Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Old 11-14-2014, 01:26 PM
JohnShe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thepamster
What is it a model of?
LOL! You can't be serious.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:36 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
"The problem with a definition based on task based use is that it gets murky and requires evidence into the intent of the pilot."

Intent
makes all the difference in the world...assault rifle or defense weapon...depends...if only government suck-up idiots could distinguish the difference we would need a whole lot less of the silly definitions posted in threads like this or used otherwise in media.

Agreed, and that is one reason why I think RC craft operated at a designated RC site or on privet property that are not interfering with full scale craft
should be left alone by the FAA. If craft operated at a RC site were left out of the mix there would be no need to define or make rules for such craft.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:49 PM
thepamster

Originally Posted by JohnShe
LOL! You can't be serious.
It is obvious that I disagree with you and Bradpaul whether a model airplane is a drone or not so lets just leave it at that and move on.
Good dicussion though.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:05 PM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by ira d
Agreed, and that is one reason why I think RC craft operated at a designated RC site or on privet property that are not interfering with full scale craft
should be left alone by the FAA. If craft operated at a RC site were left out of the mix there would be no need to define or make rules for such craft.
Ira, I totally agree in principle, but that is not what PL 112-95 put in place or what the FAA Interpretation says. So that is what we have to deal with, It is all IMHO a big mess and I just hope that the FAA turns out to be all talk and less enforcement. I was very pleased with the AMA document posted earlier. They ARE NOT ROLLING OVER on a 400' cap or the use of a spotter for FPV.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:52 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Here's something cool to try , cause I did this and was rather surprised at the results .

I asked 10 random aquaintances who don't know I'm into model planes , people like the guy I see at the deli each week and so forth , this one question ;

"Gee , ya sure see a lot of drone talk in the news lately , what do you think the difference is between a drone and a model plane ?"

and SEVEN out of ten came back with some form of "a drone has a job to do and a model plane is for fun" ..... 7 out of 10 !!!!! .... Now , I did not "coach" anyone nor ask the question in a "leading" way , I asked it simply as stated above . And so the general consensus of the small group of "civilians" asked agreed with CP and I that , despite some of the nonsense being posted earlier here , there really IS a clear cut difference between what a drone VS model plane is . This public perception of our model planes NOT being drones is well to our benefit and needs no blurring by folks who should know better than to be forcefully trying to associate the RC hobby with drone activity !
AMEN.....it just isn't any more complicated than this, Init4fun.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:53 PM
JohnShe

Well, Ira you have amazing mental powers because both the law and the FAA interpretation of the law say exactly the same thing. Model Airplanes, as distinguished from all other drones (by definition), will not be regulated by the FAA as long as the operators abide by the safety guidelines developed and maintained by nationwide community based organization.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:59 PM
Len Todd

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

This discussion has degraded into deep stupidity. So stupid, that I want you to know I am unsubscribing!
Old 11-14-2014, 05:13 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by Len Todd
This discussion has degraded into deep stupidity. So stupid, that I want you to know I am unsubscribing!
Its just what we do in here...LOL Oh, you didn't see that. Sorry.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:35 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, Ira you have amazing mental powers because both the law and the FAA interpretation of the law say exactly the same thing. Model Airplanes, as distinguished from all other drones (by definition), will not be regulated by the FAA as long as the operators abide by the safety guidelines developed and maintained by nationwide community based organization.
As I said before if what you say was believed to so there would not be all these pages of discussions on the subject.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:32 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is it a model of?
A model is not necessarily a model of any specific thing.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:36 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
In just one sentence you illuminate our and my problem... Guys like you want to tie us to terminology that will suck us into the black hole of government idiocy... Why not just reject that drone headed mentality?? Maybe you just can't help yourself...been on the teet too long??? Hmmm... maybe you are a drone...LOL

I don't see how. I do not think any of the policy statements use the word drone. Instead they us sUAV, UAV, and model airplane.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:59 PM
thepamster

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
A model is not necessarily a model of any specific thing.
I have nothing to add.

Hey, where is that Max guy? Lol.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:23 PM
littlecrankshaf

I think he took it on the chin...
Old 11-14-2014, 09:32 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

I normally only come to this site for the classifieds ...unless of course I happen upon a thread like this one.....LOL

Get'm crank....LOL
Old 11-14-2014, 09:34 PM
littlecrankshaf

I don't see how.
Whether possible or not isn't the point...the point is John trying his level best to link model aviation to drones...That seems clear enough.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:28 AM
smeckert

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/the...ilitary-drones
Old 11-15-2014, 04:35 AM
Maximilionalpha

I have nothing to add.

Still around...
Old 11-15-2014, 04:45 AM
smeckert

Good news everyone!
Seems the Pentagon is counting on us in developing the future advances in their drone technology to reach their 2030 goal of eliminating the pilots from aircraft systems.
I can remember a contest sponsored by "NASA" (cough cough), to come up with a slow flight system capable of carrying a load and flying in a basketball court. The prize was a whopping $2500 (?).
So get tinkering and come up with a smart drone so you can get a cushy job with the government.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:32 AM
thepamster

Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha
Still around...
I thought maybe you got curbed.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:35 AM
Maximilionalpha

I thought maybe you got curbed.
How so?...
Old 11-15-2014, 05:42 AM
thepamster

As in banned from the site. It has happened a few times to people. I didn't think you said anything too bad but I could have missed something and a post deleted. The Mods are always watching threads, especially ones that are popular like this one, and there are rules on this site.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:44 AM
Maximilionalpha

Nah! I didn't break any major rules. I can't speak for the other guy, the one whom started things and got offended after I posted a pic of a ballchinian and ran to report that, also. I dunno! Just saying. Plus, I'm all over different, rc forums. Seems like every forum that one goes to, there are always the lifetime members lurking around trying to patrol what is and isn't pertinent. lol

Last edited by Maximilionalpha; 11-15-2014 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:00 AM
JohnShe

I don't see how. I do not think any of the policy statements use the word drone. Instead they us sUAV, UAV, and model airplane.
Right, those are just more complex terms to describe drones, synonyms you might say. UAS and sUAS describe both the aircraft and any ground support equipment. UAV (there is no sUAV as far as I know) describes only the aircraft and is actually the definition of drone.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:03 AM
JohnShe

As I said before if what you say was believed to so there would not be all these pages of discussions on the subject.
Well, your belief that the FAA cannot be trusted is your problem. I suggest that you add another layer of tinfoil to your cap.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:38 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Well, your belief that the FAA cannot be trusted is your problem. I suggest that you add another layer of tinfoil to your cap.

HMmm , here we have Mr. She , who just one short page back was bemoaning something about a "personal attack" , throwing the insults around fairly handily himself . Let me guess , it's only a personal attack when someone points out Mr. She's bad behavior , but it's OK for Mr. She to go throwing such garbage as his Tin foil jab at whomever won't believe the same things he does ? Is that how it works , Mr. She ?

<----- Notice the absent smiley , Just for you , Mr. She ;

You are failing in one key area here , and that is that guys like CP and LCS and myself have no doubts about the line between our model airplanes and drones ! You go tossing tin foil trollbait around , calling guys paranoid because they don't trust the government that just this week got caught red handed calling the American people "stupid" and you think it's tin foil hat time for anyone who don't trust these crooks 100% ?

Your issues would appear to run deeper than the simple definition of what is and isn't a drone .......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.