Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Old 11-13-2014, 12:05 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
Yes the pilot is the weakest link but I don't think we are ready for flying from point A to point B by autonomous computer flying, at least not yet. Although there's always room for improvement, what would those stats be without the current level of training in the US? Another stat that I was told during my training was that a large percentage of the part 91 fatalities were pilots with less than 200 hours flight time. Like the saying goes "there are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are few old bold pilots"

Frank
Right On, Frank. The old joke goes like this: Airplane makes its take-off, and all stuff (gear, flaps, climb speed, etc.) gets cleaned up. The Speaker comes on. "Congratulations, Folks. We are happy to have you on board. You are the first group of air-travelers to fly without any pilots on board. Do not worry as absolutely nothing can go wrong, ...go wrong ...go wrong...go wrong...go wrong...go wrong>>>>>>>>>"
Old 11-13-2014, 12:06 PM
bradpaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnShe
That chart is really fascinating. Tell me, how many drones, of any type, were being flown by civilians for recreation or commercial purposes before the year 2000? I think I see a flaw in your reasoning.
Why John every single RC model aircraft flown before the year 2000 WAS A DRONE. Need I mention how many times you have stated that all RC model aircraft are drones? The only incident I know concerning a collision between a DRONE and full scale was a large 3D model and a full scale biplane a few years ago. Here is a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoZD9pczEVs#t=165

So having a drone purchaser read a brochure would not count as a reasonable effort towards pilot training?
A typical liberal feel good solution solves nothing. And considering the level of reading comprehension taught in today's schools it would need to be a comic book.

Last edited by bradpaul; 11-13-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:13 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I have been flying my drones since 1976. Earlier than that if you include tethered drones.
Good point, but you fly your drone by AMA guidelines, just like I do, and the rest of us on this forum (I hope). And because of us and many more like us, the AMA has a fantastic safety record. But, recently it seems that these drones have hit the toy stores and just about every idiot and jerk you can think of has bought one and used it to create a safety hazard, are they on the chart?
Old 11-13-2014, 12:16 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Heck...women show up at the field all the time...they just like to pose as men. LOL

H C S, there are women that show up at my fields fairly often. Most are definitely providing NO DOUBT that they are women. BTW, I seldom go to the field on cold days!
Old 11-13-2014, 12:17 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Why John every single RC model aircraft flown before the year 2000 WAS A DRONE. Need I mention how many times you have stated that all RC model aircraft are drones? The only incident I know concerning a collision between a DRONE and full scale was a large 3D model and a full scale biplane a few years ago. Here is a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoZD9pczEVs#t=165
Seen the video many times, a lot of stupid things were done that day.

A typical liberal feel good solution solves nothing. And considering the level of reading comprehension taught in today's schools it would need to be a comic book.

LOL! I don't know how some people even get by. And you are right, gun safety training doesen't help either, look at how many people shoot themselves just cleaning their weapon.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:29 PM
bradpaul

LOL! I don't know how some people even get by. And you are right, gun safety training doesen't help either, look at how many people shoot themselves just cleaning their weapon.
How about drivers licenses? There is a required written test, and a driving test............................................ and guess what the idiots still have accidents.

Maybe a warning label on drones like we have on cigarettes, or the warning labels on beer and alcohol................. ????????????????? Yeah that would make some feel good.

As for the morons that shoot themselves while cleaning their gun, well Darwin had it right and the gene pool is improved.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point, but you fly your drone by AMA guidelines, just like I do, and the rest of us on this forum (I hope).
Actually it was several years before I even knew about the AMA.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:13 PM
Kbmerrill

It's clowns like this that are the problem they have no idea that the AMA even exists http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/13/7...e-with-a-drone
Old 11-13-2014, 03:20 PM
YellowBlueBird

http://www.wral.com/green-hope-high-...ning/14160759/

How does protecting the national airspace extend to banning a drone flown by a highschool group with the support of the teaching staff. This is educational. Protecting the people is the responsibility of the local authority. I did not see the event but it is unlikely that they flew above the stadium lights. This high school field is no where near the 30,000 seats mentioned in the FAA's latest rule. It would be reasonable to restrict the craft to areas that were not over people. Such as the end zone away from the bleachers. Looks like too much government.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:34 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
"Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., said the "reckless operation of drones, whether near airports or anywhere else, is a serious threat to public safety."

"We shouldn't wait for a major disaster to take action to protect the airspace," she told the AP"

Frank
I can't see how she will be truly effective in controlling who has access to RC drones. From that statement, would she want to regulate recreational flyers at clubs, too? We will have to wait and see, of course. The AMA may not be that big, but it has proven its self to be capable of forming a strong lobby, and for this reason I seriously doubt she'll succeed.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:04 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by YellowBlueBird
http://www.wral.com/green-hope-high-...ning/14160759/

How does protecting the national airspace extend to banning a drone flown by a highschool group with the support of the teaching staff. This is educational. Protecting the people is the responsibility of the local authority. I did not see the event but it is unlikely that they flew above the stadium lights. This high school field is no where near the 30,000 seats mentioned in the FAA's latest rule. It would be reasonable to restrict the craft to areas that were not over people. Such as the end zone away from the bleachers. Looks like too much government.
So, what is the minimum number of people that you can fly a drone over? BTW: my minimum is one.

It would not have been so bad if the school wasn't teaching them to do stupid things.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:05 PM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
I can't see how she will be truly effective in controlling who has access to RC drones. From that statement, would she want to regulate recreational flyers at clubs, too? We will have to wait and see, of course. The AMA may not be that big, but it has proven its self to be capable of forming a strong lobby, and for this reason I seriously doubt she'll succeed.
I didn't think she said anything about controlling access to drones. She seemed to be expressing a concern that is on the minds of far to many people. Something has to be done, but what?
Old 11-13-2014, 05:08 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

So, what is the minimum number of people that you can fly a drone over? BTW: my minimum is one.

It would not have been so bad if the school wasn't teaching them to do stupid things.
HMMM...need at least one???
Old 11-13-2014, 05:10 PM
littlecrankshaf

I didn't think she said anything about controlling access to drones. She seemed to be expressing a concern that is on the minds of far to many people. Something has to be done, but what?
Hard to understand anyone that would defend that bit...Oh...witch...
Old 11-13-2014, 05:16 PM
littlecrankshaf

HMMM...I think I solved it!!!

Since mankind has been enjoying the pursuits of manned aviation for well over a century now, only a blink of the eye in the grand scheme things in regards to our existence on this planet and since we have plenty of aircraft to model now, we should just ban most manned flight...all except absolutely essential flight...just not sure what that is though, since we lived a long time on this planet without such...
Old 11-13-2014, 05:24 PM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

Wall Street Journal ... a couple of days ago.... the story of the Chinese company that makes the DJI Phantom.... worth a read. Given the tens of thousands of these flying, a few incidents are bound to happen, are they not? Just the sheer weight of numbers....
Old 11-13-2014, 05:36 PM
Rob2160

I was flying a large quad in my local park this morning, I fly there several times a week, always mid week when nobody else is around.

The local council were trimming trees in the car park and when I landed one of them walked over to me. He was friendly and made general chit chat about the quad, then he told me they have been instructed to request people to stop flying if there are other people in the park.

I told him I agree 100% with that for safety reasons and that I only fly when the park is unused. He smiled and everybody was happy, I kept flying and he went about his business.

I could have been confrontational and quoted him the CASA advisory but that would have created a negative attitude in him when it was totally unnecessary.

Last edited by Rob2160; 11-13-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:25 PM
thepamster

I don't believe the school nor the students felt they were doing anything wrong. They were just recording a high school event. Its not like they were on a field trip at an airport and buzzing the incoming flight traffic.
A little education here could go a long way where as an all out ban does nothing and nobody learns anything. If schools were taught how to do this type of activity correctly and safely the do's and don't may trickle down into society as well as the media.
This would be a great way for local AMA clubs to get some visability to get involved and help schools with these types of programs except for the fact that there is an apparent dismissal of acceptance of drones and an us and them attitude.
Just a thought.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:43 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Why John every single RC model aircraft flown before the year 2000 WAS A DRONE. Need I mention how many times you have stated that all RC model aircraft are drones?
Yep. I've flown countless hours of RC and have never flown a purpose built drone. I've also witnessed countless other RC planes being flown and have never witnessed drone style flying.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:36 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by thepamster
I don't believe the school nor the students felt they were doing anything wrong. They were just recording a high school event. Its not like they were on a field trip at an airport and buzzing the incoming flight traffic.
A little education here could go a long way where as an all out ban does nothing and nobody learns anything. If schools were taught how to do this type of activity correctly and safely the do's and don't may trickle down into society as well as the media.
This would be a great way for local AMA clubs to get some visability to get involved and help schools with these types of programs except for the fact that there is an apparent dismissal of acceptance of drones and an us and them attitude.
Just a thought.
Flying over a crowd is a stupid thing. And yes, I strongly agree, AMA involvement would be a great thing. By teaching the principles of safe operation, everyone would benefit.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:17 AM
YellowBlueBird

Do we know that they flew over the crowd? An aerial view shows one end of he field to be open, the back side is mostly trees with a short section of bleachers on the 50 yard line. The point that I was trying to make has to do with the FAA's limits. This is a model being used for educational purposes. Isn't that what congress told them to leave alone?
Old 11-14-2014, 05:49 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by YellowBlueBird
Do we know that they flew over the crowd? An aerial view shows one end of he field to be open, the back side is mostly trees with a short section of bleachers on the 50 yard line. The point that I was trying to make has to do with the FAA's limits. This is a model being used for educational purposes. Isn't that what congress told them to leave alone?
Good point YBB, it is not at all clear what was really happening. But, going anywhere near a populated stadium with a toy like that is very risky.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:25 AM
bradpaul

number of injuries per year from fights in the stands?
number of injuries per year from muggings in the parking lot of the stadium?
number of injuries per year on the playing field?
number of injuries from fpv drones?

some here just need to hide in their bedroom under the covers
Old 11-14-2014, 06:45 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Yep. I've flown countless hours of RC and have never flown a purpose built drone. I've also witnessed countless other RC planes being flown and have never witnessed drone style flying.
Here's something cool to try , cause I did this and was rather surprised at the results .

I asked 10 random aquaintances who don't know I'm into model planes , people like the guy I see at the deli each week and so forth , this one question ;

"Gee , ya sure see a lot of drone talk in the news lately , what do you think the difference is between a drone and a model plane ?"

and SEVEN out of ten came back with some form of "a drone has a job to do and a model plane is for fun" ..... 7 out of 10 !!!!! .... Now , I did not "coach" anyone nor ask the question in a "leading" way , I asked it simply as stated above . And so the general consensus of the small group of "civilians" asked agreed with CP and I that , despite some of the nonsense being posted earlier here , there really IS a clear cut difference between what a drone VS model plane is . This public perception of our model planes NOT being drones is well to our benefit and needs no blurring by folks who should know better than to be forcefully trying to associate the RC hobby with drone activity !
Old 11-14-2014, 07:43 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by init4fun
Here's something cool to try , cause I did this and was rather surprised at the results .

I asked 10 random aquaintances who don't know I'm into model planes , people like the guy I see at the deli each week and so forth , this one question ;

"Gee , ya sure see a lot of drone talk in the news lately , what do you think the difference is between a drone and a model plane ?"

and SEVEN out of ten came back with some form of "a drone has a job to do and a model plane is for fun" ..... 7 out of 10 !!!!! .... Now , I did not "coach" anyone nor ask the question in a "leading" way , I asked it simply as stated above . And so the general consensus of the small group of "civilians" asked agreed with CP and I that , despite some of the nonsense being posted earlier here , there really IS a clear cut difference between what a drone VS model plane is . This public perception of our model planes NOT being drones is well to our benefit and needs no blurring by folks who should know better than to be forcefully trying to associate the RC hobby with drone activity !
init,

Don't go on shattering the foundation and the basis that the better than thou super righteous quad haters have built their cases on... They really think they are the only ones intelligent enough to differentiate model airplanes from task driven drones. Heck, even some the self professed forum experts and prolific posting idiots think model airplanes and drones are one in the same... With those types of goof-ball advocates on our side, we really do have problem...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.