Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 05:26 AM
phlpsfrnk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha
It's simple mathematics. I know the exact altitude that I am ASL, so therefore, I subtract my ASL. Why use ASL...well, If I were an actual pilot in an airplane, I'd use both, MSL, as well as ASL, to keep track of how high AGL, I were actually flying. Being that land mass varies, as you fly over it. Well, same with an rc airplane, except, I don't fly CC, but instead, vertically above me, were the land isn't dramatically varying. So again, just a matter of simple mathematics. Well, hope that helps you out?! Have a pleasant day!
Max,
It's your lie so you can tell it any way you want. I do have an airman certificate and the training that it requires plus I've worked in the aviation and air traffic control industry for many years. There is only one thing you are more full of than yourself so you too sir, have a nice day.

Frank

Last edited by phlpsfrnk; 11-11-2014 at 09:01 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 11-11-2014, 05:49 AM
bradpaul

Boy you 1/4 scale Cub flyers that fly the pattern really do want the club field all to yourself......................... no quad copters, or other FPV, no gliders, no turbine jets, no aerobatic pattern flying......................... just round and round we go, all below 400' as that is as far as the cataracts let you see.

(BTW as for full disclosure I am 66 years old and do fly 1/4 scale warbirds)
Old 11-11-2014, 06:11 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Boy you 1/4 scale Cub flyers that fly the pattern really do want the club field all to yourself......................... no quad copters, or other FPV, no gliders, no turbine jets, no aerobatic pattern flying......................... just round and round we go, all below 400' as that is as far as the cataracts let you see.

Hey Brad,
Knowing what type of war birds you like the most check out calendar number 3.

http://www.warbirddepot.com/desktop_calendars.asp

Frank
Old 11-11-2014, 07:48 AM
TimJ

What we have here, is a case of R/C Snobbery
Old 11-11-2014, 08:05 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
Hey Brad,
Knowing what type of war birds you like the most check out calendar number 3.

http://www.warbirddepot.com/desktop_calendars.asp

Frank
very nice! thanks
Old 11-11-2014, 12:19 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

tell the hobby shops to stop seeling the drones or u will stop buying from them
Old 11-11-2014, 01:12 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bradpaul

Can't forget prohibition on 3D flying...NO 3D flying!

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Like it's not hard enough for the LHS to stay in business, let's force them to stop selling the most popular RC item out there right now. A win for all the online vendors, and another hurdle for the local guy to jump. Let's punish everyone for the actions of a few.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:40 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
First you have to define a drone I think any RC craft could be called a drone, But in any case I would never try to tell a store
what they can or can't sell. Nor would I not by from a store if it was in my best interest to do so just because I don't like what
they sell.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:31 PM
thepamster

Originally Posted by ira d
First you have to define a drone I think any RC craft could be called a drone.
My definition of a drone is "any unmanned aircraft that performs a job, duty, or task" . This would mean airial photography, video recording, moving objects from point A to point B, etc. Writing regulations that would define those tasks maybe be tricky but not impossible.

Parkzone Radian with camera:drone
Parkzone Radian without camera:Not a drone
Extra 300 without camera:Not a drone
Extra 300 with Camera: drone
Senior Telemaster towing up a sailplane: drone
Sailplane being towed by Senior Telemaster:Not a drone
Senior Telemaster doing an egg drop: drone

We may need to compromise on what qualifies as a drone to make certain what does qualify as a "model airplane".

Last edited by thepamster; 11-11-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:52 PM
rrembert

Here are some of the concerns I would have based on the information available so far...IF max is flying in the area pictured from phlpsfrnk's post, and based on his answer to my question to him earlier I think he IS operating there, he is a) operating in a Victor airway. b) several of the videos show the Radian flown either above clouds or in poor visibility. That would make it even tougher for a full sized plane or helicopter to see (and avoid). I fly for a living...this situation gives me the willies...if I operated in that area I would be concerned enough as a professional pilot to have it investigated further officially. With the data so far it seems pretty irresponsible and potentially dangerous. Scotty max...just my 2c.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:56 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by thepamster
My definition of a drone is "any unmanned aircraft that performs a job, duty, or task" . This would mean airial photography, video recording, moving objects from point A to point B, etc. Writing regulations that would define those tasks maybe be tricky but not impossible.

Parkzone Radian with camera:drone
Parkzone Radian without camera:Not a drone
Extra 300 without camera:Not a drone
Extra 300 with Camera: drone
Senior Telemaster towing up a sailplane: drone
Sailplane being towed by Senior Telemaster:Not a drone
Senior Telemaster doing an egg drop: drone

We may need to compromise on what qualifies as a drone to make certain what does qualify as a "model airplane".
Nope, not even close.

A drone is an unmanned aircraft of any size or purpose that is either remote controlled or operating autonomously.

The military uses drones. Model aircraft of all types (even free-flight rubber band powered) are drones. Section 366 of the 2012 FAA Modernization Act differentiates model airplanes from drones by special definition. To wit:

(c) MODEL AIRCRAFT DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘‘model aircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is—
(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;
(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating
the aircraft; and
(3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes.

It is a model airplane and free from FAA regulation if it meets this definition and satisfies the terms of the special rule for model aircraft (section 336).
Old 11-11-2014, 04:23 PM
thepamster

I know what the law says and what it is suppose to mean. But thanks for pointing it out to me anyway.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rrembert
Here are some of the concerns I would have based on the information available so far...IF max is flying in the area pictured from phlpsfrnk's post, and based on his answer to my question to him earlier I think he IS operating there, he is a) operating in a Victor airway. b) several of the videos show the Radian flown either above clouds or in poor visibility. That would make it even tougher for a full sized plane or helicopter to see (and avoid). I fly for a living...this situation gives me the willies...if I operated in that area I would be concerned enough as a professional pilot to have it investigated further officially. With the data so far it seems pretty irresponsible and potentially dangerous. Scotty max...just my 2c.
From 3000 feet an airport within 5 miles would be visable. No airport is seen in the video's I saw.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:50 PM
Maximilionalpha

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
From 3000 feet an airport within 5 miles would be visable. No airport is seen in the video's I saw.
There's no airport within 7 miles of me and the one that is, is a very small airport. What we've got here, is a failure to communicate!

Last edited by RCKen; 11-13-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:09 PM
Maximilionalpha

I see that there are people here, that are very quick to make assumptions, rather than knowing facts. Would it not occur to some of you naysayers, that during my time of high flying adventures, that I would've gotten to know the local airport officials, Fire Chiefs,Park Officials and other important officials in and around my area and they of me and what I do? You naysayers, should do like others, who know potential when they see it, and follow me,(like many others, like Perlan Project), also do, on twitter! Now, lets all enjoy what we do best and keep things, nice and friendly. Remember...I can make your club, or I can break it!
Old 11-11-2014, 07:10 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

^^lol^^

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 11-11-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:20 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

I see that there are people here, that are very quick to make assumptions, rather than knowing facts. Would it not occur to some of you naysayers, that during my time of high flying adventures, that I would've gotten to know the local airport officials, Fire Chiefs,Park Officials and other important officials in and around my area and they of me and what I do? You naysayers, should do like others, who know potential when they see it, and follow me,(like many others, like Perlan Project), also do, on twitter! Now, lets all enjoy what we do best and keep things, nice and friendly. Remember...I can make your club, or I can break it!
Max,I wrote you a PM, also deleted part of a post that was inappropiate. I also apologize for that comment and to others it may have offended. My temper got carried away, so thats it.
Now I have a question for you, I did look at your profile, it shows you are in Lewiston, PA. My question, in all of your posts, it shows your location in the same town I live in, Lapine OR? So if you live in my town I should possibly know you right? If not, the why do you have 2 different locations on RCU?.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:27 AM
Maximilionalpha

I sometimes fly at Agate Skyways, before anyone else get's there.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:30 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by rrembert
Yes, he is flying from the park outlined below which is easily identified from his videos. Yes, Victor 33 to be exact. For those that don't know and max who obviously doesn't care a Victor airway starts at 1,200 feet AGL and extends 4NM to either side and is used for low-level IFR and VFR traffic. He is clearly flying in an area used by both IFR and VFR traffic but as I said he doesn't care. This is exactly the activity that the FAA is concerned about as well they should be. It should also be of great concern to the AMA but with the current administration I do not get the sense that is the case.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lewistown.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	2046846  

Last edited by phlpsfrnk; 11-12-2014 at 03:53 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:19 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hereby define drone to be:

1.) Any remotely piloted or autonomous aircraft used as a target vehicle
2.) Any remotely or autonomous piloted aircraft armed with a weapons system.
3.) Any remotely or autonomous piloted aircraft flown by military or government or organizations hired by military or government for surveillance purposes.

That is as good as anybody else' definition.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:05 AM
ncsky

Just saw this story in area news. Seems like this school club was trying to do things responsibly, and for educational purposes. I do think there needs to be a place for all this new technology in our science programs and as a country. Never a good idea to squelch innovation etc... I do think the definitions of the rules etc... need to be made simple and clear, with leeway for schools, and hobbyist.

Here are the two links to the story:
http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/11/...-and.html?rh=1

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/11/...e-program.html
Old 11-12-2014, 05:07 AM
Sport_Pilot

So where is it written that he should avoid the airway's? They are not really used much for VFR flight so air travel at that altitude would be small during a clear day. VFR pilots will use any VOR rou8t that they find convenient. In fact I would often avoid them as there is a little more traffic.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:08 AM
phlpsfrnk

I see that there are people here, that are very quick to make assumptions, rather than knowing facts. Would it not occur to some of you naysayers, that during my time of high flying adventures, that I would've gotten to know the local airport officials, Fire Chiefs,Park Officials and other important officials in and around my area and they of me and what I do?
Care to name any of those officials because I for one cannot believe any FAA airport official is telling you it's okay to do what you do.
You naysayers, should do like others, who know potential when they see it, and follow me,(like many others, like Perlan Project), also do, on twitter!
How ludicrous of you to compare what you do to the Perlan Project. You are so far out of their class it's laughable.
Now, lets all enjoy what we do best and keep things, nice and friendly. Remember...I can make your club, or I can break it!
How do you propose to carry out a threat like that?

Frank

Last edited by phlpsfrnk; 11-12-2014 at 05:22 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-12-2014, 05:20 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
So where is it written that he should avoid the airway's? They are not really used much for VFR flight so air travel at that altitude would be small during a clear day. VFR pilots will use any VOR rou8t that they find convenient. In fact I would often avoid them as there is a little more traffic.
All the more reason for someone claiming some false altitude records to avoid them also.

Frank
Old 11-12-2014, 05:33 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
All the more reason for someone claiming some false altitude records to avoid them also.

Frank
My edit never went through. I would avoid them flying cross country above 3000 AGL as I would not want to be flying through airport control areas. So there is almost no traffic at 3,000 feet. Also there is no rule against what he is doing, and he can easily dive and fly away from any approaching aircraft. As far as flying above clouds, if he maintains visual contact then that is also OK.

Short get off your high horse and understand we need less rules not more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.