Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

a sticky wicket, indeed

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

a sticky wicket, indeed

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 08:22 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bradpaul
As I posted in another thread the FAA and the AMA are playing "chicken". The FAA won't recognize and the AMA won't declare.................... Why that is, I would speculate that the AMA has been given guidance by the lawyers and insurance companies.

The AMA should declare in support of model aviation, they ARE A NATIONWIDE COMMUNITY BASED ORGANIZATION and if you adhere to the "programming" (term from the law) of the AMA and the other provisions of the law, that Sec 336 exempts you from further FAA regulation. PUT THE BALL IN THE FAA's COURT TO SAY OTHERWISE!!!!!!
Somewhere, back somewhere, I made a post to the effect that there is NO actual Community Based Organization as per the AMA being an official such organization.

Thank you for your statements, BradPaul, and I do totally agree with your statements in these several postings. AMA leadership, IMO, at this time (and for sometime) is totally resting in the AMA's paid staff. IMO, the real leadership should rest totally within the Executive Council and those membership-elected Council Members with guidance from the membership itself.
The paid staff hired help should only be there to carry out the mandates of the Executive Council
, (EC). The current situation can easily be corrected with a strong EC that will take hold of their responsibilities.
With all the new DVPs that will be in the EC come Jan. 01, 2015 and a knowledgeable Pres.along with a strong EVP, There are some good possibilities of correcting the noted deficiencies.

Last edited by Hossfly; 10-13-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:22 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to hell with the faa ill fly my planes when and where i want to with my 9mm on my hip
Old 10-13-2014, 02:37 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by [email protected]
to hell with the faa ill fly my planes when and where i want to with my 9mm on my hip
He who lives by the gun dies by the gun. (to paraphrase an old saying)
Old 10-13-2014, 04:46 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Those who have never had dealings with the federal government and the FAA in particular, often under estimate their potential.

Modelers would be well advised to do everything possible to stay under the radar. The AMA would be well advised to be very careful who they get into bed with.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:51 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by JohnShe
He who lives by the gun dies by the gun. (to paraphrase an old saying)
A whole lot worse ways to die... Better than a mediocre suck nut gasping for some mercy...LOL
Old 10-13-2014, 05:13 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
A whole lot worse ways to die... Better than a mediocre suck nut gasping for some mercy...LOL
Good one, LCS!
Old 10-15-2014, 07:46 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
If you ever tried to take an FAA medical examination, and got denied a medical certificate, then your driver's license would be ineligible, and for that reason, it would be illegal for you to fly a light-sport aircraft. Either a driver's license, or third class medical is needed. If a third class medical was denied, suspended, or revoked, then you would not be able to use your driver's license as a medical certificate. But if you have never taken the physical, then your driver's license would work ONLY in that case, and ONLY for light-sport.
I can tell you that is absolutely false. If you fail an airman exam it can be for a multitude of reasons, the majority of which will not exclude one from a driver's license nor cause their cancellation. The rules written by the FAA in regards to the medical examination have become far more intrusive than in previous years and have included a multitude of new medications that are common in the general population which will make you exempt from a medical certificate.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:23 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
maybe the sport pilots should get together and form a CBO and have them kick the FAA around too... its done wonders for us so far.
Originally Posted by JohnShe
They have a CBO, it is the EAA.
And if it was not for the EAA in the 70's, general aviation (non-commercial) would not exist today.

We should be blessed that we have an organization like the AMA to help in the battle.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:23 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Originally Posted by DocYates
I can tell you that is absolutely false. If you fail an airman exam it can be for a multitude of reasons, the majority of which will not exclude one from a driver's license nor cause their cancellation. The rules written by the FAA in regards to the medical examination have become far more intrusive than in previous years and have included a multitude of new medications that are common in the general population which will make you exempt from a medical certificate.
Being denied an FAA medical certificate won't cost you your driver's license. Sorry about my bad wording. It just means you won't be able to fly a light-sport aircraft, whether or not you have a driver's license, because your driver's license would no longer be eligible to serve as a medical certificate. The only route available would be that of passing the third-class medical in that case.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:16 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No problem, Norfolk, just wanted to make sure that someone did not misconstrue what you said. However, I do know of one individual who lost his medical years ago due to a heart attack. He is now flying LSA (light sport aircraft), so somewhere along the way he managed to get it rectified.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:22 AM
TimJ

I know a few people that now fly LSA because they lost their medical. That is the back up plan of many pilots I know.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:55 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TimJ
I know a few people that now fly LSA because they lost their medical. That is the back up plan of many pilots I know.
It depends on what you mean by "lost their medical." If you know you have a condition that would keep you from passing your next medical, so you let the old one expire and don't try to get a new one, your driver's license will let you fly LSAs. (There are, however, rules against flying if you know you have a condition that would disqualify you, though they are obviously hard to enforce.) But, as NorfolkSouthern has pointed out repeatedly, if you failed your last medical exam, or if your last medical was suspended or revoked, your driver's license will not be enough to let you fly LSAs. The only way to recover from that kind of thing is to pass a third-class medical exam.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:11 PM
TimJ

You are right Top_Gunn.