Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 03:01 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
DP
Hound, what is that supposed to mean? Give me a hint.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:36 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
Hound, what is that supposed to mean? Give me a hint.
I couldn't erase something I wrote that probably would have gotten me SANCTIONED again. Then thought better of it. So I erased it as a "D"ouble "P"ost Thanks for the Inquiry.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:04 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

I couldn't erase something I wrote that probably would have gotten me SANCTIONED again. Then thought better of it. So I erased it as a "D"ouble "P"ost Thanks for the Inquiry.
I couldn't read something that you wrote then thought of it... its much better to read it. ;-}

Last edited by littlecrankshaf; 04-04-2015 at 04:06 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:46 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
I couldn't read something that you wrote then thought of it... its much better to read it. ;-}

WHAT in the World does that mean? Clarify PLZ On 2nd thought JUST FORGET IT OK? Get on with the discussion.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:06 AM
warningshot

[/COLOR]WHAT in the World does that mean? Clarify PLZ On 2nd thought JUST FORGET IT OK? Get on with the discussion.
If you ever read some of the stuff you wrote you would understand what he said.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:38 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Geez, I don't think I've seen that much mud slinging since I was at a mud race in Pensacola back in 1982.
Since I don't have an AMA card, I may be out of line posting in this thread but I am just as concerned about what's going on as any informed AMA member. Being someone that races hydroplanes, my concern is that boats and other surface models are going to get lumped into this "drone" debate between the AMA, Congress and FAA. I actually like the idea of requiring purchasers to take a test. Before I was allowed to race, I had to take a two part test, oral on the rulebook and then prove I could handle my boat, both on the starting stand and on the water. By implementing such a requirement, no one could say they didn't know what the rules are and the chance of a quad or FPV hitting a manned aircraft might just drop
Old 04-07-2015, 05:38 AM
phlpsfrnk

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Geez, I don't think I've seen that much mud slinging since I was at a mud race in Pensacola back in 1982.
Since I don't have an AMA card, I may be out of line posting in this thread but I am just as concerned about what's going on as any informed AMA member. Being someone that races hydroplanes, my concern is that boats and other surface models are going to get lumped into this "drone" debate between the AMA, Congress and FAA. I actually like the idea of requiring purchasers to take a test. Before I was allowed to race, I had to take a two part test, oral on the rulebook and then prove I could handle my boat, both on the starting stand and on the water. By implementing such a requirement, no one could say they didn't know what the rules are and the chance of a quad or FPV hitting a manned aircraft might just drop
Your concerns are valid and you don't need/require an AMA card to post here and your comments are welcome. As for the other thing we have a few here that suffer a disconnect or a loss of signal between their head and their fingers.

Frank
Old 04-07-2015, 06:20 AM
HoundDog

Hydro:
Looks Like Taking a Test to prove u know the RULEs and Proper handeling of your TOY Hydro boats hasen't been an impeadament to the Enjoyment at all. It looks like it has made the whole experiance much more managable and there for more enjoyable. Am I Correct?
That's What I've been advocating for TOYs that fly in the NAS but Many here object vigioursly to this idea. OH well it's redeaming to see one person believes the Playing with Certian R/C TOYs can be dangerious and fun at the same time if every one Knows the RULES and abides by them. Can't do much about the Abiding but can make sure every one knows that RULES exist and are supposed to be followed. Just like Traffic Laws some speed but that seems to be OK cause every one speeds. Sometimes it takes Law Enforcement to Issue Citations leading to Fines and possibly Imprisonment if something very serious happens. Our Problem with flying R/C TOYs (Unlike R/C Boats and other surface vehicales) they aren't Remotely likely to take down some air liner or any thing flying in the NAS. There for don't have the Potential of being BANNED because of one Rouge R/C flyer doin something that ends in the unthikable tragedy we all know, will kill our hobby sport.

OK I'll get off my SOAP BOX now before I rile up all the NON Belivers here in this fourm.
Sorry Frank, LCS, SP, and the rest of U too. OH FORGIVE ME WS I didn't mean to lump U in with the others when U desever special recognition ... SORRY.

JMHO and again ya got's ta fergiv the spll'n my Spells chkken ting got Kilt of sumpton.

OOPS for gots ta tell ya all I's gon Fish'n nope Gone Flying. Hope where ever U are the wather and temps/winds are condusive to flying today.

Last edited by HoundDog; 04-07-2015 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:31 AM
Sport_Pilot

As for the other thing we have a few here that suffer a disconnect or a loss of signal between their head and their fingers.
I think it is more complicated than that, something that might take a person like Ben Carson, or Sigmund Freud to figure out.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:59 AM
littlecrankshaf

Please excuse the snippets but a few glaring comments...

my concern is that boats and other surface models are going to get lumped into this "drone" debate between the AMA, Congress and FAA.

I guess you are serious???? But really... surface models getting lumped into the drone debate???
I actually like the idea of requiring purchasers to take a test.
So when grandma wants to go buy little Johnny a model boat you think she should pass a test to purchase??? Wow...no wonder hound dog agrees with you...I think he would like to give Grandma the once over. haha...
Old 04-07-2015, 07:32 AM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Please excuse the snippets but a few glaring comments...

[/COLOR]I guess you are serious???? But really... surface models getting lumped into the drone debate???

So when grandma wants to go buy little Johnny a model boat you think she should pass a test to purchase??? Wow...no wonder hound dog agrees with you...I think he would like to give Grandma the once over. haha...
Wow the HD solution is , tests in order to purchase, and listing RC fields on FAA Sectionals. Swap Meets will be fun......... "Sorry sir but I must see your test results before I can sell you that SlowStick" !!!!!!!!! And BTW before you fly it in the park remember to check the FAA Sectional Chart to see if the field is listed.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:43 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by bradpaul
Wow the HD solution is , tests in order to purchase, and listing RC fields on FAA Sectionals. Swap Meets will be fun......... "Sorry sir but I must see your test results before I can sell you that SlowStick" !!!!!!!!! And BTW before you fly it in the park remember to check the FAA Sectional Chart to see if the field is listed.
Looks like the Dog has a follower now... Makes me think about Chester and Spike...
Old 04-07-2015, 07:59 AM
HoundDog

BP, LCS, SP, WS, F And the restthat don't think we should do something to curb the Rogue R/C flyer before the Enivatiable happens. Well hope U can sell all your worthless R/C flying TOYS ... O He[[ we can put them all on floats (wings Clipped way short) and maybe the HYDRO boys can make a special race class for us ... OH But then most of U/US/ME old gezzers probably couldn't pass the ORAL test to drive a float boat, much less a Written test to operate a G-62 or DA/DLE powered Surface Floater.

Thank U all Again for UR vote of (*****). Just hope I don't have the LAST LAUGH when the enivatable happens.
I, Like most of us, have a lot of money tied up in R/C TOY planes. Now U all'z canz start's tak'n pot shots. Makeher good I's got thick skins and maybe 9Just like at the Field) when posting here one should "Leave your Feelings at Home"

JMHO again don't take Issue with the Spll'n Mi splls ckkr took's a Crap.

"GONE FLYING"
Old 04-07-2015, 08:42 AM
Sport_Pilot

"GONE FLYING"
Test results? Funny that the one proposing this is likely the one least likely to pass.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:12 AM
N410DC

... I actually like the idea of requiring purchasers to take a test. Before I was allowed to race, I had to take a two part test, oral on the rulebook and then prove I could handle my boat, both on the starting stand and on the water. By implementing such a requirement, no one could say they didn't know what the rules are and the chance of a quad or FPV hitting a manned aircraft might just drop
Though I am not an advocate of requiring testing for recreations/hobby model aircraft pilots, it would be more reasonable to require a test before one is allow to operate a sUAV. Anyone can purchase a automobile, but one has to obtain a driver's license before actually operating the vehicle on a public road. The same is true for full-scale aircraft.

The FAA has its sights focused primarily on commercial UAV operations. However, I am guessing we might see stricter regulations for hobby/recreational operations if there is an incident that causes actual damage to a full scale aircraft and/or the people contained within said aircraft.

Last edited by N410DC; 04-07-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:21 AM
Sport_Pilot

However, I am guessing we might see stricter regulations for hobby/recreational operations if there is an incident that causes actual damage to a full scale aircraft and/or the people contained within said aircraft.
They would have to change the law first!
Old 04-07-2015, 10:40 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really Joe? Since all RC aircraft are "drones" perhaps you might be more specific in what clubs don't like....

- A single rotor RC heli with a camera?
- A single rotor RC heli flying FPV?
- A 1/4 scale Cub with a camera?
- A 1/4 scale Cub flying FPV?
- A multi rotor heli flying with a conventional RC visual pilot?
- A multi rorot heli flying with a camera?
- A multi rotor heli flying FPV?
- Any RC plane, heli, multi rotor flying with GPS waypoint?
- Any scale RC model of a plane built since WW2?
- Any electric model?
- Any ARF?
- Any foamy?

Please explain why you would not want any of the above at your club?
Its just me but i have talked to other club members and they dont like them either . Iam old now but when young i took my cameras ,tent and and every summer i jumped on my 1954 harley hard tail pan head and road through 48 states taking pictures and memorys that have lasted me the rest of my life . You going to get that from mounting it on a rc plane ? Lmao ! Its the new lazy generation of filmimg i guess but its not for me and never will be. And my question back to you is WHAT FOR? lol joe
Old 04-07-2015, 10:55 AM
Sport_Pilot

If you are equating FPV with the pictures taken while traveling around the country, then I think you simply do not "get it". Its not about that. It's about better control of your RC, from the perspective a full scale aerobatic pilot would have for example.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:03 AM
N410DC

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot

They would have to change the law first!
Good point. However, I could see the law being changed quickly if a sUAV, model aircraft, etc. damaged or destroyed a full-scale aircraft, and/or killed someone. Lobbying for such changes from organizations such as the Airline Pilot's Association, the AOPA, etc, and agencies such as the FAA and Homeland Security would be enough to get this ball rolling.

Barring such an incident, I think the hobby/recreational use of model aircraft, sUAVs, etc. is relatively safe from stricter regulations. Despite what others believe, I don't think there is a substantial risk that an incident such as this will occur in the foreseeable future. Anything can happen, though.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:18 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
If you are equating FPV with the pictures taken while traveling around the country, then I think you simply do not "get it". Its not about that. It's about better control of your RC, from the perspective a full scale aerobatic pilot would have for example.
I have seen plenty of the videos taken of trees and grass by the cameras mounted on rc planes or FPVs ! Yea whoopy ! Ride your bike to the top of Pikes Peak and stop and take pictures or go through death vally when its 105 and take a few pics ,canoyon of fire and red rock in vegas . Take the redwood forest run they have every year in CA. .lmao Not even in the same leage of living it and seeing it in person. Most will never see it in person but it shure beats you guys way trust me.How many of the FPVs or cameras do you own sport flyer ? Fly your plane with your camera mounted on it and get a few pictures of you controling it . Ha HA yep thats fun ! lmao joe

Last edited by joebahl; 04-07-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:28 PM
TimJ

Hydro:
Looks Like Taking a Test to prove u know the RULEs and Proper handeling of your TOY Hydro boats hasen't been an impeadament to the Enjoyment at all. It looks like it has made the whole experiance much more managable and there for more enjoyable. Am I Correct?
That's What I've been advocating for TOYs that fly in the NAS but Many here object vigioursly to this idea. OH well it's redeaming to see one person believes the Playing with Certian R/C TOYs can be dangerious and fun at the same time if every one Knows the RULES and abides by them. Can't do much about the Abiding but can make sure every one knows that RULES exist and are supposed to be followed. Just like Traffic Laws some speed but that seems to be OK cause every one speeds. Sometimes it takes Law Enforcement to Issue Citations leading to Fines and possibly Imprisonment if something very serious happens. Our Problem with flying R/C TOYs (Unlike R/C Boats and other surface vehicales) they aren't Remotely likely to take down some air liner or any thing flying in the NAS. There for don't have the Potential of being BANNED because of one Rouge R/C flyer doin something that ends in the unthikable tragedy we all know, will kill our hobby sport.

OK I'll get off my SOAP BOX now before I rile up all the NON Belivers here in this fourm.
Sorry Frank, LCS, SP, and the rest of U too. OH FORGIVE ME WS I didn't mean to lump U in with the others when U desever special recognition ... SORRY.

JMHO and again ya got's ta fergiv the spll'n my Spells chkken ting got Kilt of sumpton.

OOPS for gots ta tell ya all I's gon Fish'n nope Gone Flying. Hope where ever U are the wather and temps/winds are condusive to flying today.
BAHAHAHAHAHAH! YEAH, and look now at where boat racing is at in the scheme of the hobby. NO ONE purchases or races. At least not enough people for it to matter...........

Last edited by TimJ; 04-07-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:50 PM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by TimJ
BAHAHAHAHAHAH! YEAH, and look now at where boat racing is at in the scheme of the hobby. NO ONE purchases or races. At least not enough people for it to matter...........
It appears he was talking about IMPBA racing. The other boat racing group, NAMBA, has no such testing requirement. NAMBA is bigger in the west/southwest, IMPBA is more mid-west and east coast.

Here is the NAMBA District 19 schedule for 2015:

http://www.namba19.com/Schedule.php

25 races mostly in California and Arizona. Most gas boat races are seeing 40+ people racing in multiple classes. Head up to Legg Lake in Whittier Narrows park most any weekend and you'll see a good group of local boat racers. Boat racing (gas, nitro,fast electric) is very much alive and well in the US and in the SW especially.
2014 saw 125 individuals post scores over the season. Compare that to the approximately 55 souls who competed in IMAC in 2014 in the SW region.

So I think your statement is fairly inaccurate.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:20 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I always wonder how long it will be before I am in town, and one just nonchalantly flies over ,never knowing where it started from, or ended up......
Old 04-07-2015, 02:54 PM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by joebahl
I have seen plenty of the videos taken of trees and grass by the cameras mounted on rc planes or FPVs ! Yea whoopy ! Ride your bike to the top of Pikes Peak and stop and take pictures or go through death vally when its 105 and take a few pics ,canoyon of fire and red rock in vegas . Take the redwood forest run they have every year in CA. .lmao Not even in the same leage of living it and seeing it in person. Most will never see it in person but it shure beats you guys way trust me.How many of the FPVs or cameras do you own sport flyer ? Fly your plane with your camera mounted on it and get a few pictures of you controling it . Ha HA yep thats fun ! lmao joe
Still using that Polaroid camera, Joe? Or have you tried out that new fangled digital photography?
Old 04-07-2015, 02:55 PM
Live Wire

We have had that happening for a long time before this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.