Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Old 04-28-2015, 07:47 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right...they may actually have a sixth sense and can keep their little toy airplane out of trouble in ways we could never imagine. LOL

Look...people already supposedly read their AMA application...then sign it... I can tell you from genuine first hand experience the ignorance abounds the membership.These little tests and documents all you guys want to push amounts to just a bunch "feel good" BS...Just read a few more pages in this forum for the proof if you doubt me.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:01 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure if you appreciate the limitations of manoeuvring a large aircraft quickly or sighting a small non moving object against a cluttered backdrop.
I do appreciate the limitations of seeing a small object. But this was not a factor as they did see it and reported this. I appreciate the ability of a large airplane maneuvering less so. Obviously it is less maneuverable than the sUAV, but they can turn fairly quickly when not limited to smooth turns for passenger comfort.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:07 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

[QUOTE: Look...people already supposedly read their AMA application...then sign it... I can tell you from genuine first hand experience the ignorance abounds the membership.These little tests and documents all you guys want to push amounts to just a bunch "feel good" BS.../QUOTE]

Not feel good BS at all. I would call it "A moment of truth", so that when someone that doesn't have an AMA membership says "I didn't know", they can have the paper saying they read the rules with their signature on the bottom thrown in their face as the cuffs are being applied.

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 04-28-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:09 PM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
I would call it "A moment of truth", so that when someone says "I didn't know", they can have the paper saying they read the rules with their signature on the bottom thrown in their face as the cuffs are being applied.
Hell...just shoot em...Tired of paying to warehouse the dipshifts...
Old 04-28-2015, 09:24 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=HoundDog;12030580] Originally Posted by HoundDog
Halleluiah Finally someone with some seance ... Now the problem is how to get Hobby King tower the LHS (Local Hobby Shop) to do some thing to assure that everyone takes the TEST and proves their knowledge Where, When & How these QUADS may be flown.

Originally Posted by ira d
If you require the registration of quads you would have to do it for all rc craft. I don't think model registration is entirely a bad idea and at some point it may come to that but
it will have to be the FAA to set something like that up IMO.
/QUOTE]
ira d:
Where do U see anything about "REGISTRATION" of TOY airplanes in this or any of my posts. I said people should have to take a computer "TEST" to prove they know the RULE and when, where & how to fly our R/C TOY's Including QUADS. PERIOD.

Hound dog, I apologize somehow I kind of got what you said and Hydro Junkie said mixed up as it was Hydro junkie that made the statement about a form being sent to the AMA/FAA by
the retailer and that is where I got the registration idea from.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:26 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I do appreciate the limitations of seeing a small object. But this was not a factor as they did see it and reported this. I appreciate the ability of a large airplane maneuvering less so. Obviously it is less maneuverable than the sUAV, but they can turn fairly quickly when not limited to smooth turns for passenger comfort.
Ok I understand you are talking about a specific incident - my comments are in general relating to airliners seeing and avoiding drones.

There are a few examples in this thread, which one are you referring to specifically? I read the example in the first post and also the one at Dulles airport or was it another one you are referring to?

Neither of the examples I read state the distance the drone was first observed and neither of them say the pilots took no action. Did I miss something?

Last edited by Rob2160; 04-28-2015 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:37 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Crank & Hydro: Crank glad to see ya back, been a while.
Both of U are correct but we as the informed and responsible R/C Flyers are the only ones that can save our Hobby/Sport from the DumBoos out there that, I am convinced don't even know that there are Rules for flying R/C Toys. I think that your LHS (Hobby Town) is doing the best for the Hobby/Sport and them selves by passing out the AMA "Know before U Fly" Literature is a BIG step in the right direction. Unfourtionatly, like Traffic laws and DMV Test only PROVE U ounce knew the Rules, Not that U will Follow them. That's up to the Individual and the Traffic laws provide Consequences for violations. But the Police and court systems don't punish the law abiding driver because of other traffic law offenders. So should make it clear to the FAA?NTSB, The News Medea, The Flying Public and everyone that if there are Idiots Flying R/C Toys Where,When or How that is contrary to the Rules they are the ones to be punished to the full extent of the law. Not every one in this great Hobby/Sport as a Whole.

Gota call the AMA today and get some of the Literature and take it personally to the LHS in this area. Think I'll get some for the LHS in PHX too.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:49 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Default this story has a shocking conclusion........

http://news.yahoo.com/ranger-uses-st...215856601.html

Wonder if he thinks the footage he shot was worth it?
Old 04-29-2015, 04:10 AM
Sport_Pilot

Neither of the examples I read state the distance the drone was first observed and neither of them say the pilots took no action. Did I miss something?
They don't say the pilot took any action which is usually reported in a near miss report. Nor the few others in the news. Heck one in Tallahassee was on the news as a near miss, but there was no near miss report! HYPE?
Old 04-29-2015, 04:27 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
You're right...they may actually have a sixth sense and can keep their little toy airplane out of trouble in ways we could never imagine. LOL

Look...people already supposedly read their AMA application...then sign it... I can tell you from genuine first hand experience the ignorance abounds the membership.These little tests and documents all you guys want to push amounts to just a bunch "feel good" BS...Just read a few more pages in this forum for the proof if you doubt me.
I agree that the notion of tests and a database of signed documents for each toy sold is more than just a wee bit "out there" , in a country where we don't have enough USDA inspectors to monitor even half the meat and produce that goes into our dinners each night . Our roads and bridges are literally falling apart and the electrical infrastructure is totally inadequate for the upcoming revolution of the "plug in car" . And these guys think the govt. is gonna throw in the $$$ required to set up and maintain a database of toys , rather than fix the real and pressing problems affecting millions each day ?

The sane approach would be that page one of the instructions that come with all flying toys has a brief run down on the safe operation of that toy and any applicable laws regarding it's use . That way , just the fact of owning the toy means that a set of safe operating guidelines came with it , and it is the fault of no one but the toy's operator if the guideline isn't read or adhered to .

Step one = RTFM

Step two = use it safely and have fun

Step 3 = Ignorance of the law is not now and has never been a successful defense ......

Last edited by init4fun; 04-29-2015 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:45 AM
Sport_Pilot

Why should the government be paying for infrastructure, or toy airplanes?
Old 04-29-2015, 04:47 AM
Sport_Pilot

Hell...just shoot em...Tired of paying to warehouse the dipshifts...
LOL, apparently the National Park Service has their on take on this! Taser them all!
Old 04-29-2015, 05:16 AM
dadragon

Leave the gov out of it they are into our lives enough.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:21 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

LOL, apparently the National Park Service has their on take on this! Taser them all!
Would have been nice if the ranger had taken all his expensive equiment and seen how it stood up to molten rocks.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:57 AM
init4fun

Why should the government be paying for infrastructure, or toy airplanes?

Through our taxes our govt. pays for infrastructure , has for years and not likely to change anytime soon ....

Originally Posted by dadragon
Leave the gov out of it they are into our lives enough.
I didn't bring them into it in the first place , just so ya know .....

When folks go mentioning of tests and signed documents to be kept (NOT ! my suggestion , that's for sure) Who , exactly , DO you think would be keeping these records ? I'd have to read back but I'm almost certain there was mention of the FAA administering such program by at least one of it's proponents ? And FAA = govt. to me , at least from behind the keyboard I'm sittin at .....

Last edited by init4fun; 04-29-2015 at 06:03 AM. Reason: :) The Devil is in the details ....
Old 04-29-2015, 06:23 AM
littlecrankshaf

Originally Posted by HoundDog

Gota call the AMA today and get some of the Literature and take it personally to the LHS in this area. Think I'll get some for the LHS in PHX too.
Hey...if it makes you feel better...go right ahead and get R dun. Probably will make the AMA contact feel like they didn't just waste another day as well. Just be careful of the background music you allow to run in your head while doing all these good deeds...circus music seems nice but it'll cause you to do much sillier things than the Star Spangled Banner.

Last edited by littlecrankshaf; 04-29-2015 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:38 AM
Sport_Pilot

Through our taxes our govt. pays for infrastructure , has for years and not likely to change anytime soon ....
They do not pay for electrical utilities, which is in much better shape than you stated. Commercial utilities don't just add capacity on a whim. If people started buying electric cars they would add the required capacity. Right now they are meeting capacities by offering discounts on energy efficient products as well as installing more efficient light fixtures on roads. The economy is helping a lot as well. Every abandoned building reduces electrical and gas demand.

IMO we would be better off if the government was not in water and road utilities. Seems every mob boss and governors nephew owns a paving company, but not bridge companies. So roads get paved every other year if they need it or not and they wait till the bridge fails.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 04-29-2015 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:52 AM
init4fun

Sure , I'll give you the point about my lumping electrical in with roads , and will go on to agree that the less big govt. involved the better . Just remember , I was not the one advocating for such nonsense as a test and license to fly rc craft .

And , not to stray TOO far off topic , but , , , I do believe all the coming plug in cars are gonna be the "nail in the coffin" with regards to our ability to supply electricity to everyone reliably . Hell , on a good warm day half of California goes into brownout as it is now ! Add in a few zillion giga watts for charging a fleet of giant lipos and we'll have the "great blackout of 2027" for our great grandchildren to read about in the way we studied the great depression ....

Last edited by init4fun; 04-29-2015 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Darned typos , Maybe my spell checker has run off with the ol hound dog's ...
Old 04-29-2015, 07:36 AM
HoundDog

[QUOTE=ira d;12030661]
Halleluiah Finally someone with some seance ... Now the problem is how to get Hobby King tower the LHS (Local Hobby Shop) to do some thing to assure that everyone takes the TEST and proves their knowledge Where, When & How these QUADS may be flown.

Hound dog, I apologize somehow I kind of got what you said and Hydro Junkie said mixed up as it was Hydro junkie that made the statement about a form being sent to the AMA/FAA by
the retailer and that is where I got the registration idea from.
ira d: No Harm No Foul. Like at the flying field "U should leave your feelings at Home".
I go further to say when U post on RCU especially. Again apology accepted, but Not needed.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:37 AM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

That is not regulation, but soon will be. Still the sUAV pilot should have stayed away from the airliner, but that is not my point. The airliner should also avoid the sUAV. So far they do not seem to be trying. Are they not worried about the sUAV?
Sport, I have a problem following your statement. Yes, any sUAV should aviod a full scale aircraft.
The airliner on final approach,traveling at 160 knots, flaps down, weighing 300 tonnes, can not take drastic avoidance procedures without stalling the aircraft. The second point is, more likely than not, the pilot will not see the uSAv until it's to late, he has his hands full right then and his main object is to land the aircraft safely. The airliner should not have to avoid a uSAV, which I mentioned earlier, the uSAV should not be in that airspace in the first place. Our own AMA manual , in rule 2.c. states not to fly within 3 Miles of an airport or above 400ft AGL. No airport that handles airliners with allow model airplanes,uSAV's to fly in that airspace.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:41 AM
Sport_Pilot

I do believe all the coming plug in cars are gonna be the "nail in the coffin" with regards to our ability to supply electricity to everyone reliably .
NaH, Our electrical company is trying to give away electricity with their charging stations. You can come and charge in 10 minutes for free. Yet I will pay for gas because of the short range. Even 10 minute charges are more time than filling up your tank. Electric will not become popular till they bring fuel cells on market, and that won't happen till they build fusion power plants, at least a decade away.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:49 AM
HoundDog

Hey...if it makes you feel better...go right ahead and get R dun. Probably will make the AMA contact feel like they didn't just waste another day as well. Just be careful of the background music you allow to run in your head while doing all these good deeds...circus music seems nice but it'll cause you to do much sillier things than the Star Spangled Banner.
Cranky, cranky, cranky there U go again Showing your Disdain for the AMA and anything they might (Or might NOT) do to Improve the situation of TOY Airplanes being flown by Rouge "Quad" flyers, When Where and How, Contrary to the Rules, Safety Code, or the FAR's. Really Cranky If U have NOTHING Constructive to add to these fourms, why bother. If U are not part of the "Salutation" U are Probably part of the problem.
Just go Flying or build and save your self and others a lot of frustration. I bid U a Good Day, If U are capable of one with your disposition and all. U are a Hoot. Maybe I should have made this a private message
. OH Well.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:03 AM
Sport_Pilot

The airliner on final approach,traveling at 160 knots, flaps down, weighing 300 tonnes, can not take drastic avoidance procedures without stalling the aircraft.
I do not see that as an excuse to avoid a mid air. If you miss by one millimeter you miss. Weight has nothing to do with this, as the planes wing areas match the weight. However size does, as obviously it cannot turn a radius smaller than itself. Airliners are much more maneurvable than you apparently think. Loops and rolls have been done with many models. Besides per Part 91 they are required to avoid other aircraft. Sitting in your captains seat watching is not avoiding.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:16 AM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

I do not see that as an excuse to avoid a mid air. If you miss by one millimeter you miss. Weight has nothing to do with this, as the planes wing areas match the weight. However size does, as obviously it cannot turn a radius smaller than itself. Airliners are much more maneurvable than you apparently think. Loops and rolls have been done with many models. Besides per Part 91 they are required to avoid other aircraft. Sitting in your captains seat watching is not avoiding.
Again, I think you missed my point. Why should an airliner have to avoid a drone? They are not be be within 3 miles of an airport and not over 400 ft. AGL.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:10 AM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not even sure how an airliner heading toward a "drone" would maneuver around it. We've all seen these little things change altitude and location in a blink of an eye. In Formula 1 racing the drivers learn to aim at a crash because by the time they get there, the wreckage will have moved.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.