Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 08:30 AM
ncsky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowBlueBird
http://www.wral.com/green-hope-high-...ning/14160759/

How does protecting the national airspace extend to banning a drone flown by a highschool group with the support of the teaching staff. This is educational. Protecting the people is the responsibility of the local authority. I did not see the event but it is unlikely that they flew above the stadium lights. This high school field is no where near the 30,000 seats mentioned in the FAA's latest rule. It would be reasonable to restrict the craft to areas that were not over people. Such as the end zone away from the bleachers. Looks like too much government.
I would. definitely agree. I believe this is an example of some very negative knee-jerk reaction by theFAA and it seems some in the county school administration. I really. hope the FAA, Congress etc.get a better, realistic handle on the whole UAS side of things. It would be a great shame to stifle the educational/scientific and economic side of UAS.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:07 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by bradpaul
number of injuries per year from fights in the stands?
number of injuries per year from muggings in the parking lot of the stadium?
number of injuries per year on the playing field?
number of injuries from fpv drones?

some here just need to hide in their bedroom under the covers
So, are you saying it is OK to injure someone with a drone?
Old 11-14-2014, 09:10 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by init4fun
Here's something cool to try , cause I did this and was rather surprised at the results .

I asked 10 random aquaintances who don't know I'm into model planes , people like the guy I see at the deli each week and so forth , this one question ;

"Gee , ya sure see a lot of drone talk in the news lately , what do you think the difference is between a drone and a model plane ?"

and SEVEN out of ten came back with some form of "a drone has a job to do and a model plane is for fun" ..... 7 out of 10 !!!!! .... Now , I did not "coach" anyone nor ask the question in a "leading" way , I asked it simply as stated above . And so the general consensus of the small group of "civilians" asked agreed with CP and I that , despite some of the nonsense being posted earlier here , there really IS a clear cut difference between what a drone VS model plane is . This public perception of our model planes NOT being drones is well to our benefit and needs no blurring by folks who should know better than to be forcefully trying to associate the RC hobby with drone activity !
Well, a model airplane is a type of drone. By definition, a model airplane is a drone operated for recreational purposes. The problem with your question is the people you talk to are not using a standard definition of drone or model airplane, so you little poll is utterly flawed. Had you started with standard definitions, you would have received quite different answers.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:18 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
init,

Don't go on shattering the foundation and the basis that the better than thou super righteous quad haters have built their cases on... They really think they are the only ones intelligent enough to differentiate model airplanes from task driven drones. Heck, even some the self professed forum experts and prolific posting idiots think model airplanes and drones are one in the same... With those types of goof-ball advocates on our side, we really do have problem...
I have no recollection of encountering any super righteous quad haters in this thread or even this forum. Perhaps you could cite a few posts that would demonstrate your belief. I perceive that a quaddie is just another type of model airplane. I think that those who buy them for recreational purpose could have a lot of safe fun with them if they were properly educated.

By definition, a model airplane is a type of drone, what more can I say. And why are you so upset about it?
Old 11-14-2014, 09:37 AM
thepamster

Originally Posted by JohnShe
I perceive that a quaddie is just another type of model airplane.
What is it a model of?
Old 11-14-2014, 09:43 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

[QUOTE=JohnShe;11917722]Well, a model airplane is a type of drone. By definition, a model airplane is a drone operated for recreational purposes. The problem with your question is the people you talk to are not using a standard definition of drone or model airplane, so you little poll is utterly flawed. Had you started with standard definitions, you would have received quite different answers.[/QUOTE

Sorry Mr. She , but it is you who are in error , and the majority of my little poll outweighs your demands to re purpose the word .

For FAR longer than there have been "aircraft" , of ANY type , the word "Drone" meant a worker bee .... A WORKER bee . as in , one with a specific job within the hive , and most certainly was NOT a bee created "just for the fun of being a bee" !!!!!! . Why do you think mindless drudgery is called slangly "Drone's work" ???

PS , guys like LCS have more model aircraft smarts in their little fingers than you display in ANY of your posts , so please knock off the superior attitude as it does nothing but make you look the part of the fool . You can jerk around with definitions all ya want , but to the majority of folks I'VE spoken with , the meaning of "Drone" has been clearly defined as a remotely piloted aircraft WITH A JOB TO DO , and just being an amusement for FUN ain't exactly considered a job where I come from .

Last edited by init4fun; 11-14-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:20 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

And now that I'm done with dinking around with definitions , let me say this ;

I have nothing at all against AMA condoned FPV as laid out in doc. 550 . These ARE model aircraft just as much as turbines and blimps and anything else flown for fun within AMA guidelines . We have a pretty darned good set of operating conditions set out in the AMA safety code and I for one am happy to follow them . Since FPV is a condoned mode of model flight , we should support that right alongside all the other modeling uses .

Now Drones , you know , the Commercial use of our co existing technology , those scare the hell outta me !

And the reason is , that I think our leaders of our MODELING based organization have smelled GIGA $$$$ in the future of drone operations , and wants IN on the act . We as modelers , who are too buisy territorial pissing over the definitions of words , are surely gonna loose out when we eventually loose our "voice" (the AMA) to the big business of the corporate operations . The AMA is a HOBBIEST organization , why should non hobby use (DRONES) be of any concern of our's in the first place ? Isn't that what Sen. Imhoff was trying to do , keep us from getting sucked up by the regulatory cluster*** that will be coming to commercial operators ?
Old 11-14-2014, 10:24 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by thepamster
What is it a model of?
A military or police drone, which makes it a "warbird"
Old 11-14-2014, 10:32 AM
thepamster

A military or police drone, which makes it a "warbird"
I am not sure whether that was suppose to be funny or not. I don't think I have ever seen one entered in a Scale Masters event.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:37 AM
bradpaul

The problem with a definition based on task based use is that it gets murky and requires evidence into the intent of the pilot.

A Senior Telemaster dropping candy to promote a local hobby shop? MA or DRONE
A quadcopter taking a video of the flying field (following AMA Doc 550)? MA or DRONE
A sponsored pilot doing initial flight testing for his employer? MA or DRONE
Competing with a giant scale EDGE in a flying competition that has a significant in value prize? MA or DRONE
Old 11-14-2014, 10:39 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

By definition, a model airplane is a type of drone, what more can I say. And why are you so upset about it?
In just one sentence you illuminate our and my problem... Guys like you want to tie us to terminology that will suck us into the black hole of government idiocy... Why not just reject that drone headed mentality?? Maybe you just can't help yourself...been on the teet too long??? Hmmm... maybe you are a drone...LOL
Old 11-14-2014, 10:41 AM
bradpaul

I am not sure whether that was suppose to be funny or not. I don't think I have ever seen one entered in a Scale Masters event.
So what would you say about a 40% scale model of a Predator? The AMA NATS in the scale heli class was won a few years ago with a scale model of a Maryland State Police helicopter.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:48 AM
BobbyMcGee

number of injuries per year from fights in the stands?
number of injuries per year from muggings in the parking lot of the stadium?
number of injuries per year on the playing field?
number of injuries from fpv drones?

some here just need to hide in their bedroom under the covers
So, are you saying it is OK to injure someone with a drone?
No, he is really saying that chocolate chip cookies are better than oatmeal cookies, and that it is OK to injure someone during a mugging in the parking lot of a stadium.

I can't believe you couldn't see that !!!!!
Old 11-14-2014, 10:54 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by BobbyMcGee
No, he is really saying that chocolate chip cookies are better than oatmeal cookies, and that it is OK to injure someone during a mugging in the parking lot of a stadium.

I can't believe you couldn't see that !!!!!
LOL ......... somebody understands.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:59 AM
thepamster

So what would you say about a 40% scale model of a Predator? The AMA NATS in the scale heli class was won a few years ago with a scale model of a Maryland State Police helicopter.
I would say that would be a model of a drone but is still a model airplane unless it were used to perform the tasks of the Predator in which case it becomes a 40% sized drone.
The State Police helicopter is a model helicopter and not a model airplane.
A "quaddie" isn't a model of anything.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:07 AM
littlecrankshaf

"The problem with a definition based on task based use is that it gets murky and requires evidence into the intent of the pilot."

Intent
makes all the difference in the world...assault rifle or defense weapon...depends...if only government suck-up idiots could distinguish the difference we would need a whole lot less of the silly definitions posted in threads like this or used otherwise in media.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:19 AM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

I did a search on the AMA website for Drone, and there is a lot of information that may clear up some of the questions, here is one example:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/570.pdf

Last edited by FLAPHappy; 11-14-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:21 AM
bradpaul

A "quaddie" isn't a model of anything.
Really???? Even made a Google search to see quad copters used by the military and police in their line of duty?

But then perhaps a multi rotor cant be a scale model because it does not carry a live pilot................. oh wait!

Old 11-14-2014, 11:31 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
I did a search on the AMA website for Drone, and there is a lot of information that may clear up some of the questions, here is one example:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/570.pdf
One of the best documents ever produced by AMA. The author had a very good grasp of reality not often found nowadays.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:35 AM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
One of the best documents ever produced by AMA. The author had a very good grasp of reality not often found nowadays.
I agree 100%. The AMA website has a lot of information about what is a drone, different bills by congress, state laws, very informative. Check it out.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:42 AM
JW0311

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
I agree 100%. The AMA website has a lot of information about what is a drone, different bills by congress, state laws, very informative. Check it out.
I have a problem with this kind of approach. It uses reasoning. It approaches the problem with some intelligence. That kind of thing has no place in our current world. This kind of thing will end up calming the panic driven and those that believe these things will end up killing not only our hobby but millions of the flying public. It has no place here. It's going to take away my entertainment.

James
Old 11-14-2014, 11:47 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by jw0311
it has no place here. It's going to take away my entertainment. :d

james
lol...
Old 11-14-2014, 12:07 PM
thepamster

Really???? Even made a Google search to see quad copters used by the military and police in their line of duty?

But then perhaps a multi rotor cant be a scale model because it does not carry a live pilot................. oh wait!

Well gosh. I stand corrected.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:24 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Fox news just posted an article about Disney's No Fly Zone and why they have it.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...nt-for-disney/

Check it out. Sounds like they have a legit need for the NFZ. Yah Right!
Old 11-14-2014, 01:25 PM
JohnShe

[QUOTE=JohnShe;11917722]Well, a model airplane is a type of drone. By definition, a model airplane is a drone operated for recreational purposes. The problem with your question is the people you talk to are not using a standard definition of drone or model airplane, so you little poll is utterly flawed. Had you started with standard definitions, you would have received quite different answers.[/QUOTE

Sorry Mr. She , but it is you who are in error , and the majority of my little poll outweighs your demands to re purpose the word .
That is a logical fallacy. An appeal to popularity implies that an idea is true simply because it is widely held.

For FAR longer than there have been "aircraft" , of ANY type , the word "Drone" meant a worker bee .... A WORKER bee . as in , one with a specific job within the hive , and most certainly was NOT a bee created "just for the fun of being a bee" !!!!!! . Why do you think mindless drudgery is called slangly "Drone's work" ???
That is one of many definitions of the word drone. The oxford dictionary has added a third definition "A remote-controlled pilotless aircraft or missile" http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us..._english/drone

PS , guys like LCS have more model aircraft smarts in their little fingers than you display in ANY of your posts , so please knock off the superior attitude as it does nothing but make you look the part of the fool . You can jerk around with definitions all ya want , but to the majority of folks I'VE spoken with , the meaning of "Drone" has been clearly defined as a remotely piloted aircraft WITH A JOB TO DO , and just being an amusement for FUN ain't exactly considered a job where I come from .
Despite the smiley face you are getting awfully close to making a personal attack. The rest of your statement depends on the fallacy that I have already noted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.