Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

a sticky wicket, indeed

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

a sticky wicket, indeed

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 04:44 PM
JohnShe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
I didn't miss it. It's not relevant. Of course you couldn't have had your last medical suspended or revoked unless you had one, and you couldn't have been denied the last time you tried to get a medical if you never tried to get one. So it doesn't change "everything." Quite the contrary: It changes nothing. Nobody has ever claimed that you have to have a medical to get a sport pilot certificate. But if (there's your magic word again) your last medical was suspennded or revoked, or you were denied one the last time you applied, you can't become a sport pilot with just a driver's license.

Before making snide remarks, it would be a good idea to see whether you are right. Are you still seriously maintaining that these requirements about not having your last medical revoked, etc., apply to people who want to use a current medical to qualify? That would be crazy.
It says very clearly, in red letters (I hope you aren't color blind); "A Medical or U.S. Driver’s License". Case closed.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:44 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by tailskid
You speak like a person in authority or in charge....by any chance are you in any way connected to the FAA or other government department.....if so, NOW I'M HAPPY!!!!
Nope, I just know how to read.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

t says very clearly, in red letters (I hope you aren't color blind); "A Medical or U.S. Driver’s License". Case closed.
I know that: But you claimed that the requirements about not having had your medical suspended or revoked and not having failed your last medical applied to people who were using a medical, rather than a driver's license. That isn't true. It isn't true for two reasons. First, that's what the brochure (which just restates the law) says, as plainly as English can be written, and the fact that some of the sentences use the word "if" doesn't change that. Second, it would be ridiculous to say that people with a current medical can't use that medical if it was suspended or revoked or if they didn't get it. Those people don't have a current medical, so why would we need additional rules to prevent them from using a medical that they don't have to get a sport pilot certificate?

I made a mistake in one of my earlier posts, and I admitted it. Are you really committed to the idea that the rules about medicals being revoked, etc. don't apply to people who are using a drivers license instead of a medical, or are you just desperately trying to conceal the fact that what you said was wrong?

Last edited by Top_Gunn; 10-12-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:11 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

comprehension appears to be the problem<G>...
Old 10-12-2014, 05:53 PM
JohnShe

I know that: But you claimed that the requirements about not having had your medical suspended or revoked and not having failed your last medical applied to people who were using a medical, rather than a driver's license. That isn't true. It isn't true for two reasons. First, that's what the brochure (which just restates the law) says, as plainly as English can be written, and the fact that some of the sentences use the word "if" doesn't change that. Second, it would be ridiculous to say that people with a current medical can't use that medical if it was suspended or revoked or if they didn't get it. Those people don't have a current medical, so why would we need additional rules to prevent them from using a medical that they don't have to get a sport pilot certificate?

I made a mistake in one of my earlier posts, and I admitted it. Are you really committed to the idea that the rules about medicals being revoked, etc. don't apply to people who are using a drivers license instead of a medical, or are you just desperately trying to conceal the fact that what you said was wrong?
Well, you are reading far more complexity into the sport pilot requirements that anybody else. The EAA believes the same thing that I believe.

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-...-a-sport-pilot

And they ought to know, that is their business, selling recreational full scale aviation to the masses.

Here is what they are selling at the EAA:

[h=1]Become a Sport Pilot[/h] If you are an aviation enthusiast seeking your first pilot certificate, the sport pilot certificate provides one of the easiest and most inexpensive ways to fly for fun and recreation. You can think of it as a sort of middle-ground between becoming an ultralight pilot and a full-fledged private pilot.

Here is the key medical step to earning your ticket as the EAA understands it:

1. Hold a current and valid U.S. driver’s license as evidence of medical eligibility (provided the FAA didn’t deny, revoke, or suspend your last medical certificate application). Alternatively, you can also use a third class airman’s medical to establish medical fitness.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:09 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is the key medical step to earning your ticket as the EAA understands it:

1. Hold a current and valid U.S. driver’s license as evidence of medical eligibility (provided the FAA didn’t deny, revoke, or suspend your last medical certificate application). Alternatively, you can also use a third class airman’s medical to establish medical fitness.
That is exactly the way I understand it. It's what I have been trying to explain to you in these posts. And it is exactly the opposite of what you have been saying, which is that the provisions about the FAA not denying or revoking a medical refer "only to those who are using medical certification because they don't have a valid drivers license." (Post no. 15) Congratulations.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:30 PM
JohnShe

That is exactly the way I understand it. It's what I have been trying to explain to you in these posts. And it is exactly the opposite of what you have been saying, which is that the provisions about the FAA not denying or revoking a medical refer "only to those who are using medical certification because they don't have a valid drivers license." (Post no. 15) Congratulations.
Well, what it means to me is:

First, I have never held any kind of pilots license for any kind of aircraft in any country in the world. I hold a valid US drivers license with only one restriction, corrective lenses. These lenses correct my vision to 20:20. If I wanted to earn a Sport Pilots license, all I need for proof of medical eligibility is my drivers license. Therefore, my original statement to NS in post #11 is completely correct.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:40 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Well, what it means to me is:

First, I have never held any kind of pilots license for any kind of aircraft in any country in the world. I hold a valid US drivers license with only one restriction, corrective lenses. These lenses correct my vision to 20:20. If I wanted to earn a Sport Pilots license, all I need for proof of medical eligibility is my drivers license. Therefore, my original statement to NS in post #11 is completely correct.
If you ever tried to take an FAA medical examination, and got denied a medical certificate, then your driver's license would be ineligible, and for that reason, it would be illegal for you to fly a light-sport aircraft. Either a driver's license, or third class medical is needed. If a third class medical was denied, suspended, or revoked, then you would not be able to use your driver's license as a medical certificate. But if you have never taken the physical, then your driver's license would work ONLY in that case, and ONLY for light-sport.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:54 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
If you ever tried to take an FAA medical examination, and got denied a medical certificate, then your driver's license would be ineligible, and for that reason, it would be illegal for you to fly a light-sport aircraft. Either a driver's license, or third class medical is needed. If a third class medical was denied, suspended, or revoked, then you would not be able to use your driver's license as a medical certificate. But if you have never taken the physical, then your driver's license would work ONLY in that case, and ONLY for light-sport.
Well my point was, and remains, that it is possible to become a sport pilot with only a drivers license as proof of medical eligibility. Why would I ever need to take an FAA physical?
Old 10-12-2014, 07:01 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Well my point was, and remains, that it is possible to become a sport pilot with only a drivers license as proof of medical eligibility. Why would I ever need to take an FAA physical?
maybe the sport pilots should get together and form a CBO and have them kick the FAA around too... its done wonders for us so far.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:09 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
maybe the sport pilots should get together and form a CBO and have them kick the FAA around too... its done wonders for us so far.
They have a CBO, it is the EAA.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:37 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it inevitable to cancel AC 91-57 as it contradicts the lawas to the 5 mile limit. What matters is the new regulation and any AC that might replace it. Not that I am that optimistic mind you.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:56 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

so they need the EAA membership to fly at EAA airfields too?
Old 10-13-2014, 04:12 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
so they need the EAA membership to fly at EAA airfields too?
I would laugh if you were funny. Don't quit your day job.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:14 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I think it inevitable to cancel AC 91-57 as it contradicts the lawas to the 5 mile limit. What matters is the new regulation and any AC that might replace it. Not that I am that optimistic mind you.
Yup, section 336 has made AC 91-57 obsolete for many reasons. I think the interpretation rule will be the replacement.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:26 AM
bradpaul

Is EAA recognized as a CBO by the FAA? Or is it wishful thinking like saying the AMA is a CBO for the purposes of sec 336?
Old 10-13-2014, 05:06 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Is EAA recognized as a CBO by the FAA?
Actually, it is irrelevant. EAA type flyers must meet all relevant FAA regulations. They don't need a CBO for that. The EAA provides other services to promote recreational and experimental full scale aviation and home built type full scale aircraft.

Or is it wishful thinking like saying the AMA is a CBO for the purposes of sec 336?
The CBO concept was invented solely for section 336 to describe a generic entity for model aviation. It is the responsibility of the AMA to fill the role of a CBO in order to satisfy the intent of section 336.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:27 AM
bradpaul

Actually, it is irrelevant. EAA type flyers must meet all relevant FAA regulations. They don't need a CBO for that. The EAA provides other services to promote recreational and experimental full scale aviation and home built type full scale aircraft.'
Glad to see that you recognize that your post #36 was irrelevant!

The CBO concept was invented solely for section 336 to describe a generic entity for model aviation. It is the responsibility of the AMA to fill the role of a CBO in order to satisfy the intent of section 336.
Just as I thought "wishful thinking" We now have both the "FAA" and the "JohnShe" Interpretation of Sec 336................................. Of course what actually will matter in the eventual result of the lawsuit filed by the AMA and other parties.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:21 AM
JohnShe

Glad to see that you recognize that your post #36 was irrelevant!
Actually, it was a feeble attempt at humor. But I am retired so I don't have to worry about income.

Just as I thought "wishful thinking" We now have both the "FAA" and the "JohnShe" Interpretation of Sec 336................................. Of course what actually will matter in the eventual result of the lawsuit filed by the AMA and other parties.
Yup. I think that the AMA has thrown a monkey wrench into the whole thing with their suit. they could have negotiated a better outcome. But, we shall see, one of these days. Anyway, the building season has started for me. So I will keep busy anyway.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:40 AM
bradpaul

Just making sure that people understand that as the FAA has not recognized the AMA as a "nationwide community based organization" and that the AMA HAS NOT STATED that they are a "nationwide community based organization" that no recreational model aircraft flyer can meet the requirements of Sec 336 to be exempt from additional FAA regulation.

At this point we are all subject to whatever the FAA is yet to publish for sUAS regulation.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:27 AM
JohnShe

Just making sure that people understand that as the FAA has not recognized the AMA as a "nationwide community based organization" and that the AMA HAS NOT STATED that they are a "nationwide community based organization" that no recreational model aircraft flyer can meet the requirements of Sec 336 to be exempt from additional FAA regulation.

At this point we are all subject to whatever the FAA is yet to publish for sUAS regulation.
Yes, we need to keep in mind that there is no OFFICIAL recognition of any group as a CBO. But, there have been a couple of feeble hints from the FAA. One is in the interpretation rule where they acknowledge the FPV policy of an unspecified CBO. The other is a direct link to the AMA in their ;
[h=1]"What Can I Do With My Model Aircraft? Hobby/Recreational Flying"[/h]webpage. http://www.faa.gov/uas/publications/...aft_operators/

I do believe that language in the interpretation rule specifically admits that we will be free of FAA sUAS regulation if we meet the conditions of section 336. That means there has to be a CBO and that the FAA recognizes it. Again, I think the AMA threw a monkey wrench into the works with their ill advised suit. They should have negotiated an agreement.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A CBO is a legal term and is defined in US Code Title 20, Chapter 70,Subchapter IXPart A § 7801 as follows:

"
(6)Community-based organizationThe term “community-based organization” means a public or private nonprofit organization of demonstrated effectiveness that—
(A) is representative of a community or significant segments of a community; and
(B) provides educational or related services to individuals in the community."

Not sure there is any law requiring a formal recognition. However, OMB circular A-119 defines "Voluntary Consensus Standards", which I believe the AMA safety code may meet.

In short there is no need for a formal precognition nor does the AMA need to announce they are such. Just as the USHPA do not say they are a CBO, yet they are. See their site here .

They say they are a community but not a CBO.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:37 AM
bradpaul

Yes, we need to keep in mind that there is no OFFICIAL recognition of any group as a CBO. But, there have been a couple of feeble hints from the FAA. One is in the interpretation rule where they acknowledge the FPV policy of an unspecified CBO. The other is a direct link to the AMA in their ;
"What Can I Do With My Model Aircraft? Hobby/Recreational Flying"

webpage. http://www.faa.gov/uas/publications/...aft_operators/

I do believe that language in the interpretation rule specifically admits that we will be free of FAA sUAS regulation if we meet the conditions of section 336. That means there has to be a CBO and that the FAA recognizes it. Again, I think the AMA threw a monkey wrench into the works with their ill advised suit. They should have negotiated an agreement.
As I posted in another thread the FAA and the AMA are playing "chicken". The FAA won't recognize and the AMA won't declare.................... Why that is, I would speculate that the AMA has been given guidance by the lawyers and insurance companies.

The AMA should declare in support of model aviation, they ARE A NATIONWIDE COMMUNITY BASED ORGANIZATION and if you adhere to the "programming" (term from the law) of the AMA and the other provisions of the law, that Sec 336 exempts you from further FAA regulation. PUT THE BALL IN THE FAA's COURT TO SAY OTHERWISE!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2014, 07:43 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
A CBO is a legal term and is defined in US Code Title 20, Chapter 70,Subchapter IXPart A § 7801 as follows:

"
(6)Community-based organizationThe term “community-based organization” means a public or private nonprofit organization of demonstrated effectiveness that—
(A) is representative of a community or significant segments of a community; and
(B) provides educational or related services to individuals in the community."

Not sure there is any law requiring a formal recognition. However, OMB circular A-119 defines "Voluntary Consensus Standards", which I believe the AMA safety code may meet.

In short there is no need for a formal precognition nor does the AMA need to announce they are such. Just as the USHPA do not say they are a CBO, yet they are. See their site here .

They say they are a community but not a CBO.
I largely agree, however the AMA should in benefit to it's membership and model aviation in general declare that they are a "nationwide community based organization" and not leave us all hanging or exposed on what we individually feel on the subject.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:16 AM
JohnShe

As I posted in another thread the FAA and the AMA are playing "chicken". The FAA won't recognize and the AMA won't declare.................... Why that is, I would speculate that the AMA has been given guidance by the lawyers and insurance companies.

The AMA should declare in support of model aviation, they ARE A NATIONWIDE COMMUNITY BASED ORGANIZATION and if you adhere to the "programming" (term from the law) of the AMA and the other provisions of the law, that Sec 336 exempts you from further FAA regulation. PUT THE BALL IN THE FAA's COURT TO SAY OTHERWISE!!!!!!
Yup, the AMA would have been better off if they had made such a declaration. The suit will drag on forever and the FAA can do what they want in the meantime. That would include ignoring all of the 30,000+ comments or acting on some or all of them. (except the one that said they had their head up their posterior.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.