Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 09:43 AM
N410DC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk
Originally Posted by acdii
Bong by any chance? BFRC? Just wondering if we cross paths at any time.

I posted in the other thread regarding NTSB getting involved. My curiosity has me going. What defines an "airport"? There is an airport with a passenger terminal, then there are "airfields" with nothing more than a grass strip, sometimes not even lit, and a few hangers with no control tower, or even a flight house(whatever they call where you put in flight plans). There are several of them within 5 miles of where I fly, but since none have any sort of "control tower" how would you notify them of any events or such? To me this is a huge gray area that needs to be defined.
In a strict sense, any body of water that is large enough for seaplane operations could be defined as an "airport." Water covers a lot more real estate than airfields for land-based aircraft.

There is indeed a great deal of grey area.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:36 AM
bradpaul

Default Think the AMA is worried about "drones" or "FPV"?

Think again, this is the initial speaker list for the AMA Expo.

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: drop, width: 33%, align: left"] [/TD]
[TD="class: drop, width: 2%"][/TD]
[TD="class: drop, width: 65%"] [TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="align: left"] [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: drop, colspan: 3, align: left"] [TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="class: dashedBorder"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Back to the Future: The Kettering Bug, America's First Production Drone.

Presented by Joseph Bok Aero Telemetry Corp., UAV Design and Electronic Systems, Aerospace Engineer Designed, built and flew the models in the movie The Aviator.READ MORE>
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Air Launch to Orbit: Flight Testing The Towed Glider Air Launch Concept using a Sub-Scale Research Model.

Presented by Gerry D. "Jerry" Budd, Project Manager of Air Launch Development in the Advanced Planning and Partnerships Office at NASA's Armstrong Flight Research Center, Edwards, California.READ MORE>
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD] Getting Started in FPV: FPV technology and theory, systems for a range of RC builds, FPV safety, and tips for being successful in FPV.

Presented by David Urrutia, Director of Media & Customer Interaction at ReadyMadeRC READ MORE>

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD] Whatever You Fly. Wherever You Fly. Do It Safely.

Presented by Jim Rice, Served as AMA Safety Committee Member and Chair for three years. AMA Executive Council and AVP for District VIII for 14 years. AMA Member since 1956. READ MORE>

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TABLE="class: dashedBorder"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Understanding Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFR)

Presented by Brian Throop, Manager, Special Operations Security Group, Federal Aviation AdministrationREAD MORE>
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Precision Hawk's Lancaster MK III UAV Platform

Presented by Tyler CollinsDirector, Business Development, Precision HawkTyler graduated from Indiana State University (ISU) Magna Cum Laude with a degree in aviation technology and unmanned systems.READ MORE>
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Aerial Platforms in Production

Presented by Robert Rodriguez and Society of Aerial Cinemtography PanelFounder, Society of Aerial Cinemtography (SOAC)READ MORE>
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
More Speakers To Be Announced Soon!
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 11-20-2014, 12:09 PM
NorfolkSouthern

It is looking more and more like the AMA is shifting its direction away from hobbyists, and towards research, development, and prototyping of UAV's for government, public, and commercial use. I truly feel that this is the direction that model aviation must head in order to continue to survive. I am getting the impression that Section 336 became a hindrance to any progress in the field of aviation science. I am also questioning whether a license and medical certificate to operate an RC aircraft is a bad thing. Even a fixed wing with a .40 sized IC engine can serve some good practical use in gathering data.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:25 PM
thepamster

All this talk about licensing, and certificates to fly model airplanes makes me nervous, very nervous. Its not that I couldn't pass any tests but what is next, aircraft inspections?
AMA memberships, club dues, and now lisences. How much is it going to cost to be able to still fly model airplanes?
Old 11-20-2014, 01:44 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was having seller's remorse, but now I'm starting to feel relieved I got out of jets. Glad I just have a .60 Hellcat and some 'lowly' foamies...and the Phantom 2
Old 11-20-2014, 03:28 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Bong by any chance? BFRC? Just wondering if we cross paths at any time.

I posted in the other thread regarding NTSB getting involved. My curiosity has me going. What defines an "airport"? There is an airport with a passenger terminal, then there are "airfields" with nothing more than a grass strip, sometimes not even lit, and a few hangers with no control tower, or even a flight house(whatever they call where you put in flight plans). There are several of them within 5 miles of where I fly, but since none have any sort of "control tower" how would you notify them of any events or such? To me this is a huge gray area that needs to be defined.
every airport that is listed in the federal registry of airports lists an airport manager. Then That's the person U contact.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:31 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by HoundDog
every airport that is listed in the federal registry of airports lists an airport manager. Then That's the person U contact.
Hound Dog: Section A. of the AMA Safety rules, says 3 Miles of an Airport without notifying the Airport Operator. The in section 336 it states within 5 miles of an Airport. This is a Gray area for me,is it after you contact the Airport Contact? all the rules, document 550, 560, to me seem to contradict each other.
Now I have another log to fuel the fire. It briefly says and states Heliport. I have a question for those that are far more knowledgeable than I. My question is this"
Lets say an Emergency Air Flight Helicopter flies numerous and different Helicopters and different flights daily, even one would do, but they ( meaning the AMA or the FAA) do not explain the altitude restrictions around life saving Hospital Flights, which occur daily. Usually the Helicopters fly around 1000-1500' so they can rescue and deliver a patient that needs immediate care. Now lets say , a guy lives ANY distance from a Hospital, his Quad Copter hits the Life Saving Helicopter and he is flying at or near the same altitude, and it damages or it crashes before landing at the Hospital." Bad news. First of all, he is not to be flying anywhere people, housing Hospitals etc, but some irresponsibie people do it every day. I would like the AMA to give a clear definition on what a safe altitude and mileage restriction for Model Aircraft, around Hospitals, Schools, etc. just like the FAA does with Full Scale Aircraft. I am not a full scale pilot, so maybe somebody here has an answer.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:58 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

Uh oh

Yup AMA chartered fields ONLY so all the FOG field Nazi's can scrutinize and keep their eyes on ya...LMAO
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ama.png
Views:	118
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	2048933  
Old 11-20-2014, 05:59 PM
bradpaul

FLAPHappy, the issue is not what altitude, it is all tied to "see and avoid" . Flying in a park, hospital, school and at an AMA club field if you cannot "see and avoid" then IMHO you are flying recklessly. Flying anything above 400' without a spotter is taking an unnecessary chance. i don't think that you can both concentrate on controling yout aircraft and also be aware of possible full scale conflicts.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:24 PM
franklin_m

My curiosity has me going. What defines an "airport"? There is an airport with a passenger terminal, then there are "airfields" with nothing more than a grass strip, sometimes not even lit, and a few hangers with no control tower, or even a flight house(whatever they call where you put in flight plans). There are several of them within 5 miles of where I fly, but since none have any sort of "control tower" how would you notify them of any events or such? To me this is a huge gray area that needs to be defined.
As to what defines an "airport", the answer is in FAR 153 & 157.
FAR 153: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...53_13&rgn=div8
FAR 157: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...57_12&rgn=div8

Airports can be further categorized if they serve passengers (called Part 139 facilities), but those are subcategories of the basic definition you see in FAR 153/157
Old 11-20-2014, 06:25 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by bradpaul
FLAPHappy, the issue is not what altitude, it is all tied to "see and avoid" . Flying in a park, hospital, school and at an AMA club field if you cannot "see and avoid" then IMHO you are flying recklessly. Flying anything above 400' without a spotter is taking an unnecessary chance. i don't think that you can both concentrate on controling yout aircraft and also be aware of possible full scale conflicts.
Concur.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:46 PM
FLAPHappy

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Brad: agree with you, controlling your aircraft via VLOS, which most of us do. The FPV is another game as you know, and some people use this technology WITHOUT a spotter, they are the ones that are creating the problems, along with other people not obeying VLOS flight, you know that as well as I do. The people that violate the rules of AMA and FAA, that there is the problem with the R/C community today.
My opinion is, if it continues, and it will continue, because some people flat don't care about Reg's, and the others don't know the rules, we will see more Regulations by both Organizations not to mention the NTSB, and they will try to get a handle on it, which again in my opinion, may not happen until; something serious happens, then it's too late, somebody may have lost their life over something they (FAA, AMA,etc) may have prevented, maybe not.. I am not for more Regulation in our Hobby, but I do believe the new technology has created more problems than cures.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:06 PM
CRX Turbines

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is another one right in NY .. JFK... Some poeple just dont get it (probably dont care either..)

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...283247661.html
Old 11-21-2014, 05:52 AM
Rob2160

All this fuss over nothing.. Multirotors never crash!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3P15qNJ_Jg#t=157
Old 11-21-2014, 05:55 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Well I hope they catch whoever is doing it and fine them into oblivion. there are limits to stupidity, and that goes beyond it. Just mre of that hey look at what I did crap you see on you tube, which should be called look how stupid tube.

Daddy was right, can't fix stupid, but a bat to the back of the head sure helps.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:53 AM
Rvander
My Feedback: (81)

I normally never comment...but if you look at all the conversations, all the issues, etc... this has been happening since the dawn of man. Any hobby..any activity...can be subject to this same focus. Publicity......politics........everything plays a part...but if we stand back......If we try to control one thing...like modeling, drones...whatever...a new problem will occur. Whether its gun control, model control, stamp collecting...it will ALWAYS have a percentage that will abuse simple common sense.. I am not a drone pilot, but I reserve the right of people I know to own and fly them, as they respect me for my right to fly model aircraft. I respect my other friends rights to golf, and my other friends right to collect certain firearms. Its like a sea of children bickering......and laws, governing bodies, etc.....come on....lets not get into our 'rights' anymore... So they control all model flying...as well as they are controlling all the gun issues........here we go...all the common sense modelers and drone pilots...are penalized.....and people who are already acting stupid......they keep flying.. GOOD job government. Like guns..... so far from what I see...having a collector, or educated person not be able to purchase, hasnt stopped kids from simply buying a gun and doing what they want. Its pretty obvious..if your reckless, or stupid......you pretty much arent going to care about any law, or guidelines anyone comes up with period.

So if tomorrow, some idiot decides to buy golf clubs and some new balls, and tees up on a bridge firing balls out into incoming traffic.....do we jump on the band wagon and start a whole new series of rules, education, restrictions on golfing ?? This can go on and on and on...it has been since someone invented the wheel.
The first guy to take the wheel and decide to do something unsafe, or non-common sense......well......regulate that industry. Its really not complicated, but due to money involved, politics, media, etc.......it just becomes a night mare......I think we see so many posts, cause everyone inside feels the same..
Old 11-21-2014, 08:16 AM
acdii

Yep.

It is really getting blown out of proportion. Some idiot decides, hey look what I can do, does so in an unsafe manner, so now everyone gets punished for it. Common sense rules dictate, punish those who do stupid things, not everyone else who is doing it safely. But whoever said Government has common sense, only thing government does is try to protect the stupid so they have voters.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:48 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by wahoo
Uh oh

Yup AMA chartered fields ONLY so all the FOG field Nazi's can scrutinize and keep their eyes on ya...LMAO
Don't renew your AMA if U don't agree with the AMA, simple as that.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:52 AM
HoundDog

The FAA is going to require all things that fly,every thing but birds and butter flys, that they be ADS-B Equipped ... You WATCH

Now I'm late for the 26th Arizona Jet Rally, where I'll Guarantee they won't maintain a 400' ceiling.

or any other AMA Sanctioned Jet event either.

Last edited by HoundDog; 11-21-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:55 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Don't renew your AMA if U don't agree with the AMA, simple as that.
That is an option, but I doubt many will go that route.

Yep.

It is really getting blown out of proportion. Some idiot decides, hey look what I can do, does so in an unsafe manner, so now everyone gets punished for it. Common sense rules dictate, punish those who do stupid things, not everyone else who is doing it safely. But whoever said Government has common sense, only thing government does is try to protect the stupid so they have voters.

It's definately the flavor/scare of the year...doesn't help that it's also sweeps month for the TV news shows either right?

Keep in mind it's the we're seeing this govt interention and thinking it's just because of a couple of DJI's floating where they shouldn't be. I don't see much of a discussion of what I think is really driving this, the big tech boys/defense contractors, and the need to regulate them and factor them into the airspace about it. Our hobby got roped in with the definitions of UAVs etc, but I think we'll get to where we need to be eventually, without the sky falling or the hobby as we know it coming to an end. Time, and money..that's all it will take!
Old 11-21-2014, 09:15 AM
acdii

Need a like button for that last post.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:19 AM
ka8jvx
My Feedback: (1)

I watched a TV program last Tuesday called Chicago Fire, not a real incident, about the fire dept. One segment was about a full scale helicopter that had crashed on top of a large building. The main rotor had come off as well as the tail rotor. They were found several hundred feet from the crash. When they found the tail rotor it had a Quad Copter tangled in it. By backtracking a blood trail they found a teenager with the FPV transmitter in his hand. He survived after being hit by the rotor but others did not. He had been told by his father not to fly the copter but ignored his dad. Although this was not a true story, this could have been a real life tragedy.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:24 AM
acdii

Check out the link posted several posts above about NY. An NYPD heli has a close call with one in real life.

A couple years ago JC Penny ran an ad with a kid chasing someone with one. Not a really good thing to portray, so I sent them a nasty gram. I must not have been the only one as the ad was pulled the next day.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:26 PM
FLAPHappy

OK Guys, Here is the Latest News from Fox News today. I did not in this thread to condemn "Drones" but this is getting bigger each day. Reason, Unqualified Pilots or wanna be Pilots fly these things, mainly Quad Copters , in an Unsafe manner. Please take a moment to see this link and also watch the Video they present.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...rliners-spike/
Old 11-27-2014, 02:42 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
OK Guys, Here is the Latest News from Fox News today. I did not in this thread to condemn "Drones" but this is getting bigger each day. Reason, Unqualified Pilots or wanna be Pilots fly these things, mainly Quad Copters , in an Unsafe manner. Please take a moment to see this link and also watch the Video they present.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...rliners-spike/
As with most things, a few irresponsible users will ruin it for the majority who operate these things carefully and safely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.