Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 06:04 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VF84sluggo
Heck, they're even hanging from the rafters at the carnival games now (not that it would be possible to win one at these rigged games).

Think the Carny has heard of the AMA, or the guy wasting his money trying to win an r/c helo with a camera that the box says will fly itself? Unlikely. They just want to get one and go buzzing around the neighborhood like they see guys doing on the 6 o'clock news.
That is exactly Why there has to be a license to use these dangerous products. The same as a motor cycle licenses or drivers licenses, Pilots certificate ect.. If that doesn't happen then we are all domed (NOT DROMNED) to taking off the wings and running around like the car and truck guys the first time one of these TOY's takes down a maned aircraft. How else are we going to weed out the IDIOTS that are going to Kill R/C flying for every one. Guess U will have to do all your flying on a simulator. Maybe the FAA will let us do Long Distance FPV on the sim .... Probably not.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:49 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other aspect about quadcopters. I was flying one of my planes on Saturday morning by myself in a wide open field, in the snow (seems like no one else in NY likes flying off of skis...) I'm adding fuel in between flights when I hear a buzzing nearby. I look up and see a small green quad-copter, hoving about 20 feet away. I look around and finally see the pilot - he must have been 8-900 ft away, at the far end of this field. Given the small size of the quadcopter I guessed he must be flying it FPV, as there's no way he could have seen the quad with the naked eye it at that distance. The quad just hovered there, facing me. Then I had the wierd feeling I was being watched. It left after a minute, but I noticed it came back between flights. I have to admit it did feel a little like being watched, or spied on, even harrassed. I never thought of this before, but having a quad hovering near you, watching you, does now seem like a bit of an invasion of your privacy. I admit I was a little annoyed, as this guy (who I'd never seen, and who stayed 900 feet away) was obviously intentionaly hoving close to me. (He left after about 45 minutes, and didn't come over to say hello.) Now, maybe I was being overly-sensitive, but I can see this becoming a sore spot with these quads, that they can easily be used to harrass and annoy (especially with FPV). Would not be surprized if we hear soon about rural-types pulling out their shotguns and shooting these things out of the sky.

Last edited by microdon2; 03-23-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:51 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by microdon2
One other aspect about quadcopters. I was flying one of my planes on Saturday morning by myself in a wide open field, in the snow (seems like no one else in NY likes flying off of skis...) I'm adding fuel in between flights when I hear a buzzing nearby. I look up and see a small green quad-copter, hoving about 20 feet away. I look around and finally see the pilot - he must have been 8-900 ft away, at the far end of this field. Given the small size of the quadcopter I guessed he must be flying it FPV, as there's no way he could have seen the quad with the naked eye it at that distance. The quad just hovered there, facing me. Then I had the wierd feeling I was being watched. It left after a minute, but I noticed it came back between flights. I have to admit it did feel a little like being watched, or spied on, even harrassed. I never thought of this before, but having a quad hovering near you, watching you, does now seem like a bit of an invasion of your privacy. I admit I was a little annoyed, as this guy (who I'd never seen, and who stayed 900 feet away) was obviously intentionaly hoving close to me. (He left after about 45 minutes, and didn't come over to say hello.) Now, maybe I was being overly-sensitive, but I can see this becoming a sore spot with these quads, that they can easily be used to harrass and annoy (especially with FPV). Would not be surprised if we hear soon about rural-types pulling out their shotguns and shooting these things out of the sky.
Don't forget the FAA says if it flys and manmade it an Air Plane and subject to all FAR ... Even those FAR that prohibit of Harming or steeling parts of fuel ... So just live with it ... Or do what I do when the Pattern and IMAC guys keep flying one after the other ... Out comes My old beat up U-Can-DO a really ratty plane with an old run out motor and a cheepap Batt and receiver. Iproceed to fly a high circuit they soon take their expensive JUNK and leave. don't know where they go And I don't care ... they don't own the field M $100 / year dues are just as good as theirs.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:37 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Don't forget the FAA says if it flys and manmade it an Air Plane and subject to all FAR ... Even those FAR that prohibit of Harming or steeling parts of fuel ... So just live with it ... Or do what I do when the Pattern and IMAC guys keep flying one after the other ... Out comes My old beat up U-Can-DO a really ratty plane with an old run out motor and a cheepap Batt and receiver. Iproceed to fly a high circuit they soon take their expensive JUNK and leave. don't know where they go And I don't care ... they don't own the field M $100 / year dues are just as good as theirs.
WOW...great insight...especially from a guy that harps on mandatory safety regs. Unreal in here sometimes but at least we know how crap comes to be.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:20 AM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha
Thanks for this video.
Reading the comments is interesting. One comment said that these multicopters are set at the factory not to exceed 400ft. Not sure about that.
Support both for and against this guy. Here's one that makes some interesting points:

Some of you people are truly insane. I mean seriously outright insane.

Let us go over some facts.

FIRST model aircraft are NOT required to stay below 400ft There is NO altitude limit. I can fly as high as I want to safely. I regularly fly this high.

The FAA is barred by congress from making rules regarding safe operation of hobby recreational model aircraft. THEY ARE FORBIDDEN

the altitude limit is for COMMERCIAL drones. not hobby drones.

Next Model aircraft are NOT required to avoid manned aircraft. They are required to GIVE WAY to manned aircraft. the difference is critical as one is impossible to do the other is quite possible and this video is a perfect example.

Recreational use of the airspace is a RIGHT commercial usage is a privilege.

NOW let us go over this video.

a drone operator is LAWFULLY and SAFELY flying his drone very likely to capture video of the fire going on their.

NEXT a manned helicopter ENTERS the airspace.

NEXT the drone operator on noticing the helicopter CORRECTLY and IMMEDIATELY defers (gives way) to the manned aircraft and VERY rapidly descends clearing the airspace.

this video has RIGHT and CORRECT written all over it. This video is an EXAMPLE that shows that the drone operator at least understands sharing the airspace and giving way for safety right of way to the manned aircraft even though he was their first (safety first!)

The drone is NO threat to that helicopter unless the pilot (of either) is dumb enough to fly into the other or you know. "chase down" the other like this news crew did in their witch hunt.

the drone operator appeared to do EVERYTHING RIGHT the chopper crew everything wrong and you guys are demonizing the drone operator.

you people make me sick.

I would like to see the FAA hand down a citation to that helicopter crew for harassing this citizen.

He did NOTHING WRONG and in fact appeared to do EVERYTHING RIGHT.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:09 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
WOW...great insight...especially from a guy that harps on mandatory safety regs. Unreal in here sometimes but at least we know how crap comes to be.

Yes Sir , Mr. mandatory safety regs had best be DAMNED careful what he wishes on other people ....... I get that he's no spring chicken , and likely well past retirement age like most everyone else here . Now just who do ya think will be wailin' the loudest when one of those regs happens to be an AGE LIMIT on piloting ANYTHING that flys ?

Think it can't happen , wiseguy with the big red letters ???? Many states are already enacting additional driver's testing/training for senior drivers , Age discrimination is one of the few forms of discrimination left that the world gets away with . How'd ya like to "age out" of the hobby some day by force ?

Laundry done , Troll's been fed , Have a great evening gents !

Last edited by init4fun; 03-23-2015 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-23-2015, 01:16 PM
I-fly-any-and-all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I support you mr. flight risk as being correct and thank you for showing these bumbling idiots the error of their ways!

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
Thanks for this video.
Reading the comments is interesting. One comment said that these multicopters are set at the factory not to exceed 400ft. Not sure about that.
Support both for and against this guy. Here's one that makes some interesting points:

FIRST model aircraft are NOT required to stay below 400ft There is NO altitude limit. I can fly as high as I want to safely. I regularly fly this high.

The FAA is barred by congress from making rules regarding safe operation of hobby recreational model aircraft. THEY ARE FORBIDDEN

Next Model aircraft are NOT required to avoid manned aircraft. They are required to GIVE WAY to manned aircraft. the difference is critical as one is impossible to do the other is quite possible and this video is a perfect example.

a drone operator is LAWFULLY and SAFELY flying his drone very likely to capture video of the fire going on their.

NEXT the drone operator on noticing the helicopter CORRECTLY and IMMEDIATELY defers (gives way) to the manned aircraft and VERY rapidly descends clearing the airspace.

this video has RIGHT and CORRECT written all over it. This video is an EXAMPLE that shows that the drone operator at least understands sharing the airspace and giving way for safety right of way to the manned aircraft even though he was their first (safety first!)

The drone is NO threat to that helicopter unless the pilot (of either) is dumb enough to fly into the other or you know. "chase down" the other like this news crew did in their witch hunt.

the drone operator appeared to do EVERYTHING RIGHT the chopper crew everything wrong and you guys are demonizing the drone operator.

you people make me sick.

I would like to see the FAA hand down a citation to that helicopter crew for harassing this citizen.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:52 PM
hairy46

Am so very very sick of drones and what they are doing to this hobby! Why oh why did the AMA back them?
Old 03-23-2015, 04:38 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
Thanks for this video.

you people make me sick.

You see it that way, most of us agree on what YOU see, however, the mass morons out there watching the news chopper and the mindless boobs spewing their twist on the news is where the problem lies. The mass morons wont see it the way you, I and most others here see it, and thats the problem! You get the notion in their feeble brains that a drone was out to take down a news chopper and they run with it until our hobby has been banned.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:16 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by hairy46
Am so very very sick of drones and what they are doing to this hobby! Why oh why did the AMA back them?
It hasn't even started yet. Per the sUAS NPRM these things are no longer classified as "civil UAS" where they seemed to fit as previously categorized. FAA has consolidated the 5 separate categories formerly considered into just one. There are now just commercial sUAS and model airplanes in the under 25 Kg UA category. The ones generating all the bad publicity that are not operated for hire are, you guessed it: model airplanes. The faint line that might have allowed modelers to say "we" aren't 'them' has been erased.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:46 PM
HoundDog

Cranky: Keeps the A Wholes that think they OWN the SKY in check... Now go comment on the NPRM
Old 03-23-2015, 05:56 PM
thepamster

Cranky: Keeps the A Wholes that think they OWN the SKY in check... Now go comment on the NPRM
Said the guy who ran off the IMAC guys with a ratty airplane and a cheap battery and receiver.
Yeah, who really IS the A Whole?
Old 03-23-2015, 06:10 PM
littlecrankshaf

What is so dang hilarious, if not so very sad, is that when you deploy your cheapo Ucando guided missile, that meets the definition of drone better than most quad-copters that you rail so vehemently against.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:16 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

One other aspect about quadcopters. I was flying one of my planes on Saturday morning by myself in a wide open field, in the snow (seems like no one else in NY likes flying off of skis...) I'm adding fuel in between flights when I hear a buzzing nearby. I look up and see a small green quad-copter, hoving about 20 feet away. I look around and finally see the pilot - he must have been 8-900 ft away, at the far end of this field. Given the small size of the quadcopter I guessed he must be flying it FPV, as there's no way he could have seen the quad with the naked eye it at that distance. The quad just hovered there, facing me. Then I had the wierd feeling I was being watched. It left after a minute, but I noticed it came back between flights. I have to admit it did feel a little like being watched, or spied on, even harrassed. I never thought of this before, but having a quad hovering near you, watching you, does now seem like a bit of an invasion of your privacy. I admit I was a little annoyed, as this guy (who I'd never seen, and who stayed 900 feet away) was obviously intentionaly hoving close to me. (He left after about 45 minutes, and didn't come over to say hello.) Now, maybe I was being overly-sensitive, but I can see this becoming a sore spot with these quads, that they can easily be used to harrass and annoy (especially with FPV). Would not be surprized if we hear soon about rural-types pulling out their shotguns and shooting these things out of the sky.
Damn good idea.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:30 PM
HoundDog

What is so dang hilarious, if not so very sad, is that when you deploy your cheapo Ucando guided missile, that meets the definition of drone better than most quad-copters that you rail so vehemently against.
Crankey:
Ounce again U have it all wrong I like all forms of R/C even Quads ... OUNCE AGAIN and Listen UP ...What i don't like are the Idiots that don't know When Where and How they are allowed to Safely fly any thing R/C. To combat these Idiots is the reason that i say anyone Flying some or any form of R/C aircraft prove that they at least know of the existance of a Safety Code and the where when and How they are allowed to fly. Simple as that, Nothing more or less ... Now did U get that. I Hope.
Please, Let me ask U ... How would U propose that people that are endangering our Hobby/Sport by being Uninformed of the Safety Code and again the Proper Place when and how to fly Any R/C Craft Prove that they have read and understand said
Safety Code and again the Proper Place when and how to fly

Last edited by HoundDog; 03-23-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:39 PM
warningshot

Originally Posted by hairy46
Just what is it that the "drones" are doing that you hate them?
Old 03-23-2015, 06:47 PM
littlecrankshaf

Crankey:
Ounce again U have it all wrong I like all forms of R/C even Quads ... OUNCE AGAIN and Listen UP ...What i don't like are the Idiots that don't know When Where and How they are allowed to Safely fly any thing R/C. To combat these Idiots is the reason that i say anyone Flying some or any form of R/C aircraft prove that they at least know of the existance of a Safety Code and the where when and How they are allowed to fly. Simple as that, Nothing more or less ... Now did U get that. I Hope.
Please, Let me ask U ... How would U propose that people that are endangering our Hobby/Sport by being Uninformed of the Safety Code and again the Proper Place when and how to fly Any R/C Craft Prove that they have read and understand said
Safety Code and again the Proper Place when and how to fly
I give...you are much wiser than me...There, you happy???

Now back to flying your guided missile. Hopefully one day you are successful and your intentions will lead to disabling one of those giant aerobats causing it to careen out of control.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:57 PM
HoundDog

But then Flying Out in the RURAL-Areas Doesn't Present the Problem. It's the guy flying around congested areas, Houses,persons and near flight paths of Aircraft arriving and leaving Air ports at low altitude. Below 2500' AGL. Many Rural-Types ... Farmers can't wait to start or continue to fly large Quads and hex and octo Copters for every thing from Crop subservience to Keeping track of the heads of animals and other observations ... so I dought it would be the rural-types doing the Shooting of Quads. Again JMHO WhatEver ...
Old 03-23-2015, 09:37 PM
nadt770

Planes, Heli's, Quad's, FPV, Gun's, Car's, Boat's,....it doesn't matter what it is. The MORON's who use these thing's with no common sense or self-control are the problem. When thing's get to far out of control the government get's involved and it's usually downhill from there for everyone. What can we do about these particular people? Probably not much. They have alway's been around and will continue to be...until "Big Brother" takes over control of everything. In the mean time trying to talk sense into them is a waste of breath because after all they are what they are....MORON's!
Old 03-24-2015, 05:37 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by nadt770
Planes, Heli's, Quad's, FPV, Gun's, Car's, Boat's,....it doesn't matter what it is. The MORON's who use these thing's with no common sense or self-control are the problem. When thing's get to far out of control the government get's involved and it's usually downhill from there for everyone. What can we do about these particular people? Probably not much. They have alway's been around and will continue to be...until "Big Brother" takes over control of everything. In the mean time trying to talk sense into them is a waste of breath because after all they are what they are....MORON's!

We can't give up. There has to be something we as responsible R/C Flyers can do to keep a few Idiots from ruining the Hobb/S[prt for the 500K or so that participate in R/C Flying. If we need a Licences to fly a full scale ride a motor cycle drive a car fish Hunt,Talk on a ham radio, Why not for Toy Airplanes. At least It will prove that these people have been presented with the proper Information and and what they do with it is up to them. At least, Just like driving a car or bike or full scale plane, People don't always follow the rules, but having passed a test they at least know the are or should know that when they are doing wrong.

It could be simple add on to the AMA/CBO website. If U think my thinking is all wet then U come up with some solution before we all loose our Flying Privileges of TOY air planes. It's "PUT UP or SHUT TIME" The stakes are to HIGH, We cannot afford to bicker among our selves like a bunch of 3rd graders. PLZ let's get together (Stop bashing every thing and Every one) and let's try to come up with constructive ways to save our Hobby/Sport. Now start with constructive Ideas Here PLZ. It's to save our flying privileges.
This is not JMHO it is a request to do something anything before the inevitable happens and we all take it in the SHORTS. Now let's all put our constructive thinking caps on and accomplish the Impossible, as it may be.

Now to my other Soap Box Topic. DID U ANSWER THE FAA ABOUT THE NPRM YET?
If U did, GREAT, if Not, WHY NOT.

Last edited by HoundDog; 03-24-2015 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:15 AM
cj_rumley

We can't give up. There has to be something we as responsible R/C Flyers can do to keep a few Idiots from ruining the Hobb/S[prt for the 500K or so that participate in R/C Flying. If we need a Licences to fly a full scale ride a motor cycle drive a car fish Hunt,Talk on a ham radio, Why not for Toy Airplanes. At least It will prove that these people have been presented with the proper Information and and what they do with it is up to them. At least, Just like driving a car or bike or full scale plane, People don't always follow the rules, but having passed a test they at least know the are or should know that when they are doing wrong.

It could be simple add on to the AMA/CBO website. If U think my thinking is all wet then U come up with some solution before we all loose our Flying Privileges of TOY air planes. It's "PUT UP or SHUT TIME" The stakes are to HIGH, We cannot afford to bicker among our selves like a bunch of 3rd graders. PLZ let's get together (Stop bashing every thing and Every one) and let's try to come up with constructive ways to save our Hobby/Sport. Now start with constructive Ideas Here PLZ. It's to save our flying privileges.
This is not JMHO it is a request to do something anything before the inevitable happens and we all take it in the SHORTS. Now let's all put our constructive thinking caps on and accomplish the Impossible, as it may be.

I'm not disagreeing (nor agreeing) with you HoundDog, but I do think you are barking up the wrong tree. According to the NPRM, everything that flies and weighs less that 55 lbs and is not for hire is a model airplane. Congress has mandated that FAA cannot make any rules regarding their operation if they comply with the CBO rules. So what do you want FAA to do? If there is any rule making needed, FAA is barred from doing it so it's up to the CBO to do it. Tell them what you want.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:20 AM
NorfolkSouthern

I really don't see a problem with the rule making the way it's written, so there is no reason for me to comment. Somebody tell me: What is wrong with it? It does not affect modeling at all. It does, however, allow a provision for the commercial operation of drones, and I am fine with that.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:38 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

One clarification on my comment - the only reason I said "rural-types" pulling out their shotguns is cause us city folk don't usually have shotguns. Although, now that I think of it, maybe this quad-copter craze is a brilliant under-handed marketing scheme from the gun industry to create a demand for the soon-to-be-released "drone gun". Would our AMA cards double as a carry permit?
Old 03-24-2015, 11:16 AM
NorfolkSouthern

One clarification on my comment - the only reason I said "rural-types" pulling out their shotguns is cause us city folk don't usually have shotguns. Although, now that I think of it, maybe this quad-copter craze is a brilliant under-handed marketing scheme from the gun industry to create a demand for the soon-to-be-released "drone gun". Would our AMA cards double as a carry permit?
What do guns have to do with it? This is not a gun rights/second amendment debate. It is this:

And again, here's my answer: "I really don't see a problem with the rule making the way it's written, so there is no reason for me to comment. Somebody tell me: What is wrong with it? It does not affect modeling at all. It does, however, allow a provision for the commercial operation of drones, and I am fine with that."

Thank you very much.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:35 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
I really don't see a problem with the rule making the way it's written, so there is no reason for me to comment. Somebody tell me: What is wrong with it? It does not affect modeling at all. It does, however, allow a provision for the commercial operation of drones, and I am fine with that.
NS: You and I are in agreement on this. I tried to get the point across to HD in another posting. There is no threat to model aviation in the NPRM at all. I don't even understand the AMA issue with it. Everything said about it on the AMA website is irrelevant and appears to be based on a misunderstanding or a misreading of the rule.

However, I have noticed one rather odd thing in the NPRM. It seems that the FAA intends to allow commercial users to operate FPV using spotters. It seems to be a contradiction of the rather hard nosed FAA interpretation of section 336. I did, however comment about this issue on the Interpretive rule for section 336. So there is not much more that I can do. Although, I supose I could raise the issue in a comment on the NPRM. Perhaps we all should.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.