Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 11:42 PM
dirtyoldman00
My Feedback: (100)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the 400 foot altitude law
Old 11-06-2014, 02:52 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by dirtyoldman00
What about the 400 foot altitude law
There is no 400 foot "law". Only an Advisory Circular, AC 91-57 published in 1981.

[ATTACH]2045312[/IMG]

Frank
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ac91-57.pdf (131.3 KB, 51 views)
Old 11-06-2014, 11:36 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Sure I condone dad ND son flying his quad near Disney world but won't if they hover it over the park with thousands under it.quad copter aren't people with unlimited rights.of course I reserve my right and if it flies over me I will simply kill it.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:14 PM
TimJ

ROFL! The first page of this threat is freaking funny as heck. Thanks LC. Never thought I would say that. BAHAHAHAH
Old 11-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A change for this specific forum, but because there are some differences, I just thought to drop in several THOUGHTS for all of you.

Th last chance to send in your ballot for those AMAers that are running for AMA Executive Council positions is TOMORROW, Nov. 07 '14, the last postmark that will be valid this year.

Think on some things completed in my past.

1. The AMA's National Model Aviation Museum and Research Library honored Horrace D. Cain with a plaque for "Sustaining Museum Patron" for 2014. (On my Wall)

2. A National Aviation Space and Exploration Wall of Honor plaque hangs on Horrace Cain's office wall. " National Aviation and Space Exploration Wall of Honor" ......" in testament for your outstanding support in helping to create the ............"

3. A Plaque for Second Amendment Task Force honors Horrace D. Cain's wall, Task Force Leadership, Defense of all citizens the right to bear ARMS (2nd Amendment). (Considerably more)

4.Picture Plaque, with Annual Cards showing 1995 FOUNDING Member, annual cards as Sustaining Member through 2014, "The American Air Museum in Britain".

There are a number of other plaques that I do not display, but these I do. "Eighth Air Force, Outstanding Crew, May 1960". South East Texas War Bird Rally, Oct. 24 & 25 2014. 2 days as Flight line Boss! See, Still in there!

There are so many family things that I keep; From my Eight year old Grand Daughter: Picture and plaque with us sharing an Ice-Cream soda: "To the world you are one person, but to me you are the WORLD." That's a tear jerky.

So fellows and ladies: I do hope I get the next term to assist some serious things that the AMA MEMBERSHIP really needs to get set for them, the membership. It's YOUR membership, and IMO not just a place for the staff to play and stay getting a paycheck. Bye BYE for now!

Last edited by Hossfly; 11-06-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:33 PM
smeckert

Hossfly,
Maybe get a drone to drop leaflets everywhere. Maybe a whole fleet of them!
Old 11-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smeckert
Hossfly,
Maybe get a drone to drop leaflets everywhere. Maybe a whole fleet of them!
No need to mess up the grounds with scattered paper. I do better cleaning up property than scattering garbage.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:01 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

We don't need regulations on quads or RC. We need enforcement of existing laws against endangering man carrying aircraft. Put the little punk in jail for six months and give it lots of publicity and the problem will be solved.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:32 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by jester_s1
We don't need regulations on quads or RC. We need enforcement of existing laws against endangering man carrying aircraft. Put the little punk in jail for six months and give it lots of publicity and the problem will be solved.
I don't think you understand the situation.

First, there will be no regulation of recreational model aviation as long as we abide by the safety guidelines published by the AMA or any other suitable group (At present, there are no others that I know of).

Second, only those model airplane pilots who actually endanger the NAS will be subjected to existing regulations as best suited to the situation.

Third, any new regulations will apply only to commercial or public service UAS operations in the NAS.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:32 PM
JohnShe

First, there will be no regulation of recreational model aviation as long as we abide by the safety guidelines published by the AMA or any other suitable group (At present, there are no others that I know of).

Second, only those model airplane pilots who actually endanger the NAS will be subjected to existing regulations as best suited to the situation.

Third, any new regulations will apply only to commercial or public service UAS operations in the NAS.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:40 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are so correct.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:46 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by JohnShe

First of there will never be 100% compliance with any law, Second the new regulations that the FAA wants to bring about will effect even people that are not
endangering the NAS. Third I have yet to see where the FAA had said the only commercial operation will be effected.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:56 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by ira d
First of there will never be 100% compliance with any law, Second the new regulations that the FAA wants to bring about will effect even people that are not
endangering the NAS. Third I have yet to see where the FAA had said the only commercial operation will be effected.
Compliance is irrelevant, it will be after the fact, or post ipso facto, punishment. Do something stupid or malicious and you get punished if they can catch you.

You should read the FAA press releases and publications. The have divided drones up into three basic classes, recreational, commercial and public service. They have a a road map and detailed plans that lay out their intent to fulfill the terms of the modernization act.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:56 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You cannot legislate common sense unfortunately
Old 11-06-2014, 06:24 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Since we are on the subject does anyone know what kind of equipment is necessary to set a FPV plane like this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5i6FU538eA
Old 11-06-2014, 06:57 PM
BobbyMcGee

Have ya' seen this??

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/drone-sav...935642539.html

Just in case the link is broken in the future, here's the article;

It turns out drones can be used for more than wedding videos, champagne delivery, and Martha Stewart's amusement. On Tuesday, a window washer in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, was 10 floors up the side of a skyscraper when his lift malfunctioned. As the English news blog "Seven Days in Dubai" reports, police were called to the scene and deployed a drone to help him.
According to one of the officials who came to his aid, the window washer attempted to leave the faulty platform he was working on and was holding onto a window in fear. After clearing out the area, police flew a drone owned by the Abu Dhabi Police (apparently this is a thing that police departments own now) up to where the man was stuck.
Officials used the drone’s microphone to first “calm down the cleaner.” Then, using a camera attached to the flying robot, they identified what exactly was wrong with the rig. After that, the emergency crew on site instructed the worker how to fix the platform. He made it to the ground safely.
Though the United States still faces conflicting policies regarding the legality of drone use, Dubai’s ruler, Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, has embraced the machines as helpful high-tech tools.
“We want to reach to people before they reach us,” he said when he announced the United Arab Emirates’ Drones for Good award in February 2014. “We want to save time, to shorten distances, to increase effectiveness, and to make services easier.”
The Drones for Good competition awarded $1 million to international contestants, and 1 million United Arab Emirates dirham ($272,000) to local and UAE government employees for innovation in the drone space that helps “improve people’s lives and provide positive technological solutions to modern day issues.”

Last edited by BobbyMcGee; 11-06-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:02 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

^^Wow^^ who knew drones don't just spy on people but can save lives.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:26 PM
BobbyMcGee

And you can enter a contest for the best use of a drone for humanitarian purposes and win a million dollars!!! Who knew!!
Old 11-06-2014, 07:51 PM
Billy J
My Feedback: (4)

each drone sold should be mandatory to have ama insurance x 10 $$$ and flight lessons with certified instructors !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2014, 08:03 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

That may be where it winds up, Billy J. If the FAA decides at some point that a license should be required to fly an FPV or AP vehicle, there will be mandatory training for it.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:18 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by JohnShe
Compliance is irrelevant, it will be after the fact, or post ipso facto, punishment. Do something stupid or malicious and you get punished if they can catch you.

You should read the FAA press releases and publications. The have divided drones up into three basic classes, recreational, commercial and public service. They have a a road map and detailed plans that lay out their intent to fulfill the terms of the modernization act.
If the FAA had said that models operated for recreation would not be effected by their new rules there would not be all these pages of discussion on the subject nor
would the AMA be suing the FAA.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:48 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem in the case of FPV is that models for recreation are, as of the proposed new rules, going to be held to a stricter standard than full scale aircraft. According to the proposed rules the pilot controlling the aircraft has to have positive line of sight, so no FPV control even with a safety pilot on a buddy box. Full scale pilots however can fly solely by reference to instruments (IFR) using VFR rules if they have a safety pilot that has a set of controls (buddy box?) and is licensed and rated in the aircraft. Right there they are ignoring the guidlines set forth by congress by creating a rule specific to models. Also according to the proposed rules model flying would be impossible as they specifically state that models must abide by FAR part 91 and it would be impossible for us to abide by the 500' from persons, vessles, vehicles, or structures rule. That is unless I missed a rewording of the original document.

Last edited by cfircav8r; 11-06-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:02 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by Billy J
each drone sold should be mandatory to have ama insurance x 10 $$$ and flight lessons with certified instructors !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So the government should mandate membership in a private organization and to pay for a required amount of insurance? Were you an author of Obamacare because what you are asking for is Obamadrone!

And BTW everything we fly as model aircraft IS A DRONE. Now we will probably need to get into what features make a model aircraft a DRONE, just like how to distinguish a hunting rifle from an assault weapon.

DOES ANYBODY HERE NOT LEARN FROM HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2014, 06:26 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Aircraft windshields are made of plastic to save on weight.
Aircraft windshields are made of Lexan not plastic
Old 11-07-2014, 06:28 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Got space? I have nearby thousands of sq, miles of Sonoran desert to lose myself in with my model airplanes. More protection of my right to fly than any organization can/will offer. How about you?
OK great! so go lose yourself!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.