Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Old 04-12-2015, 09:10 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Good points. Maybe just me, but I can never understand the mentality that would want to short circuit any enterprise based on whether or not it was a money making venture... I can understand certain standards to insure consumer or even spectator safety but to prevent income based purely on license is against everything I understand America to be.
Cranky:
What don't U seem to (or maybe U do/Should) understand about "Bur-ack-ra-cys"? U above all of us here in this and other fourms should know that People given a little Authority will try to Userp every thing they can i.e. they thing\k they are to be in charge of every thing and every one. Look at where the FAA says NAS begins and who has the exculisive right and duty to control the NAS.

Really the MONEY things comes from the FAR's that prohibit & spell out that Any one with just a private pilot certificate from charging others for acting as pilot in command for compensation or Higher. For this U know one must posses a Commerical Pilot certificate and then must poses other ratings and a certian amount of maintiance facilities for some operations.

Again in our case I really believe it all started with the AMA/CBO & Congress trying to protect Hobby/Sport Model Aviation and telling the FAA How to do their Job didn't sit well with the Powers intrusted with the moderasaton of the ATC system. This being the case they replied as all Burackices do with an interpation opposit where able to the meaning originaly ment. e.e Ammendement #336 to the
FAA MODERNIZATION AND REFORM ACT OF2012
Sorry guys the durn spll'n ckkr thing is stl K-Put's any of U X-sprts know's how's ta bes fxn her. Be mighty gratsful fer soms reel goods help.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:00 AM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
IMO i think AMA may have Constitutional grounds for this. The FAA was given the skies to rule because of interstate commerce from the commerce clause in the Constitution. Full scale aircraft and even large UAV's are capable of interstate commerce, model airplane contests and manufacture flight testing is clearly not interstate commerce. That is they do not cross state lines to accomplish their commerce.
Good idea. I hope AMA picks up the ball and runs with it.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:09 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
The FAA's mission has nothing to do with interstate commerce. Just because they are part of the Department of Transportation is more of convenient placement.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:58 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by JohnShe
The FAA's mission has nothing to do with interstate commerce. Just because they are part of the Department of Transportation is more of convenient placement.
John: If the FAA has nothing to do with interstate commerce?, how do they justify FedEX, U.S.P.S., UPS, and other long distance carriers?
They, the FAA have their rules of transportation, overseas as well as in the U.S. They list every type of product that is prohibited to ship via Air transport. They do regulate that industry and with great vigor. They , I think OWN that, and the decisions are then passed to the court for a final decision. Most likely the FAA wins the contest.
The FAA Regulates everything regarding air transport and safety, including interstate commerce for Air Transport. One day they will Regulate the AMA . That is what I am against. The Safety Violations people are making in our hobby, in my opinion, will turn the tables on flight safety , then comes the reg's. It's gonna happen if it continues.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:42 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
John: If the FAA has nothing to do with interstate commerce?, how do they justify FedEX, U.S.P.S., UPS, and other long distance carriers?
Those carriers have to abide by the FAA's aviation regulations as that is all the FAA is in charge of. Just like the road trucks of those fleets need to obey the DOT rules.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:44 PM
bradpaul

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Except it is difficult to claim to be a "nationwide Community Based Organization" but not to engague in "interstate commerce".
Old 04-12-2015, 04:23 PM
JohnShe

They, the FAA have their rules of transportation, overseas as well as in the U.S. They list every type of product that is prohibited to ship via Air transport. They do regulate that industry and with great vigor. They , I think OWN that, and the decisions are then passed to the court for a final decision. Most likely the FAA wins the contest.
The FAA Regulates everything regarding air transport and safety, including interstate commerce for Air Transport. One day they will Regulate the AMA . That is what I am against. The Safety Violations people are making in our hobby, in my opinion, will turn the tables on flight safety , then comes the reg's. It's gonna happen if it continues.
You mean like the airlines. The FAA does nothing in regard to the commercial purpose of the carrier. The FAA is little more than a traffic cop organization.

The FAA will never regulate the AMA unless you allow congress to change the law. Of course in the AMA does something stupid, like getting involved with commercial and public service UAS operations, then we are screwed.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:51 PM
HoundDog

FLAPHappy:
This is exactly what I've been talking about and been admonished for my ideas. We as the people that are going to be punished for a couple of Rouge flyers that may not even Know that there are Rules/Safety Code/FAR's pertaining to flying anything R/C in the USA/NAS. What I've been advocating to preempt the enevitable is to Educate those that don't belong to the AMA/CBO of the existance and knoledge pertaining to the Rules/Safety Code/FAR's so everyone in the USA that has anything to do with R/C flying devices (TOY Airplanes). knows what is expected of them. This is to assure that they know when, Where, & How to operate R/C TOY Airplanes. Hopefully this will Keep the FAA/NTSB from over reacting and grounding all R/C Flying (IF/WHEN)There is a conflict between an R/C (TOY Airplane) and a maned aircraft.
Simple Nothing more or less. Srry folks but's ta darn spll'n ckkr thng still's brok.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:53 PM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by bradpaul
except it is difficult to claim to be a "nationwide community based organization" but not to engague in "interstate commerce".
lol!
Old 04-12-2015, 07:30 PM
HoundDog

dp
Old 04-12-2015, 08:44 PM
Sport_Pilot

Except it is difficult to claim to be a "nationwide Community Based Organization" but not to engague in "interstate commerce".
Non profit companies do not do commerce. Lots of regulations they get around because of that.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:51 PM
FLAPHappy

Here we go again, but this time it's a GYRO Copter that this idiot flew to Capital Hill from Florida and landed! He was flying this thing, in this contraption, and landed it to protest. Take a look at this, unbelievable. These are the types of people that make it hard on the FAA and us, to try to restrict this from happening. What would have happened if he was in the flight path of an Airliner? The people near there had no information or any idea this was happening. What a great Security System we have.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...ot-in-custody/

Last edited by FLAPHappy; 04-15-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:07 PM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here we go again, but this time it's a GYRO Copter that this idiot flew to Capital Hill from Florida and landed! What a great Security System we have.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...ot-in-custody/
I'm not real sure about regulation on these types of gyro-copters, but don't they fly under the regulations of ultralight aircraft? They aren't allowed over any populated area? And to come all the way from Florida without suspicion?
Old 04-15-2015, 04:42 PM
FLAPHappy

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
I'm not real sure about regulation on these types of gyro-copters, but don't they fly under the regulations of ultralight aircraft? They aren't allowed over any populated area? And to come all the way from Florida without suspicion?
Rod: to my knowledge, Ultra lites are modified aircraft, just like any flying machine, and a GYRO COPTER such as this fits that category. They must pass FAA equipment regulations and inspections in order for them to be flown by a person and demonstrate controlled flight of their craft. I do think that aircraft such as this are regulated and not to fly over populated areas. Just as the AMA requires us and the FAA, not to fly above a certain altitude, 400 FT. AGL. I don't know how high this guy was during his trip, but he had to be over 400 FT, the article did not specify this. Florida to Washington? My discontent with this is the NAS never picked up on this intrusion, so what good is it?

Now I learned they did know about it but did nothing. Who knows yet, but it will come out in the laundry tomorrow . What could happen next if it was some nut, terrorist on a mission? Kinda scary in my opinion.

Last edited by FLAPHappy; 04-16-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:28 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

wonder how much fuel he used to get that thing from florida to dc?
Old 04-15-2015, 07:35 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The FBI is investigating a small airport in gettysburg pennsylvania where they believe he took off from.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:23 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

At this point, the only thing they can charge the guy with is flying over DC without clearance from the FAA. Unlike the yahoos that fly quads without having any idea about whether it's legal or not, THIS GUY KNEW EXACTLY WHAT HE WAS DOING
Old 04-16-2015, 05:53 AM
JohnShe

Originally Posted by ira d
The FBI is investigating a small airport in gettysburg pennsylvania where they believe he took off from.
Gettysburg? I thought Florida was the other way.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:17 AM
bradpaul

He hauled it to to PA where he then took off from . These small gyro copters fit nicely on a motorcycle trailer and weigh less then 255 lbs.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:21 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:46 AM
JohnShe

He hauled it to to PA where he then took off from . These small gyro copters fit nicely on a motorcycle trailer and weigh less then 255 lbs.
Right, the Washington Post has great coverage of the whole thing, quite a story, lots of confusion and misdirection involved.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:55 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Right, the Washington Post has great coverage of the whole thing, quite a story, lots of confusion and misdirection involved.
SO true!!! Our society has gone nuts...back in the sixties there would have been all lot of fan fair but now its characterized as terrorism...we are going down that hole!!!!
Old 04-17-2015, 12:45 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

He just went POSTAL!!!!
Old 04-17-2015, 11:08 AM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Someone else in our club brought up this ad from Hobby People which seems to promote spying with drones:
http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php/spy-hawk
Also note the front cover of Model Airplane News. If an average person sees that magazine on a newsstand, they might get the wrong impression.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:39 PM
HoundDog

The only thing he was charged with is flying an unregistered air craft and flying in a ADIZ (Air Defence Idedentifications Zone). Restricted air space for around DC

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.