Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 09:55 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems there are actually only 10 reports of near miss's with UAV.

http://www.techenstein.com/drone-rep...d-the-fiction/
Old 11-30-2014, 10:03 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
It seems there are actually only 10 reports of near miss's with UAV.

http://www.techenstein.com/drone-rep...d-the-fiction/

Per New York Times: "After requests by news organizations, the agency, the Federal Aviation Administration, released a report on Wednesday that compiles data on drone incidents reported to it this year through air traffic control facilities around the country. The list isn’t comprehensive since some drone incidents are reported to local law enforcement agencies, or not at all."

There's a link in the article that allows you to download the FAA's list - which has 194 entries
Old 12-01-2014, 05:02 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Per New York Times: "After requests by news organizations, the agency, the Federal Aviation Administration, released a report on Wednesday that compiles data on drone incidents reported to it this year through air traffic control facilities around the country. The list isn’t comprehensive since some drone incidents are reported to local law enforcement agencies, or not at all."

There's a link in the article that allows you to download the FAA's list - which has 194 entries
Only 10 were reported to the FAA or NASA by pilots. A list is not a report. So only 10 were serious enough for a pilot to report it. The rest is nothing, especially the one which was actually in a tree.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:13 AM
franklin_m

Only 10 were reported to the FAA or NASA by pilots. A list is not a report. So only 10 were serious enough for a pilot to report it. The rest is nothing, especially the one which was actually in a tree.
Well, then best of luck to you in your efforts. Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:16 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Well, then best of luck to you in your efforts. Let us know how it works out for you.
I'm not in court and not presently active in the hobby. So it better fits as to how it works for you when the FAA inspectior arives at your club.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:32 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Commercial UAV's used for delivery will be completely autonomous they will fly prescribed routes and observe prescribed altitudes.
They won't need NO STINK'N Pilot to screw up. Another 10 to 15 years your car will be the same way. To start on interstates between cities the on free ways and finally any where on the road.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:41 AM
JohnShe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The judge makes the decision, not the FAA. The FAA makes regulations and charges not decision's.
They can decide how to regulate and what the regulations will say. Isn't that a decision?
Old 12-01-2014, 06:59 AM
HoundDog

From another fourm: by HD
goto this URL https://www.fltplan.com/AwMainToAppr...SEARCH&end=end
Under Approach Charts (U.S. & Canada insert the 3 letter Identifier of the airport of concern, or if unknown fill in the other criteria.
Down load the approach plates for your airport. Print them out as large as U can. Study the charts especially the plan view and the profile with the decent altitudes. Now for a good idea how these approaches affect your RC field go to Google Earth activate the RULER and draw the plan views of each segment of all the approaches that might affect your RC field. Save each segment so as to be able to draw others with out loosing those already drawn. Don't for get about the circle to land criteria for altitude but usually only applies to with in 1 mile of the air port. the Missed approach may be of concern also. From this U will get a better picture where the aircraft doing actual approaches in less than VFR conditions and these Practicing in VFR conditions will or should be with in your proximity to your RC Field. Remember that many time even out side the 5 mile radius there can be extensions were planes might be flying lower than usual.
U must remember that in VFR conditions that 99% of airplanes with in 5 miles of an air port where they intend to land they willl/should be at pattern altitude i.e. usually 1000' AGL but could be as low as 800' agl anywhere in that 5 mile radius from the center of the airport. Some times at pattern altitude even farther out than 5 miles. Then their is always special VFR at a operating towered airport witch is 1 mile visibilith and clear of clouds. If your field is one of these it may behove the club to aquire an aviation capable receiver only tuned to the frequency used at that airport as it will give U a mental picture of the air traffic in your area. Reason for receive only is unless U are licensed it is Illegal to use an Aviation radio.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:14 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by JohnShe
They can decide how to regulate and what the regulations will say. Isn't that a decision?

No. Only judges make decision's. Sometimes an agency can make legal decisions but in the case of the FAA that rests with the court system in the NTSB. The closest that the FAA can do is maybe submit an opinion. And right now I am not sure that is true. How they regulate and make charges can be considered a decision in generic terms yes, but in legal terms they cannot.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:47 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Good god .drone pilots will make senseless arguments and declare any air space as free to do whatever they wa regardless of public safety.as for the dessert be my guest.at least your out and away from humans something you likely no nothing abouas for texas who gives a crap.(
Old 12-01-2014, 12:09 PM
JohnShe

No. Only judges make decision's. Sometimes an agency can make legal decisions but in the case of the FAA that rests with the court system in the NTSB. The closest that the FAA can do is maybe submit an opinion. And right now I am not sure that is true. How they regulate and make charges can be considered a decision in generic terms yes, but in legal terms they cannot.
The FAA was not making a legal decision, they were or are making a regulatory decision. Big difference.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:58 PM
Sport_Pilot

You don't have such a thing as regulatory decisions. They are rulings.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:18 PM
JohnShe

Are we talking about binding legal decisions or decisions on how to phrase regulations?
Old 12-01-2014, 01:53 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Sport: The FAA has many Regulations, all in Print, and some not yet written, but will be by the end of this year.Every year they write different Regulations depending on what is important for Safety. If you violate the written Regulations, you will be Fined, or sent to Jail depending on the circumstance. These Regulations have passed through many Lawyers hands, that's why they were written and published. You talk about Gun laws, well who's decision is it to pull the trigger? It is the person that is holding the gun. The Judge did not make that Decision. There are written Regulations regarding that also.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:46 PM
Sport_Pilot

or decisions on how to phrase regulations?
I think they call that editing.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
Sport: The FAA has many Regulations, all in Print, and some not yet written, but will be by the end of this year.Every year they write different Regulations depending on what is important for Safety. If you violate the written Regulations, you will be Fined, or sent to Jail depending on the circumstance. These Regulations have passed through many Lawyers hands, that's why they were written and published. You talk about Gun laws, well who's decision is it to pull the trigger? It is the person that is holding the gun. The Judge did not make that Decision. There are written Regulations regarding that also.
Look of course there are decisions made, but the FAA does not publish decisions only courts do that. The FAA publish's regulations and policy. Either Flycatch got the terminology wrong, or the FAA was referencing a decision to be handed down later.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:08 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Gun laws, in Chicago a few years back before sanity prevailed, they had a very strict gun law. It was a very SIMPLE one too. You can't have one, period. Having possession of a gun in the city of Chicago, unless it was registered prior to enactment of that law, was illegal. Does not get any stricter than that, yet, people were still being killed by guns, crime was still rampant due to guns. And people were crying for stricter gun laws. I am still trying to figure out how you can make something like, you can't have one, stricter.

Here we have the same thing. Dont fly unsafe, and dont fly near full scale planes. KISS. Get caught doing something stupid, pay the price, dont enact more laws, just enforce what is already written. I know we shouldn't think about a police state, however, when someone does something stupid that can impact our hobby, Report them! Video them doing something stupid so they get the crap kicked out of them with heavy fines. This will protect our hobby and our sanity. Who knows, by reporting someone doing something stupid like this, you could wind up saving a lot of lives that could be lost by some idiot doing a Hey look at me dumb move and taking down an airplane after damaging an engine. Whoops doesn't cut it.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:46 AM
N410DC

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Commercial UAV's used for delivery will be completely autonomous they will fly prescribed routes and observe prescribed altitudes.
They won't need NO STINK'N Pilot to screw up. Another 10 to 15 years your car will be the same way. To start on interstates between cities the on free ways and finally any where on the road.
I agree, there is nothing that can go wron04932-634964653465

{SYSTEM ERROR}
{AUTOMATIC SHUTDOWN INITIATED}

Error Code #55FAB59C2D
Old 12-05-2014, 09:49 AM
N410DC

The algorithms that the drones follow are written fallible humans. If a done is programmed incorrectly, it may or may not abide by "prescribed routes and altitudes." Removing the possibility of human error is impossible.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:10 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

What becomes of drones that eliminate human error?

SkyNet!

BTW New Terminator coming out soon, looks awesome too.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:42 PM
HoundDog

No one said that drones (Quads and the like) would be in fallible just autonomous. If every package in a UPS/FEDEX van needed it own driver Well U get the idea.
It's like commerical air liners The FMS does all the work. Pilots are just there because if something goes wrong the FAA/NTSB has some one to blame PILOT ERROR.

Last edited by HoundDog; 12-05-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:45 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by sport_pilot
i'm not in court and not presently active in the hobby. So it better fits as to how it works for you when the faa inspectior arives at your club.
lol!
Old 12-05-2014, 06:47 PM
JohnShe

No one said that drones (Quads and the like) would be in fallible just autonomous. If every package in a UPS/FEDEX van needed it own driver Well U get the idea.
It's like commerical air liners The FMS does all the work. Pilots are just there because if something goes wrong the FAA/NTSB has some one to blame PILOT ERROR.
LOL! If you believe that I've got a bridge to sell you.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:40 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by JohnShe
LOL! If you believe that I've got a bridge to sell you.
Jonny Boy I do Believe it. I fly with 3 X airline Pilots and 5 current Airline Pilots 737's 57' and 67's
They say they have pretty much been relegated to button pusher's, except on the ground and on final and TO.
Ya load or set up the FMS and MR. Sulu 3,2,1, Engage ... warp speed.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:15 AM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

I just read this on local news: http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-3...er_oregon.html

Think about how many drones there will be, not counting the people in a hobby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.