Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Old 11-15-2014, 07:50 PM
warningshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes
Old 11-15-2014, 07:51 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bradpaul
the AMA membership just reached a historic high of 175,865 members. I wonder how much of the growth is from FPV flyers?
Originally Posted by JohnShe
Alternative question, how many existing members have taken up FPV flying?
My understanding is apprx 19,000 members noted quad/multirotor/fpv usage, but don't know the complete breakdown, or if there is one.

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C
Does anyone here fly FPV with airplanes, not quads?
No hard numbers here either, but I believe planes was where it all began, so I'd have to say plenty of people have done it that way, continue to do it this way, and might actually start it this way. I don't do it in either config but I've got to assume the airplane is the easiest platform.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:08 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha
/Kremlin and the KGB and report you!
No don't worry about them.. in Russia you are free to fly multi copters over the Kremlin and nobody cares…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB5nOFdsQ2Q According to a Russian modeller on another forum there are Phantoms flying around the Kremlin regularly.

Last edited by Rob2160; 11-15-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:20 PM
Maximilionalpha

Originally Posted by Rob2160
No don't worry about them.. in Russia you are free to fly multi copters over the Kremlin and nobody cares…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB5nOFdsQ2Q According to a Russian modeller on another forum there are Phantoms flying around the Kremlin regularly.
Ut, Oh! This video, along with most of mine, are going to be given to the American CIA, for further investigation by an undercover agent named, Swope!
Old 11-15-2014, 08:23 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by smeckert
And can a farmer compensate me to get a look at his crops, herd etc?
Being as deer season just opened here, can I scout an area for deer, for beer?
What about the 250' smoke stack on a factory, can I video the inside and outside for a family member who is in charge of it? For money
According to the new proposed rules just released this summer no you can't. But IMO this is where the FAA is all wrong, You can do
all these things for free but not for pay. IMO it is either safe or not, Money changing hands has nothing to do with if it is safe or not.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:06 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by warningshot
Yes
What kind of plane? What is the furthest you flew it? Would you fly a mile away?

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 11-15-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:13 AM
smeckert

Ira d, that's about how I feel too. The hunting one is most likely against the law, but I can see people using fpv(drone because it is doing work or used in killing) to drive deer, wild boars or whatever else is destroying their crops. Guess my opinion goes back to childhood, and being taught "Mind your own business, don't worry about what their doing!"
Old 11-16-2014, 05:15 AM
Sport_Pilot

By the way, this guy is one of many people who designed the very successful healthcare program in Massachusetts which is the basic model for the PPACA.
If it was so successful, why did they get rid of it?
Old 11-16-2014, 05:25 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Dang it!!! WINDY this morning due to the approaching cold front. Looks like my maiden voyage into FPV will have to wait...arghhhhh!!

But on the bright side, post #400 has got me thinking about how I can rig my Airfield 1400mm T-28 for FPV. That seems like it would be a blast, too!

Last edited by VF84sluggo; 11-16-2014 at 05:30 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:46 AM
bradpaul

When I look into my crystal ball, the future of FPV looks very bright.

FPV is simply a technology that lets a RC pilot fly from the in the cockpit perspective rather then remotely from the ground. Taking videos is just a one use of the capability of FPV and many more will evolve. Video in no way requires FPV as any RC plane can be equipped to take video, it does make it easier.

Just like RC succeeded control line, 2.4ghz succeeded 72mhz, lipo succeeded nitro, arf succeeded kit built, the hobby will evolve. In 5 to 10 years I speculate that most RC planes, helis, gliders, multi rotors will be flown FPV. And as always the change will be difficult with those too set in their ways to accept it.

FPV equipment will get better and better, stereo wide angle view with head tracking that works, lighter equipment, cheaper equipment all will happen.

Think out of the box......................... competitions............... FPV pylon, FPV combat, FPV aerobatics, FPV Navy Carrier, FPV fun flies.

Different?? sure, too much for some to accept? sure, but it will happen.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:59 AM
VF84sluggo

^^^ Which as a FPV newb, where do I start as far as FPV setups? Just doing a quick search, and I quickly realize that there are many options. Already I'm overwhelmed! Heck, what's the difference between 1.9 ghz, 2.4 ghz, 5.6 (I think), why does this matter? Are there cameras better suited for a plane's cockpit than a Go-Pro?

Last edited by VF84sluggo; 11-16-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:00 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
If it was so successful, why did they get rid of it?
The PPACA, which is a better program, superseded it.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:05 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by ira d
According to the new proposed rules just released this summer no you can't. But IMO this is where the FAA is all wrong, You can do
all these things for free but not for pay. IMO it is either safe or not, Money changing hands has nothing to do with if it is safe or not.
Actually, you have slightly misinterpreted the interpretive rule. What it says is that you cannot call your drone a model airplane if you fly for compensation. It doesn't say that you can't. However, at present there are regulatory niceties that you will have to overcome to fly your drone for pay. At present, commercial drone operations are being approved, or rejected, on a case by case basis. You must apply to the FAA for a waiver.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:13 AM
Sport_Pilot

Actually, you have slightly misinterpreted the interpretive rule. What it says is that you cannot call your drone a model airplane if you fly for compensation. It doesn't say that you can't. However, at present there are regulatory niceties that you will have to overcome to fly your drone for pay. At present, commercial drone operations are being approved, or rejected, on a case by case basis. You must apply to the FAA for a waiver.
And what regulations say the FAA can do that?
Old 11-16-2014, 06:25 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by VF84sluggo
^^^ Which as a FPV newb, where do I start as far as FPV setups? Just doing a quick search, and I quickly realize that there are many options. Already I'm overwhelmed! Heck, what's the difference between 1.9 ghz, 2.4 ghz, 5.6 (I think), why does this matter? Are there cameras better suited for a plane's cockpit than a Go-Pro?

Anyway, I'm hijacking this thread, and I've come up empty using the very-frustrating RCU search engine when looking for FPV info. Maybe someone knowledgeable can start a FPV newbie thread, and post a link to it here on this thread.
I was just getting ready to jump into FPV when the FAA Interpretation came out and I decided to wait. The plan was to equip my Senior Telemaster for FPV so I could fly from a cockpit view. Video recording was only to be able to review my flights and all flights would be from my AMA clubs field which is very rural.

The technology gobbledegook for FPV is intimidating unless you get a ready to fly quad copter. However the best place to get good beginner info is the website FPVLAB.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:31 AM
bradpaul

Actually, you have slightly misinterpreted the interpretive rule.
ROFLMAO........................ You think he misinterprets the FAA misinterpretation of PL 112-95

And some here are against the AMA legal action on the FAA misinterpretation!
Old 11-16-2014, 06:35 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

FPV is simply a technology that lets a RC pilot fly from the in the cockpit perspective rather then remotely from the ground. Taking videos is just a one use of the capability of FPV and many more will evolve. Video in no way requires FPV as any RC plane can be equipped to take video, it does make it easier.

Just like RC succeeded control line, 2.4ghz succeeded 72mhz, lipo succeeded nitro, arf succeeded kit built, the hobby will evolve. In 5 to 10 years I speculate that most RC planes, helis, gliders, multi rotors will be flown FPV. And as always the change will be difficult with those too set in their ways to accept it.

FPV equipment will get better and better, stereo wide angle view with head tracking that works, lighter equipment, cheaper equipment all will happen.

Think out of the box......................... competitions............... FPV pylon, FPV combat, FPV aerobatics, FPV Navy Carrier, FPV fun flies.

+1. Change will happen, and a lot of it will be good.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:51 AM
bradpaul

Default Drone strikes woman at crowded market in Mount Dora

http://www.wesh.com/news/drone-strik...-dora/29742352

This is just the next town over from me. So everybody before you go off demanding that drones be banned, I heard from a friend that was at the event that the "drone" was actually a RC electric helicopter being flown conventionally.

There are FPV idiots and there are conventional RC idiots but the ever more clueless morons press will call the aircraft a drone!

Probably be a thread in the FPV forums calling for a ban on conventional RC as it is giving FPV a bad name.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:33 AM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with everything you said except that Lipo replaced nitro. Unless battery technology evolves to give at least one hour of run at time at WOT that will never happen. Yesterday at the field a couple of guys were baffled as to why I still run nitro and not electric. Then I asked one how long of a run time he gets and he said 5 minutes. He carries ten batteries out to the field every time. I can bring my gallon of fuel and run all day if I wanted to. Plus the realism factor. Also those batteries are downright heavy.

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 11-16-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:38 AM
VF84sluggo

The technology gobbledegook for FPV is intimidating...
Ain't that the truth!!!
Old 11-16-2014, 08:51 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually I did not misinterpret anything, There is nothing in the rule about applying for a waiver. But my point is the FAA should not be concerned about
what I do with my model unless I am doing something unsafe.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:44 AM
warningshot

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C
What kind of plane? What is the furthest you flew it? Would you fly a mile away?
HobbyKing Bixler. Not sure how far. Would I fly it a mile away from me--maybe.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:09 AM
JohnShe

http://www.wesh.com/news/drone-strik...-dora/29742352

This is just the next town over from me. So everybody before you go off demanding that drones be banned, I heard from a friend that was at the event that the "drone" was actually a RC electric helicopter being flown conventionally.

There are FPV idiots and there are conventional RC idiots but the ever more clueless morons press will call the aircraft a drone!

Probably be a thread in the FPV forums calling for a ban on conventional RC as it is giving FPV a bad name.
Duh! Haven't we been debating the definition of drone for some time in this thread? By my definition which I believe is pretty standard, an electric helicopter flown by remote control is a drone.

Now I don't believe in banning drones, never have. I do believe in banning irresponsible operators of drones, or better yet punishing them severely.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:14 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by ira d
Actually I did not misinterpret anything, There is nothing in the rule about applying for a waiver. But my point is the FAA should not be concerned about
what I do with my model unless I am doing something unsafe.
That is what I said. It's not in the rule, the rule only applies to model aviation, not commercial drone operations. It is in the 2012 FAA modernization act that authorizes the FAA to regulate commercial and public service drone operations. As yet there are no regulations in place, so the FAA has established case by case policy to permit drone operations.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:05 PM
countryshooter
My Feedback: (21)

2.4 can go up to a mile. 73 mhz over mile UHF can go over 10 miles

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.