Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Old 06-07-2015, 06:36 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
O/K...we will see a change in what? Like be specific. And it has to be an airliner I take it, not a smaller plane or a heli, or say a train?. Not scary enough an example? Avoid the temptation to sensationalize (just as other complain that the media does), or give a vague "bad things gonna happen" ala chicken little. It gets to a point where I think people actually want something really bad to happen so they can finally say, aha, see I said it was going to happen. We have an ungodly amount of rules and regs on virtually everything we do, and yet cars crash, laws are broken, planes fall out of the sky, etc etc. This solves absolutely nothing:

Nor does this:

No. It doe's not to have to be an airliner, it could involve a scale Cub, Heli or anything else that fly's with a person or people onboard. It is not "Chicken Little" as you say, but it is a reality, otherwise it published almost every week on the National News. This is a problem, like it or not and it will have to be handled by smarter and more intelligent people that handle these types of unlawful acts.
No,Nobody wants anything Bad to happen, are you Nuts?
All I was trying to get across is the point this can't continue the way it is, or you my friend will see more Regs, than you have seen in along time.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:13 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
No. It doe's not to have to be an airliner, it could involve a scale Cub, Heli or anything else that fly's with a person or people onboard. It is not "Chicken Little" as you say, but it is a reality, otherwise it published almost every week on the National News. This is a problem, like it or not and it will have to be handled by smarter and more intelligent people that handle these types of unlawful acts.
All I was trying to get across is the point this can't continue the way it is, or you my friend will see more Regs, than you have seen in along time.
No, it can't continue the way it is. But it WILL. People will make a way, if they can't find a way.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:36 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

O/K...we will see a change in what? Like be specific. And it has to be an airliner I take it, not a smaller plane or a heli, or say a train?. Not scary enough an example? Avoid the temptation to sensationalize (just as other complain that the media does), or give a vague "bad things gonna happen" ala chicken little. It gets to a point where I think people actually want something really bad to happen so they can finally say, aha, see I said it was going to happen. We have an ungodly amount of rules and regs on virtually everything we do, and yet cars crash, laws are broken, planes fall out of the sky, etc etc.

This solves absolutely nothing:

Nor does this:

Then porcia83; What would be your solution? If U have the answers Please tell the rest of us.

In any case I still believe that the offending Individual has to be made responsible for their actions
in the eyes of the authorities, the public, & the News Media, Not the hobby as a whole. How that is accomplished is the is still the 800 LB Gorilla in the room.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:55 AM
Sport_Pilot

Just wait until an airliner is involved , then you will see the change! Big Time.
Not if the model just bounces off the plane, which is likely.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:41 AM
HoundDog

Just wait until an airliner is involved , then you will see the change! Big Time.

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Not if the model just bounces off the plane, which is likely.

OK FLAP & SPORT: and anyone else Whats the answer to the problem of people flying R/C TOY's, Mainly QUADS where and when they are not supposed to. If they can't be stopped what then do we do to separate them from us
(The responsible R/C TOY) flyers, so the government (FAA/NTSB) doesn't ban all R/C TOY flying if or when some man carrying airplane is ATTRACT buy one of these QUADS R/C TOY's.

I've heard a lot of whining and speculation and arguing, if or even when it happens, as to the consequences but I don't hear any solutions from any one. Come on Guys let's stop the bickering and put on our thinking caps and come up with some constructive Ideas leading to a possible salutation. Hopefully this could be done long before the powers that be do it for us. If they do none of us are going to like their (FAA/NTSB) Solution.

Come on don't just ignore this problem, let's really try to come up with a viable solution and maybe we can close out this FORUM ounce and for all.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:01 AM
Sport_Pilot

There is no solution for something that isn't a real problem.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:58 AM
HoundDog

There is no solution for something that isn't a real problem.
Sporty:
Why would U say there isn't a Real Problem to solve?
What is the sense of this Forum if there isn't a problem with QUADS being flown when and where they should not be flown.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:29 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Then porcia83; What would be your solution? If U have the answers Please tell the rest of us.

In any case I still believe that the offending Individual has to be made responsible for their actions
in the eyes of the authorities, the public, & the News Media, Not the hobby as a whole. How that is accomplished is the is still the 800 LB Gorilla in the room.
And it doesn't have to be. How that can be accomplished is to simply follow the regulations and fine the crap out of the guys. A $10,000 fine for someone with a $1000 quadcopter might just make some people sit up and think about doeing stupid things And a year in jail would help too. This entire "criminal justice" mansy-pamsy crap we have going on is the problem You don't solve issues like this without pain!
Old 06-08-2015, 11:53 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

I'm thinking that back in the day, the horse and buggy crowd didn't take to kindly to that new fangled contraption that started showing up on the roads called the automobile. Oh my laawd do you see how that thing drove on the road? Well surely there will be an accident some day with those things, most certainly one will cause damage and injury. By golly eventually one did, and I bet more than a few people said...SEE...told you it would happen.

My point, even if not exactly on point () is that there is not much difference between people constantly saying "it's not if, but when" something is going to happen, and somehow it always involves an airliner full of people and what the media sometimes does in terms of scare tactics. . Is this a completely new problem, no, it's not. There have been concerns about safety and the possibility of injury/damage from all types of RC aircraft, and there always will be. Also, to your point about regs, we have them now, and we will always have more later. They will do little to nothing to prevent a problem, rather than are there to deal with the problem after the fact.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:53 AM
Sport_Pilot

Sporty:
Why would U say there isn't a Real Problem to solve?
What is the sense of this Forum if there isn't a problem with QUADS being flown when and where they should not be flown.
Because they won't cause any real damage. OK it is a problem, but not the screaming urgency on this board. I would rather kill Obamacare than solve this.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:19 PM
porcia83
Banned

Well since you asked so nicely, I'll give you my suggestion, but just for you, not the "rest of us". I won't give you an answer, because nobody has one yet, anywhere.

1. Try to use the same font as well as the same text color. That's a huge start right there.
2. Dispel the myth that there is any 800 or so pound gorilla in the room, there isn't.
3. Recognize right away that nothing drastic needs to be done, nor will it be.
4. Recognize immediately that nothing we can do can change some people's mind that an outlaw drone operator is immediately related to what 99.9% of the rest of us do. It can't be done, so why try?
5. Immediately ban the use of the word ban (ironic right). It's a cowards way out of dealing with an issue that frightens them, or that they don't fully understand. Banning anything rarely accomplishes anything (obviously relating to this issues lest things get way off track) good.
6. Support and encourage the AMA to take the lead in partnering with any and all branches of the federal govt to draft and create appropriate rules/guidelines/laws for the use of RC aircraft of all types.
7. Help to ensure that the rules on the books, and those that might be created, are strictly and uniformly enforced. Don't plead people out, don't take $100.00 for a fine that should be $10,000.00. If someone has broken a law, file the appropriate charges, and let the process take over. As for follow up and the equal amount of publicity to show the ramifications of breaking the law.
8. Recognize that my best chance of affecting change is at MY level. Fly responsibly. Set the example. Promote the hobby and all of it's facets appropriately. Get into schools, open the flying field to the public, get into an outreach program (hey...we have this thing called Aviation Day....hint hint).
9. Invite local politicians or the news media to a flying event. Differentiate what we do from what the outlaws of the skies do (I'm seeking trademark on that) Hmm...DJI Desperadoes...Parrot Pirots, the list could go on. Have a point person read up on the issue, and partner with your local AMA reps and see if they can be involved as well. Successful campaigns of many kinds become successful from lots of grunt work at local grassroots levels. It's not the fun and glory that some think. This has been an issue that has been brewing for sometime, and will continue to do so.

Just some random thoughts of the top of my head......

Last edited by porcia83; 06-08-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:25 PM
porcia83
Banned

Because they won't cause any real damage. OK it is a problem, but not the screaming urgency on this board. I would rather kill Obamacare than solve this.
Because Obamacare is an urgency on this board? I know the issue overall deals with politics, but why not keep the Obama crap out of this?
Old 06-08-2015, 01:30 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Well since you asked so nicely, I'll give you my suggestion, but just for you, not the "rest of us". I won't give you an answer, because nobody has one yet, anywhere.

1. Try to use the same font as well as the same text color. That's a huge start right there.
2. Dispel the myth that there is any 800 or so pound gorilla in the room, there isn't.
4. Recognize immediately that nothing we can do can change some people's mind that an outlaw drone operator is immediately related to what 99.9% of the rest of us do. It can't be done, so why try?
5. Immediately ban the use of the word ban (ironic right). It's a cowards way out of dealing with an issue that frightens them, or that they don't fully understand. Banning anything rarely accomplishes anything (obviously relating to this issues lest things get way off track) good.
6. Support and encourage the AMA to take the lead in partnering with any and all branches of the federal govt to draft and create appropriate rules/guidelines/laws for the use of RC aircraft of all types.
7. Help to ensure that the rules on the books, and those that might be created, are strictly and uniformly enforced. Don't plead people out, don't take $100.00 for a fine that should be $10,000.00. If someone has broken a law, file the appropriate charges, and let the process take over. As for follow up and the equal amount of publicity to show the ramifications of breaking the law.
8. Recognize that my best chance of affecting change is at MY level. Fly responsibly. Set the example. Promote the hobby and all of it's facets appropriately. Get into schools, open the flying field to the public, get into an outreach program (hey...we have this thing called Aviation Day....hint hint).
9. Invite local politicians or the news media to a flying event. Differentiate what we do from what the outlaws of the skies do (I'm seeking trademark on that) Hmm...DJI Desperadoes...Parrot Pirots, the list could go on. Have a point person read up on the issue, and partner with your local AMA reps and see if they can be involved as well. Successful campaigns of many kinds become successful from lots of grunt work at local grassroots levels. It's not the fun and glory that some think. This has been an issue that has been brewing for sometime, and will continue to do so.

Well worded. What exactly is your clout in regards to the AMA?
We are seeking solutions for this ongoing problem, others see it as not a problem, UNTIL something happens, which has numerous times according to the news articles. We can not simply put our heads in the Sand, hoping it will go away, it will not.
People here do not want more regulations in the RC community, but in my opinion, this problem open up a new box of problems, which we have not had for many years until now.
Yes, there needs to be Very Strict Regulations in operating drones, FPV, UAv's, but especially Drones, which are so popular now.

#1.When a person buys one of these, he must show Proof of AMA Membership. These proposed rules shall be forwarded by the company selling the aircraft, and will be kept on file with the AMA.

#2 He must take a written test in Safe operation of the aircraft and know the Laws pertaining to it's use.
#3.Must show proof of Homeowners Insurance.
#4.Must have previous flying experience in RC and explain written proof.
#5 Not hold the AMA responsible for unsafe operation of the aircraft, accept full responsibility of it's use, in a written statement and a copy to be held by the AMA of the document.
#6. Do not fly within 5 miles of an airport.
#7 Do not endanger people aboard any aircraft,
#8 Do not fly this aircraft above 400 FT. AGL.

The individual signing this document then puts himself in the jurisdiction of the courts.

These are just a few suggestions I am offering. Will they pass through the AMA?, so if something doe's happen, we all don't get punished for the careless actions of a few.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:28 PM
porcia83
Banned

We are seeking solutions for this ongoing problem, others see it as not a problem, UNTIL something happens, which has numerous times according to the news articles. We can not simply put our heads in the Sand, hoping it will go away, it will not.
People here do not want more regulations in the RC community, but in my opinion, this problem open up a new box of problems, which we have not had for many years until now.
Yes, there needs to be Very Strict Regulations in operating drones, FPV, UAv's, but especially Drones, which are so popular now.

#1.When a person buys one of these, he must show Proof of AMA Membership. These proposed rules shall be forwarded by the company selling the aircraft, and will be kept on file with the AMA.

#2 He must take a written test in Safe operation of the aircraft and know the Laws pertaining to it's use.
#5 Not hold the AMA responsible for unsafe operation of the aircraft, accept full responsibility of it's use, in a written statement and a copy to be held by the AMA of the document.

The individual signing this document then puts himself in the jurisdiction of the courts.

These are just a few suggestions I am offering. Will they pass through the AMA?, so if something doe's happen, we all don't get punished for the careless actions of a few.
The beauty (imo) of being a member of the AMA is that we all have the same amount of "clout" (lol...does anyone really have clout?) Each person can have their say in the matter, and more importantly put that action into words which I think is more powerful. Say, then do. I';m a member of a club that has as safety officer. At every monthly meeting he reiterates that every member is their own safety committee. If they see a problem, then are able to deal with it on behalf of the club. Also, keep in mind one doesn't have to be in the AMA to do these things. There are plenty of folks who don't belong to the AMA, and have no intention of joining for a multitude of reasons. Many of them might be flying the simple set ups, as well as more costly and complicated ones. They can still promote the same common sense, and safety focused message that any of us can.

As to your other points, I feel almost the same about making something mandatory as I do banning something. I totally get your thought process which seems to come from a place of "safety". Some of your measures would carry additional costs (testing, h/o insurance, AMA membership). Not that I think the AMA would mind new members, but I wonder how many of those folks would keep there membership after they got their "ticket". Keep i mind it's not just multirotors that are doing the FPV things, planks were doing that far earlier than multi rotors were. And the components cane be purchased separately and then built. Someone earlier said if there is away around something someone will find it. Totally agree about the courts and jurisdication, and the earlier comments from my fellow nutmegger rgmburill...let the courts at 'em. Have a nice $10,000 fine and a possible jail term facing you before you pop that aircraft up for some great footage. Wouldn't stop everyone but even if it stopped a few...good deal.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:11 PM
HoundDog

well since you asked so nicely, i'll give you my suggestion, but just for you, not the "rest of us". I won't give you an answer, because nobody has one yet, anywhere.

ain't gona happen
that's your opinion alone most think there is
only a fool thinks there is not a problem.
that's just defeatist.
tell that to the faa/ntsb white house and the others with the power.
6. Support and encourage the ama to take the lead in partnering with any and all branches of the federal govt to draft and create appropriate rules/guidelines/laws for the use of rc aircraft of all types.
very possible but that doesn't dispel the 800 lb gorilla does it?
i agree
8. Recognize that my best chance of affecting change is at my level. Fly responsibly. Set the example. Promote the hobby and all of it's facets appropriately. Get into schools, open the flying field to the public, get into an outreach program (hey...we have this thing called aviation day....hint hint).
many clubs including all that i belong to all ready do that.
9. Invite local politicians or the news media to a flying event. Differentiate what we do from what the outlaws of the skies do (i'm seeking trademark on that) hmm...dji desperadoes...parrot pirots, the list could go on. Have a point person read up on the issue, and partner with your local ama reps and see if they can be involved as well. Successful campaigns of many kinds become successful from lots of grunt work at local grassroots levels. It's not the fun and glory that some think. This has been an issue that has been brewing for sometime, and will continue to do so.
Put in one of thogreat idea ... Be wary of the news media. Remember the guy the fbi arrested in boston that wanted to bomb the capital with explosives in jet models. Long story short all the little news girl kept asking "how much c-4 can use jets.
where?
Old 06-08-2015, 03:17 PM
HoundDog

Did I NOT suggest all this Months ago and got my ARASH handed to me?
Old 06-08-2015, 03:44 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

what's Obamacare?
Old 06-08-2015, 03:58 PM
porcia83
Banned

where?
When? Why? Who? What?

that's just defeatist.

One man's "defeatist" is another man's "reality". And you are proving my point there, and down below. You have failed to convince me of your point, and apparently failed to convince others of your suggestions previously. You can continue to try to hammer the point home, but it won't work. So if you keep doing the same thing over and over, what sense does that make. There is nothing defeatist in recognizing that it's impossible to get everyone to see something one way. This, and pretty much every thread on every site validates that.

So instead of banging one's head against the wall, don't you think it makes sense to try to reach the largest audience possible with a message and know that most will hopefully agree or at least understand what you are saying?

Did I NOT suggest all this Months ago and got my ARASH handed to me?
It might not have made sense then, might not now, and might not in the future to everyone. Again, that's a reality, not a defeatist point of view.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:50 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am against making people show proof of AMA membership to buy a model , As for taking a test in safe operation of your craft I think it's a good idea but I don't how we could enforce such a law.

I don't think it's a good idea to make someone show proof of HO ins, I don't think anyone should have to show proof of previous RC experience, If the person is a AMA member they have every
right to file a claim with the AMA if need be however if they are not following the safety code their claim could be denied.

I agree with not flying within 5 miles unless their flying site happen to be within the 5 mile zone. I agree with do not endanger people on any aircraft, As for the 400' thing it's not really being
enforced at this time at most sites as far as I know and I doubt there is a way to accurately enforce such.

Just my .02
Old 06-09-2015, 03:45 AM
HoundDog

One needs Instruction time to Fly a full scale plane, Drive a car or motorcycle. The way Bicyclist ride on the road they should also have a license to too. In the SE Wisconsin area I know of one Club that has a formal Student training program made up of 10 maneuvers any R/C pilot should be able to accomplish to solo. It works as many times as I have been there I have never seen a close call with someone flying out of control, Over the Flight line, Crashing in the parking lot ect. That happens all the time at other clubs I belong to a frequent and no one says a word. Not even the club officers. If anything at all is said at all it just pretty much ignored. These infractions aren't only by students or low time R/C Pilots either. Funny thing (Well not so funny HA HA) but just the same it seams it 99.99% of the time the same people over and over again. I'll bet that every club has a couple of guys that seem to be supporting the LHS or HK Tower ect. I believe a formal Student training program makes for better pilots. That is if it's structured not just haphazard and letting the student fly willy nilly all over the place and not even try to fly a pattern. I've watched many different fellow club members through out the years and as we all know, not every oe is created with the same talents. There some peopling flying that should may be go get a Large Sail boat a lawn chair and a 6 pack, & and when they sober up wonder where the Boat went.

http://youtu.be/VXxCaupAQ8Q

porcia83 The text is just for U.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:52 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ira d
.......I don't think anyone should have to show proof of previous RC experience ......

Hi Ira ,

I just wanted to point out here , that as a new member , in order to join any RC club I've ever joined , I and every other new member had to fly a demonstration flight to prove having the skills to fly without endangering the other members . At each club it wasn't treated like a big deal , no 100 question written test , just one of the club officers watching the new member(S) fly one flight and it usually only took less than a minute to know who could fly VS who needed a bit more work on the buddy box before they were turned loose . Someone with skills is easy to spot . So is someone who still needs a bit of practice on those skills . I'm happy that the clubs in my area have training programs in place for people who have no previous RC experience but who want to take up the hobby . And sure , for every 10 or 15 recruits they may only get one new member , but any new members are better than the net loss most clubs seem to have faced over the past 20 years or so .

So I gotta ask , do clubs in your area do a check flight for new members , or do they just join , pay their dues , and fly without being observed by a club officer first ?
Old 06-09-2015, 05:23 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

I just heard in the Orlando News, at a concert of a well known artist the producers were using a drone for pictures, and...... Yes it got one person, I think the singer got hit in the hand.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:58 AM
porcia83
Banned

One needs Instruction time to Fly a full scale plane, Drive a car or motorcycle. The way Bicyclist ride on the road they should also have a license to too. In the SE Wisconsin area I know of one Club that has a formal Student training program made up of 10 maneuvers any R/C pilot should be able to accomplish to solo. It works as many times as I have been there I have never seen a close call with someone flying out of control, Over the Flight line, Crashing in the parking lot ect. That happens all the time at other clubs I belong to a frequent and no one says a word. Not even the club officers. If anything at all is said at all it just pretty much ignored. These infractions aren't only by students or low time R/C Pilots either. Funny thing (Well not so funny HA HA) but just the same it seams it 99.99% of the time the same people over and over again. I'll bet that every club has a couple of guys that seem to be supporting the LHS or HK Tower ect. I believe a formal Student training program makes for better pilots. That is if it's structured not just haphazard and letting the student fly willy nilly all over the place and not even try to fly a pattern. I've watched many different fellow club members through out the years and as we all know, not every oe is created with the same talents. There some peopling flying that should may be go get a Large Sail boat a lawn chair and a 6 pack, & and when they sober up wonder where the Boat went.

http://youtu.be/VXxCaupAQ8Q

porcia83 The text is just for U.
You're the best dude....and now that I can read along easily, I agree with you 100%, or as they say, +1.

Great clip too...never wanna have a crash, or miss one.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:10 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
And now we even have trained performers getting in on the act . You will read in tomorrow's news about the singer Enrique Iglesias grabbing one out of the air at a concert so he could give the audience a "drone's eye view" from the stage but ended up with a handful of cut fingers instead . It is my understanding from the story that this drone is routinely flown at the concerts to record overhead footage of the concert .

Hmm , let's see , we got ,

Flying over people's heads

Grabbing or touching a model in flight unless to divert it from hitting someone

and the general idea once again that it's all fun and harmless to do both above mentioned activities till someone ends up with a pawful of cut piggies ...

Can people really be that stupid ? Really ? Hey , let's grab a flippin flyin blender out of the sky , and if it works maybe we work up to juggling running chainsaws next !!!
Originally Posted by lopflyers
I just heard in the Orlando News, at a concert of a well known artist the producers were using a drone for pictures, and...... Yes it got one person, I think the singer got hit in the hand.
Hi Lopflyers , I posted about this on 5/31/15 , the day it was first reported in the news . The incident happened in Mexico and thus is the responsibility of the Mexican authorities , who likely have bigger fish to fry than fining some dolt for trying to grab a rather large quadcopter mid flight ? I heard of no charges of any type levied against the singer and doubt there will be . Now if such happened here in the US , I'll bet he'd at least end up speaking with the FAA , and since he himself was the only injured I'll bet the disipline would extend only to being reminded of the new commercial UAS statutes , as this most certainly was not "hobby use" of the technology ....
Old 06-09-2015, 06:31 AM
Sport_Pilot

I am against making people show proof of AMA membership to buy a model , As for taking a test in safe operation of your craft I think it's a good idea but I don't how we could enforce such a law.
Why don't we just stop feeding the troll?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.