Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 10:10 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
I'm Back and the Flying was fabulous , 90 degrees Light and variable winds & good company.
Just had to say that but,
Glad to hear you had a good day flying...we all needed that LOL Seriously, good to hear.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:13 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Glad to hear you had a good day flying...we all needed that LOL Seriously, good to hear.
Thanks it means a lot Hope your vlying is enjoyable as mine was yesterday ... Go'n ta 1/8 Air Force fly in today at the Sun Vally Flyers in north PHX gona be hot Mid to upper 90's Gota remember to take lots of water. Gota SSS and run 52.4 miles one way ... good thig gas is only $.33 round the's parts .... To All A Good day have fun keep the greasy side down and don't crash.
NOTE: this is the DOG: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-28_Hound_Dog

[TABLE="class: infobox vcard, width: 315"]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2, align: center"]AGM-28 in flight (showing the nose-high attitude)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Type[/TH]
[TD]Cruise Missile[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Place of origin[/TH]
[TD]United States[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH="bgcolor: #B0C4DE, colspan: 2, align: center"]Service history[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]In service[/TH]
[TD]September 13, 1960[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH="bgcolor: #B0C4DE, colspan: 2, align: center"]Production history[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Manufacturer[/TH]
[TD]North American Aviation[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Unit cost[/TH]
[TD]$690,073[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Produced[/TH]
[TD]April 1959[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH="bgcolor: #B0C4DE, colspan: 2, align: center"]Specifications[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Weight[/TH]
[TD]4,603 kilograms (10,147 lb).[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Length[/TH]
[TD]12.95 metres (42 ft 6 in).[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Height[/TH]
[TD]2.84 metres (9 ft 4 in).[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Diameter[/TH]
[TD]710 millimetres (28 in).[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Warhead[/TH]
[TD]790 kilograms (1,742 lb) W28 Class D bomb.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Detonation
mechanism
[/TH]
[TD]Airburst or Contact[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2, align: center"][HR][/HR][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Engine[/TH]
[TD]Pratt & Whitney J52-P-3 turbojet; 33 kN (7,500 lbf).[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Wingspan[/TH]
[TD]3.71 metres (12 ft 2 in).[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Operational
range
[/TH]
[TD]1,263 kilometres (785 mi).[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Flight ceiling[/TH]
[TD]17,100 metres (56,200 ft).[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Flight altitude[/TH]
[TD]61 to 17,069 metres (200 to 56,000 ft).[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Speed[/TH]
[TD]Mach 2.1.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Guidance
system
[/TH]
[TD]Astro-inertial guidance[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]Launch
platform
[/TH]
[TD]B-52 Stratofortress.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 03-28-2015, 07:49 AM
br549
My Feedback: (6)

The lore of using frozen birds is supposed to be a joke from what I was told. They use fresh poultry that is thrown into jet engines during testing to evaluate their ability to digest a flock of birds. A model may cause more damage due to metalic components. Frozen birds would probably destroy an engine.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:54 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by br549
The lore of using frozen birds is supposed to be a joke from what I was told. They use fresh poultry that is thrown into jet engines during testing to evaluate their ability to digest a flock of birds. A model may cause more damage due to metalic components. Frozen birds would probably destroy an engine.
Well, Canada Geese, flying into and engine, can do a lot of damage too.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:53 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

what ever happens with rc i think there area lot of people just talking about drone and nothing is really going on like they say why do we have to talk about drones everydayiam within 25 miles of 5 clubs never seen a drone in any club
Old 03-28-2015, 02:23 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by [email protected]
what ever happens with rc i think there area lot of people just talking about drone and nothing is really going on like they say why do we have to talk about drones everydayiam within 25 miles of 5 clubs never seen a drone in any club

Well" Sir: apparently you have not kept up with the current problem. I would kindly suggest you look at the problems facing all of R/C people flying, with the FAA and AMA putting out news letters. The news is a good tool if you use it correctly.
Why would you post, without knowing what is going On??? Unbelievable.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:29 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You more than likley wont ever see any in most clubs,WHY ? cause they dont want them ! , joe
Old 03-28-2015, 02:31 PM
[email protected]

flap happy i darn well know whats going on do you are you just talking to hear yourself
Old 03-28-2015, 02:33 PM
cj_rumley

Well, it might be different if you lived within 25 mi of the White House. They have a permanent flight restriction that rids the skies of junk that might obstruct drone operations, like manned aircraft.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:19 PM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by joebahl
You more than likley wont ever see any in most clubs,WHY ? cause they dont want them ! , joe
Really Joe? Since all RC aircraft are "drones" perhaps you might be more specific in what clubs don't like....

- A single rotor RC heli with a camera?
- A single rotor RC heli flying FPV?
- A 1/4 scale Cub with a camera?
- A 1/4 scale Cub flying FPV?
- A multi rotor heli flying with a conventional RC visual pilot?
- A multi rorot heli flying with a camera?
- A multi rotor heli flying FPV?
- Any RC plane, heli, multi rotor flying with GPS waypoint?
- Any scale RC model of a plane built since WW2?
- Any electric model?
- Any ARF?
- Any foamy?

Please explain why you would not want any of the above at your club?
Old 03-28-2015, 03:44 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Well, it might be different if you lived within 25 mi of the White House. They have a permanent flight restriction that rids the skies of junk that might obstruct drone operations, like manned aircraft.
How that work out when a DRONE cashed on the White House Lawn.
http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2...hite-house.cnn
Old 03-28-2015, 06:34 PM
cj_rumley

How that work out when a DRONE cashed on the White House Lawn.
Same as what is routinely expected at club flying sites. Crashes happen all the time in flyover areas clear of people and their things. No problem.
Any injuries or property damage when a drone crashed on the White House Lawn? See?
Old 03-28-2015, 10:44 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by HoundDogHow'd that work out when a DRONE cashed on the White House Lawn.

Same as what is routinely expected at club flying sites. Crashes happen all the time in flyover areas clear of people and their things. No problem.
Any injuries or property damage when a drone crashed on the White House Lawn? See?

CJ's: Original Quote

Ounce again CJ U missed the point. It's not that no one was hurt it's the fact that Unknowable people, are/will/do/did, fly with in the Radius of Washington no fly zone.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS590US617&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=radius%20of%20washington%20no%20fly%20zone

Again I QUOTE
"It is not possible to write in such a way that cannot be misinterpreted by a reader determined to do so."

Last edited by HoundDog; 03-28-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:52 PM
HoundDog

[QUOTE=HoundDog;12012393] Originally Posted by HoundDogHow'd that work out when a DRONE cashed on the White House Lawn.

Ounce again CJ U missed the point. It's not that no one was hurt it's the fact that Unknowable people, are/will/do/did, fly with in the Radius of Washington no fly zone.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS590US617&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=radius%20of%20washington%20no%20fly%20zone

Again I QUOTE phlpsfrnk
OH Ounce again, thanks
phlpsfrnk

"It is not possible to write in such a way that cannot be misinterpreted by a reader determined to do so."

Last edited by HoundDog; 03-28-2015 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:19 AM
NorfolkSouthern

People are going to do what they want to do as long as model airplanes can be acquired with nothing more than a valid credit card or cash in the pocket. Safety means nothing, and the AMA does not exist. The new NPRM is not going to discourage an idiot with a big wallet. It's just the way it is. It will probably stay that way until transmitters and receivers are regulated like guns. Mondays are a bummer if you work weekdays. Crap flows down hill, and plumbers get their checks on Friday.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:19 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Another rule of thumb: Only click "reply" ONCE, or you'll end up with a double post!

Last edited by NorfolkSouthern; 03-29-2015 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:50 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
People are going to do what they want to do as long as model airplanes can be acquired with nothing more than a valid credit card or cash in the pocket. Safety means nothing, and the AMA does not exist. The new NPRM is not going to discourage an idiot with a big wallet. It's just the way it is. It will probably stay that way until transmitters and receivers are regulated like guns. Mondays are a bummer if you work weekdays. Crap flows down hill, and plumbers get their checks on Friday.
Then MR. Train Engineer ( other valuable employee of the NF&S RR) why not require prospective R/C buyers take a computer administrated test on the Rules and Safety guidelines Put out by the AMA and the pertinent FAR's regarding When, Where , and How R.C toy AirPlanes ECT. be flown ... Much like Gun Back Round checks are conducted today.Seems simple enough to me. Present AMA members associated with a Chartered Club are automatically Grandfathered. Their Next AMA Registration would reflect that Fact much like the endorsement of Intro Pilot or Turbine Waiver.
Anyone Here with a better Idea "Other than doing NOTHING" please express your Positive Ideas here on how to forestall the inevitable Wrath of the powers that be from KILLING all R/C flying not if but when some RC flyer takes down some airplane and god for bide there be loss of life. PLZ if U have NO constructive Ideas Keep your Stupid Nasty comments to Your self.

A Sleeping Dog.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:17 AM
Sport_Pilot

It has been tested that a bird that is frozen does no more damage than an unfrozen bird. It is the mass and velocity that does the damage. Being metal will not matter much.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:55 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
It has been tested that a bird that is frozen does no more damage than an unfrozen bird. It is the mass and velocity that does the damage. Being metal will not matter much.
Sporty: Sure hope UR right .. A Flock of Canada Geese Will/Have done the Job. Sure glade "QUADS" don't travel in flocks ... OH OH Did ya see that Car commercial where the office workers try to seek out to the parking lot. Maybe "QUADS" do travel in BIG Flocks, If so we're all DOMED.
"Keep UR Batteries charged and the gear down & locked on final"
Old 03-29-2015, 08:11 AM
bradpaul

Then MR. Train Engineer ( other valuable employee of the NF&S RR) why not require prospective R/C buyers take a computer administrated test on the Rules and Safety guidelines Put out by the AMA and the pertinent FAR's regarding When, Where , and How R.C toy AirPlanes ECT. be flown ... Much like Gun Back Round checks are conducted today.Seems simple enough to me. Present AMA members associated with a Chartered Club are automatically Grandfathered. Their Next AMA Registration would reflect that Fact much like the endorsement of Intro Pilot or Turbine Waiver.
Anyone Here with a better Idea "Other than doing NOTHING" please express your Positive Ideas here on how to forestall the inevitable Wrath of the powers that be from KILLING all R/C flying not if but when some RC flyer takes down some airplane and god for bide there be loss of life. PLZ if U have NO constructive Ideas Keep your Stupid Nasty comments to Your self.

A Sleeping Dog.

Like the "Drivers Test" that you take before getting a drivers license, or often when you move to a different state? Not as if everybody obeys all the traffic laws, nobody speeds, drives recklessly or has accidents. Fact of life there are idiots and bad actors and no law or education will change that. The best case is that they are found and punished by legal system.

My solution................. just go fly your model airplanes and stop worrying about what is totally beyond your control to stop.

BTW, last time I looked you WERE NOT a moderator, we will post what we want to post. You can always decide to take your crackpot ideas somewhere else...................... nobody is forcing you to post here.

Last edited by bradpaul; 03-29-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:25 AM
cj_rumley

[QUOTE=HoundDog;12012395]
Originally Posted by HoundDogHow'd that work out when a DRONE cashed on the White House Lawn.

HoundDog, I know the tenant of the property got his knickers in a knot over this, but I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding. When the drone operator shows his CBO card, they will all have a good laugh over it.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:42 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

A Sleeping Dog.
Hound Dog, I've never taken a test to buy a gun or had to show my NRA member card. I think doing nothing is probably the best idea in this case. HMMM... Why do people sometimes feel they have to do something????
Old 03-29-2015, 10:18 AM
[email protected]

i see drones in my sleep must be something better to talk about better then counting sheep
Old 03-29-2015, 10:24 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Hound Dog, I've never taken a test to buy a gun or had to show my NRA member card. I think doing nothing is probably the best idea in this case. HMMM... Why do people sometimes feel they have to do something????
And you are correct. I've never had to take a test to buy a gun, or show an NRA membership card either. That's the way it should be. As long as you are a law abiding citizen, you have the right to own a gun and use it for lawful purposes. But what upsets modelers, is that once upon a time back in the Gay '90s, we had a Goldilocks economy and anybody who wanted to fly a model plane had to have an AMA card and a club membership. You either flew a plank, or an egg beater. If a club member felt you were unfit, you didn't get to play with your toy. Airline pilots were arrogant, mean spirited men, who demanded huge paychecks, and got their ransom. It was hard as heck to pass an FAA medical back then, and you had to have it if you wanted to fly anything but a glider or balloon. That was until the LSA came along and people could fly with a driver's license as long as they weren't denied a third-class medical. Drones didn't exist, and ARFs were just starting to become common. Most RC "pilots" still built kits. There was a learning curve involved, and no RC simulator existed, so you had to take lessons from an AMA instructor if you didn't want to crash. And that's why full-scale pilots weren't bothered by drones back then. There just weren't that many.

Fast forward to today. You can buy a drone at Wal-Mart, one with 2.4 ghz that practically flies its self. You can buy a bigger drone at a hobby shop. It's not about building any more. People want to get photos, and see videos of their surroundings without the fuss of going through the process of getting a pilot's license. There's an added bonus for those who were denied medical certificates: Buy a drone, and completely forego any vetting or time at the airport at all! Unpack, charge the batteries, read the directions, you get to fly without flying! So, now we're at the point to where its no longer modeling. But rather, the masses now have an affordable way to experience flight, any time and any place they wish. The AMA, clubs, kit building, and even ARFs are no longer needed. Everything, just like automation, is dumbed down to the point that no real skills or knowledge of flight is needed. This is what the people want, and it's what they are getting. Meanwhile, the modelers have to suffer the stiffening regulations aimed towards commercial drones. On the other hand, apparently the FAA has not targeted kit and ARF builders, or club members. They only want to protect their turf, which to them has been invaded by these little flying saucers with four propellers. The arrogant airline and helicopter pilots are mad as heck and not due to lack of money. They still get a king's ransom for their FUN, but feel their space is being invaded by drones. I can be reasonably sure that CFIs feel left out too. I don't care either way. I have a collection of locomotive horns I can go play with, and I'm just here along for the ride.

As for the railroad: I got my nick because I learned how to fly a model plane at a park that was right next to a busy Norfolk Southern industrial spur, and have an interest in railroad equipment. I do some volunteering at a working museum when I can scrape up the time to do so. I flew for a couple years, then decided to not bother renewing my AMA membership. I gave up mostly due to the lack of challenge. Everything is just too obtainable. There is no background check, no responsibility, no safety protocol, and no feeling of being in charge of anything. It was just too easy to fly on that trainer, get oriented, and signed off by the AMA instructor. And today, I really feel the need for a bigger challenge, something a little more difficult, less obtainable. Something I can be proud of. And this is why I won't fly model planes any more, but will only go up on a full-scale with an instructor. At least that will make me understand that there are limits, and that there are indeed some strict rules in place. Modeling will go on the way it has for eons. A test, or some vetting requirement would be nice to keep undesirables out of the hobby. But it just will not happen.

Folks, you might as well buy a quad. Embrace the technology, and what it gives. Fly one out of your back yard and hover over your house, and you'll see why it's so desirable. You can see things that even helicopters are not privy too. That's the future of RC. But remember, it's a privilege, not a right guaranteed like the Second Amendment. Best of luck! I'll be here, watching the thread. Thanks for listening to my rant!
Old 03-29-2015, 12:25 PM
HoundDog

[QUOTE=bradpaul;12012584]Like the "Drivers Test" that you take before getting a drivers license, or often when you move to a different state?

That's right but they know what the Laws are and that these laws exist. In the case of Quad flyers, most have no Idea of any of these rules & Safety Code or FAR's. A successfully past test to allow U to purchase your first
Quad/R-C thing, proves that U have at least read and under stand the LAW ... doesn't insure that people like U will obey the rules.

Not as if everybody obeys all the traffic laws, nobody speeds, drives recklessly or has accidents. Fact of life there are idiots and bad actors and no law or education will change that. The best case is that

To quote U BP "they are found and punished by legal system."
Just what if, because of Ignorance some one brings down a plane load of people and just what do U think the FAA/NTSB/White House, will NOT decide to ban all R/C that Fly's in the NAS? Think it through PLZ.

My solution................. just go fly your model airplanes and stop worrying about what is totally beyond your control to stop.

Hey BP: This is not meant to be condescending but, I'll bet from your post.
"totally beyond your control to stop". I'd gather U are the type of guy that just lets everyone else carry the water and because U paid your club dues U think I'm gona fly and forget any participation in club affairs or fun fly's ect. Just let others do the work.
Am I right there
BP?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.