Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

a sticky wicket, indeed

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

a sticky wicket, indeed

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 06:11 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts
Default a sticky wicket, indeed

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...cumentid/22425

may prove out to be rather a bad thing in the works.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:25 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mongo
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...cumentid/22425

may prove out to be rather a bad thing in the works.
Seems the only logical conclusion... of course that will be blamed on FPV...
Old 10-10-2014, 07:30 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Seems the only logical conclusion... of course that will be blamed on FPV...
Doesn't seem likely, as that would be counterproductive to AMA's (specifically paid staff, as they run the org now rather than the elected EC) ambitions to bring commercial UAS operators with their big rice bowls into the fold. They'll need another scapegoat to blame, to deflect culpability for the state of affairs resulting from their their own arcane venture into big city politics, lobbying for what has become Sec. 336 in the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012. There is plenty of precedent for blaming the usual suspects, the outlaws that fly model aircraft without paying the toll to AMA; no need to point fingers at those comprising the market segment of their wet dreams.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:37 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

the blame I am talking about would be from the lowly AMA members...as ample evidence suggests that strongly IMO
Old 10-11-2014, 12:08 PM
cj_rumley

Ahh........understand your comment better now. Yes, some folks posting here do have their fingers pointed at FPV as the root of all evils that will befall modeldom. Doesn't appear to be a widespread sentiment though.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:47 PM
binns aero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, the all-mighty buck and the rights of a free nation.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:59 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Ahh........understand your comment better now. Yes, some folks posting here do have their fingers pointed at FPV as the root of all evils that will befall modeldom. Doesn't appear to be a widespread sentiment though.
FPV has nothing to do with it. It is all about section 336 of the FAA modernization act. This has been a long time coming and should have been expected by everybody. The FAA is locking things up so they can regulate commercial and public drone use without interfering with, or being bothered by, recreational model aviation. I see it as a good thing.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:20 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnShe
FPV has nothing to do with it. It is all about section 336 of the FAA modernization act. This has been a long time coming and should have been expected by everybody. The FAA is locking things up so they can regulate commercial and public drone use without interfering with, or being bothered by, recreational model aviation. I see it as a good thing.
You see it as a good thing.....watch what you want.....you just might get it..................................and if you think the FAA is going to look the other way when it comes to our hobby - think again - "public drone use" will include OUR HOBBY.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:05 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by tailskid
You see it as a good thing.....watch what you want.....you just might get it..................................and if you think the FAA is going to look the other way when it comes to our hobby - think again - "public drone use" will include OUR HOBBY.
Well, the wrote AC 91-57 in 1981 and looked the other way until congress wrote a law telling the FAA to integrate public and commercial drones into the NAS. The law, thanks to AMA lobbying, excluded recreational model aviation from the drone integration legislation. It is clearly the intent of the FAA to obey the law and exclude us from these regulations, witness their interpretation rule that the have just published for comment.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:50 PM
NorfolkSouthern

If the AMA and model airplane lobbyists would have left well enough alone when the modernization act was drafted, then I can be reasonably certain that AC 91-57 would still exist. I have no doubt in my mind that the FAA higher-ups were a little more than unhappy when Section 336 was put into place. Honestly: I strongly feel that in the FAA's opinion, a person has no business putting anything in the air without a medical certificate and a license.

How far can the FAA go with their restrictions on hobby model flying?
Old 10-12-2014, 04:32 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
If the AMA and model airplane lobbyists would have left well enough alone when the modernization act was drafted, then I can be reasonably certain that AC 91-57 would still exist. I have no doubt in my mind that the FAA higher-ups were a little more than unhappy when Section 336 was put into place. Honestly: I strongly feel that in the FAA's opinion, a person has no business putting anything in the air without a medical certificate and a license.

How far can the FAA go with their restrictions on hobby model flying?
All you need is a valid drivers license to become a sport pilot. And no, you can't be sure that AC 91-57 would still be in place without section 336. In fact, the definition of drone includes model aircraft. Section 336 saved our recreational privileges and actually made it easier for the FAA. Once the FAA section 336 interpretation rule goes into effect, the FAA will be rid of us. I think that they will write an AC recognizing the AMA as a CBO, but that is not really necessary.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:52 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Really? Just a driver's license, and you can march on down to the FOB, hop into anything less than 120mph & under 1,200lb, cruise on down the runway and have a ball huh? Well golly gee, if you've ever been denied a medical, you can get into a lot of trouble for doing just that. That'll give you three hots and a cot on the taxpayer's dime for a year or two anyway. No doubt an optimist would appreciate the free room and board that goes with it, though. Right?
Old 10-12-2014, 09:50 AM
JohnShe

Really? Just a driver's license, and you can march on down to the FOB, hop into anything less than 120mph & under 1,200lb, cruise on down the runway and have a ball huh? Well golly gee, if you've ever been denied a medical, you can get into a lot of trouble for doing just that. That'll give you three hots and a cot on the taxpayer's dime for a year or two anyway. No doubt an optimist would appreciate the free room and board that goes with it, though. Right?

Wow, have you ever considered trolling for a living? Read the brochure from the FAA on sport pilot requirements.

MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS FOR SPORT PILOT (14 CFR part 61.23/53/303)
A Medical or U.S. Driver’s License (Other than Balloon or Glider)
A Student Pilot Seeking Sport Pilot Privileges in a Light-Sport Aircraft
A Pilot Exercising the Privileges of a Sport Pilot Certificate
A Flight Instructor Acting as PIC of a Light-Sport Aircraft
A Person Using a Current and Valid U.S. Driver’s License Must
Comply With Each Restriction and Limitation Imposed on Your Drivers License
Comply With Any Judicial or Administrative Order Applying to the Operation of a Motor Vehicle
Not Have Been Denied Your Most Recent Application for a Medical Certificate (If You Have Applied for Medical Certificate)
Not Have Your Most Recently Issued Medical Certificate Suspended or Revoked (If You Have Been Issued a Medical Certificate)
Not Had Your Most Recent Authorization for a Special Issuance of a Medical Certificate Withdrawn (A Special Issuance Is Not a Denial)

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...SPBrochure.pdf
Old 10-12-2014, 10:33 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Wow, have you ever considered trolling for a living? Read the brochure from the FAA on sport pilot requirements.

MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS FOR SPORT PILOT (14 CFR part 61.23/53/303)
A Medical or U.S. Driver’s License (Other than Balloon or Glider)
A Student Pilot Seeking Sport Pilot Privileges in a Light-Sport Aircraft
A Pilot Exercising the Privileges of a Sport Pilot Certificate
A Flight Instructor Acting as PIC of a Light-Sport Aircraft
A Person Using a Current and Valid U.S. Driver’s License Must
Comply With Each Restriction and Limitation Imposed on Your Drivers License
Comply With Any Judicial or Administrative Order Applying to the Operation of a Motor Vehicle
Not Have Been Denied Your Most Recent Application for a Medical Certificate (If You Have Applied for Medical Certificate)
Not Have Your Most Recently Issued Medical Certificate Suspended or Revoked (If You Have Been Issued a Medical Certificate)
Not Had Your Most Recent Authorization for a Special Issuance of a Medical Certificate Withdrawn (A Special Issuance Is Not a Denial)

There is always a catch 22.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:17 AM
JohnShe

There is always a catch 22.
Wow, you are still trying to troll, well maybe you will eventually learn how. The part that you highlighted refers only to those who are using medical certification because they don't have a valid drivers license. It, most certainly, is not a catch 22.

Read the sport pilot brochure again.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:36 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, you are still trying to troll, well maybe you will eventually learn how. The part that you highlighted refers only to those who are using medical certification because they don't have a valid drivers license. It, most certainly, is not a catch 22.
The highlighted part refers to people using a driver's license rather than a medical..

Last edited by Top_Gunn; 10-12-2014 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Correct an error and clarify answer
Old 10-12-2014, 02:38 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
This is not true. If you lost (or failed) your last medical, you cannot be a sport pilot. The drivers license is a completely different matter; you can't become a sport pilot if you don't have one, and passing a medical is not a substitute for having one.
That is not what it says in the FAA Sport Pilot brochure.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:41 PM
tailskid

Bad link JohnShe....
Old 10-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Top_Gunn

Well, I was partly wrong. You can use a medical in place of a driver's license. But your main argument is wrong. Read Post 14 again. The three requirements that NorfolkSouthern underlined and bolded are requirements that must be met by "a person using ... a driver's license." So, to get a sport pilot certificte, you must either pass a medical or have a driver's license, and if you are going to go the driver's license route, you must not have failed your last medical or had your last medical suspended or revoked. So you got this exactly backward: these requirements are for people using a driver's license instead of a current medical, not for people using a medical in place of a driver's license. Quite apart from the fact that this is what it says, it wouldn't make any sense at all to make these things a requirement for people who have a medical: If you have a current medical, it couldn't have been suspended or revoked and you couldn't have been denied. If those things had happened, you wouldn't have a current medical.

None of which means the FAA will require a medical for people to fly models. Though it's possible, I suppose.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:55 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by tailskid
Bad link JohnShe....
Sorry, the link to the brochure (A PDF File) is on this page.

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...n/sport_pilot/

Look for:
Old 10-12-2014, 03:06 PM
JohnShe

Well, I was partly wrong. You can use a medical in place of a driver's license. But your main argument is wrong. Read Post 14 again. The three requirements that NorfolkSouthern underlined and bolded are requirements that must be met by "a person using ... a driver's license." So, to get a sport pilot certificte, you must either pass a medical or have a driver's license, and if you are going to go the driver's license route, you must not have failed your last medical or had your last medical suspended or revoked. So you got this exactly backward: these requirements are for people using a driver's license instead of a current medical, not for people using a medical in place of a driver's license. Quite apart from the fact that this is what it says, it wouldn't make any sense at all to make these things a requirement for people who have a medical: If you have a current medical, it couldn't have been suspended or revoked and you couldn't have been denied. If those things had happened, you wouldn't have a current medical.

None of which means the FAA will require a medical for people to fly models. Though it's possible, I suppose.
You missed the. rather frequent use of, the word "IF". I know it's teeny-tiny and could easily be hidden by the merest dust speck on your monocle, but it is there and it changes everything.

There will be no regulations for model aircraft flyers who abide by the rules of a CBO. But, if you cannot or will not follow the rules you are screwed and I have no sympathy.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:07 PM
Top_Gunn

Sorry, the link to the brochure (A PDF File) is on this page.

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...n/sport_pilot/

Look for:
Yes. And under the provisions about people using a driver's license, you will see the material about not having been denied your last medical, having it revoked, etc. Case closed.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:15 PM
Top_Gunn

You missed the. rather frequent use of, the word "IF". I know it's teeny-tiny and could easily be hidden by the merest dust speck on your monocle, but it is there and it changes everything.
I didn't miss it. It's not relevant. Of course you couldn't have had your last medical suspended or revoked unless you had one, and you couldn't have been denied the last time you tried to get a medical if you never tried to get one. So it doesn't change "everything." Quite the contrary: It changes nothing. Nobody has ever claimed that you have to have a medical to get a sport pilot certificate. But if (there's your magic word again) your last medical was suspennded or revoked, or you were denied one the last time you applied, you can't become a sport pilot with just a driver's license.

Before making snide remarks, it would be a good idea to see whether you are right. Are you still seriously maintaining that these requirements about not having your last medical revoked, etc., apply to people who want to use a current medical to qualify? That would be crazy.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:48 PM
tailskid

[QUOTE=JohnShe;11898315......

There will be no regulations for model aircraft flyers who abide by the rules of a CBO. But, if you cannot or will not follow the rules you are screwed and I have no sympathy.[/QUOTE]

You speak like a person in authority or in charge....by any chance are you in any way connected to the FAA or other government department.....if so, NOW I'M HAPPY!!!!
Old 10-12-2014, 04:43 PM
JohnShe

Yes. And under the provisions about people using a driver's license, you will see the material about not having been denied your last medical, having it revoked, etc. Case closed.
It says very clearly, in red letters (I hope you aren't color blind); "A Medical or U.S. Driver’s License". Case closed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.