Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Another Drone Pilot does it Again

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 07:34 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

And I hope like Hell Tom is right about no harm coming to our hobby , I really don't want to see anything bad happen , but I do have to admit to being a bit fearful of public reaction when something really ugly , accident wise , finally does eventually happen . The public , driven to a frenzy by the ghoulish media , seems to love banning things . Everything from supersized "Big Mac" hamburgers in some areas to lawn darts everywhere have been banned and folks are still having heart attacks and getting injured by sharp objects , so we all know how well bans on anything generally turn out ....
Old 06-30-2015, 07:47 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This discussion of drones keeps going on and on and on.....

I'm here all week, try the veal.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:42 AM
init4fun

Yea , oneaw keeps telling me how , well , just downright droning , the topic has become
Old 06-30-2015, 08:42 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

init4fun, that something really bad may have happened. It seems the forest fire air tankers in Washington (I think) were kept down because of idiots iwth drones. It was too dangerous to fly with uncontrolled activity in the area. How many homes were destroyed because some people just wanted to have fun?
Old 06-30-2015, 08:59 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by rgburrill
init4fun, that something really bad may have happened. It seems the forest fire air tankers in Washington (I think) were kept down because of idiots iwth drones. It was too dangerous to fly with uncontrolled activity in the area. How many homes were destroyed because some people just wanted to have fun?
Hi RG ,

Yes sir , it's no joke or fun and games when some idiot blocks access to emergency operations . It's exactly things of that nature that I fear will escalate and result in bans on private citizen's use of flying cameras . A shame that such a wonderful new technology will end up regulated because of a few morons with no common sense , but that seems to be the way all new technology ends up , a "free for all" at first and then much regulation when the idiots in society go about proving just how dangerous anything can be in the hands of a moron .

As much as I like the idea of FPV , It or no other single flight disipline are worth loosing the entire hobby over , and when "push comes to shove" with the ugly and the banning , I hope the rest of the hobby makes it through the turmoil unscathed .
Old 06-30-2015, 10:45 AM
porcia83
Banned

the irony too is that something like this this technology could probably be extremely helpful in these types of situations, yet the use of them needs to be coordinated and deployed wisely, unlike some yahoo who just wants to get some video to load online. I'm looking forward to a time when we can start seeing and reading stories about them being helpful with these types of situations. I think we've already seen some about how they have helped with farming and agriculture etc, now I'm hoping we see something the public will rally around.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:12 PM
Tugboat1st

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What has Disney World got to do with anything? Do they have low flying aircraft there that might be in harms way? And who is going to fly their quad 3 nautical miles away anyhow? You would have lost control that far away.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:25 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Tugboat1st
What has Disney World got to do with anything? Do they have low flying aircraft there that might be in harms way? And who is going to fly their quad 3 nautical miles away anyhow? You would have lost control that far away.

You might want to read up on what these things can do at this point. 3 miles is nothing!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wat8.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	2106677  
Old 06-30-2015, 06:51 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

The FAA considers any thing controlled by an auto pilot or a person not in the craft a DRONE i.e. All our R/C Toys are really Drones. The real problem is the News Media doesn't differentiate one type from another ... Quads type R/C TOYS are the problem because just about any one can reasonably be expected to be able to fly one with little or no training. As We all realize there in lies the problem. These people haven't had the training that comes with belonging to a strutted club environment.
But for the AMA not endorsing them because some people just don't like them ain't about to happen. There are too many big companys are selling. Places Like Best Buy Amazon, EBay, Hobby King Tower, and many many others. There is just too much money to be made from QUADs to expect them to go away anytime soon. Better Get Used to they they are here to stay. Well at least till people get bored with them. But then I'm just preaching to the Choir anyway JMHO.

Last edited by HoundDog; 06-30-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:04 PM
Tugboat1st

How's your eyesight?
Old 07-01-2015, 07:05 AM
warningshot

Originally Posted by Tugboat1st
How's your eyesight?
Ever heard of FPV?
Old 07-01-2015, 01:05 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by warningshot
Ever heard of FPV?
Wait...that can fly out of line of sight?
Old 07-01-2015, 01:55 PM
porcia83
Banned

Default No hot dogs or tacos were harmed in the filming, I think.

http://<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k6UoN8xryRM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Says the guy to the "pilot" after talking her ear off as she flew "what happened"?

Says the "pilot", "I don't know, the wind blew". ( I forgive her)

Old 07-01-2015, 01:59 PM
smeckert

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/m...river-32158649

Here is a good story about a drone!
Old 07-01-2015, 02:22 PM
porcia83
Banned

Fantastic!
Old 07-01-2015, 03:49 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh no, check this one out Tom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lSavYHC0WE
Old 07-01-2015, 04:57 PM
smeckert

https://youtu.be/NDMHVwWu1cE

Now this looks cool, but I wouldn't fly over people or "classic cars" like that.
Guess that's what insurance is for. The local paper has no problem using his footage, the State of Michigan even had him shoot the grand opening of their new river walk park and released it to the media.
He has some great views of freighters going under the Bluewater Bridge too. Don't think he could sink one, but I guess it could start an international incident if he hit a foreign one.

Last edited by smeckert; 07-01-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:08 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thought I heard on the news some woman got KO'd by a falling drone ? It will be daily from now on I suppose.. We had a group of guys getting into them in our club ..but they seem to have given up on them lately.. hardly ever see one at the field.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:17 PM
smeckert

TKO I think would be more appropriate.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:27 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by smeckert
https://youtu.be/NDMHVwWu1cE

Now this looks cool, but I wouldn't fly over people or "classic cars" like that.
Guess that's what insurance is for. The local paper has no problem using his footage, the State of Michigan even had him shoot the grand opening of their new river walk park and released it to the media.
He has some great views of freighters going under the Bluewater Bridge too. Don't think he could sink one, but I guess it could start an international incident if he hit a foreign one.
As with many of the videos like this, the scenery and the images are pretty cool, but I feel a pucker factor when I see them over that densely populated an area. Call me risk adverse...but all those cars (and not a Porsche to be seen ) If an organization wants to assume the risk, have at it, they certainly have deep pockets. That was one huge classic car show though, sweet rides.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:32 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by foodstick
Thought I heard on the news some woman got KO'd by a falling drone ? It will be daily from now on I suppose.. We had a group of guys getting into them in our club ..but they seem to have given up on them lately.. hardly ever see one at the field.
Originally Posted by smeckert
TKO I think would be more appropriate.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33345417

Ironically the BBC is the only news organization I could see that had an update to the story, namely that the pilot of the aircraft had come forward and had been in touch with authorities. None of the US based news orgs had updated coverage.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:10 PM
smeckert

Porcia83, that's a small one!
Second weekend of August (Wednesday on) we have Woodward Dream cruise, 10 miles of every car you can dream of. Packed wall to wall, 4 lanes each way. Check out videos of it.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:11 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by foodstick
One page back , page #76 post #1891 to be exact , dated 6/29/15 . Below is a capture of the original post ...

Originally Posted by init4fun
And in tonight's news ; 6/29/15 , In Seattle at a pride rally , a woman was knocked out by a falling quadcopter being flown over the event by person(s) unknown . The woman was treated for a concussion and witnesses told police the quadcopter struck the side of a building , disabling it and sending it to the ground where it struck the young woman in the head . Police are reportedly looking for a white male with a tattoo of a woman on his body .

I replaced the word "drone" with the word "quadcopter" in the story because that's what the news report showed , a 4 bladed Heli that they claim to cost approx $1200 . Was it taking pictures/video for hire ? Or was it being piloted by yet another ignorant dolt without the good common sense to not fly directly over folk's heads ?

The rest of the wording is unchanged from the report I saw .....
Old 07-01-2015, 08:13 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Here's the link to the Seattle event. These things will result in more restrictions on our hobby...AMA made a huge mistake welcoming them. The media can't handle the subtle distinction of drones vs hobby planes.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...parade-n384076
And here's Franklin's post of the link to the story ....
Old 07-01-2015, 11:23 PM
Tugboat1st

At 3 and 3/8 miles away.....Good luck with that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.