Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Old 08-01-2015, 06:55 AM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Guys, we have another idiot that is trying to destroy this hobby! Another real Near MISS.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/01.../?intcmp=hpbt4

Last edited by FLAPHappy; 08-01-2015 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:26 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But he only showed part of the data, and he did cross into his property and was shot down just after he crossed into his property. But we still do not know about the legality of shooting a firearm on his property. I have heard at least two opinions on that.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:20 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Again it's breaking news that a drone somewhat near flyod Bennett field
Old 08-01-2015, 09:38 AM
franklin_m

Two near misses being reported by part 135 operators going into JFK. I submit that it's rapidly becoming not a matter of "if" one of these hits an airliner, it's a matter of "when."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/01/us/dro...jfk/index.html

Last edited by franklin_m; 08-01-2015 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Include URL of report
Old 08-01-2015, 09:49 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Two near misses being reported by part 135 operators going into JFK. I submit that it's rapidly becoming not a matter of "if" one of these hits an airliner, it's a matter of "when."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/01/us/dro...jfk/index.html
Come on Franky even i know Delta 407 is Part 121 not 135.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:37 AM
cloudancer03

Now counties are involved.2 counties here in NY have passed laws regulating where and how drones are to used..]eanalites include a 250 dollar fine and increases to big fine with jail time.written permission to go over owners private property .no fly near police station or jail
the far will issue regulations shortly banning them within 6 miles. The association of ny counties plans recommended rules for all counties in ny to adopt in near future.
I mean what the heck do you think is going to eventually happen.CNN has broadcast all day about the near drone collision in my metro airspace..they indicated the current ability to jam drone feuqencies either on board commercial jets or at control towers.just the increases appearance over a popular lake in the adrondacks h as drawn more comments.real estate realtors are using them.it was stated that increased commerce activities while legit will call for licensing and more regulation
ny is considering a reward for the identifcationof the drone operator yesterday.it's estimated there are close to 60 incidents per month just in nyc airports montly.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:19 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Come on Franky even i know Delta 407 is Part 121 not 135.
Correct. My mistake. Part 121 operators. I still believe it's not a matter of "if" but rather "when." And I submit that when one of these drones hits a major airliner, it is my belief the FAA, NTSB, and all regulators / lawmakers will take draconian action. Our hobby will never be the same afterwards.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:46 PM
FLAPHappy

Correct. My mistake. Part 121 operators. I still believe it's not a matter of "if" but rather "when." And I submit that when one of these drones hits a major airliner, it is my belief the FAA, NTSB, and all regulators / lawmakers will take draconian action. Our hobby will never be the same afterwards.
Franklin: It is not a matter of Time, it's WHEN R/C will end. I don't want to be somebody that thinks negative but the actions that follow will be more regulation, if not a total ban on R/C if something is not done to correct this.
It seems to never end. These clowns fly these drones anywhere, at any altitude they want, and could care less about regulations. Maybe these people just don't know the danger involved flying in a regulated airspace. They should, before even being permitted to buy one of these drones. Look at Gun Laws, they want your drivers license, name address, phone number, and a positive ID. before you can even buy a gun within the law. Then you have a waiting period for some states while they do a background ID, and some states have it immediately? As I see it now, today, anybody can go in and buy a drone, and go on their merry way.
Go out fly it 1700 ft AGL, and have fun, acting like complete idiots, while real pilots are taking emergency actions to avoid these pests, trying to land a full scale airliner filled with people? It's sad, but it will continue because nobody has made any conscious decisions or drafted any rules regarding this subject and or try to protect the AMA Pilots that usually follow the rules of Safety. The ones that don't are expelled, maybe that's what we are faced with??? I don't know.

Last edited by FLAPHappy; 08-01-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:01 PM
HoundDog

I said exactly that same thing "Not If, but When" Months ago ... I got laughed at They said a little 2 lb Drown couldn't hurt a big plane. I seriously Hope I don't have the last laugh.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:32 PM
FLAPHappy

I said exactly that same thing "Not If, but When" Months ago ... I got laughed at They said a little 2 lb Drown couldn't hurt a big plane. I seriously Hope I don't have the last laugh.
HD: You are not alone my friend. I have thought this from the beginning. Hopefully somebody will have an answer to this problem but it can not continue, and I hope the answer soon real soon, comes before somebody looses a life over this.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:42 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
HD: You are not alone my friend. I have thought this from the beginning. Hopefully somebody will have an answer to this problem but it can not continue, and I hope the answer soon real soon, comes before somebody looses a life over this.
Some How we have to get the AMA FAA and anyone else to Blanket the News Media that it is not only i itvery dangerous to fly Quads near airports and any where Full Scale planes or rotor craft and the like fly. Now how we do this your guess is as good as mine.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:39 PM
FLAPHappy

Some How we have to get the AMA FAA and anyone else to Blanket the News Media that it is not only i itvery dangerous to fly Quads near airports and any where Full Scale planes or rotor craft and the like fly. Now how we do this your guess is as good as mine.
HD: I will call the AMA Monday Morning, ask the questions on what to do, who to talk to, and What can be done.??? 3 important questions to ask them, and I do expect some kind of cooperation from them. I'll post it Monday after I speak with them. Not just one person but many, to get an answer. I am not trying to be a hero or anything associated with that mentality. I just want to try to get some rules answered, and legal issues resolved before somebody loses their life over stupidity created by someone else.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:51 PM
HoundDog

Any one else see the News spot on CBS news to night ... Long story short Home Land Security is now Officially warning that the bad guys will/are using Drones for more than surveillance.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/homeland...ed-in-attacks/
Old 08-01-2015, 03:28 PM
HoundDog

Google this very interesting ... I'd of never guessed there so many drones out there.

How many Drones have been sold
Old 08-01-2015, 04:15 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Any one else see the News spot on CBS news to night ... Long story short Home Land Security is now Officially warning that the bad guys will/are using Drones for more than surveillance.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/homeland...ed-in-attacks/
Pretty much the same warning that went out what, 3 or so years ago when the guys tried to use a ducted fan get for the same "alleged" purpose. I know one was a F-86, I think the other a F4.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:17 PM
porcia83
Banned

Google this very interesting ... I'd of never guessed there so many drones out there.

How many Drones have been sold
Gotta clearly define "drone" first.....DJI Phantom level as a starting point, or lower than that. Quad with camera? Either way, I'd guess hundreds of thousands.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:21 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
HD: I will call the AMA Monday Morning, ask the questions on what to do, who to talk to, and What can be done.??? 3 important questions to ask them, and I do expect some kind of cooperation from them. I'll post it Monday after I speak with them. Not just one person but many, to get an answer. I am not trying to be a hero or anything associated with that mentality. I just want to try to get some rules answered, and legal issues resolved before somebody loses their life over stupidity created by someone else.
A well intentioned thought, but it's been done already. AMA and FAA partnered to put this together. Hobby shops have it, it's posted on FAA and AMA websites, the main points about height and distance (400 feet, 5 miles from airport) are contained in many reports from the media. Not sure what else the AMA or FAA can do...who doesn't know that this is not a safe thing to do? They will simply not be able to make everyone understand this. Some who is intent on doing this is going to do this...regardless of the rules, laws, or potential consequences.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:33 PM
franklin_m

I'll make a prediction: It goes along the lines of the Amazon proposal...

200' AGL and below: hobby and non-commercial units w/o sophisticated sense and avoid technology (no flight in some areas, like cities)
200 AGL to 400 AGL: Commercial and non-commercial units with sophisticated sense and avoid technology
Nothing above 400' AGL unless in predefined low risk operating areas
Nothing within 5nm of towered field
Nothing under class "C" veil
Nothing under class "B" veil
Old 08-01-2015, 05:38 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I read elsewhere that the Delta flight was at 1400 to 1700 feet and the drone was only 100 feet below it. Supposedly they are built with a 400 foot altitude limit so someone is modifying them. And someone is telling people how to modify them Surely that wouldn't be a video on youtube would it?
Old 08-01-2015, 05:40 PM
porcia83
Banned

I'll make a prediction: It goes along the lines of the Amazon proposal...

200' AGL and below: hobby and non-commercial units w/o sophisticated sense and avoid technology (no flight in some areas, like cities)
200 AGL to 400 AGL: Commercial and non-commercial units with sophisticated sense and avoid technology
Nothing above 400' AGL unless in predefined low risk operating areas
Nothing within 5nm of towered field
Nothing under class "C" veil
Nothing under class "B" veil

Got a timeline on this happening?

My prediction....if that happens, someone in this thread is going to blame the AMA.

Seriously though....my prediction is that none of that will happen. The hobby (as we know it), will not be adversely affected, nothing burdensome or harsh will befall us, and the hobby will continue forward with all types of safe and responsible flying welcomed.

Let's put something on this...a friendly wager. Which ever of us comes closer to their prediction is crowned the Carnac of RC. RC Carnac is hosted in the other parties club as a guest flier, and has a nice lunch on the club, a regional favorite perhaps.

In the alternative, a donation to the RC Carnac's veterans charity of choice.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:44 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rgburrill
I read elsewhere that the Delta flight was at 1400 to 1700 feet and the drone was only 100 feet below it. Supposedly they are built with a 400 foot altitude limit so someone is modifying them. And someone is telling people how to modify them Surely that wouldn't be a video on youtube would it?
I don't own one or fly one, but I'm 99% sure there is no altitude limit programmed in to any of them. After the white house issues this and last year, I believe some of the manf's are programming code to not even let them take off at all within a certain distance of the white house. Problem is that will only take care of some of these, not all of them. Many of the folks flying these are well versed in programming, and don't rely on stock manf gear to get the up and running. I wouldn't doubt for a second someone had the technology to drop these things out of the skies with a button or two, but doubt it could be done easily without affecting other electronics.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:47 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

i can't help but think that this last drone idiot had his hands more than full trying to control/recover from the jet wake that big ole airliner dumped on him after passing that close over head,
Old 08-01-2015, 10:04 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by porcia83
I don't own one or fly one, but I'm 99% sure there is no altitude limit programmed in to any of them. After the white house issues this and last year, I believe some of the manf's are programming code to not even let them take off at all within a certain distance of the white house. Problem is that will only take care of some of these, not all of them. Many of the folks flying these are well versed in programming, and don't rely on stock manf gear to get the up and running. I wouldn't doubt for a second someone had the technology to drop these things out of the skies with a button or two, but doubt it could be done easily without affecting other electronics.
Correct, the majority of flight controllers on the market to do not have altitude limits built in.

In many of the DJI controllers you can manually set an altitude limit and it will not fly above this. In some of the newer machines like the P3 and Inspire the maximum altitude limit is hard set. They also have no fly zones built in and if the GPS detects you are in the No Fly Zone it won't allow you to start motors.

The only problem with that is the No Fly Zones programmed into the controllers do not reflect actual airspace or runway dimensions.

In many cases the runway ends are outside the NFZ built into the flight controller.

One example of this is Sydney Australia, note the runways are outside the red zone and therefore you could start and fly your quad above the runway itself

Another example - Tucson Arizona. No protection at all against flying over the runway ends.

A totally flawed implementation of a good idea in my opinion. The No Fly Zones should accurately reflect real control zones.

http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-08-02 at 3.59.55 PM.png
Views:	140
Size:	423.7 KB
ID:	2112380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-08-02 at 4.12.38 PM.png
Views:	89
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	2112382  

Last edited by Rob2160; 08-01-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:05 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the FAA needs to come out with some new rules one being no RC aircraft can operate within 10 miles of any airport at a altitude over 100 feet unless it is being operated from a designated RC flying site. Also they need to go after RC flyers that interferes
with full scale aircraft in any. The FAA need to get the word out if you are caught operating a RC craft and you are not at a RC site your RC gear could be confiscated on the spot and/or fined.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:57 AM
cloudancer03

Let's hope we can sues sully differentiate rc aircraft from drones to the American public and our legislators.10 years back I remember we invited our local state representative to our fly ins.he came.we showed him what it's all about
It worked.we need to educate officials to the hobby and ama could lead the campaign.sitting on the sideline watching a few idiots damage a great hobby is not going help us.maybe even demo small quad copter to show they can be flown responsibly and safely.we have a vested interest in all this mess
Let's get more active and be an agent for positive change.I guarantee you that more change is coming .if a drone collides with a plane and deaths occur.rest assured the restrictions will really kill rc .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.