Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 07:32 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if he will get his gyrocopter back
Old 04-18-2015, 08:23 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by PLANE JIM
I wonder if he will get his gyrocopter back
Why not he was using it as a private vehical to deliver US Mail, Besides I belive the only time the government confascates vehicals is when they are used for smuggling drugs.

Spl ckrr stl's broke
Old 04-18-2015, 09:54 AM
JohnShe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Why not he was using it as a private vehical to deliver US Mail, Besides I belive the only time the government confascates vehicals is when they are used for smuggling drugs.

Spl ckrr stl's broke
Hah! And you accuse us of living in a fantasy world. He might get it back, but it will cost him a bundle, maybe more than it is worth.

Plus he will be hit with fines from the FAA, the Capital Police, The City of DC and Homeland Defense. He might need the Koch brothers to bail him out.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:29 AM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why not he was using it as a private vehical to deliver US Mail,
I wonder if he had stamps that were cancelled on every letter.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:36 AM
[email protected]

lets talk about more drones i like to get sick hearing about them
Old 04-18-2015, 02:27 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by [email protected]
What make's you like to get sick about hearing about Drones?. Who likes to be Sick?
Old 04-18-2015, 04:47 PM
HoundDog

[h=1]Gyrocopter Pilot Charged for Landing on US Capitol Grounds[/h]

https://gma.yahoo.com/gyrocopter-pilot-charged-landing-us-capitol-grounds-194015124--abc-news-topstories.html
Old 04-18-2015, 04:52 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by [email protected]
If U don't want the news media and others calling Our R/C Toys "DRONES" then We have to refer to them
as TOY Airplanes. This will hopefully take the heat off us that fly R/C responsibly.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:41 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Can't fix stupid!
Old 04-19-2015, 07:20 AM
HoundDog

This should be available in every Mail order site and all Local Hobby Shops.

http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/for-recreational-users/
Old 04-19-2015, 08:11 AM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by mike31
Can't fix stupid!
A buddy of mine flies MedEvac helis. He has a t-shirt that says "You can't fix stupid....But we can fly it to the hospital"!!
Old 04-20-2015, 09:06 AM
HoundDog

[h=1]Angry Chimp Attack! 5 Bizarre Drone Crashes[/h] By Tanya Lewis3 hours ago

Drones are becoming increasingly popular in everyday life, but the technology still has some kinks to work out.
In the latest example, a drone crashed and burned while carrying a shipment of asparagus to a restaurant in the Netherlands, according to news reports. The doomed delivery was part of a stunt the restaurant pulls every year to get the freshest vegetables. But something went wrong, and the tiny aircraft fell to the ground and burst into flames, charring its precious cargo, according to BBC News.
The asparagus fiasco wasn't the only drone disaster to make headlines. Here are a few of the more memorable ones. [5 Surprising Ways Drones Could Be Used in the Future]
White House down
In January, a "quadcopter" drone crashed onto the White House lawn at 3 a.m. The downed miniature aircraft wasn't a terrorist plot or spying attempt gone awry, but the drunken exploit of an off-duty government intelligence agent, who accidentally flew the drone onto the presidential property, according to the subsequent investigation. The event only served to highlight gaps in the Secret Service's already porous security system.
In March, the Secret Service said it would itself begin test-flying drones over the U.S. Capital. The announcement came just weeks after the Federal Aviation Administration announcedregulations for the use of commercial drones.
Angry chimp

The phrase "going ape" took on new meaning recently, when a chimpanzee at a Dutch zoo batted a drone out of the sky. The drone, which was carrying a GoPro camera, was being used to film an animal TV show, Fox8 reported, citing the Royal Burgers' Zoo. The zoo posted a video of the angry ape knocking down the annoying craft with a stick.
Prison plot
Further proof that drones have almost unlimited uses: One of these flying crafts crashed while attempting to deliver drugs, cellphones and weapons to a prison. The craft was found trapped in razor wire at a British prison, after it collided with a wall. It is thought to be the first time a drone has been used to smuggle drugs into a U.K. prison, RT.com reported.
Crashing in Congress
The one time you don't want to crash a drone is in a live demonstration in front of the U.S. Congress. But earlier this year, representatives from the company 3D Robotics apparently had a technical problem while flying a drone during testimony before the House of Representatives' Science, Space and Technology Committee.
"And that’s your worst-case scenario," one of the committee members said, according to the Chicago Sun Times, while another member added, "Maybe we won’t fly over people."
Lawn spy
When these new airborne visitors appear, they aren't always welcome. A Chicago couple was none too pleased when a stray drone landed in their yard, and they "trapped [the vehicle] with lawn chairs" until police came to retrieve it, NBC Chicagoreported. The husband called the incident an invasion of privacy, saying it could be a real estate agent or a burglar attempting to find out if anyone was home.
Follow Tanya Lewis on Twitter. Follow us @livescience,Facebook & Google+. Original article on Live Science.
Copyright 2015 LiveScience, a Purch company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:46 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

http://<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/P9rnTk6FBzs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There are some crafty animals there....
Old 04-20-2015, 07:31 PM
Flight Risk

This drone operator was basically doing what his model was intended for. He bought it with the intention of taking it to high altitudes and filming or flying FPV.
When the other full scale copters came into his airspace, he abandoned his flight.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:46 PM
Flight Risk

Originally Posted by porcia83
There are some crafty animals there....
Those nifty crashes are one reason I don't like the idea of packages being delivered or other non-critical applications of drones. Malfunctions happen. Props fly off,etc.. I don't know of a drone that can auto-rotate safely to a landing. Maybe 6 or 8 props adds a bit of safety in case one prop/motor fails, but not likely, especially carrying a load.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:28 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
Those nifty crashes are one reason I don't like the idea of packages being delivered or other non-critical applications of drones. Malfunctions happen. Props fly off,etc.. I don't know of a drone that can auto-rotate safely to a landing. Maybe 6 or 8 props adds a bit of safety in case one prop/motor fails, but not likely, especially carrying a load.
All Full Scale and a lot of Models have Teething Problems ... The first air planes, the first rockets. the first Helicopters, the first Tilt Rotors i.e the Osprey and The first DRONES also. Now there small Unproven Quad Copters (Drones) trying to prove them selves. It will happen if it is economically fesable and some one can make MONEY with the technology. It is here and it is going to be a common place thing some day. Just like the "AUTO" automobile with out a steering wheel or any visible means of human control, other than tell it where to go.

We already can use an IPAD or IPhone to program these Quads. What's next Program the auto pilot in your IMac or Pattern Plane? Will it become a mater of who wrights the best program that wins a pattern contest. Heck we are almost there with all the things pattern and IMac so called PILOTS do to control their TOYS with today's computer radios. Try to use Mechanical set up of the air craft with a NON computer 5 or 6 channel radio. That will separate the Pilots from the Radio programers. Sorry to U great Flyers but just think how well U would do at any contest with a 5 or 6 channel NON computer radio, Then tell me I'm wrong.

Heck I made an apprentice with "SAFE Techonolegy" Take off with only pushing the left stick forward, then holding the right stick full right till the plane made a 180 degree turn let it fly by it's self to the other end of the runway did another 180 degree turn to align up with the runway and pulled the throttle off and watched it land by it self. If it had had GPS w/ Return to home I would not have had to steer it. Of course this was under NO WIND condition. Just saying it's all possible, it's here now,and it's here to stay.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:45 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

All Full Scale and a lot of Models have Teething Problems ... The first air planes, the first rockets. the first Helicopters, the first Tilt Rotors i.e the Osprey and The first DRONES also. Now there small Unproven Quad Copters (Drones) trying to prove them selves. It will happen if it is economically fesable and some one can make MONEY with the technology. It is here and it is going to be a common place thing some day. Just like the "AUTO" automobile with out a steering wheel or any visible means of human control, other than tell it where to go.

We already can use an IPAD or IPhone to program these Quads. What's next Program the auto pilot in your IMac or Pattern Plane? Will it become a mater of who wrights the best program that wins a pattern contest. Heck we are almost there with all the things pattern and IMac so called PILOTS do to control their TOYS with today's computer radios. Try to use Mechanical set up of the air craft with a NON computer 5 or 6 channel radio. That will separate the Pilots from the Radio programers. Sorry to U great Flyers but just think how well U would do at any contest with a 5 or 6 channel NON computer radio, Then tell me I'm wrong.

Heck I made an apprentice with "SAFE Techonolegy" Take off with only pushing the left stick forward, then holding the right stick full right till the plane made a 180 degree turn let it fly by it's self to the other end of the runway did another 180 degree turn to align up with the runway and pulled the throttle off and watched it land by it self. If it had had GPS w/ Return to home I would not have had to steer it. Of course this was under NO WIND condition. Just saying it's all possible, it's here now,and it's here to stay.
HD: You are correct on somethings. The new drones, mostly manufactured in China, have great technology, and an afforadable price, so people buy these things to have fun. They are not aware of the RULES of flight, and some really don't care. That is what this thread is about.
Somebody wants to fly one of these, so they go to the LHS and buy one. They get it ready, then is where the problem lies,.... they do not know if it is safe to fly in the present position, or is it unsafe? They don't know, so they charge the batteries, then let er rip and the problems advance to the next level.
They figure, hey, it's autopilot, it takes off by itself,hovers by itself, lands itself, so nothing will happen,....WRONG! That's the problem right there. They, the Chinese developed this, and it is a big seller in todays market. Great technology, but sometimes not appropiate for beginners. Learn the rules before flying.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:07 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
HD: You are correct on somethings. The new drones, mostly manufactured in China, have great technology, and an afforadable price, so people buy these things to have fun. They are not aware of the RULES of flight, and some really don't care. That is what this thread is about.
Somebody wants to fly one of these, so they go to the LHS and buy one. They get it ready, then is where the problem lies,.... they do not know if it is safe to fly in the present position, or is it unsafe? They don't know, so they charge the batteries, then let er rip and the problems advance to the next level.
They figure, hey, it's autopilot, it takes off by itself,hovers by itself, lands itself, so nothing will happen,....WRONG! That's the problem right there. They, the Chinese developed this, and it is a big seller in todays market. Great technology, but sometimes not appropiate for beginners. Learn the rules before flying.
Notwithstanding the folks in clubs that don't want any part of this technology, it's a great opportunity for folks in clubs (both AMA and "private") to try to help these people see the wisdom is flying "right". Learn the basics of flight the right way, not recklessly and to some degree, expensively. We treat these aircraft as we do the helis, and have embraced them at our club. They have their own set up area, as well as flying area that is separate from the fixed wing flight line. So far I only managed to get one new person to join that I saw flying in a parking lot and got him to come to the field and check it out. Got him to sign up for AMA too of course.

Another thing I'd like to see (and have discussed with one of the larger hobby shops in our area), is the salespeople talking to these new buyers and explaining the benefits of joining a club in their area and starting off in the hobby the right way. They can tell pretty quickly when someone is new to the hobby and will be in over there head. I remember the first time in a hobby shop when I was ready to buy my first plane, a P-51 of course because...a P-51. Thankfully I got a on the spot re-education and a dose of reality and left with an Apprentice. Yup, plenty of replacement parts later it was still flying. The Mustang would have been toast right away.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:31 AM
ramboamt
My Feedback: (36)

HD, I belonged to a club that did not like Heli's, this was back in the 70's, I was learning on a 5 channel NON computer radio with NO mixing, talk about trying to hover and keep the nose in the same direction, and most of the members had no problem with me, after asking, to hover over the runway then the pattern crowd, a very small group that where the board of directors, called me on the carpet for flying a Heli at THEIR field. At the next board meeting I presented my case and they relented about flying at THEIR field and said I could fly out in the back of the DIRT parking lot. I finally told them to stuff it and quit the club and moved on to another club that had no problem with Heli's, heck, they even helped me out, and not longer after this episode the first club lost THEIR field, but that was another matter all together. So with any new technology the OLD school hates it and fights tooth and nail to squash it. As others have said QUAD copters are here to stay and the BIG problem is not educating the new pilots of what is right and wrong when flying in the NAS or even indoors. IMHO...
Old 04-22-2015, 06:12 AM
Sport_Pilot

So the pattern crowd was OK with it, but somehow the BOD found out?
Old 04-22-2015, 06:58 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

No, the BOD WAS THE PATTERN CROWD. This comes back to who is the "in group" and who is everyone else that we see in almost every activity. I agree with Ramboamt, it was time to go elsewhere when the BOD let it be known that it was THEIR CLUB
Old 04-22-2015, 07:38 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like some hobbyists quad wandered off course..

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...nisters-office
Old 04-22-2015, 09:04 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
No, the BOD WAS THE PATTERN CROWD. This comes back to who is the "in group" and who is everyone else that we see in almost every activity. I agree with Ramboamt, it was time to go elsewhere when the BOD let it be known that it was THEIR CLUB

Ok, but still confused. You said they said it was OK when you asked at the field, so I thought we were talking about a separate group.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:06 AM
Sport_Pilot

I thought everything had traces of radiation in Japan?
Old 04-22-2015, 09:11 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by foodstick
Sounds like some hobbyists quad wandered off course..

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...nisters-office
Not hardly, that was a political statement by someone that was highly upset over the restarting of a reactor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.