Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 05:28 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
I'd rather put ice, fresh lime juice, Cointreau, and some good tequila in the blended. But that's just me.
+1 Now there is a good idea!.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:25 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
We are not talking about low mass bullets flying at supersonic speed, the soft bullet would be deformed by blasting through the sound barrier and would no longer be small enough to penetrate. We are talking about medium mass object flying at subsonic speeds and constrained enough that it will not easily deform. For example on mythbusters they found no difference in shooting a frozen or thawed chicken through a windshield of an airplane. The damage is done by the impact not a hard object, the blender is not an equal comparison. That is a much lower kinectic energy situation with hardend blades, still the likely result is that the blades get bent from the engine, and dulled from the bones. The aircraft engine uses softer but much stronger blades and the damage is not caused by contact with hard objects but a sudden impact. Yes the motor will nick and cut the blades more than the chicken, but that is minor damage the engine will run through. It is total breakage and missing blades that will do the jet engine in, not cuts and nicks.
Mythbusters later revised their findings and determined frozen chickens are more damaging

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2004/02/m...icken_gun.html

http://mythbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Chicken_Gun_Myth

I personally doubt a jet engine could survive ingesting a 2-3 Kilogram drone with 4 hard metal engines and a 500 gram battery with only nicks and cuts on the blades but lets hope we never find out.

Last edited by Rob2160; 05-20-2015 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:38 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Mythbusters later revised their findings and determined frozen chickens are more damaging

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2004/02/m...icken_gun.html

http://mythbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Chicken_Gun_Myth

I personally doubt a jet engine could survive ingesting a 2-3 Kilogram drone with 4 hard metal engines and a 500 gram battery with only nicks and cuts on the blades but lets hope we never find out.
Per the Mythbusters conclusion.

Result of myth: when a chicken is flying that fast, it don't matter what temperature it is.

They did find that a frozen chicken did more damage, but the result for the higher speeds that a jetliner flies at made little difference. The high kinetic energy overwhelms any difference the hardness makes. The motors on such a small sUAV just don't weigh that much. The batteries would do more damage. But its the total combined weight that will determine the actual damage.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:17 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Also, Mythbusters was using the windshield made for a Cessna 172 Skyhawk, not the pressure and impact rated material used in modern jetliners. As far as what will and won't damage an engine, I have seen a standard Bic pen destroy an F-14 Tomcat engine while running at ground idle. It takes little very little to unbalance an engine and an unbalanced engine will self destruct very quickly. If you need an example, look back to the Quantas Airbus plane that had an engine explode in flight and how much damage it caused and how hard it was for the crew, including extra high hour check pilots, to get it on the plane back on the ground safely https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LYcpVtaDD0
Old 05-20-2015, 08:42 AM
Sport_Pilot

An f-14 Tomcat is not an airliner engine, and not a fan jet. Airliners are rated to injest 5 KG birds and continue running. The fan helps as it tends to send the bird parts out away from the compressor inlet. Yes a missing blade can cause a large amount of damage, but it usually takes something larger than that. That is not saying it would never happen, only unlikely.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:11 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by smeckert
wonder if i can get a couple million federal dollars to try and educate the ducks and geese on flight safety?
lol
Old 05-20-2015, 09:39 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
In all reality, if you lived in Trumbull you'd probably hire "the help" to do the shooting for you, it's just easier that way. To many country club outings to go instead of getting the hands dirty with a gun!
Not really. My neighbor would go deer hunting at night regularly. And he was always in by the time the cops showed up. Trumbull spends most of its money on the Trumbull head weanies than on needed services.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:42 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ira d
I can tell you that in many areas of the country including the pro gun states that firing a gun without a valid cause can wind you up in jail in fact you can't even fire a warning shot.
Unless you are at a legal gun range the only reason accepted for firing a gun is self defense and firing at mode airplanes wont qualify as self defense. Also legally hunting
in a area that is legal to hunt in would be about the only other reason you can fire a gun.
See above comment.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:55 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Not really. My neighbor would go deer hunting at night regularly. And he was always in by the time the cops showed up. Trumbull spends most of its money on the Trumbull head weanies than on needed services.
but...but they work so hard for their constituencies....they earn every penny. lol.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:51 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
See above comment.
I am well aware that you can sometimes get away with firing a gun that even holds true here in anti gun calif as the police can't be everywhere all the time. This discussion
started because a guy said he would shoot down drones and another said you could. IMO there is a big difference between shooting at someone's property in the daytime
where they will immediately call the police and report a crime and/or a description of the person firing or a general description of where the shots came from.

However in the nighttime hunting you talked about the police likely only showed up because someone called and reported hearing shots in a somewhat general area .
Old 05-20-2015, 01:27 PM
Hydro Junkie

An f-14 Tomcat is not an airliner engine, and not a fan jet. Airliners are rated to injest 5 KG birds and continue running. The fan helps as it tends to send the bird parts out away from the compressor inlet. Yes a missing blade can cause a large amount of damage, but it usually takes something larger than that. That is not saying it would never happen, only unlikely.
I am well aware of the fact that the F-14's engine is not the same as the present day jetliner engines. My point is that the pen only has to damage one blade in the front fan to destroy an engine. With a .91 bypass ratio, only half the air went through the compressors
Old 05-20-2015, 02:08 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

OK, This Clown that landed on the White House Lawn, is getting what he deserves. Wish it were more.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...cmp=latestnews
Old 05-20-2015, 02:20 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

A jet engine is just that, a jet engine. They have blades in the front, which narrow down to the compressor stage. There is where the problem occurs. The blades already fractured by a foreign object other than AIR, chicken or what not , will not go into the compression state. The fractured blades with the other foreign object then enter the compression stage, when that takes place, the engine will self disstruct, implode within itself creating an engine failure. Jet fighter, bomber, Airliner, jets engines operate on the same principal, air in air out. Any object sucked into those fan blades with create havoc in that engine.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:39 PM
Rob2160

Per the Mythbusters conclusion.

Result of myth: when a chicken is flying that fast, it don't matter what temperature it is.

They did find that a frozen chicken did more damage, but the result for the higher speeds that a jetliner flies at made little difference. The high kinetic energy overwhelms any difference the hardness makes. The motors on such a small sUAV just don't weigh that much. The batteries would do more damage. But its the total combined weight that will determine the actual damage.
I guess it also depends on the size of UAV we are talking about. - a small Phantom or Blade 350QX will do less damage than a larger machine. I have a UAV almost 1 meter across that weighs 4.5 Kilograms (10lbs) - most of the construction is metal, the motors are 150 grams each and it carries a 1 kilogram battery.

That would do very nasty things to a jet engine or cockpit windscreen impacting at 300 Kts.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:46 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
A jet engine is just that, a jet engine. They have blades in the front, which narrow down to the compressor stage. There is where the problem occurs. The blades already fractured by a foreign object other than AIR, chicken or what not , will not go into the compression state. The fractured blades with the other foreign object then enter the compression stage, when that takes place, the engine will self disstruct, implode within itself creating an engine failure. Jet fighter, bomber, Airliner, jets engines operate on the same principal, air in air out. Any object sucked into those fan blades with create havoc in that engine.
Like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1jZvlFmqQU I have personally experienced four bird strikes while flying jet aircraft, 1. did no damage to a wing leading edge, only blood stains, 2, No damage to a windscreen, it happened at low speed on landing, 3 and 4 went into engines causing minor damage to the compressor blades which needed replacing.

We also had an incident where the engine ingested several medium size pieces of iron ore gravel - though smaller than the birds, they did far more damage and the engine had to be replaced.

Last edited by Rob2160; 05-20-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:41 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Also, Mythbusters was using the windshield made for a Cessna 172 Skyhawk, not the pressure and impact rated material used in modern jetliners. As far as what will and won't damage an engine, I have seen a standard Bic pen destroy an F-14 Tomcat engine while running at ground idle. It takes little very little to unbalance an engine and an unbalanced engine will self destruct very quickly. If you need an example, look back to the Quantas Airbus plane that had an engine explode in flight and how much damage it caused and how hard it was for the crew, including extra high hour check pilots, to get it on the plane back on the ground safely https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LYcpVtaDD0
Good points… Qantas is actually spelled without a U

It started as "Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Service".

Last edited by Rob2160; 05-20-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:29 PM
Sport_Pilot

Not news to me. These engines are tested with birds that are much larger than a 5 pound sUAV and they keep going.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:20 PM
Rob2160

Not news to me. These engines are tested with birds that are much larger than a 5 pound sUAV and they keep going.
Tell that to Sullenberger..

It sounds good in theory and I wish it were true in all cases but facts prove otherwise - foreign object ingestion can and does cause engine failures.

The FAA certification standard for a large bird strike (above 1.85Kg - 4.07lbs) in a turbine engine does not require the engine to continue producing power.

It only requires the damage to be contained within the engine and not result in further damage to the aircraft / airframe.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu.../ac33.76-1.pdf

Even forgetting about the engines, impact damage anywhere on the airframe can also result in a crash e.g. the Concorde - which was brought down by a 10lb piece of rubber hitting the wing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-05-21 at 4.13.42 PM.png
Views:	54
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	2097428  
Old 05-21-2015, 04:03 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

OK, This Clown that landed on the White House Lawn, is getting what he deserves. Wish it were more.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...cmp=latestnews
This Clown won't get much beyond probation. His reason was to protest to congress that they are bought and paid for with campaign donations by PACs and other special interest groups. The Congress won't want a lengthily discussion played out in the news media. Besides all he really did was prove that the white defenses are in fact useless. Hope they don't think sUAS's are again a problem.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

Tell that to Sullenberger..

It sounds good in theory and I wish it were true in all cases but facts prove otherwise - foreign object ingestion can and does cause engine failures.

The FAA certification standard for a large bird strike (above 1.85Kg - 4.07lbs) in a turbine engine does not require the engine to continue producing power.

It only requires the damage to be contained within the engine and not result in further damage to the aircraft / airframe.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu.../ac33.76-1.pdf

Even forgetting about the engines, impact damage anywhere on the airframe can also result in a crash e.g. the Concorde - which was brought down by a 10lb piece of rubber hitting the wing.
Wrong standard. The AC which is voluntary only covers engines not required to be certified per CFR 33-77 AKA airliners. Per that standard a large bird is 8 pounds and the standard is as you say, but of course safe shutdown will not bring down a multiengine aircraft. For 5 pound birds as you say the standard is no more than a 50% loss of power. However, many engines exceed the standard and keep providing thrust with large 8 pound birds, and even if the engine shuts down it will not bring down a large multiengine aircraft. The miracle on Hudson flight flew through a large flock of geese probably larger than 8 pounds. But we were discussing sUAF which by definition weigh less than 5 pounds.

http://lessonslearned.faa.gov/ll_mai...41&LLTypeID=10

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 05-21-2015 at 04:41 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:47 AM
Sport_Pilot

Like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1jZvlFmqQU I have personally experienced four bird strikes while flying jet aircraft, 1. did no damage to a wing leading edge, only blood stains, 2, No damage to a windscreen, it happened at low speed on landing, 3 and 4 went into engines causing minor damage to the compressor blades which needed replacing.

We also had an incident where the engine ingested several medium size pieces of iron ore gravel - though smaller than the birds, they did far more damage and the engine had to be replaced.

Hard sharp gravel will damage nearly all of the blades, but likely the engine ran long enough to land. With a sUAV the engine is not sharp and soft metal, not hard carbon steel. I believe the battery would do more damage as it is likely longer than the space between the blades and will toss around till it lines up so that it is lying parallel to the blades. Or it will pass though when the blades cut it. Then the battery acids will damage the blades. Still I doubt this would cause a certified airliner engine to lose all thrust.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:58 AM
Sport_Pilot

I guess it also depends on the size of UAV we are talking about. - a small Phantom or Blade 350QX will do less damage than a larger machine. I have a UAV almost 1 meter across that weighs 4.5 Kilograms (10lbs) - most of the construction is metal, the motors are 150 grams each and it carries a 1 kilogram battery.

That would do very nasty things to a jet engine or cockpit windscreen impacting at 300 Kts.
The topic is sUAV (which weight less than 5 pounds), such as bought at the store and flown by idiots who don't know and/or don't care about regulations.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:56 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

The topic is sUAV (which weight less than 5 pounds), such as bought at the store and flown by idiots who don't know and/or don't care about regulations.
Sport .... That's what I've been saying all along ... Now how do we Educate the Educatable and prosecute the ones that don't care about regulations. That's the $64 million dollar question here?
Old 05-21-2015, 06:05 AM
Sport_Pilot

Now how do we Educate the Educatable and prosecute the ones that don't care about regulations.
I suspect the FAA will do that. The AMA will do their part but of course they cannot reach those who are not in the AMA. People have suggested putting notice in the manual, but doubt many would read it.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:26 AM
Hydro Junkie

Okay guys, we are all forgetting one simple fact:
A BIRD'S BONES ARE THIN WALLED AND FRAGILE, A QUAD'S ARMS ARE NOT.
The plastic or aluminum of the quad's structure is much more durable than a bird's skeleton so the blade damage will be much more severe than a bird being sucked through. Going back to the "Bic" pen, it takes much more force to break the pen's outer tube than it does to break a much larger bird bone

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 05-21-2015 at 06:30 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.