the "circle Flyers". I still think sport RC around the field, Pylon Racers and Control-Line fliers are still plentiful along with free-flighters who have beautifully crafted models that fly nearly straight up then circle beautifully around the sky and more so when they catch a nice thermal. I won many trophies in RC, CL, and FF, but now mostly sport. So before you down the real modelers, please learn where those real modelers still are.

Ama is trying to incorporate these flyers to make sure they ARE the largest interest group so they do have a say in Washington and can protect you.
I don't know about Ama but the current AMA is, in my opinion, very inconsiderate as far as the real modelers are concerned. AMA is now after $$$ and should I do get elected to the AMA EVP position, well you and yours will have a considerable awakening. Modelers come first.

I would assume this notion that the AMA could continue to represent a dwindling number of traditional flyers and somehow magically get their say in Washington comes from the idea that in this government everyone gets a say. Well they don't. The largest and most well funded groups are who gets to decided whats going to be supported. You may try to argue that the UAV/drone people will never form their own interest group such as the AMA that would eventually have a great pull in Washington because they are just toys. THAT is a very FOG view. Many of these new UAS/UAV projects are VERY well funded and backed by current aviation giants. IF they AMA does not include these commercial aspects in probably less time then you would think they will be setting the course for legislation for Models/UAV they will get what they want.
Unfortunately Government does NOT work. Some years ago a not-so-great author wrote a VERY GREAT BOOK. P.J. O'Rourke wrote, "A Parliament of *****s". He went to Washington to learn how government works, but he stated that all he really learned was that Government does NOT work. I won't violate RCU rules any farther but as one that has been a strong AMA person since about 1950 +/- and a CD since 1963 and a Leader since '64, AMA has not worked well since Johnny Clemens was President.
With the significant AMA in-house changes this year could bring, some new DVPs and possibly a fire-breathing EVP, well Sir wkdbuell, with 5 years modeling behind you, you just might see some changes you have not dreamed possible. My sleeves are rolled up and ready to go to work.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:38 PM
joebahl

I like that kinda talk sir ! I was going to not pay my dues this year forthe first time in 40 ,but it might just be fun to watch from the inside one more year. joe
Old 10-05-2014, 07:43 PM
vertical grimmace

To me it is about being able to maintain our flying sites. Our clubs have a lot invested and do not want to lose our fields and ability to fly there.

I am of the opinion that FPV and UAV aircraft do not even need a flying site, in the conventional terms. Hence the reason why the AMA IMO is not as important to that aspect of the hobby as conventional models.

So I ask, Why do the UAV and FPV crowd want or need to be associated with the AMA?
Old 10-05-2014, 07:46 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by joebahl
I give you circle flyers all the credit in the world ! I would watch the guys trying to break speed records with them and stunt flyers doing their thing and i was real lucky just t to run a full tank of fuel through mine when i was a kid .joe

Have you ever seen CL combat? That truly illustrates that it is a dome, not a circle. Those years of combat flying were the most fun I have ever had with a model.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Hossfly

Well, Mr. V.G. I have seen CL Combat and flown it. I did it in high school and for many years since. I have also flown RC Combat. In fact, my Jetero RC Club (www.jetero.com) had an RC Combat event just several weeks ago. Club Pres. is an old dyed-in-the-wool combat flier. CL, RC, and International. In RC Combat there are all kinds of holes, circles, and domes. It was and is a blast. Back in my CL Combat days, the really good fliers kind of walked around all bent over, with their hands dragging muttering "Kill, Kill, Kill, Kill. !
Fortunately I was not so good and did not get to be one of the masters. HA!
Overall folks, I do contribute to AMA and the Museum. I try to think that if I wish to be a partner in this organization, I should contribute a few Yankee Greens. Let's all make this Academy OUR ACADEMY and assure the staff that they work for us! OK?
Old 10-05-2014, 10:54 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
To me it is about being able to maintain our flying sites. Our clubs have a lot invested and do not want to lose our fields and ability to fly there.

I am of the opinion that FPV and UAV aircraft do not even need a flying site, in the conventional terms. Hence the reason why the AMA IMO is not as important to that aspect of the hobby as conventional models.

So I ask, Why do the UAV and FPV crowd want or need to be associated with the AMA?
UAV's for the most point need a place to operate from just like any RC model would, FWIW I don't think UAV's that are not associated with the hobby are not flown
for recreation should operate from AMA chartered sites. I do think that FPV operators need a safe place to operate from and as long as they follow the rules and
don't interfere with full scale have just as much right to fly as any other type of RC craft.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:39 PM
Hossfly

Well, Mr. V.G. I have seen CL Combat and flown it. I did it in high school and for many years since. I have also flown RC Combat. In fact, my Jetero RC Club (www.jetero.com) had an RC Combat event just several weeks ago. Club Pres. is an old dyed-in-the-wool combat flier. CL, RC, and International. In RC Combat there are all kinds of holes, circles, and domes. It was and is a blast. Back in my CL Combat days, the really good fliers kind of walked around all bent over, with their hands dragging muttering "Kill, Kill, Kill, Kill. !
Fortunately I was not so good and did not get to be one of the masters. HA!
Overall folks, I do contribute to AMA and the Museum. I try to think that if I wish to be a partner in this organization, I should contribute a few Yankee Greens. Let's all make this Academy OUR ACADEMY and assure the staff that they work for us! OK?
Old 10-06-2014, 04:31 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Especially circle flyers who seem to be the largest anti-uav/drone segment.

SOoo , Since there seems to be some confusion here as to what this gent means by "circle flyers" , We now have the init4fun "Urban RC Dictionary"

"Circle flyers" is a disdainful term originally used by folks who fly "3D" to describe RC flyers who fly in a defined pattern . Because the 3D guys wanted to hover anywhere the mood struck , and this was usually somewhere in the way of the established pattern , arguments ensued over folks right or need to hover over an active runway . In the verbal nasties that followed , anyone flying an established pattern was dubbed an "uncool , not with it , old fart who flew around in circles and was out to kill the 3Der's fun" , and was thus abbreviated to "Circle Flyer"

PS , This has NOTHING to do with C/L , which those who toss the circle flyer insult around have likely never seen !
Old 10-06-2014, 04:56 AM
bradpaul

Posted this before, but it seems many still don't understand.

Conventional wisdom here on RCU about the lack of growth of AMA membership has been that the best guess is that there are somewhere between 1,000,000 and 2,000,000 people that fly some kind of RC aircraft.

Do the math ............ say the number is 1,500,000 people and being generous there are 150,000 AMA members........ The AMA at best represents 10% of those that fly RC. Now as to AMA Club members, again it has been stated many times that Club members are less than 50% of the AMA membership. Club members are therefore less than 5% of he RC flying population.

All our RC planes are by definition "drones", or to use the government term sUAS. Do you think the large corporate UAV interests, Boeing, Lockheed, Northrup, etc. appreciate all the negative publicity from "recreational RC flyers"? Face it, at the "C" and "E" level they would not cry if recreational RC went away. They have the politicians in there pocket with campaign contributions and we are just insignificant in comparison..

And HC as to a previous post you do yourself no favors by stating that electric flyers should abandon LiPo for Nimah. Do you even have an idea of how many Nimah cells it would take to replace the 5S2P 5000 mah power packs in my 1/4 scale Fokker Dr1?
Old 10-06-2014, 05:17 AM
joebahl

Time to work on building new airplanes so you guys have fun and remember modell airplanes Good and FPVs Bad for our nice hobby . lol joe
Old 10-06-2014, 07:14 AM
Hossfly

Originally Posted by bradpaul

Conventional wisdom here on RCU about the lack of growth of AMA membership has been that the best guess is that there are somewhere between 1,000,000 and 2,000,000 people that fly some kind of RC aircraft.

Do the math ............ say the number is 1,500,000 people and being generous there are 150,000 AMA members........ The AMA at best represents 10% of those that fly RC. Now as to AMA Club members, again it has been stated many times that Club members are less than 50% of the AMA membership. Club members are therefore less than 5% of he RC flying population.
It's all simply just good guessing, Mr. Bradpaul. AMA knows exactly how many club members and AMA members that they have, from day to day. Will AMA tell you? Darned if I know. If I win the election, by March of 2015 such information will be readily available.
As far as the number of actual folks out there playing with any kind of flying toy air machine, that is anyone's guess. Way back in the '70s when I owned a Hobby Shop in Mt. Prospect, IL, right on Northwest Highway, I estimated that if 1 out of every 50 kits that went out of the store (not much in way of ARFs back then) made it to a local flying field, the fields would be over-run with models. They were not over-run!

All our RC planes are by definition "drones", or to use the government term sUAS. Do you think the large corporate UAV interests, Boeing, Lockheed, Northrup, etc. appreciate all the negative publicity from "recreational RC flyers"? Face it, at the "C" and "E" level they would not cry if recreational RC went away. They have the politicians in there pocket with campaign contributions and we are just insignificant in comparison..

And HC as to a previous post you do yourself no favors by stating that electric flyers should abandon LiPo for Nimah. Do you even have an idea of how many Nimah cells it would take to replace the 5S2P 5000 mah power packs in my 1/4 scale Fokker Dr1?
Excellent point there bradpaul. Thank you. OTOH, I must admit that I do not fly electric powered models except for some very small foamies in my back yard. I fly gas burners and nitro powered machines at the local flying field, www.jetero.com , and at fields where AMA sanctioned events are in progress.

As far as as "circle fliers" is concerned, thanks to init4fun for setting me straight there. I do visit "Stunt Hanger" now and then. Those CL fliers get the same attention from me as do the RC folks. I still love to do CL "circles". I find many "modelers" that have no clue as to CL flying. Rather sad as a muffled .15-.45 model that one can fly in a school yard and do all kinds of circles, up down and around can teach a youngster a lot about aerodynamics.
IMO, it is very sad that so many folks think that CL flying is below their position in life. There are many craftsmen in the CL fraternity, and that is sad for the youngsters that never have a chance to learn craftsmanship.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:35 AM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by init4fun
SOoo , Since there seems to be some confusion here as to what this gent means by "circle flyers" , We now have the init4fun "Urban RC Dictionary"

"Circle flyers" is a disdainful term originally used by folks who fly "3D" to describe RC flyers who fly in a defined pattern . Because the 3D guys wanted to hover anywhere the mood struck , and this was usually somewhere in the way of the established pattern , arguments ensued over folks right or need to hover over an active runway . In the verbal nasties that followed , anyone flying an established pattern was dubbed an "uncool , not with it , old fart who flew around in circles and was out to kill the 3Der's fun" , and was thus abbreviated to "Circle Flyer"

PS , This has NOTHING to do with C/L , which those who toss the circle flyer insult around have likely never seen !
The "Circle fliers" comment was clear to me as a weak attempt at an insult. I figured I would counter by getting a little more specific, and testing the true ignorance of the poster.
I have seen this term used in other threads, and it seems to have been adopted by the FPV, UAV crowd, to separate themselves from the "Old farts" who are stuck in the stone age.
FPV and UAV is not allowed at my club, mainly because they do not need our runway. I hope a separation will be created, by the AMA not underwriting such activity.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:47 AM
Limitless Aero

I am glad one person gets it. The smaller AMA gets the less power they will have to protect anything. The government works, just not the way you would like it to. The most well funded interest groups have the most say when something is not called for by the majority of the public. Just as bradpaul says boeing,lockheed, northrup, etc will get what they want. IF AMA can find a way to become a part of this, such as training drone pilots or under writing smaller commercial operations then they will have a much better stance and influence in the long run.

Originally Posted by bradpaul

Old 10-06-2014, 07:56 AM
Limitless Aero

Its only an insult if you feel like you fit the definition of circle flyer.
For me a circle flyer is a type of flyer who spends most of the day at the field complaining about one thing or another and talking about "the good old days"
They are very resistant to any type of change and fear anything outside of their chosen style of flyer. They also spend a large majority of the time talking about how dangerous some of style of flying is. Even though they crash more then anyone at the field usually because of a mix of poor electronics set ups, overweight builds, or general pilot error and lack of understanding of how to actually fly a plane. They also enjoy above all else making and enforcing rules.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:53 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Witch of these clubs do U fly at?
[TABLE]
[TR="bgcolor: #F7F6F3"]
[TD]LONE STAR RC INC
Flying Site Details
17.05 miles [/TD]
[TD] 3279 [/TD]
[TD] 20 [/TD]
[TD] MICHAEL KELSO
Email Contact [/TD]
[TD] Phone: 281/359-3260
[/TD]
[TD] 8 [/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="bgcolor: White"]
[TD] TRI-COUNTY BARNSTORMERS
21.10 miles [/TD]
[TD] 1605 [/TD]
[TD] 161 [/TD]
[TD] SAMUEL BARRETT
Email Contact [/TD]
[TD] Phone: 281.292.1755
Visit Website
[/TD]
[TD] 8 [/TD]
[TD] Yes [/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] JETERO RC CLUB INC
21.76 miles [/TD]
[TD] 1218 [/TD]
[TD] 124 [/TD]
[TD] BARNEY MCILVAINE
Email Contact [/TD]
[TD] Phone: 281-360-4960
Visit Website
[/TD]
[TD] 8 [/TD]
[TD] Yes [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="bgcolor: White"]
[TD] SPRING AREA RADIO KONTROL SOC SPARKS
Flying Site Details
21.86 miles [/TD]
[TD] 2236 [/TD]
[TD] 81 [/TD]
[TD] PAM GABEL
Email Contact [/TD]
[TD] Phone: 713.594.9741
Visit Website
[/TD]
[TD] 8 [/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD] HOUSTON SPORT FLYERS
Flying Site Details
22.53 miles [/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 10-06-2014, 09:19 AM
vertical grimmace

Like I said, a weak attempt. To me circle flying is CL.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:34 AM
acerc

To me circle flying is doing torque rolls, center of the runway, five feet off the ground.
"Go Bro or Go Home"!! ROTFLMAO!!!
Old 10-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Limitless Aero

How does that make it a weak attempt? Control line is not rc. I was describing a subgroup of rc flyers. I think someone is mad because that describes a day at the field for them. I prefer not to limit myself to one type of flying and enjoy all types, as well as all type of aircraft. It's why I came into this hobby. To fly rc. Try to remember why you did.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.