Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 10:42 AM
JohnShe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I believe the FAA interpretation of 336 says otherwise. If not following the CBO rules they may fine you, so effectively they are enforcing the rules.
If not following the CBO guidelines means performing some act that endangers the NAS, then yes, you will be fined. But, the FAA will apply applicable FAA regulations to determine the punishable act and to determine the fine. The absolutley will not use any CBO guidelines for this.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:45 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Johnnie She**:
Instead of running every one down, why don't U attempt to come up with a solution to the Problems we all face (Not if but when) some uninformed R/C Quad flyer or what ever, Causes a disaster and has an incident or accident with a Maned aircraft. The problem is not what the FAA is doing with the NPRM. The FAA is going to do what the FAA wants to do. Period. We have to educate, first the uninformed R/C Flyers that jeopardize our Hobby/Sport. Then we have to get the LHS, whole salers, and Mail order company's to some how to get these people they sell these R/C TOY's to to understand where, When and How they may Legally fly their TOY's.

As for My Tin Foil bonnet, I think it would be better suited on your Head, but That would be difficult for U until U pull your head out of the Sand and become part of the solution instead of being part of the Problem. JMHO of course.
Fair question, like some others, I hope, I support the AMA and FAA efforts to educate the public. As an individual, whenever I encounter a dangerous act, rather than endanger myself by confronting the imbecile, I will notify appropriate law enforcement. A warning from a cop or a stiff fine, can be very educational.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:55 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by microdon2
"quire"? - four sheets of paper or parchment folded to form eight leaves, as in medieval manuscripts. So, "Preaching to the Manuscripts"? Please explain - I'm losing thrust here.
Ha! Ha! Good one. All HD does with his colors, fancy fonts, grammatical errors, spelling errors and facetious spelling is give me a headache.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:33 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
If for no other reason than there is absolutely ZERO reason for them to enforce a non-existent altitude limit.

But in a more general sense the FAA is going to treat model aircraft that endanger the NAS the same way they treat manned aircraft. Which is to say that they will continue to enforce by exception. So cause an accident or reportable incident or have somebody turn you in, THEN they will take an interest.

Non existant altitude limit? The link you gave in the last document said that model airplanes are endangering the NAS if they are violating 91.126-135. Which is really confusing because you are required to have radio communication with a tower, but in class G air space you do not have to get permission from the airport and can fly to 2,500 feet. So I think the FAA and the AMA need an understanding on what "endangering the NAS" means.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:40 AM
Sport_Pilot

As though they just don't know chasin down a jetliner with a flippin toy plane is unsafe ? Come on buddy , you really can't believe that , can you ?
Actually I do believe most think it safe, because the toy is so small it would not damage the airliner. Course they don't think about smaller planes and don't know it could crash through the windshield taking out the pilot or passengers.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:43 AM
Sport_Pilot

Its really up to the manufactures and dealers who sell these quad products, if they want to keep on selling them and stay in business, to educate the users of them as they are already in a position to put the information about safety out there.
What are they going to do put something in the manual? Americans don't need no stinking manuals! Manual sounds too Spanish.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:51 AM
thepamster

What are they going to do put something in the manual? Americans don't need no stinking manuals! Manual sounds too Spanish.
How about a giant neo orange sticker on the box it comes in with the letters "RTFM" on it. Lol.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:05 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by thepamster
How about a giant neo orange sticker on the box it comes in with the letters "RTFM" on it. Lol.
And the manual would have a matching sticker with TITFM!
Old 03-26-2015, 01:43 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
H

Hound Dog,

I wish you would direct your energy to getting those same idiots off the road...LOL Most pass a test to get their permission slip (aka drivers license)...and one the most dangerous things we all do as modelers is drive to the flying field... Take a stance on something that really matters!!!

Originally Posted by init4fun
To HoundDog ;

Oh no my friend , you've got it ALL wrong !

No way in HELL am I gonna take any unpaid , unauthorized duty to crusade for safe operation of anything from toy airplanes to aircraft carriers !!!!!

Now if the FAA wants to PAY me and give me official authorization to police model aircraft operations well then maybe I might , iffin' I were lookin for work in the law enforcement field .

I'll bet UR the Kind of guy that let's every one pull the load when it comes to participating in ur club activities. And then U do nothing but complain about How it was done.

But to take it on myself to "teach the unwashed masses right from wrong" ????

Sorry pal , but such "crusaders" usually suffer a sad wake up call at the end of someone's boot !

ople for kicks ?Do you honestly believe that education is the key to getting knuckleheads to quit endangering people. Really ? As though they just don't know chasin down a jetliner with a flippin toy plane is unsafe ? Come on buddy , you really can't believe that , can you ?
Well If U 2 are UNWILLING to try to help save the Hobby/Sport, then don't Whine when when they take your TOYs away. U guys are probably to OLD to fly or drive anyway.

InIt I guess U are completely right ... I'v seen some Pretty stupid dangerous stuff at the AMA/CBO Fields that Just Educating DUMMIES is not the way to go. May be Videoing them and sending it to the AMA/CBO - FAA might get some Results, Where did U 2 say U did UR flying?
Old 03-26-2015, 03:29 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Actually I do believe most think it safe, because the toy is so small it would not damage the airliner. Course they don't think about smaller planes and don't know it could crash through the windshield taking out the pilot or passengers.
Sport: These small newly invented and world wide marketed quad copters are fine as long as they adhere to FAA Regs. and AMA suggestions, also known as rules but not stated that way.
Yes, they can endanger an airliner if injested into the engine of a Jet airliner or a small private jet engine.
Yes, they do present a danger to small propeller driver aircraft. Having one of these striking a perfectly balanced propeller, not counting, severing fuel lines , hydraulic hoses, electrical wirings, control surfaces, yes it could prove a real problem.

These small insects of a quadcopter resembling a drone, are one in the same. They fly by a ground Pilot, experienced or not, they do get flown by an idiot not abiding by the rules.Most of them are not AMA members, and no I can not states that as actual fact, nevertheless, they are the very people that will ruin this hobby, you can count on that!
Buying a new electric quad with a 5-15 year old at the local hobby shop it where the problem exists.
1. They know absoulty nothing about RC/ the AMA, or the written rules by the FAA in Print, and just go out and charge the battery, and let er rip.!!! They do not think about the hazards, Airliners, Small aircraft or Helicopters, that are in the air trying to perform a service, and " there is the danger". Like it or not, when these objects are in a flight path of a full scale aircraft, they do present a clear danger to the aircraft and people on board.
I don't do not think beating this thing to death will serve any purpose at all. I, and this is my opinion only,

Keep people educated on flying, know the rules, FAA and AMA Safety Code, and abide by them.
Keep advised on NOTAMS published daily by the FAA in Busy Airport Areas.
If we do not take any action on this, and the advisories sent to us, this hobby could someday become extinct.
No Flying Remote Controlled Aircraft, Period. Once at Fatal accident is proven, without a doubt, one of the quad copters created the problems, then it's over.

Last edited by FLAPHappy; 03-26-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:49 PM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
Sport: These small newly invented and world wide marketed quad copters are fine as long as they adhere to FAA Regs. and AMA suggestions, also known as rules but not stated that way.
Yes, they can endanger an airliner if injested into the engine of a Jet airliner or a small private jet engine.
Yes, they do present a danger to small propeller driver aircraft. Having one of these striking a perfectly balanced propeller, not counting, severing fuel lines , hydraulic hoses, electrical wirings, control surfaces, yes it could prove a real problem.

These small insects of a quadcopter resembling a drone, are one in the same. They fly by a ground Pilot, experienced or not, they do get flown by an idiot not abiding by the rules.Most of them are not AMA members, and no I can not states that as actual fact, nevertheless, they are the very people that will ruin this hobby, you can count on that!
Buying a new electric quad with a 5-15 year old at the local hobby shop it where the problem exists.
1. They know absoulty nothing about RC/ the AMA, or the written rules by the FAA in Print, and just go out and charge the battery, and let er rip.!!! They do not think about the hazards, Airliners, Small aircraft or Helicopters, that are in the air trying to perform a service, and " there is the danger". Like it or not, when these objects are in a flight path of a full scale aircraft, they do present a clear danger to the aircraft and people on board.
I don't do not think beating this thing to death will serve any purpose at all. I, and this is my opinion only,

Keep people educated on flying, know the rules, FAA and AMA Safety Code, and abide by them.
If we do not take any action on this, and the advisories sent to us, this hobby could someday become extinct.
No Flying Remote Controlled Aircraft, Period. Once at Fatal accident is proven, without a doubt, one of the quad copters created the problems, then it's over.
Buy at a hobby shop???????? How about Walmart ................... http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/quadcopters

The horse is out of the barn, the cat is out of the bag ect., ect., on and on........................... Enjoy your RC flying as much as you can as there IS NO, AND NEVER WAS ANY GUARANTEE THAT THE WAY IT WAS WILL LAST.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:12 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Buy at a hobby shop???????? How about Walmart ................... http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/quadcopters

The horse is out of the barn, the cat is out of the bag ect., ect., on and on........................... Enjoy your RC flying as much as you can as there IS NO, AND NEVER WAS ANY GUARANTEE THAT THE WAY IT WAS WILL LAST.
Brad: I know there is no guarantee on anything but" Death and Taxes", that is certain. On the R/C side. all I am trying to point out, is there is a problem with, Local Walmart, Target, any one else that sells these things to an inexperienced pilot in R/C, that has the vaguest idea of the AMA, FAA, and the circumstances they put themselves in without knowing the potential problems and outcome of making that purchase at Walmart or any other place, and the accept the outcome if a lawsuit is pursued, if the cause was caused by buying an object, known to fly in the NAS, and capable of endangering full scale aircraft? No, these people have no idea what;s in the background, and it's not going to be pretty if something happens. I am not trying to discourage anybody, just know what the possibilities are if something doe's happen, that's all.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:39 PM
cj_rumley

Brad: I know there is no guarantee on anything but" Death and Taxes", that is certain. On the R/C side. all I am trying to point out, is there is a problem with, Local Walmart, Target, any one else that sells these things to an inexperienced pilot in R/C, that has the vaguest idea of the AMA, FAA, and the circumstances they put themselves in without knowing the potential problems and outcome of making that purchase at Walmart or any other place, and the accept the outcome if a lawsuit is pursued, if the cause was caused by buying an object, known to fly in the NAS, and capable of endangering full scale aircraft? No, these people have no idea what;s in the background, and it's not going to be pretty if something happens. I am not trying to discourage anybody, just know what the possibilities are if something doe's happen, that's all.
Will the 18 year old kid working in the local HobbyTown make the drone buying experience safer that buying it from a WallyWorld clerk? Hobby shops are often unintentional non-profits. They rarely hire lawyers with experience in FAR to sell toy airplanes.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:05 PM
HoundDog

FAA Exemptions for 3DR DRONES

https://us-mg205.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.partner=sbc&.rand=c7h8vq3pcs7kq#mail
Old 03-26-2015, 05:50 PM
bradpaul

Considering the Germanwings crash this week and the Malaysian Air mystery last year, I am more concerned with the mental health of the guys up front then a 15 year old flying a toy.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:56 PM
HoundDog

FLAPhappy:
1. They know absolutely nothing about RC/ the AMA, or the written rules by the FAA in Print

Finally some one here that get's it ... NOW WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT IT. Why not Require every one that wants to Purchase /Fly anything in the NAS, take a computer administrated Course of study(read the AMA/CBO Safty Code and add ons along with the FAA explanations on flying Toy Airplanes. After a 24 hour waiting Period supposedly for study. After Which one would be eligible to take the Computer Test. On a suspenseful complication and a review of questions Missed a computer generated License much like the AMA card would be issued with the perspective Pilot and a computer issued Number. This would have to be presented when buying Flyable R/C equipment or when any duly authorized law enforcement request that U have the Right to in the NAS.
Why couldn't the AMA/CBO add this to their Web Site and make this part of the sign up for all potential AMA members but not mandatory to Join the AMA.

The whole Reason for this to attempt to educate those that wish to fly R/C in the NAS, At a minimum they have read and proven they Understand (When, Where, and How) these TOY R/C devices can/should/Permitted to be flown.

Last edited by HoundDog; 03-26-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:12 PM
bradpaul

FLAPhappy: 1. They know absolutely nothing about RC/ the AMA, or the written rules by the FAA in Print Finally some one here that get's it ... NOW WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT IT. Why not Require every one that wants to Purchase /Fly anything in the NAS, take a computer administrated Course of study(read the AMA/CBO Safty Code and add ons along with the FAA explanations on flying Toy Airplanes. After a 24 hour waiting Period supposedly for study. After Which one would be eligible to take the Computer Test. On a suspenseful complication and a review of questions Missed a computer generated License much like the AMA card would be issued with the perspective Pilot and a computer issued Number. This would have to be presented when buying Flyable R/C equipment or when any duly authorized law enforcement request that U have the Right to in the NAS. Why couldn't the AMA/CBO add this to their Web Site and make this part of the sign up for all potential AMA members but not mandatory to Join the AMA. The whole Reason for this to attempt to educate those that wish to fly R/C in the NAS, At a minimum they have read and proven they Understand (When, Where, and How) these TOY R/C devices can/should/Permitted to be flown.
Now you have done it! You have convinced me that there should be a written intelligence test before you are permitted to post on the internet.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:23 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Now you have done it! You have convinced me that there should be a written intelligence test before you are permitted to post on the internet.
LOL... that was a good one. What's so funny is even the most experienced modelers now would probably fail miserably... Well, if this forum is any indication that is....
Old 03-26-2015, 06:23 PM
cj_rumley

What you linked to is a commercial for ATT. Are they getting into the CBO business too?
Old 03-26-2015, 06:56 PM
HoundDog

Braddy buddy ... Again U probably would not / could not pass either a test on R/C but to post on the internet ... U and & CJ & sporty & JonnyS Just keep UR head in the sand there Big Bird. If U R Not part of the Solution
UR the problem. NOT JMHObut the Dirty unadulterated truth.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:39 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Considering the Germanwings crash this week and the Malaysian Air mystery last year, I am more concerned with the mental health of the guys up front then a 15 year old flying a toy.
+1 I really think keeping full scale aviation as safe as possible should be the top priority at the FAA and dealing with those who have demonstrated their actions can be a threat to
people or property on the ground and or full scale aviation next. After that I think the FAA should not concern itself with model planes.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:11 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by ira d
+1 I really think keeping full scale aviation as safe as possible should be the top priority at the FAA and dealing with those who have demonstrated their actions can be a threat to
people or property on the ground and or full scale aviation next. After that I think the FAA should not concern itself with model planes.

IRA:
Again U R Completly Wrong. It doesn't Really mater one Iota what U believe the FAA should or should not concern it's self with. The FAA has a mandate from Congress
1.) to Promote commercial aviation and all aviation in general
2.) to make the NAS safe for all aviation. Guess what that according to the FAA, it does include Commercial and TOY R/C Drones/Aircraft of all kinds. And it is Impossible for the FAA/NTSB ever to combat the rouge Commercial ATP Pilot that wishes to kill him self and take aboradall with him. Terrorist exempted of course.

full scale aviation as safe as possible should be the top priority at the FAA.
It is the top priority of the FAA and the FAA sees Commercial and TOY Models/Quads as a possible threat to all Aviation. Unfortunately again Not If but When an indecent/Accident occurs, the powers that be will not see the difference between the "IDIOTs" and all the R/Cers that fly responsibly.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:31 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[/COLOR]

IRA:
Again U R Completly Wrong. It doesn't Really mater one Iota what U believe the FAA should or should not concern it's self with. The FAA has a mandate from Congress
1.) to Promote commercial aviation and all aviation in general
2.) to make the NAS safe for all aviation. Guess what that according to the FAA, it does include Commercial and TOY R/C Drones/Aircraft of all kinds. And it is Impossible for the FAA/NTSB ever to combat the rouge Commercial ATP Pilot that wishes to kill him self and take aboradall with him. Terrorist exempted of course.

full scale aviation as safe as possible should be the top priority at the FAA.
It is the top priority of the FAA and the FAA sees Commercial and TOY Models/Quads as a possible threat to all Aviation. Unfortunately again Not If but When an indecent/Accident occurs, the powers that be will not see the difference between the "IDIOTs" and all the R/Cers that fly responsibly.
Well you entitled to your opinion but I don;t feel I am wrong at all, From a common sense point of view once the FAA deals with the RC flyers that are causing problems to full scale
aviation and people on the ground they have no need to worry about if someone received pay to take a picture or fly at a air show. If someone is flying on their own property and
not bothering anyone the FAA has no need to bother them and RC flying should stay the same as before all this regulation stuff started.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:35 AM
bradpaul

Braddy buddy ... Again U probably would not / could not pass either a test on R/C but to post on the internet ... U and & CJ & sporty & JonnyS Just keep UR head in the sand there Big Bird. If U R Not part of the Solution
UR the problem. NOT JMHObut the Dirty unadulterated truth.
dogdooman, I give credit where credit is due. Somehow you have managed to get me, lcs, sporty, Ira, and even JohnShe to agree on something. Keep up the effort to show your ignorance and pent up anger, have you even considered medication?
Old 03-27-2015, 06:44 AM
phlpsfrnk

dogdooman, I give credit where credit is due. Somehow you have managed to get me, lcs, sporty, Ira, and even JohnShe to agree on something. Keep up the effort to show your ignorance and pent up anger, have you even considered medication?
Brad,
Please add me to that lustrous list. He also appears to have something against old people with his cutting remarks and his constant need to draw attention to his posts with the annoying use of multiple fonts and colors. He writes like an immature youngster yet his profile says he has 60 years experience which puts him in his 70s+. Makes me wonder which end of the spectrum he's really in, maybe both.

Frank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.