Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 04:33 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

kinda sounds like the attitude of the folks at nasa, before that "o-ring" incedent.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:07 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Serious accident is probably over billion to one. With some education. No need to ground RC aircraft.
Hows that working out?

Mike
Old 09-29-2017, 12:32 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Now, let's be clear on what has been said about drones striking aircraft:
1) No one has said a rotor strike would down a chopper
2) Many, me included, have said a drone being sucked into a turbine engine VERY LIKELY COULD CAUSE ENOUGH DAMAGE TO DESTROY THAT TURBINE ENGINE
I've seen rotor blades on H-3 Sea Kings after a bird was hit that were deemed unusable upon landing while others were left on for several more flights. In this case, I'd say the pilot and crew got very lucky as the blade held up and the oil cooler wasn't seriously damaged. I'd also say the drone operator was very lucky he wasn't spotted or he'd be sitting in a jail cell right now.
Just had another thought. It is very likely the drone was above the Blackhawk since, by nature, a rotor blade is pushing air downward to generate lift. That means a low pressure area is above the rotor blade circle. This means the drone very likely got sucked down into the blade arc before being struck by the blade. As I said, just a thought

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 09-29-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:17 AM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

here we go again: Drone hits passenger jet in Canada, the first time it's happened | Fox News
Old 10-16-2017, 10:59 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Default Dumb, stupid drone moron!

I hope he gets jail time pays the full fine and has to pay damage on the plane, I seen bird strikes that has caused thousands of dollars worth of damage.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:58 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Yea, jail time and a 20 grand fine would set a nice example not to be stupid
Old 10-17-2017, 03:50 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DJI’s announced that they have created a new technology called AeroScope that is capable of tracking and identifying airborne drones. The system reportedly takes the data sent by the aircraft and allows authorities to gather details about the location of the drone.

"As drones have become an everyday tool for professional and personal use, authorities want to be sure they can identify who is flying near sensitive locations or in ways that raise serious concerns," Brendan Schulman, DJI's VP for Policy and Legal Affairs, said in a statement.

It’s reported that AeroScope isn’t very new and has been described as a mature system, which DJI has installed into two international airports since April this year.

DJI says that AeroScope can sense a drone the moment it powers on, being able to tap into the communications link between a drone and its remote.

“Since AeroScope transmits on a DJI drone’s existing communications link, it does not require new on-board equipment or modifications, or require extra steps or costs to be incurred by drone operators,” explains DJI. “This approach also avoids substantial costs and complexities. AeroScope receiver can immediately sense a drone as it powers on, then plot its location on a map while displaying a registration number.”

DJI says that AeroScope has the ability to sense “all current models of DJI drones” and will only be available to authorized personnel, mentioning “police, security agencies, aviation authorities, and other authorized parties ...”

There is some concern from drone operators about privacy, but DJI says that the only information that will be transmitted to AeroScope from the drone is its registration and serial number along with its location, altitude, speed, and direction, essentially making the number a license plate for your drone.

DJI explained that “authorized receivers of the transmission who believe the drone’s operator is violating a regulation or engaged in unlawful acts can record and investigate, similar to how a license plate might be recorded by someone who is cut off on a road.”

DJI says that drone identification settings will be included initial drone software, allowing their customers to choose the content of their own drone’s identification broadcast to match local expectations both before and after identification regulations are implemented in different jurisdictions. They also said that to protect privacy, the AeroScope system will not automatically transmit any personal identifiable information until regulations or policies in the pilot‘s jurisdiction require it.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:50 AM
Hydro Junkie

It's about time someone took a step like that. We knew a "dronestrike" was coming and, now that it has, maybe someone will take this system and expand on it
Old 10-17-2017, 08:49 AM
FLAPHappy

Here is another example: Drones flying over California wildfires hurt firefighting efforts, officials say | Fox News
Old 10-17-2017, 01:30 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Doh!

Originally Posted by HoundDog
DJI’s announced that they have created a new technology called AeroScope that is capable of tracking and identifying airborne drones. The system reportedly takes the data sent by the aircraft and allows authorities to gather details about the location of the drone.

"As drones have become an everyday tool for professional and personal use, authorities want to be sure they can identify who is flying near sensitive locations or in ways that raise serious concerns," Brendan Schulman, DJI's VP for Policy and Legal Affairs, said in a statement.

It’s reported that AeroScope isn’t very new and has been described as a mature system, which DJI has installed into two international airports since April this year.

DJI says that AeroScope can sense a drone the moment it powers on, being able to tap into the communications link between a drone and its remote.

“Since AeroScope transmits on a DJI drone’s existing communications link, it does not require new on-board equipment or modifications, or require extra steps or costs to be incurred by drone operators,” explains DJI. “This approach also avoids substantial costs and complexities. AeroScope receiver can immediately sense a drone as it powers on, then plot its location on a map while displaying a registration number.”

DJI says that AeroScope has the ability to sense “all current models of DJI drones” and will only be available to authorized personnel, mentioning “police, security agencies, aviation authorities, and other authorized parties ...”

There is some concern from drone operators about privacy, but DJI says that the only information that will be transmitted to AeroScope from the drone is its registration and serial number along with its location, altitude, speed, and direction, essentially making the number a license plate for your drone.

DJI explained that “authorized receivers of the transmission who believe the drone’s operator is violating a regulation or engaged in unlawful acts can record and investigate, similar to how a license plate might be recorded by someone who is cut off on a road.”

DJI says that drone identification settings will be included initial drone software, allowing their customers to choose the content of their own drone’s identification broadcast to match local expectations both before and after identification regulations are implemented in different jurisdictions. They also said that to protect privacy, the AeroScope system will not automatically transmit any personal identifiable information until regulations or policies in the pilot‘s jurisdiction require it.
sounds like all that is missing is the ability to initiate a mandatory "return to base" command from the monitoring agency in cases of imminent danger.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:49 PM
Sport_Pilot

Jet? I thought it was a King Air? And where are the damage photos? May have been a bag!
Old 11-24-2017, 07:53 AM
FLAPHappy

It's still happening.
Drones becoming a threat to first-responder operations Fox News
Old 12-06-2017, 02:50 PM
HoundDog

SIGHTINGS

I analyzed data regarding almost 3 years of drone sightings. I created some helpful graphs on which states had the highest sightings, which cities had the highest sightings, and what did the sightings per month look like during that time.

Another interesting point in the article is where I compared what the FAA said on two occasions to their own data. Has the FAA been accurate on their reports of "drone sightings?" Find out in my article on Drone Sightings.

NEW ONLINE COURSES

I have been diligently working in the background on a Drone Night Operations Training Course designed for those intending to fly their drone at night. It covers physiological conditions that may degrade night vision, visual illusions and their remedies, and proper nighttime scanning techniques. This course is great for those intending to develop night training material for their night operations under a night waiver. Night Operations Training Course

I'm also working on a section-by-section Part 107 Regulations course. Both of these courses would be excellent for a responsible person to use for training their remote pilots flying under a waiver.

I need your feedback. Are you interested in me creating an online course on a particular topic? Let me know which topics you would like me to make an online course about.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:46 AM
FLAPHappy

Here is another example of an IDIOT. https://www.yahoo.com/news/drone-ope...161557685.html
Old 12-15-2017, 10:26 AM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember the FOD walkdowns down the runway at our NAS. They were fun and produced quite an array of interesting bits of hardware amongst the other debris.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:12 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

What that doesn't say, is that he was flying during a TFR in addition to being BLOS so, me thinks he's going to get hammered
Old 12-15-2017, 11:56 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
What that doesn't say, is that he was flying during a TFR in addition to being BLOS so, me thinks he's going to get hammered
I'll believe it when I see it to date NO ONE's been hammered. All fines have been reduced to pennies on the dollar and no jail time. Now maybe if the Fed's actually follwed though on this and hung them out to dry it would stop it or at least curtail some of of it.

Mike
Old 12-15-2017, 12:46 PM
Papa51
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
Here is another example of an IDIOT. https://www.yahoo.com/news/drone-ope...161557685.html
The writer of the article defamed every one of us here by referring to the drone operator as a “hobbyist”.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:13 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
This is why I have always said that every one should have to pass a computerized test Covering where and when R/C flight may be done, and Issued a certificate in order to fly anything R/C Controlled in NAS.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:27 PM
Hydro Junkie

I had to laugh at the "informed posters" below the article. Some tried to blame the helicopter crew for flying too low, others said both parties were at fault. Not one person actually took the time to look at the main issue:
ILLEGALLY FLYING THE QUAD-COPTER OVER 2.5 MILES AWAY FROM THE OPERATOR BY FPV ONLY IN VIOLATION OF IN PLACE AND PUBLICIZED FAA RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2017, 04:40 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
I had to laugh at the "informed posters" below the article. Some tried to blame the helicopter crew for flying too low, others said both parties were at fault. Not one person actually took the time to look at the main issue:
ILLEGALLY FLYING THE QUAD-COPTER OVER 2.5 MILES AWAY FROM THE OPERATOR BY FPV ONLY IN VIOLATION OF IN PLACE AND PUBLICIZED FAA RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All the more reason for a Federal license (Not just a Number) is needed for any R/C Controled device to be flowen in the NAS. Exemption for Designated R/C flying Fields operated under a CBO.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:02 PM
Hydro Junkie

I wouldn't put in that exemption. The CBO has shown that it's not acting in our best interest anymore so just make it a requirement to get an FAA pilot's license to fly anything that leaves the ground. It would just require the FAA to create another endorsement to fly R/C and the basic licensing fees. Obviously, to get the license, you would have to prove to an FAA official that you can actually fly something which means a test would have to be set up for R/C pilots to pass. It would also create a way for the local LEOs to be able to use existing federal laws on those that think they are ABOVE THE LAW
Old 12-15-2017, 09:14 PM
HoundDog

I wouldn't put in that exemption. The CBO has shown that it's not acting in our best interest anymore so just make it a requirement to get an FAA pilot's license to fly anything that leaves the ground. It would just require the FAA to create another endorsement to fly R/C and the basic licensing fees. Obviously, to get the license, you would have to prove to an FAA official that you can actually fly something which means a test would have to be set up for R/C pilots to pass. It would also create a way for the local LEOs to be able to use existing federal laws on those that think they are ABOVE THE LAW
Not true if it were not for the AMA no one would be flying anything Period.
All Flying should be exempt from FAA Regulation when flying at a designated fling site. i.e. one must have an FAA certificate to fly anywhere else.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:18 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Not true if it were not for the AMA no one would be flying anything Period.
All Flying should be exempt from FAA Regulation when flying at a designated fling site. i.e. one must have an FAA certificate to fly anywhere else.
How is it on our best interest to have "Taj Muncie" brokering commercial drone insurance? How about them advertising same USING YOUR MEMBERSHIP DUES TO PAY FOR THE ADS? What about their pet project of building an indoor flying sight in the immediate vicinity of the AMA offices? Does that benefit anyone on either coast? The AMA is going broke, slowly but surely, due to declining membership and scandalously wasting funds on things that make little fiscal sense. Hell, look at how the last election was handled, letting one candidate advertise in the organizations publications while undermining the other. Is that doing things in the best interest of the members? NOT IN ANY REALITY I CAN THINK OF!!!!

The AMA has not made flying R/C aircraft any easier or possible. If I want to fly, I can go to a local park or school and fly my planes there. My tax dollars pay for those facilities so I have as much right to use them as anyone else. We have had several flying fields shut down in my area over the past several years, nothing was heard from the AMA on any of them but they still expect to have us pay for their self-serving projects. Sorry, I'll pay for an FAA license if I have to so I can fly. The AMA has done nothing for me to show that they deserve my support or my hard earned dollars

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 12-15-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:58 AM
HoundDog

How is it on our best interest to have "Taj Muncie" brokering commercial drone insurance? How about them advertising same USING YOUR MEMBERSHIP DUES TO PAY FOR THE ADS? What about their pet project of building an indoor flying sight in the immediate vicinity of the AMA offices? Does that benefit anyone on either coast? The AMA is going broke, slowly but surely, due to declining membership and scandalously wasting funds on things that make little fiscal sense. Hell, look at how the last election was handled, letting one candidate advertise in the organizations publications while undermining the other. Is that doing things in the best interest of the members? NOT IN ANY REALITY I CAN THINK OF!!!!

The AMA has not made flying R/C aircraft any easier or possible. If I want to fly, I can go to a local park or school and fly my planes there. My tax dollars pay for those facilities so I have as much right to use them as anyone else. We have had several flying fields shut down in my area over the past several years, nothing was heard from the AMA on any of them but they still expect to have us pay for their self-serving projects. Sorry, I'll pay for an FAA license if I have to so I can fly. The AMA has done nothing for me to show that they deserve my support or my hard earned dollars
The AMA is in the Insurance bussiness Period. The other stuff is supported by the Insurance bussiness. Like to see a Law passed that requires all R/C Flyers to carry Liablity insurance just like Auto Insurance is.
If that's how you feel then Go fly in the park, no one is begging you to stay in the AMA. You club mates most likely wouldn't miss you one little bit. I'll bet your community requires some kind if Insurance to fly there any way. Don't forget you'll have to compete for flying time with the DRONE boys.
As for these clubs shutting down did they even requeat help from te AMA.
This is an Old Google map of Lake Land Flying field on the local airport. Airports been there since the late 20's and R/C since '75. See the new Subdivision just 2200' South East of our field. Now Look to the East Soon there will be a New Grad School Church and another Grade school. The onl saving grace MABY is a 29 acre city park from the end of our EW runway to the new schools/Church. I'm sre we'll be limited to as how far we can fly to the East (If we don't get shut down all thgether) When they put scoccer nets there I'm sure that we've been flying there for over 42 years or that it's been an airport for well over 80 years will matter one pinch of S**t.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Oc....4723205?hl=en

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.