Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Old 06-20-2015, 10:03 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by [email protected]
i dont belive what people say about the drones i think they are just a bunch of talkers
[email protected]:

What DO people say about the drones ? Tell all of us PLZ. Clarify your statement.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:09 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
[email protected]:

What DO people say about the drones ? Tell all of us PLZ. Clarify your statement.
Not sure but I invasion oneaew driving his Oldsmobile with a graphic of a kid peeing on a quad... affixed proudly and prominently on the back glass...LOL
Old 06-20-2015, 10:20 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
Not sure but I invasion oneaew driving his Oldsmobile with a graphic of a kid peeing on a quad... affixed proudly and prominently on the back glass...LOL
Chalk one up for O'l Crank "SHAFT" U do have a twisted seance of hummer don't U...
Keep up the good work. LOL x 2
Old 06-20-2015, 02:56 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

i dont belive what people say about the drones i think they are just a bunch of talkers
OK, oneaew, now tell us all why we are a bunch of talkers, Duh? That is what Forums are for, to talk about things.
If you don't believe all the talk, could I suggest you go to the Balloon Forum on RCU, they talk about everything! How to Inflate, How much Pressure, What Size, How much String? a whole bunch of good information. You can read it when you are out in the Desert all by yourself, then there is nobody to Whine too! Except a Jack Rabbet or two.
Sip on your cool clear water, then add 1 shot of JD, on the second drink, use 2 shots on the third drink, then after that, who cares? Add JD as needed, then you can forget about Drones, and sleep, passed out under your truck or whatever you rode out there in, if it was a Camel, don't give him any JD, or you're in big trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by FLAPHappy; 06-20-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:34 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
Is this a sort of "pictures , or it didn't happen" disbelief on your part ? Do the guys who fly them have to post videos for you to believe ? I'm just curious , I guess , of exactly what it is that you don't believe ?
Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
OK, oneaew, now tell us all why we are a bunch of talkers, Duh? That is what Forums are for, to talk about things.
If you don't believe all the talk, could I suggest you go to the Balloon Forum on RCU, they talk about everything! How to Inflate, How much Pressure, What Size, How much String? a whole bunch of good information. You can read it when you are out in the Desert all by yourself, then there is nobody to Whine too! Except a Jack Rabbet or two.
Sip on your cool clear water, then add 1 shot of JD, on the second drink, use 2 shots on the third drink, then after that, who cares? Add JD as needed, then you can forget about Drones, and sleep, passed out under your truck or whatever you rode out there in, if it was a Camel, don't give him any JD, or you're in big trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey FLAPHappy ,

No need to badger the guy , I and Hound Dog already asked him to explain his statement and chippin away at him likely ain't gonna prompt him to answer any quicker . Kinda weird the whole drunk thing and all , , Naa , ain't goin there .....
Old 06-20-2015, 04:01 PM
HoundDog

I'm now so convinced that the drone game will grow to unbelievable numbers. It has not yet peaked for the R/C Toy crowed but it will and people will become tired with them. Now the commercial aspect i.e. drones for hire will only grow as many organizations from fire, police, traffic watch and control, video by all kinds of by movie producers even by the DNR and all sorts of law enforcement. Drones as the become more sifistacated and larger with greater lifting capacity and longer flight times even more uses will be found for them replacing maned copters and planes. I believe this will bring about a better understanding by the public, FAA/NTSB and all types of operators and enthouist alike as to what when and where these craft may be flown. Then this forum will become a MOOT point.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:33 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Originally Posted by HoundDog
I'm now so convinced that the drone game will grow to unbelievable numbers. It has not yet peaked for the R/C Toy crowed but it will and people will become tired with them. Now the commercial aspect i.e. drones for hire will only grow as many organizations from fire, police, traffic watch and control, video by all kinds of by movie producers even by the DNR and all sorts of law enforcement.
I think that's an accurate assessment of where 'drones' are headed.

Speaking for myself, I don't fly my DJI Phantom nearly as much now as I did a year ago when I got it. The 'new' has kind of worn off, and frankly, it's a little boring to fly. I would suspect there are other 'drone' flyers out there that have probably reached the same place. So, it mostly sits on the shelf now, I take it to the field in case a club bubba loses a plane in the woods and an eye in the sky might help locate it. I sometimes fly just off the shore line to fish spot and see if it's worth getting the kayak out.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:38 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Hey FLAPHappy ,

No need to badger the guy , I and Hound Dog already asked him to explain his statement and chippin away at him likely ain't gonna prompt him to answer any quicker . Kinda weird the whole drunk thing and all , , Naa , ain't goin there .....
You are right, all he does is complain about drones, in almost every post he has made. He never gives an answer on how he feels, or why? If he came up with something, then it would be worth a little effort on his part to explain what he says.
I was putting in a little humor, nothing serious. Oneaew,, I was just kidding around , we would just like to hear why you make statements but never explain why. I guess you really don't need to explain if you don't want too.

Last edited by FLAPHappy; 06-20-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:39 PM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Apologies if I have posted this before ... but, it's such a positive spin on the whole "drone" thing.

This is a "kickstarter" ad for the manufacturers of Lily ... a semi-autonomous quad.

I think it's fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vGcH0Bk3hg
Old 06-21-2015, 03:45 AM
BobbyMcGee

One of the local hobby shops around here (because five others have gone out of business in the last four years) can't keep the drones on their shelf. Most of the customers pre-order the drones just to make sure they get one when it arrives at the hobby shop.

The drone market has taken off!
Old 06-21-2015, 07:08 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by bogbeagle
Apologies if I have posted this before ... but, it's such a positive spin on the whole "drone" thing.

This is a "kickstarter" ad for the manufacturers of Lily ... a semi-autonomous quad.

I think it's fantastic.
The interesting/scary thing about this flying camera is that it completely removes radio control of the traditional sense from the operation . I saw other videos of this very product and it maintains a specified distance from a round transducer that can be worn by skiers , bicycle racers , or just about anyone who wants high quality video "following the action" .

I use the descriptor "interesting/scary" for the reason that as a photographer's tool , this IS the most interesting development in photography since the elimination of conventional film . The scary part , to me , is of course the removal of the "RC" aspect . I don't know about you , but my hobby is the remote piloting of miniature aircraft by my own hand , in real time , with no autonomous operation .

This is a truly great camera platform and I applaud it's development for the photography hobby . BUT ! In no way no how , is this even remotely (HA ! little pun there) associated with the hobby I engage in and as these flying cameras become more and more autonomous they become less and less related to the hobby of remotely piloting miniature models of real aircraft .

I wonder how these are being received at the mainstream photography forums ? Since they have far more to do with photography than the RC hobby , I'd love to hear what a few photographers who aren't RCers think of them .
Old 06-21-2015, 08:06 AM
bogbeagle

I am confident that LILY will have huge appeal.

I'm a kayaker, myself ... it appeals to me.

But, cyclists, climbers, surfers, trail riders, anyone who enjoys the outdoors ... could find pleasure in one of these. How about wedding videos and Estate sales?

Sure, it has little to do with model flying. I'm like you, in that I'm not interested in autonomous systems per se. LILY is just a great tool, afaics.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:39 AM
init4fun

I am confident that LILY will have huge appeal.

I'm a kayaker, myself ... it appeals to me.

But, cyclists, climbers, surfers, trail riders, anyone who enjoys the outdoors ... could find pleasure in one of these. How about wedding videos and Estate sales?

Sure, it has little to do with model flying. I'm like you, in that I'm not interested in autonomous systems per se. LILY is just a great tool, afaics.
!00% agreed , if I were still into some of the active sports of my youth , you bet I'd want this thing following along taking video ! I really do think things like this will revolutionize "follow the action" photography by the same degree that the LIPO really made possible the practical electric model Heli that these machines are bred from . The combination of a decent power source , electronics/computers finally up to the task , and perfected miniature optics makes a machine like this well poised to take plenty of work away from full scale photography crews for pennies on the dollar of what 10 year's ago "aerial fly by" footage cost . Funny , even as one who never really was all that into photography , I'd have to try one just for the sheer technological triumph of what has been accomplished . This will be huge , I believe that . If I were a Warren Buffet or Richard Branson type , I'd be buying into the whole drone scene with the same zeal as the owner of Amazon is ....
Old 06-21-2015, 08:43 AM
bogbeagle

I was reading about the image stabilisation ... which is achieved without moving parts.

Apparently, the camera takes a wide image, then crops away all the extraneous bits, such that the subject always remains in the centre of the shot.

Does that make sense?
Old 06-21-2015, 09:00 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

talt talk about the drones i have never seen one are there any in calif.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:27 AM
init4fun

I was reading about the image stabilisation ... which is achieved without moving parts.

Apparently, the camera takes a wide image, then crops away all the extraneous bits, such that the subject always remains in the centre of the shot.

Does that make sense?
Yes , It's the power of the modern microcomputer at work once again eliminating mechanical function . As you so rightly say , why have the complex mechanism of gearmotors with levers and linkage when the computer itself can process out the undesirable aspects of motion , while leaving you a crystal clear image . I knew years ago that as computers become more and more powerful they would replace all sorts of mechanical contrivances , the first of course being how the electronic calculator replaced the old mechanical "adding machine" that dominated before modern electronics .

I wish I could live to 200 years old , to see where this technology leads !
Old 06-21-2015, 09:29 AM
init4fun

talt talk about the drones i have never seen one are there any in calif.
So be the first !!!

Get out there , buy up a nice little quad and a go pro , and have at it . Even at 83 , ya never know , It just MAY change the way you see hobby endeavors !!!

Ya know ya want to .........
Old 06-21-2015, 09:34 AM
littlecrankshaf

LOL...Conversely, I am glad I won't...I barely eek by in this era...
Old 06-21-2015, 10:37 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by littlecrankshaf
LOL...Conversely, I am glad I won't...I barely eek by in this era...
I was determined to not be the stereotypical old guy who needs a youngster to stop the clock on the VCR from blinking "12:00" forever because the right time isn't set on it . As such , I have followed along with modern tech and once the whole menu driven operational choices thing is mastered , it's a piece of cake . I do tend to think cars (real ones , full size) are getting a bit too smart for their own good , but that's only cause I worry about seeing folks driving along looking at that little GPS screen built into the dash of the newest cars , rather than looking at the road . I guess I like the tech better than I like the way some folks use it ....
Old 06-21-2015, 10:47 AM
HoundDog

Man this looks like a lot of fun...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zDDsX5xYcA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdHiQpYiXiM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jbpwqCCVbs Build racing mini quad part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNDe6dhKhXo Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-feiwYvF55Y Part 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0vOVZPzIMo Part 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hayQ1Noa_G8 Part 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxQoK3BDo7s Part 6
Old 06-21-2015, 08:22 PM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes ,

You could always have your head frozen like Walt Disney or Ted Williams.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:42 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Flight Risk

Flight Risk; From some of the Posts here on RCU it would seem
Half here have already accomplished that. LOL
Old 06-22-2015, 03:24 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Flight Risk
Those poor guys .... They were led to believe a lie , that they could be reanimated sometime in the future and have all their memories intact ....

The reality is , their heirs have been ripped off for an outrageous amount of money to keep frozen a couple of chunks of dead meat that ain't ever coming back .

Oh , and , if it's only the heads , where did they think the new body was going to come from ? Sure , heard of organ donation , but body donation ?

Screw it , better off to keep talkin bout oneaew's dreaded drones ... The dreaded drones , sounds like a good name for a rock band .....
Old 06-22-2015, 07:45 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I think it's fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vGcH0Bk3hg
Yea, just brilliant. No positive control on the thing at all.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:58 AM
littlecrankshaf

Somewhere in this menage someone proclaims Lilly is not a model by virtue of not having a human in direct radio control of it...made me wonder, if it had the shape of an Extra 260 would it then be a model???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.